Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Happy New Year, fellow comics goons! And many thanks to Some Guy TT for creating this shiny new thread.

Classic Zits is Zits, but classic.

Love in Hell is a curated collection of relationship-themed strips from Matt Groening’s (yes, that Matt Groening’s) long-running strip, Life in Hell. The strip began in 1977 and ran weekly in various alt papers around the country until 2012. In a world populated by anthropomorphic rabbits (and exactly two humans), our main character is the hapless Binky. However, there is no plot.

Sylvia by the Chicago based Nicole Hollander is a daily slice of life feminist and VERY 80s/90s comic featuring the titular Sylvia, her unnamed daughter, Harry the bartender, and Sylvia’s sometime lover who is also an alien. There are also a lot of cats, two Dogs From Hell, the Fashion Police, and occasionally Satan, along with numerous one-offs. This comic also has no plot.

Marlys! is a collection of comics from Lynda Barry’s Ernie Pook’s Comeek. Originally published without her knowledge thanks to Matt Groening, the alt-weekly strip ran from 1979 until 2008. It follows the families of Arna and Arnold Arneson and their cousins Marlys and Maybonne. Lynda Barry is a certified MacArthur genius, and this comic holds a very special place in my heart. Barry was based in Chicago during the time she was writing this, and as a weirdo teen and pre-teen, I felt grownup picking up the Reader every week and seeing this; it felt private, and written just for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Love in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Little late there

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Hell yeah

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

And that’s it for Classic Zits! I have a fun replacement coming in…but in the meantime, I must ask for your patience. I’m way behind on my scans and have made a complete mess of my albums, so I’m gonna take a wee break to sort everything and be back on the weekend. Cheers!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Due to Imgur making GBS threads its pants last night, I bring you new comics today! First up, replacing Classic Zits is…

¡Aragones! A mainstay of Mad Magazine, Sergio Aragones is the king of ¡plop! Here’s a long weird biography:
https://i.imgur.com/8d1UjZ9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eZ12fyk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UYmedWW.jpg

And now for your regular
Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Aragones

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Aragones (glad you like it, riderchop!)

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Love this one.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Whoops, missed a day! Yesterday’s now, today’s later.

Aragones

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Aragones

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Hey all, so sorry for my long absence. Life got in the way for a minute, and before I knew it I was so far behind, but after seeing Some Guy’s comment from last month I’ve determined to :justpost: from 40 pages in the past. It’ll take me a minute to get everything reorganized so my posting might be a little erratic, but I’m back! See you when I catch up!

¡Aragones!

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Not gonna have a chance to post this evening, so here’s an early batch.

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Note that these are boomer memories of childhood rhymes, and yet I still remember (slightly different versions of) them from elementary school. Although my boomer mom probably taught me a couple.

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

No Sylvia today! Still getting all my poo poo together, but hopefully she’ll be back tomorrow night.

Marlys!

Mrs Dawsin looks awful familiar…

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

:lmao:

No Sylvia today, sorry!

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Yeah, idgi either.

Life in Hell

Sylvia is back!

A quick reminder that the layout of this book is nonsensical, so I’m being pretty arbitrary about what and how many I post each day.

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

This one made me tear up a little bit.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Early postin’

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Hate that “break,” LOVE that dragon.

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 5, 2022

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

I’d go with “widely loved and respected by the neighborhood dogs,” personally.

Marlys!

Having already shared Demons, I like seeing these little poetic echoes of that book in this one (or the other way around, really). Some of the same language as the dodgeball chapter.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 6, 2022

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Guess who’s finally caught up!

A rare laugh from Macanudo!

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 11/21/48

A nice twist on the old Swedish janitor trope. Also this strip is absolutely bonkers and I love it, I miss the hat ladies though.

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

I actually found a place near me that sells candy cigarettes! It’s wild that we used to sell those everywhere — especially considering that I used to love them and now I smoke a pack a day.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 7, 2022

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Tiggum posted:

The what?

[url= https://www.google.com/search?q=sve...=qmbWDmFE61X3eM]It used to be a thing![/url] I swear I read an article about it once, but I can’t find it now.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

P solid gag!

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Grown Marlys is really speaking to me.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Take THAT, Dick Tracy’s Crimestoppers!

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Middle panel on the second one is some prime av material

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Hi hi, sorry! Here’s a double post, your regular posting schedule will resume tonight.

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

I absolutely love all her dorgs.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Hi all, no excuses this time. Just got busy as usual. Here we go again!

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

I know these got out of order somehow, but damned if I can figure it out.

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Unfortunately no Aragones for the time being, I need to scan and edit and I’m on vacation at the moment. We’ll be back next week!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Head Girls

One of the things I love about this strip is how the cheesecake is balanced by the tension and Modesty’s competence. Something about it totally undermines what might be a…prurient interest in the art.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (December 13-18, 1982)

Thanks for posting this! I always love seeing a new strip coming in (except for Big Nate, which is mostly meh but sometimes just awful).

Anyway, sorry I forgot to post yesterday! Here’s a double dose to make up for it, including the Aragoneses I finally scanned and edited.

¡Aragones!, new chapter!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

No idea where the second one went, my Imgur albums are a bit of a mess rn :shrug:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Doomykins posted:

I think L-Innsikt really came into its own with the format change. The art is still distinct but a four panel set-up forces more thought be put into it than the stuff I'd nearly glossed over before. And of course that's a pretty good strip today!

Agreed, it initially seemed like someone’s college art final. Watching it evolve into a real strip has been really fun!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Posting early cuz I won’t have time tonight! Also I found those lost comics buried in my files! Luckily only Hell will be impacted in terms of continuity, and then only kinda. Plus now we get some bonus title pages. Here we go!

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 1, 2022

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 24, 2000)

Arlo’s absolute glee really gets me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

What’s wrong with your neeeeeeeeeck

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Holy poo poo this made me cackle like an idiot and I had to read it to my husband and now he thinks I’m stupid.