Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like how "wrote some books about his thoughts on society and otherwise was a good lad by all accounts" and "directly and indirectly caused inhumane suffering for hundreds of slaves for his own profit" are apparently equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

The booster completely knocked me out for 2 days (not being able to move around on the bed due to pain knocked out) and I still have painfully swollen lymph nodes under my arm - which from what I read could last weeks and makes any exercise or manual labour with my left hand painful as gently caress.

Apparently it's pretty rare (0.5%) and a sign of strong immune response though so :confuoot: at least I'll be better protected?

e: nm

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 6, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

Show your working.

I can to some degree sympathise with Djokovic not wanting to get the vaccine because of side effects. I'm recovering from a rotator cuff dysfunction in my shoulder; I got my booster in that arm and I lost all my progress. For someone who uses their shoulder for a living, that would be a big problem.

But he doesn't want to avoid it for those reasons. He's just another antivaxxer dickhead and as such, he can suffer.

Official CDC US gov stats:

CDC posted:

More than 496 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through December 20, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 10,688 reports of death (0.0022%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. 

e: Although reported != proven.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Also, died after receiving that vaccine does not mean died because of the vaccine, and it's very disingenuous and extremely dangerous to say "died from the vaccines."

And please for the love of mercy do not say this is saying "died WITH covid, not OF covid" for the vaccines.

Reported to VAERS specifically means died where the vaccine was suspected as the cause, significantly more than 10000 people died in the US in a year.

2.9 million people died in that year in the US, with majority receiving the vaccine.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Again, 2.9 million people died in the US that year, it's not just "anyone who got the vaccine and died".

It also doesn't mean it was proven and even less so the only cause (the website lists only 9 cases where otherwise healthy people provably died of it, mostly due to blood clots).

And I'm by no means antivaxx and got the vaccines within days of being eligible.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 6, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Clearly it's not everyone - if 2.9 million people died in the US and most people received the vaccine, then the number who died - at some point - after getting the vaccines would also be a lot higher than 10k.

Nevermind I don't care enough to argue, but it's not as simple as if you got in a car crash 2 months after getting the vaccine you are counted either.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 6, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

VAERS only requires those who die within 7 days of inoculation.

Where is that from? But I suppose that explains it, sorry.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

Annoyingly they've not put it down in writing but if you go here

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/hcproviders/reportingadverseevents.html

you'll see from the PDF that all other vaccines have a 7 day window to report death from a vaccine. Longer window for other side-effects.

I guess that's fair enough.

They probably shouldn't put the number front-and-centre like that though, or be more clear what it includes (particularly if even the time range is not specified directly).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

On reflection I'm sorry Tess and others, I've not been feeling great today so I was a bit cranky.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

One thing about Musk is that he kept making risky bets that paid off, right from starting his own business, through investing in paypal and ebay to investing and becoming chairman of 2 pretty crazy startups (Tesla and SpaceX) and somehow managing to come out ahead.

There's an interesting CNBC interview/documentary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblPwXFb7TE) with the original Tesla founders which includes their views on Musk - not completely positive since they were forced out and all that, but they don't go into much detail because of settlements - and based on how they describe things he gave them money at a time when they really had nothing but an idea of what to make, they even admit they were surprised what all they needed to get production ready cars.

e: Also they say a lot of the early knowhow came from UK Lotus which I thought was pretty interesting.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 9, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Dabir posted:

Electric cars and rocketry are both things we've had decades of practice doing, it's not like he was investing in anything actually risky.

Maybe, but at the same time there were no large successful companies focused on either (at least in the "making solely electric cars" and "building private rockets" sense, obviously you've had companies making spacecraft components and rocket engines and automotive companies dabbling in electric cars as a side project for decades) and they do say they spent quite a long time trying to find investors before they roped him in, him being the first and biggest investor.

That doesn't mean he really did anything himself, but it's not like it was a sure bet either.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 9, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

But also wages rise with inflation too, so it's not as significant when it's not a short sharp shock.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yes they do, on average more than inflation in fact. Otherwise we'd all be getting £1 an hour and be happy for it.

You might not be getting a raise right now but your next job etc., will, on average, pay more.

Now keep in mind that's RPI rather than rent or house price inflation.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

My next job, that's a laugh.

Even if you're getting paid min wage, it was only £3.60 for adults over 22 in 1999 when introduced.

e: adjusted for inflation that is £6.65 today.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 10, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Actually looking it up earnings have grown slightly less than inflation in the recent years, but it's still more or less the same as inflation and as I've mentioned earlier min wage has grown faster.

The problem with seeing inflation as evil is that a lot of redistributive and pro-growth policies increase inflation; unless you want to be a fiscal hawk it's not easy to tame.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do the capital letters touch up too.close against the minuscule letters or something?

Made by said nonce, though arguably less controversial than his statues and drawings of naked children, modelled after his daughters, which he nonced.

Reading the guardian article about it really makes you wonder what's wrong with art critics who say poo poo like this:

quote:

When I contact MacCarthy, she tells me she has watched in “dismay” as the fact of Gill’s abuse of his daughters has grown to become the thing that defines him. “My book was never a book about incest, which is what one would imagine from many hysterical contemporary responses,”

and

quote:

She has, moreover, serious doubts about the latest approaches to his work. “There’s also the question of whether today’s curators are really equipped to deal with all the possible nuances of the sexual aberrations in the lives of artists, and how to interpret these to the viewing public.

Also he lived in the 20th century it's not some medieval thing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 12, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

That's literally the first nice and human thing I've heard about Boris tbh.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Kin posted:

How was the BBC during the Labour years again?

Ie were they still a party mouthpiece but against the Tories?

Kindof, yeah, but the Tories really went out of their way to control it via appointments, threats/regulation and policies.

e: More blairite than anti-Tory I guess.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Apologies for the meme and that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 17, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

PEDOCUBE 2022

E: JOIN ME, MASTER CHAPO

Soon to be joined by: "You Wouldn't Use End-To-End Encryption"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Kinder, Küche, Kirche?

The surprisingly more Nazi version of KKK than the actual KKK.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

graun posted:

The MPs’ draft labels the commission “in urgent need of change” and says it is too harsh and risks “the destruction of one of the world’s best gambling industry’s [sic],” leading to growth in the black market.

It accuses the commission of “acting ultra vires [beyond its remit] in its strategy of seeking to significantly reduce the number of problem gamblers”.

The MPs accuse the regulator, which has adopted a tougher stance amid rising public concern about gambling addiction, of displaying a “bullying attitude that has caused mental harm” within the industry and calls on the government to take it into “special measures” while determining whether it can “continue as it is”.

sad kleptocracy chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

learnincurve posted:

Friends, I’m here to give you all a link that will seem like usual dull Tory propaganda shite then fill you with fire and rage the end.

https://news.sky.com/story/is-your-job-at-risk-the-roles-most-likely-to-be-moved-out-of-the-uk-due-to-remote-working-12527495

This part of the article is the funniest poo poo:

article posted:

Remote work 'like chocolate'

"My metaphor is: a five-year-old will simultaneously be sick for eating too much chocolate whilst asking for more chocolate," he said.

"And at some point, someone's got to step in and say 'no, if you eat more chocolate you'll carry on being sick and that's not good for you'.

"We're sort of at that point a bit.

"And at the moment, everyone's worried that if they're the one that says 'no stop eating chocolate', the child will resign."