Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

~Coxy posted:

I appreciate the portrait video bit even if today's mixed-up teens are too dumb to really know that.

It still matters to Hillary, she's all about putting on a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

I See In The Papers (subbing for Little Lefty; November 18-20, 1935)

The Morro Castle was an ocean liner which met a pretty terrible and weird end on September 8, 1934 while en route to NYC from Havana. First the ship's captain retired after dinner, complaining of stomach issues, and died in his quarters of an apparent heart attack. Then the ship caught fire and, after losing all electrical power, ran aground near Asbury Park, NJ, still on fire. Nearly 150 lives were lost in the evacuation process and the burnt hulk of the ship stayed on the beach for six months or so, becoming a tourist attraction. No official cause of the fire (or the death of the captain) was ever confirmed but Mac was right, you could probably rule out "act of god" for many reasons.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 5, 2022

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

This is one of my favorite Far Sides.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Doomykins posted:

Billingsley can do fairy tale strips and stupid cartooning ideas like My Roommate Is A Zombie!!!

I would love to see Reuben Award-Winning Cartoonist Ray Billingsley go hog wild and illustrate all of Curtis' horror movie ideas.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao why is it official merch

Wilbur better really be dead after all this

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Laughing out loud on the Internet over the fact that the Mary Worth editorial team hates Wilbur too

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The case is gonna hinge all Encyclopedia Brown-style on the foot, isn't it. Rene can't draw feet, can he, but Sarah can? It's a cartooning in-joke.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I'm doing a sort of Let's Play Gas Station Simulator thread on Twitter, and tonight's update included a Mary Worth x Gas Station Simulator collab with a little bit of Saskatchewan thrown in

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Written by the kind of dad who looks pop-eyed at the kid who finally decides to clean their room after a lot of urging and arguing and instead of saying "Thank you, I'm glad you got that done" says "Who are you and what have you done with my kid?"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Sgt. Pepper's is an important Boomer touchstone and damned if Batiuk doesn't want to touch all those stones.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

I'm reading through the Imgur archives right now and I'm glad I am when there are updates like this.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Really appreciate this character's commitment to the Slapsy Maxie Rosenbloom aesthetic.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I am old enough that I went to high school with girls who dressed in Candace's fashion, and nobody gave them collective finger-pointing poo poo for it at all. I know some girls got into arguments and trouble with what teachers considered overly revealing clothing, but that was nothing on Candace's level. This shaming storyline is really disgusting.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 19, 1952

Those Were the Days May 21, 1959

The attitude shift between these two let's-compare strips is incredible.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, winner of the Les Moore Prize For Huffing Your Own Farts.

For the love of dignity just play her off already

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Esplanade posted:

Got distracted and missed a couple of days of Guindon

These are amazing.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (March 30-April 1, 1936)

del is doing his best Percy Crosby for a lot of the baseball strips and I think it's great.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Ambiguous ashtrays aside, a chain smoker not lighting up with a social drink because they know the gas would be on is a legitimate clue. It could've been a good plot point in Columbo since it adheres to the whole "when someone who usually does a thing doesn't, there's a reason" philosophy.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Thrilled to see we're in for a health scare this week.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh, this is brilliant.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Julet Esqu posted:

You know, there's a lot that the rando you get on the phone can do for you if you're not an rear end in a top hat to them. I wonder if Kelley has ever gotten a string pulled for him in his life.

There's a non-zero chance professional cartoonist Steve Kelley, creator of the Reuben Award-winning strip "Dustin" has played the "Do you know who I am?" game before, and often to people who really can't do what he's demanding.

(And good to see you back!)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Even if they weren't a thing, the term "comic book store" is pretty self-explanatory.

Exactly. Teenage Harry's response should have been "A store that just sells comic books? Sounds great!" instead of "what is this co-mic-book-store of which you speak?" Christ, Batiuk has gone back only 40 years with this story, he hasn't sent Crazy Harry to the Bronze Age or anything.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I AM GRANDO posted:

Bil was a cool guy as well. I think he gave consent to the existential family circus or whatever it was back in the 00s as well, a kind of pre-Garfield Without Garfield blessed by the creator.

Bil himself was cool with the Dysfunctional Family Circus site (though not with all the cussing) but either his lawyer or the syndicate lawyers put their foot down and were ready to argue that Internet weirdos writing their own captions under copyrighted art wasn't fair use.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

:fireman:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, in which it's Tuesday, the story technically ended on Sunday, but we've still got a full week of letting the air drain out ahead of us. This poo poo's got the pacing of a first-time marathon runner who skipped a lot of cardio days.

Why did there need to be an explanation? Who was unable to sleep at night cause they don't know if Crazy Harry was having a dream or close-to-death Occurrence at Owl Creek hallucination or what? This is insulting. Just stick a "Hecho en Mexico" sticker on the goddamn helmet and enjoy your goddamn magic realism. Not everything needs to be explained right down to the last loophole.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Kazinsal posted:

I actually laughed at a foob for once because the 2020s Canadian equivalent of that is hearing Nickelback on classic rock radio.

I dunno, I think Lynn missed a real opportunity for a great Canadian sing-along.

(cf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPqPOkK_gzU)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Vargo posted:

HOOOOOO BOY

Ah yes, I also refer to people in the same room as me by their full names and a brief summary of their career accomplishments.

When one of your creator's more blatant self-inserts shows up, you make them feel welcome.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Deathy Deatherdoom (Funky Winkerbean's Reaper Ribaldries)

"Thanks for coming out to the funeral and contemplating mortality with me, Funky! Sure hope you don't have a heart attack any time soon!"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ukonvasara posted:

why would being addressed with an innocuous pet name by your long-term significant other be cause for goggle-eyed horror

Only married couples can call each other honey. That's how you can tell they're married.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
America's ray of sunshine, Les Moore

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Shame Batiuk didn't wait until closer to October to do this story so he could resolve it by sending the pizza box monster in.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Thanks, Batiuk, for the good old-fashioned victim blaming!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Are we sure Sarah isn't writing this storyline?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

J.R. Williams closes the magazine, grumbles, then turns to his drawing board and crumples up his "Born Thirty Years Too Soon" sketch

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Disappointing they came so close to "The Ghost Who Fills In" with this tweet and yet backed off.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Literally explaining the concept of hashtags to the olds, Batiuk also throws a dull Kelly in the corner. Top form today.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Wallace the Brave is so good.

[edit: removed what turned out to be a hoax]

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2022

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (November 12-15, 1936, and yes, the first one's a reprint.)

She better be cool with Peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I thought "supporting the other team" was supposed to be a stupid euphemism for sexual orientation, not gender identity. Geez Øverli, get it right