Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My buddy had his catalytic converter stolen early this morning. He heard the grinder and ran out of bed but by the time he got to his front door they were already pulling out in a van. My man reports the biggest pain in the rear end of the whole affair is how aggressive and lovely the cops were.

I had mine cut once and I would never have reported it to the cops if my apartment complex at the time didn't force me to. There is absolutely zero chance of any benefit to you and like <.001% chance of them catching whoever did it.

I was at least able to do it online, my report was suitably sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did you file an insurance claim? I thought most insurers required a police report.

I forget the details, it was a while back when things were cheaper. The timing of the year made it not particularly worthwhile to mess with insurance with deductibles and such.

Yeah I guess having one ripped on new years day in 2022 might make you more inclined to go through the hassle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

DKCecil never survived to the days chat threads became allowed or it'd be three :v:

I remember several of us trying to give him a heads up he was gonna get perma'd in the GDT where he was actively posting and he just kept on posting about some sunday night football game or something and never said a thing.

He had to get that last post in I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man, I don't even remember who public works project was.

I think he might have been a Falcons fan so he would have gone away on his own anyway possibly. That's the only thing I remember about him and I'm not 100% sure on that, other than he wasn't obviously a jerk most of the time.

Er, when he wasn't stealing money from people I mean.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They're reporting it as another intestinal blockage like when he had chronic hiccups a few months ago. Or return of the same one I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

Nuking the snow would melt it quickly and the nuclear blast would also clear traffic from the road. Hmm. :thunk:

I hear it might be good for hurricane season too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I would just like everyone to know that this person exists.

https://twitter.com/roywoodjr/status/1479290086093201417

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I’m thinking he goes down in like 15 seconds unless he’s fighting some other novelty, like a sumo wrestler or an emancipated 8 foot tall man or something.

He's fighting a guy who looks a little like Sagat, I don't think either of them know the first thing about how to box. But good street fighter matchmaking I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

RIP to the shittiest television ever created

Did they shut the Hallmark channel down?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hermes posted:

Hermes posted: Never. Stop. Dashing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I think you're just combining two fine tastes into something that's probably fine, but lesser.

There's a sweet/savory crunchy/chewy thing going on there that I'm sure is an absolute disaster.

I would also try it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was a big fan of the Hermes keepsake that ups your dodge if you clear rooms fast enough midgame. At least with certain weapons.

I don't even know what midgame means, but far enough that you feel confident clearing rooms quickly I guess. Also leaned on the keepsake from Thanatos where if you don't take damage in a room you get a damage buff.

I don't know what I should be spoilering here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

They don’t make guitar hero or rock band anymore do they?

I don't think so but I just discovered there's a new Rocksmith coming out eventually, so if you want to get real/annoy anyone you live with that's going to be an option.

Looking it up Rock Band 4 is still being supported, or was last year. I mean it's not new but it has new stuff I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

My first real PC gaming experience was switching out like 100 5 1/4 floppies to play the original Mechwarrior. It was a real lesson in pain.

Later than that but I spent way too much time trying to pirate and get Mechwarrior 2 to work on a modern system a couple of years ago. It didn't work. Or I couldn't make it work, I'm sure there are ways but I was too lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

This was like a mindblowing high tech video game intro back in the day and I have no memory of what the actual game looked like, but it's very funny to remember.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Yep, going to agree there. The switch from "experts are experts for a reason" to "everyone has an opinion that is valid" feels like it can be rooted in social media, and they're the granddaddy of them all.

Somewhere, forgotten, Tom from myspace wipes a tear from his eye.

Thaddius the Large posted:

The first computer game I remember playing was that DOS chatbot psychologist, which on reflection may explain a lot

It wasn't the first I played but I remember playing Wasteland and balancing a baseball on the escape key and walking away and doing something else for a half hour to make time pass.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 11, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

Good memories: playing Starcraft with my cousin and we are playing 2 v 6CPUs and just going ham on them with fully upgraded carriers and battleships. Yeah the CPU AI was garbage and didn't have any way to fight late game heavies, I didn't care, we smashed them all.

Also not close to the first computer game I ever played but Master of Orion 2 came out just at the right time of my life where it was possible to have a bunch of morons shuffling around an 8 person turn based hotseat game.

It helped that there was a foosball table in the room so you could also hotseat in and out of that while standing around waiting for your turn.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
One of my earliest PC games was Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, which sounds awesome but all you did was fly planes and there was no shooty stuff. Also no oh poo poo my experimental plane is going down stuff. You just flew around and it wasn't all that hard I don't think unless you wanted to see how fast you could go down.

Which is cool for a certain person, but it seemed much less cool for a 10 year old me or whatever I was.

My dad absolutely loved it and got a fancy joystick controller solely to play that game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

No. It would've been sometime during 1999-2002. (Not that anyone needs to guess. I honestly have no idea.)

Darklight Conflict or Incoming the Final Conflict perhaps? (I am unfamiliar with either but had a minute to look at things that might have needed a Voodoo 2 card.)

Flight sims, well modern day flight sims, always seem to be prettier than other games in whatever era we're talking about. There's a reason this happens and why you can cheat on graphics, but I don't remember what it is. I guess you mostly don't have to render much other than the planes.

I remember a couple/few years ago someone did a damned near perfect Top Gun opening sequence in some game I'd never heard of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

This civics exam has some tough questions, like knowing who the authors of the Federalist papers are.

I wanted to ask too but didn't want to like, butt in if you didn't want to share. Glad things are at least okish.

I lost hard at John Jay on this question thinking about it before looking it up. Not at all a new observation but those exams are very dumb if they're what every American is expected to know, I was kind of surprised I picked Hamilton and Madison out of every other old name that should matter to anyone other than history geeks. poo poo and this is an oral test where you answer 20 of basically 120 trivia questions. Jesus, good luck. It's not that hard to find the answers with study but just not stumbling over a question seems very hard.

e: or Broadway Musical geeks apparently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shirts and skins posted:

And yeah Giuffre's lawyers have asked for discovery on the sweating thing lol

Lord I'd managed to somehow forget about the sweating thing.

Did he say he got better with this made up illness or can we just put him on a treadmill for a while and then convict him?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

mr jones is a god damned jam. shame about the rest.

One of my friends back then described listening to Counting Crows songs other than Mr Jones as a progression from 'ok I'm sort of into it, now let's pick up the pace here a little guys' to 'speed the gently caress up! This could be good if it wasn't so boring.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

I'd still say nope for going back in time.

At 6 you're past potty training so there's that, but I keep thinking about both how goddamned bored I'd be in school about stuff I know, and how embarrassed I would be about stuff I've forgotten.

And I don't think I'd get along with my teachers either way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

achillesforever6 posted:

70 Billion Dollars

I am sure this will fix everything with their games and culture and also be worth it somehow*

*-wtf

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In perhaps better news we can hope?

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1483439049549352962

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Wait... is this the movie?

Well I hoped it was better news for an hour or so I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I did everything right and I still lost someone in the suicide mission in mass effect 2 what the gently caress

I feel like I could tell you what you did wrong from memory, why do I know this instead of important things?

(sent the wrong person into the ducts is my first guess)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, checking out Angelina's IMDB I found Foxfire, which I associate with a really bad cold war movie (e: oops this was Firefox), and she played the part of Legs Sadovsky which I would associate with a Bond film.

quote:

Legs Sadovsky gets four other high school girls to think for themselves and react to a teacher's sexual harassment, which gets them suspended. They bond, and rebel, at an abandoned house.

This is not what I was expecting it to be about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

My main idea about gender relations is that boys are dumb and girls are crazy. Like women will get along better with men if they understand, "oh he's a loving dumbass" and men will get along better with women if they understand "oh, she's gonna do something a rational person wouldn't do sometime in the next week."

I am very dumb, but man if you give me the choice I'm going to randomly bang my head against things so I'm not going to throw any shade against anyone.

e: Well wait, I can think of some guys dumber than I am.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 22, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I ate poo poo under a ski lift once and it took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to dig out the snow and put my skis back on.

That is an unfortunate experience, absolutely everyone riding up dumping whatever snow is stuck to their skis or board on your head and laughing at you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--wait poo poo, this made a pressure cooker's sales go through the roof? I mean the Instant pot is also fine and safe and a good thing, that's just amazing though.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think This Is Us is the show that some guy died on because his crockpot caught on fire and he died and people flipped the gently caress out and started throwing their crock pots out and raising a stink and crock pot had to release a whole thing about it.

I know this because an ex asked me to throw my crock pot out after she watched it.

If I would have been on top of things and wanted to go dumpster diving in the suburbs I could have so many crock pots right now. You can clearly never have too many crock pots if you have space to store them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Man when you guys talk about making a full run in like 40 tries I feel really lovely at this game. I’m doing ok and I’m not doing god mode or anything but I’m in the mid 40s in runs and don’t feel like I’m close to beating elysium.

I'm on team go ahead and do god mode if you get tired of banging your head against stuff. It's not a win now button or anything and no one's watching you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The deer's expression is appropriate because what the hell is it doing there, why?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Clinton had both a dog & a cat.

Truly he was a man of contrasts.

As for Presidents & their pets...

I don't have a lot of good things to say about Calvin Coolidge as a president other than he has a really funny probably apocryphal tale about not saying words. But....his wife did have a raccoon. That they refused to eat for Thanksgiving and kept as a pet.

e: Just noticed how long the Coolidge list is in that wiki, Grace Coolidge liked her animals. In...particularly not good combinations considering the Bobcat.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Calvin Coolidge had a pet Raccoon named Rebecca that he wanted to eat at one point.

He was gifted her to eat and didn't want to do it, so his wife built a big cage around a tree and carried her around and let her run around in the White House apparently.

There's really a lot going on with how many pets the Coolidges had or had sent to them. There's a pygmy hippo too that apparently ended up as a stud breeding them for a whole lot of circuses and zoos.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pain of Mind posted:

Did you have to manually tabulate that or does it show you somewhere?

When you get access to the records room (office, whatever it's called) it shows you there, or at least would be easy to figure out. Whole lot of stats there if you want to wonder about things. Room on the far left at good old hell home.

e:fb

Fired it up to check and on the cabinet next to the screen Intruder's looking at there you get a list of your attempts by weapon and clears. Or boons/hammer upgrades/whatever else. :lol: poo poo e:fb to the edit.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 29, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Actually, make all directional states cage fight each other to become the real "Dakota", "Carolina" and "Virginia".

There can be only one Michigan, they have to sort that out and the loser gets annexed by a neighboring state.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

pretend i know nothing

walk me through this

It's more complicated than this but I think he's referencing the voucher privitization program when the USSR fell. Basically people were given or could buy very cheaply shares in any state owned company.

Most people are dumb with money anyway, but even more so in this setting. The sharps figured out there was a big difference between current Russian prices for oil and such and everywhere else and vacuumed the vouchers up from people scamming them into taking way less than they were worth, or even sometimes just bartering. Like a microwave or something looks good and you're poor as dirt, why do you need this asset that you don't understand and can't use right now?

This was also a big part of the rise of the Russian mob (which...you know may be the same thing either way), there's a doc out there somewhere that I thought was good.

e: I think I was thinking of Thieves by Law for the documentary? Maybe not, that's all about the mafia. But if I remember right they go through the basic scam and how crazy things were at the time.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 29, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

Did Rogan do something specific recently to get Neil Young to leave the platform, or is it just a general fatigue with that guy and his zany antics

He's kinda ramped up the antivaxx stuff/hosting wingbat guests on the subject and Neil didn't like it I guess? I gather that is, not like I'm listening to him.

Also there was that open letter earlier in the month from a bunch of doctors and nurses telling Spotify to knock it off with the Rogan poo poo, I guess that might have moved Young.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Do you know how tempted I was to turn the water on???

I am proud of your restraint because I don't know if I could have stopped myself. Not full blast but a little trickle.

Does he/she have a water fixation about the sink when you're normally using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah you're already ahead of me here

Braksgirl posted:

How about I just make some pizzas and we have some king cake and I'll buy some orange and black plates and we just make my life easy.

I'd lean in on the old LSU Burreaux angle with proper colors for whatever since that seems a lot easier (and tastier) than going full Cincinnati. And Chase goes in that general pot too so it makes enough sense.

Hand out some cigars maybe?