Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
If I see one more Holbrook comic where the punchline is "lol Zoom" so help me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I'm glad Wilbur's alive

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Safety Dance posted:

Does anybody get this? This is my second time reading it, and I can't make heads or tails of what's going on. Is Vernon McNutt about to get shot?

My read is they're threatening him under punishment of death to keep rocking that boat as punishment for rocking a real boat with women and children in it as a joke

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Samovar posted:

...does... Does this person have ANY brain?!

This is your brain on centrism

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
My problem with the Pastis comic is the implication that "left vs right" is a petty squabble that somehow doesn't have anything to do with capitalism or class war. As others said, "the left and right have more in common than they think" is a pretty meaningless platitude for the many demographics that the right wouldn't mind seeing dead

e: And also I'm sick of Pastis putting out pretty milquetoast political messages and acting like a pariah for it, but the Family Circus bit is funny

E again: the comic does make a lot more sense if you replace "left and right" with "democrat and republican" which he probably means

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 25, 2022

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

EasyEW posted:

Interesting conversation today.

I appreciate this

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I like Daddy Daze.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the wise cartoonist bowed his head and solemnly spoke

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UFQWKjy_I

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely. 100%.

I had to double check that his face in the last panel wasn't an edit, because I don't think I've ever seen a genuine expression of happiness in Funky Winkerbean rather than a poo poo eating smirk.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Ah, the return of Overboard's vendetta against entomologists.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

drat. Guess I'm stuck continuing to post this strip then.

We haven't ruled out the baby's name being Sarah Jr. yet

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Powered Descent posted:

Chocolate is absolutely bad for dogs. Don't feed it to them on purpose. But it isn't exactly cyanide to them either -- a quick google says that the danger limit is about 0.5 ounces of milk chocolate per pound of dog. Which is kind of a lot, if you think about it. I strongly doubt I've ever come anywhere near that ratio myself, even after trick-or-treating. Still, I suppose even a small dog could probably wolf down an entire pan of brownies a hell of a lot faster than I could. Anyway, all I mean to say here is, as long as Snoopy weighs more than three or four pounds (and he absolutely does), he should be okay.

We had a miniature pinscher that, among other exploits, once ate nearly an entire bag of Hershey's kisses including the foils. (I was young enough at the time to not have had any responsibility over the dog so don't blame me.) He was fine and went on to live for about 8 more years to the age of 17.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The new Heart of the City is nice and I didn't get all the criticism the first time it was posted in these threads, thanks for posting it again

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
As someone who is way more familiar with modern webcomics and cartoons than traditional western comic art, it's really funny to see people treat Heart of the City's art as so odd.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

We can't escape!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I know this Funky arc is all a dream sequence, but it's so tone deaf to be basically making jokes about how the cancer that this comic has spent decades trying to wring every last drop of melodrama out of could have been prevented

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Before I got my cpap, I did an at-home sleep study. I had to have a canella in my nose , wear a strap around my head and have a little machine around my neck and pads on my chest, if I recall correctly. It was literally the worst night of sleep of my life. When I went back into the clinic and told them that cause I worried the results might not be accurate, they basically laughed at me and said that's normal.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Huxley posted:

Oh hey, I have one of these coming up.

If you're not already a back sleeper try to get used to doing it beforehand. It would have probably helped me a lot.

e: Actually if you're getting a sleep study for a CPAP that's probably a horrible idea.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like Everett True still beating people up for not buying victory bonds is like the 1910's version of 2021 Funky Winkerbean strips about the pandemic being over.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Fish eat fish

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

I'm gonna be honest I've really disliked this comic but this one actually made me chuckle out loud.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

It's so hard to find good help these days

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

gleebster posted:

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip.

Sorry we can't all use freshly picked beans and tomatoes while making chili buddy

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Batiuk is definitely about to do a racial prejudice arc with the third and fourth black characters I've ever seen in his work, who were both seemingly introduced about a week ago

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Did his ICE arc end with them calling Bill Clinton to stop the deportation, and then sitting down for laughs and pizza with the ICE agents, or did I hallucinate that

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

gleebster posted:

Well, both characters have been in the strip for 6 or 7 years. It's just that Batiuk finally gave a name (Malcolm) to the middle-aged looking male teenager

I thought there might be a possibility this was the case, I just couldnt remember seeing them in the like 3 years I've been reading this thread

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Dustin would be a way better comic if the characters just went ¡PLOP! instead of the fuckin obnoxious pained joke reaction face that every character has

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like if Mark Trail was Sundays only it would be one of my lowkey favorites in the thread. It still wouldn't be great but it'd always be pleasant to read

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hostile V posted:

(Formerly Chuck's)

New lore, Kevin and Kell live in Ohio

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Really nice Exorcist neck going on in that Funky

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

davidspackage posted:

That's a solid Bushmiller-style gag.

That's a very boring song

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hostile V posted:

SHOOSH, PAP

You thought

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hostile V posted:

You could have said nothing and kept your dignity intact.

I had to spring this trap for the both of us

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

I had an English professor who didn't believe me that bathetic was a real word

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Not to be a downer, but are newspaper readers going to get a whole recap of the events of dark souls 1 through Rae the Doe?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Is this a real thing? Have I been missing out on something amazing my whole life?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Doomykins posted:

I think the thought bubbles are getting pretty out of hand here. "What if the reader doesn't know in context who the Tiger Queen is? What if they've never seen an elephant? Twice?"

I think Jules just finished Steel Ball Run (big spoilers for JJBA part 7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I like how the Wikipedia page for 9CL says See also: Portrayal of women in comics