Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Closed out 2021 trauma alerting a 4yo who was ejected off a golf cart and run over with a broken femur. Intranasal fentanyl for days and pediatric traction splint :toot:

I’m at home drinking a beer now with the Christmas tree lit up. 2022 is already better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

She does not have an obgyn, relying instead on a doula, even though she was recently hospitalized with sustained tach in the 160s

:captainpop:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Just idiocy.

I mean, ignoring that whatever etiology lead to a sustained sinus tachycardia is like fetaldistress.txt, I can’t imagine an emergent tachyarrhythmia pharmacological intervention is much better.

General Dog posted:

Antivax has had a bit of a foothold in California for a while hasn’t it? Like dating back well before Covid. Seems like there’s a bit of horseshoe theory at play when it comes to vaccines and GMOs.

No doubt. They are dumb too.

Anti-vax poo poo has been a problem for awhile but it has really flourished with the “freedom” crowd.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

No you see there’s a fluid shift at x months or whatever and this is totally fine and normal and doulas have a great record (because of anything goes wrong they dial 911)

They know ambulances aren’t staffed by obstetricians right? lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Just lean them on their left side and induce/delay/give mag ox

I dunno I hated obgyn

I mean I can certainly QB an uncomplicated delivery, treat eclampsia to some small extent, infuse pit for uncontrolled postpartum hemorrhage but I certainly can’t do loving anything for breach/limb/cord presentation, placental abruption or previa.

I’ve had enough hosed up OB calls that a non-hospital delivery was not even remotely an option for our kiddo.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Years ago at another service we had this 30yo Type 1 in our run who was very sick and had frequent seizures with long postictal phases, but also had a sudden cardiac arrest once and was commonly metabolically deranged.

You haven’t lived until you show up to a house to find your patient’s snake handler mom dumped a Kirkland jug of clover honey in your patient’s mouth and is standing over you speaking in tongues and screaming about the ‘DEMON OF DIABETES’ while you’re trying to suction that poo poo out of her airway.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My wife's OB asked her if she wanted an epidural or a natural delivery and she asked 'why the gently caress would I not make this as comfortable and painless as possible in the 21st century?'

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

One thing I have learned in medicine, and Lee Majors will certainly atest to this, is that it is simultaneously incredibly hard and incredibly easy to kill someone. The body has all kinds of redundant mechanisms to keep you alive and some times they are foiled in seconds by like choking on a peanut.

I've seen enough young healthy people die suddenly and for no apparent reasons to just sit back and marvel at all the 50-70 year old jaundiced homeless alcoholics who survive multi-system auto-ped trauma over the years.

Last one was a regular who got tagged by an Audi at like 45mph and had bilateral tib-fibs and a depressed skull fracture. Saw him back out on the street 6mo later, bottle in hand.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hooray for twenty years of having to hear about Harry Potter from tedious people.

Harry Potter superfans and Harry Potter megacritics are equally obnoxious.

It isn’t high art, it isn’t the debbil—they’re perfectly fine and fun stories for kids.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I just finished Don't Look Up and while there's a lot of hate, I think it's a really entertaining watch and I enjoyed it more than just about any other apocalypse movie out there.

It was probably a bad idea though. I haven't been in a great head space because work is killing me, I'm testifying in my first murder trial this week (of a child), the planet is dying, we are entering our third year of pandemic with no end in sight and *gestures wildly*....

I goddamn near cried during the dinner scene.

D-LINK posted:

She said yes, my brother. Turns out she's been impatiently waiting for me ask bc some snitch in my family blew up my spot :blush:

Yooo congrats, being married is awesome. It's scary as hell to ask though, even if you know it's a yes. Such a big life moment.

:respek:

Joey Freshwater posted:

I thought about it and realized I haven’t gone a month without having a drink since before college maybe. I’m 38 now. Then I thought about it some more and realized can’t remember the last time I went a week without a drink. I just pretty consistently have a drink or two. It’s rare that I drink enough to get more than a good buzz or outright drunk. I guess that probably classifies me as an alcoholic and I’m wondering what this’ll do to me.

I'm also 38 and while I've had a few dry spells (usually Dry Whatever Month), I've found I mostly drink out of boredom. I also rarely get hard buzzed or drunk but it's easy for a Preparing Dinner Beer turns into beer 5 while I'm watching a little TV before bed.

I took three months off last year over the summer after getting megawasted one weekend, and it put a lot of poo poo in perspective. Then football happened and social drinking returned and I backslid a bit. Didn't slide all the way back though.

I put some miles on in my 20s and while I've slowed down a lot in my thirties, I probably should stop drinking altogether outside of social situations. There was a good Life Kit podcast out last week about dry spells and journaling sort of document how you feel. I'm going to do that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

C-Euro posted:

I can't remember if I posted this in last year's thread but I'm having a hard time separating my thoughts on the movie from my thoughts on social/political satire in the present day in general. There's stuff in there to like and appreciate but man it felt like a really straight putt all throughout. But among people I've talked to I seem to be in the minority there so maybe I am just brain-poisoned.

The political comedy poo poo with shots at Trumpism were a little on the nose, but I'm not sure if that's entirely because it's bad writing, or because satire has been dead for awhile.

There were really good comedic moments like Kate's obsession with why the general charged them for snacks at the WH, or Chalamet getting mega hype for fingerling potatoes gently caress I LOVE FINGERLING POTATOES and I thought they did a really good job capturing the helpless feeling Dibiasky and Mindy were feeling throughout, their journey as lost people in their personal lives, and how they came to accept everything.

I enjoyed it, but it gave me tremendous anxiety and big emotions. And also everyone shits on everything all the time.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 3, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Subject to randoms in healthcare. So loving dumb.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Our (and every other EMS agency) is being hammered because working conditions have been trash for two years, EMT and medic programs are folding everywhere, and administrators are out of answers for how to make the job more attractive to younger people.

Lots of "PEOPLE JUST DONT WANT TO HELP PEOPLE ANYMORE" or "I USED TO WORK 72 HOURS AT A TIME I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY NO ONE IS DEDICATED TO EMS ANYMORE" and "ITS A CALLING NOT A JOB." Uh, no. This is transactional and I expect to be paid and you have to make the job appealing to employees or we are just going to keep hemorrhaging people.

There are lots of challenges - increasing call volumes, stagnant budgets.

Thankfully our agency doesn't do forced overtime, but that's a huge issue at basically every other agency. Also lovely night shift assignments with no shift diff. So we just end up with a rotating cast of inexperienced people on nights and an entrenched veteran class on during the day. Which is remarkable considering night shift staffing has been a solved issue in every other arm of healthcare for forty years.

It's bewildering and I'm not sure where it ends, but probably with a lot of intelligent, talented providers in other fields.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

When I was young and didn’t understand a lot of money/salary stuff I thought Medics would be paid a lot better than they are because of how important they seemed.

It depends on where you are and some agencies pay pretty well (mine included) but the hours are long, calls can be gross and stressful, and burnout is real.

When I first got my medic in a junior capacity I was making around 14/hr on a 24/48 schedule---our agency starts medics closer to 24/hr these days.

Still should be more like 30.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

There's a 20 year medic on my city's service that basically says the same thing every opportunity he gets. Every article that gets posted by an industry page or mag gets a comment about how there isn't a shortage but poo poo pay for the work.

Spent some time talking to him when we were both working at the same station and the conclusion seems to be getting the old hats out of leadership and the "younger" generation who actually gets the problem in their place. I saw this at my FD with an old chief who is now a town commissioner constantly talking with how back in his day people would come down and work for free and that $10/hr for FTE should be enough. Just a sheer level of cluelessness.

There's a lot of crab-bucket mentality around the oldheads.

They're quickly finding out who has the power in this dynamic. Sadly the end result is probably privatization by AMR or whatever.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 4, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

There's kind of a salary penalty for lines of work with altruistic appeal like medic or teacher or elder care, because the altruistic side of itexpands the pool of potential workers compared to jobs that no one would ever want to do for any reason other than money.

Altruism and 'adrenaline junky' poo poo. Local FDs are paid significantly less than we are.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

lol SC just dropped 35k cases over the past four days on a 48hr delay (Thursday through Sunday)

:rip: me

Also I have sinus symptoms and may just call out to get a test tomorrow. gently caress.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

We ordered rapid tests a week ago and they still haven’t shipped. Still waiting on the order cancellation to roll in since they can officially gouge now.

My options are to wait several hours in a line in my car in the morning for a PCR or wait several hours at an urgent care.

Wasn’t Biden going to distribute 500M tests? Lol.

We are a failed state.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, when they were first talking about a $15 minimum wage in Seattle you'd hear a lot of poo poo like "EMTs are paid $17, should they be paid barely more than burger flippers?" Obviously the answer is no, but the solution to that isn't to pay burger flippers less money.

Right just pay everyone more. That’s what they don’t get.

Noice thanks homie :respek:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CannonFodder posted:

You can wait and get tested? Nice. In my area it's appointment only first chance is Thursday or Friday.

I mean, you could last week….

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Drive-thru apid test schedule at 10am.

Sore throat, dizzy spells, bad sinus sx (congestion, face aches ear to ear), body aches.

I fell asleep pretty early last night and couldn't sleep past 0400. Gonna be a great day :jerkbag:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Much like any other crisis in America, I am profoundly annoyed at the Biden admin trying to shift responsibility to individual Americans with no help.

gently caress off, old man.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

Stay safe, y'all. Seeing how many cases are spiking across the U.S...it's pretty frightening.

I feel like Lithgow screaming about something on the wing. that version is the one I identify with

Mask usage is trash around here too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I have covid lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thanks all. I woke up early after knocking myself out with mucinex last night. Got an appt w CVS minute clinic. Did one of their antigen tests.

Had headaches starting Monday at work. Then big sinus stuff hit yesterday. Got muscle aches similar to my post-vax yesterday afternoon. Smell and taste are intact. I actually feel better today than yesterday. Supposed to be 5 days isolated then a negative test for work. We will see how that goes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’m just going to do my best not to get addicted to this neosynephrine nasal spray.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Positivity rate in SC was over 30% today. Just lmao.

To the moon, baby

FizFashizzle posted:

Lol

Lmao

Be well Internet friend.

I’m glad my symptoms are mild so far. I get to be off for whatever hellish nonsense will be going on at work over the next few days.

—————-

Also, lol just throw these assholes down a well already.

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1478758246445953030?s=21

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 5, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Also “beat” Hades. Saw the credits anyway, I know there’s still a lot to do but it feels good I can complete runs regularly now. Most heat I’ve done so far is only 8 though.

I picked it up today for the first time since I started. Had a nice little run with the shield then, just, didn't.....

I need to play more and get better. Those return damage boons are pretty nice. Thought I was going to make a serious run at Megs but the twins wiped me out. Still haven't gotten past her.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Well I am now in isolation in our guest bedroom with the ps4 so I’m going to put those tips to use. Thanks bud.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I KILLED MEG GET REKT BITCH

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

It was inevitable the chat thread would lose more than pets and relatives.

Please don’t be that guy.

This gave me the willies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Generals didn't secede.

Uh, weren’t they all (or at least mostly) generals in the US Army prior to secession? They had to choose to switch sides to fight for the confederacy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

I still think it’s wild some states celebrate a combo of Robert E. Lee and MLK Jr day

I grew up with full-tilt confederate apologetics. Did you know his slaves WANTED to stay with him? He was kind. A gentleman farmer. He just felt loyalty to his home state.

Propaganda works. Boy my eyes were opened hard when I grew up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Funny how much people who typically don't hump the flag really hump the flag when it comes to punishing those Traitorous Southerners post Civil War. Guess the opposite is true as well, tho.

Who is humping the flag? Secessionists caused a war in defense of slavery resulting in 600-750k deaths (not to mention collateral civilian and slave deaths) and were literally allowed to reassimilate and successfully wage a revisionist rehab campaign that resulted directly in Jim Crow, rampant domestic terrorism and arguably 150+ years of regressive policies in the US.

My position is that they should’ve faced serious consequences for such recklessness instead, but maybe I’m old fashioned.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JPrime posted:

i think, in the modern sense, if you spend your whole career humping the flag, only to cast it aside because you hoped that treasonous coup would work in your favor, then you get the guillotine in the public square.

No doubt. It's also why we already have established precedent of handling The Right Insurrectionists (re white, conservative) with kid gloves, and why 1/6 folks will never face any real consequences.

No wonder we have a rightward ratcheting effect here.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hump every flag I see.
From Paraguay to Paraguzee.

I love this.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

This took me a second and I say this like five times a day at work.

seiferguy posted:

Everything is just a weird rear end culture war now. I imagine 20 years ago if Kyle Rittenhouse had done the same thing, it probably stays a local case and he either goes to prison, or if he gets the same judge, is let out but it's by no means a national story. Now the murderer is getting invites to every conservative movement for killing people. That's insane to me.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1461760071428460553?s=20

Capital has successfully vitamixed us into oblivion with culture war nonsense.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thank you friend :)

I was trying out Norway but I think Para is better.

Yeah your instincts were good on this. The guzee has its own little playful flutter that I like.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Democratic Party is trying to turn me into a full bore Stalinist aren’t they?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Video is somehow even more embarrassing than I thought possible

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1479162130494627843

I.....

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hot Diggity! posted:

But only a very, very solemn version

Headstrong by Gary Jules

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I just wish our choices weren’t literally the Die For Shareholder Value, Also Racist Party vs Die For Shareholder Value But Painfully Embarrassing Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

Welcome to the party Comrade.

I mean, I've been a leftist for most of my adult life, but have only now started fantasizing about marching Chris Matthews through taiga at bayonet-point.