Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Utopia está en el horizonte. Me acerco dos pasos, ella se aleja dos pasos. Camino diez pasos y el horizonte se corre diez pasos más allá. Por mucho que yo camine, nunca la alcanzaré. Para que sirve la utopia? Para eso sirve: para caminar.

(Utopia is at the horizon. I walk two steps, she distances herself two steps. I walk ten more, and the horizon runs other ten further away. As much as I walk, I'll never reach it. What utopia is for? It is for this reason: to walk.)
- Eduardo Galeano

Thank you for that quote, it resonates to me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I miss my art teacher from Tech, she got brain cancer and died after i left.

Such a lovely woman, she stood out in my area as she was from Donegal, Presbyterian and spoke Gaelic natively as her first language... not the usual combination to be sure. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Speaking of, it's been more or less exactly ten years I've been posting in these threads

Thanks for helping me see how terrible this country is, comrades, I was a self-satisfied 'why can't everyone just get along' liberal in 2011 and now I'm, well, *gestures downwards*

Anyway, pouring one out for the posters who posted then but don't post now

''Survive'' is one of the most important words these days. :mil101:

Those who have passed on are not forgotten.

edit: i run two computers at home, partial heating with included entertainment is fine by me.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 3, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I actually have wondered about this, if you adjust your heating to compensate is running electronics not just running a space heater that also does other things?

It's not an efficient alternative but it if you have them running anyway you may as well take advantage of it, though if i wanted a heater i would be running cutting edge Intel instead of AMD. :shrug:

Our current mild weather currently negates this atm.

I'm slightly tipsy so these posts may or may not be a coherent. :blush:

Currently dreading my next power bill in March/April, i can pay it but i don't want to give companies money unless required.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

After a whole day of wear my reusable gets a bit mucky around the nose clip, and the whole thing smells like my breath (I have to assume mouthwash and chewing gum sales have been through the roof these last two years). I just bought a ten-pack and now like any other item of clothing they get changed daily and chucked in the washing machine at the end of the week.

(Note: Don't absent-mindedly chuck them in with those Unstoppables scent thingies (look I like my sheets to smell nice, let me have one bourgeois comfort) unless you really fancy having a nosegay)

To get rid of that horrid scent i just dig out the tonsilloliths from the back of my throat. :barf:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That is a really nice and simple way of storing butter, i'm impressed.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

I watched that Potter reunion and her absence was delightful. I hope some of the cast agreed to be involved only on the condition that she wasn't.

Notably known JKR transphobia defender Robbie Coltrane was one of the few to film all his stuff on his own and didn't interact with the rest of the cast.

Sad to hear he's gone the same way. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

josh04 posted:

Stealing my own post from SFWF:

Thank you for the info, context matters. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Never read the books but have the box set and have marathoned all the movies several times.

Managed to get my first 30min walk of the year between rain showers. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The very definition of mixed messages is that I try and get 10k steps a day and there's a McDonalds 5k steps from my home.

The very definition of a first world problem. ;)

My feed today will consist of a small tin of sardines, gherkins, nuts & dried fruit (not a diet, just can't be arsed cooking today).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

Ah, yes, the movies. Which feature a 35 year old woman in a bath with a 14 year old boy.

He never had a ghost of a chance with her anyways.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You have some weird twitter subscriptions

Never had an account, twitter is filtered through SA like a good goon should. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Once El Cid season 3, The Boys season 3 and The Expanse season 6 are all on Amazon Prime i shall subscribe for a month and watch the whole lot, mid to late 2022 by my thinking. :-)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

And that dashing young turk's father was....?

Google tells me nothing! :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A fitting burial mound for Boris, preferably while he is still alive. :getin:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

He's a programmer who co-founded a company during the dot com bubble, that was bought out just before the bubble burst.
Then he bought into Paypal, but was forced out of it after loving with the owners, then joined Telsa and forced the owners out of that.

Pity that a shithead got so far from the dot com bubble, when it went I couldn't find a job for six years as graduated 2000.

Edit: As for your question, he's as much an engineer now as PT Barnum is a quantum temporal warp theorist. Watch a presentation of him showing off his latest grift. Especially the cybertruck one.
Btw, solar roofs, thats a Telsa project everyone forgot.

All of this to curtail his receding hairline, a lot of money and the ability to ''spin'' an idea.

I really hope the space stuff works out, but a lot of the rest is iffy.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesco & Lidl here, decent discounts for me on the Tesco clubcard and Lidl always has items at reasonable prices.

edit: as always with me nowadays; "it's even cheaper if you don't buy it" appears to be my mantra (used to be a horrid impulse buyer). :blush:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Language is like the virus, always mutating.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

winegums posted:

Not convinced it's going to work if I'm honest. I think he'll just bluster through (*posh noises* well we all did what we thought was right during, uh the, ah, pandemic. As Prometheus said to Aphrodite, "sic latinus Sigmund dictus")

The only way he goes is if the party throws him out.

Why are Greek gods speaking Latin? :kiddo:

Regarding Boris; we got the leader the UK deserved. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I'm amazed that people genuinely believe Labour is salvageable. It isn't. It's hosed.
We're hosed.

That definitely appears to be the case.

Roll on with Irish reunification as it appears to be my only way out of this insanity....... (different insanities down south).

We're hosed.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

My cannabinoid content was already high when I caught covid in February last year. Weed didn't save me :(

Might have kept you off a ventilator, which is apparently.... not fun. :byodood:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I watched him for a couple of minutes and still stand by my view that all sitting Tory MPs and their immediate family members should be killed and institutions such as Eton be ground into dust.

I don't normally feel the need for old testament vengeance but i feel the amount of pain they have caused needs to be paid for. :colbert:

That's enough of me viewing parliament for today/week, it's bad for my soul.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I wonder how long the lorry/container queue is at the ports now, it's very quiet.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

"Fetch one's murdering hat, one shall be stepping out for a while"

A German gun to kill a German son (Mauser C96.. doing it old school). :commissar:

edit:

Barry Foster posted:

How my hair look, Mother?

You look good, boy

That's a sweet callback. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 12, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Technically I think that is a spanish copy of a german gun because the factory that made those is based in spain.

A pimped out Astra Model 900 then?

My knowledge is based mostly on watching C&Rsenal a lot. :blush:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think so yes! There is a good forgotten weapons videos on damascening if you check youtube, really impressive work.

Apparently wikipedia says they gave a pile of them to Stalin during the spanish civil war, not sure what Stalin would use 30 odd gold spanish mausers for but I guess they thought it would help.

I remember footage of Churchill giving Stalin a sword (a big medieval designed one) and the Man of Iron going wtf!?! while holding it awkwardly, at the Yalta Conference possibly.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I quite liked his work... then i read his biography which was quickly followed a big no loving way! Nope! Nope! Nope! :byodood:
edit: basically he did his sister most of his life, the kids.... and the dog..... let the statue fall.

That was me, looks to be going about as well as expected then. :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's not even a good statue I could make a better statue than that and it wouldn't even be a weird creepy nonce statue either.

Recut the stone so as to remove the child completely, job done.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

''De Chelonian Mobile!'' Never forget! :science:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

To any eejit who tries to make believe in a flat earth i shall reply: "i choose violence" and headbutt them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I did some reading about these once. The blast radius is about a mile?

That also happens to be the range so you're firing it and running the gently caress away and hoping for only second degree burns and a light bath of ionising radiation.

Launched from a recoilless rifle, range of 2km (1.25 miles).

Not used due to it's inherent inaccuracy..... yeah, good luck with that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

As a half Welsh part Irish person who lives in England I've always just assumed it was because Irish traditionally keep the body in the house so you want to get the wake and funeral sorted as quickly as possible before it starts stinking up the joint. whereas British people don't do wakes because celebration and joy in religious rites are a sign of popery, and as the body is in a funeral home or whatever you can spend more time organising a funeral on a day that's convenient for everyone without worrying about your living room smelling of Nan's corpse.

Pretty much all bodies get embalmed (no stink) and bringing the body home from getting embalmed is now part of the whole funeral process (for catholics at least).

It's a bloody hectic three days for the family involved and any decent funeral home here in N.I. speeds the process along in the house as smoothly as possible.

From my own experience you get carried along by it all and don't really start grieving till the actual funeral and then once again when everyone
else apart from family have gone.

edit: I'm in Northern Ireland (ex catholic) and have never been to a wake that had booze, maybe that works where nobody has to drive. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 14, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

In Ireland we differentiate between "wakes" and "removals" where you just awkwardly go and look at that body for a bit. Dunno how it works in the UK but it seems categorically incorrect to call it a wake unless you're chilling with the body in the room having a few jars

E: vvvvv that's just a reception, wake after a funeral? getouttahere

Must be a big loving room lad. lol

And don't get me started on carrying coffins up and down stairs. :rolleyes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Yeah a wake happens the night before a funeral. I think the original concept was that you are staying awake to protect the dead before the funeral.

Yep, you don't get too many people other than the older generation sitting and chatting the night away these days.

I've sat for my parents and granny but bugger doing that for every one with todays work schedules.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Suppose that's why people had a coffin hatch

Different country, different traditions..... and bigger loving houses by the looks of it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kecske posted:

I always assumed that it was normal that the wake was something that came after, like the wake of a boat. "In the wake of..." as something that follows something else.

etymology is fun!

Wake as in waking up from sleep.

Wake, funeral, food.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

Another factor that my partner's mother, who is a funeral director in England, cites is that there's just less funeral homes and more people who need to be buried in general. This creates a bit of a backlog. Compare that to Ireland where nearly every town has a pub/funeral home combo.

I've said to my partner now I'm living here to not even bother putting me through the system if I die and just send me back to Ireland. Regardless of cause, it is unreasonably long to expect a family to wait 3 weeks to a month to bury someone. I just find it disrespectful to the deceased to wait that long, but that's the Irish in me I guess.

Most towns in Northern Ireland have two funeral homes; one for catholics, one for protestants... what a country. :rolleyes:

When i'm dead i'm fairly sure i'll be well past caring.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Little interactive site i found on reddit regarding the lorry transport situation https://live.sixfold.com/ it gives border crossing times throughout Europe.

To and from the UK we are seeing 2-20km lorry queues on the UK side with 13-45 hour crossing times.

That's gonna mess poo poo up all right. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

probably but chaos is all we have at this point

if Boris stays we have the status quo and the status quo is really bad. Personally I hope things get worse and worse until something good happens or the country just explodes and sinks and survivors can claim asylum in Ireland.

So long as he doesn't try using Article 16 as his nuclear option here in N.I. i'm content to let him fester and decompose the Tory party from the inside. :yeshaha:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

He will once the two important preconditions are met. 1) He remembers that NI exists and that he doesn't need any votes from there 2) Biden has had an old man nap and forgotten that he's deeply Irish and did the Irish peace

Pretty sure he already did the first one.

Help me Obi Wan Biden, you're my only hope! :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I've always assumed that about 80% of us are plants. Fully expect to discover I've been working for GCHQ all along without realising it.

If i'm a plant, then i sexually identify as a wild rose.... little bees, little bees!!!!!! :kiss: :centrism: