Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Happy New Year, new thread! I've been posting Axa, a late-70s/early-80s post-apocalyptic adventure/pin-up comic, drawn by the excellent (if horny) Romero. Starring the titular Axa (and her breasts), her semi-love interest and generally lovely person Matt, and the true star of this show: Robot Mark. They have weird adventures across the wasteland of... uh... Europe? Currently we're wrapping up a storyline involving a theme park, an obviously sketchy dude who it turns out is into hypnotism and brainwashing. It is frequently spoilered, such as today, due to Romero jumping at every chance he can to have Axa be topless.

I hope to get back to posting my classic comics this year too, I dropped them because I found myself taking too long with them and stressing myself out, but I really enjoyed posting Flyin' Jenny (a comic about an aviatrix who gets up to some pretty wild adventures), Dinky Dinkerton (a slapstick detective comic that reminds me most of Smoky Stover but not as good), and The Shadow (an adaptation of the pulp character into somewhat incoherent dailies, not helped by there being a break in my archives so when I do get back to it, we'll be in the middle of a storyline I didn't see the beginning of).

I don't know what to vote for, where's the 'Yes' option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

Ooh, let's see that again!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drat, I fell behind and then saw the thread title change and holy poo poo I'm excited for the funeral.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

goatface posted:

I hope he gets eaten by sharks and we get a short derail where Mark Trail shows up to tell us how uncommon shark attacks on humans are and insists this one was only due to the multiple broken bones sticking through his skin putting a lot of blood in the water.

Mary Worth did have a Phantom crossover, so hey, there's hope!

Axa in: Moonraker!

Alternate title: "This is my hole! It was made for me!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh, Lupin :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

-Lair of the White Worm is a 1988 horror movie by the British provocateur Kenneth Russell. In 2022 I imagine she'd bring over the infinitely smuttier The Devils. I imagine she chose this one because Amanda Donahue is kind of an evil snake dominatrix in it who iirc has sex with a demon. Or who knows. Maybe Mo is a big fan of Peter Capaldi.

Lair of the White Worm is one of those ones I want to like but can never sit through. Maybe I just need to get really, really high and try again. It's a weird, artsy, and kinda kinky movie, I'm surprised to see it referenced but not surprised it was referenced in this comic.

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I had completely forgotten about the Apple Watch. gently caress I hate Intelligent Life.

Axa 4: In Space

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

... Look, Axa, I don't want to have to say it, but don't gently caress the tree.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

readingatwork posted:

*man from local tribe walks out and slowly pushes him back into the sea*

The Mori know an ill omen when they see one. Unlike some people. Estelle.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

I would very much like to have what Romero's having, please.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sorry, I fell real behind. Anyways, The Phantom. A) so Kit has good taste, 2) I have no idea which layer of narrative we're on. We saw Mozz writing, are we back in there or are we back to something actually happening?

Axa in: Catfight!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa: The :catdrugs: Saga Continues

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

War manoeuvres? Between my breasts?

This storyline, what the gently caress.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tom Bat's so weird since he's just... nothing he writes seems to relate much to how anything ever worked. Then there's the fact that he's terrible at writing wistful nostalgia (add it to the loving list) so it just comes across as total wank. And these weird pet characters that serve mostly as wish-fulfilment I guess?

Funky Winkerbean needs to be put to pasture. And it can take Crankshaft with it!

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

This story is the one my parents always think of first when they think of The Boondocks.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa's Zero-G All-Nude Revue

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

gently caress me, he's gonna be a loving mouse and we get a storyline where he learns empathy or some drat thing. He never asked for this in the first place!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

I mean, I figured it would be something like that, and then there's one last swerve right at the end.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Transmodiar posted:

NGL I skipped over this whole adventure. Looking forward to picking up with a new story. (How many are left?)

Uh... not much.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I just want to say, I have no idea why I didn't assume this, but it's worse than I expected. gently caress.

Axa

This Den-looking motherfucker.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Rice-stuffed squid sounds amazing, drat.

Axa

Hahaha, Matt you loving dumbass.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

What in the goddamn gently caress. I think once a year this comic makes me react like that, I think last year's was revealing she's basically immortal or something due to experimenting with mermaid DNA.

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hostile V posted:

The Queen could shoot anyone she likes if not for the fact she's been dead for months and they've been lying to us.

You think that's gonna stop her?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa King Mark!

Matt, you loving dipshit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

I feel like "making them capable of experiencing pain and hatred" should be pretty low down on the list of things you need for a labour robot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I think I've mentioned this before, I understand Blossom, I'm sympathetic to her, but I really don't like her. Later on it makes Case of the Missing Piece real frustrating.

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/25/48

Well. That's an, uh, twist I wasn't expecting.

Holy poo poo. Ok, drat.

Axa

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Axa

That's not a good sign.

And that's it for Axa! Unceremoniously canceled in the middle of a storyline. Apparently in 2012 Romero went and finished it up, but that was only published in Spain, it seems. I mostly enjoyed it despite some infuriating bits (Axa's taste in men, generally), it was a dumb, kinda sleazy, comic that occasionally went loving out there. I hope other people enjoyed it too! Maybe I can get back to the other comics I was posting at some point.

Also, that Mark the Great panel would make a fine avatar.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

readingatwork posted:

I think the new one is pretty good? :shrug:

My signature has degraded over the years, and only barely resembles my name anymore. It's just scribbles. I was never good at cursive though. I blame being left handed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dozeu Bookstore

Boy, uh... things really escalated here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

This punchline caught me off guard and got a good gut-laugh out of me.

I really like Gahan Wilson, I think he got posted in here for a little bit a few years ago. Sometimes it feels delightfully like Charles Addams.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

Maybe try an iron and towel first, before trying to rig up a homemade straightener. Hell, having someone else do it is way safer then when I do it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Spawn: "Amateurs"

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Wasn't the thread just discussing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The_Other posted:

That wraps up the Giant Days x Batman crossover. What are the thread's thoughts? The Giant Days series is definitely different from Allison's other works, lacking any supernatural or mystery elements and instead focusing on the day-to-day lives of the main cast during their university years. I do think that it might have worked better if the story was a little longer and there was more opportunities for the two casts to interact.

It was enjoyable, but I can't help but feel like it should have been a Bad Machinery crossover instead. Yes, I realise I'm just asking for a British Gotham Academy, but I think that would have solved the issue with the casts not really interacting. Of course the Mystery Teens would get involved in snooker crime.

Lottie and Maps could probably have some fascinating conversations.