Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't post any comics but I love this thread and appreciate everyone who posts comics. Even the person who posts modern Overboard, even though I loving hate that strip and everything in it except Scratch, who is the best character and makes any strip good with his appearance. Also if it stopped being posted I'd miss how the guy who writes it has no idea what animals look like, such as the "reindeer" in the storyline last month which were just dogs with antlers.

I was hoping that Monty was listening to Machinehead by Bush, oh well.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

WHAAAAAT?

I agree with that one poster in the last thread who talked about Mandrake, the older strips I know exactly what the storyline is, what's happening, what their goal is, who they're after, and so on. These newer strips feel like a fever dream and I have no idea what the hell is going on or what's happening with anything. Like who is this Grando guy? Where are they? What led to this point in the storyline? I have no idea! Meanwhile in older Mandrake I know that they're after Lady Ermine, who posed as a fake mummy after a movie company had another guy pose as a fake mummy to drum up publicity for their movie, and they have now captured her right hand man, "Tattoo," by using a tattoo contest. They have also captured her chauffeur, who she pushed out of her car after he unsuccessfully tried to assassinate Tattoo.

Modern Mandrake though it's like uh...I remember a thing about Narda being framed for jewel theft? And Mandrake busted into the courtroom right before the verdict was read and did...something, to some guy, which apparently made him confess? I guess? And I honestly don't have any idea if it's related to Grando or what's going on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vargo posted:

BCN is one of my favorited but it also overthinks its own premise a ton, and never really got over being a webcomic. By that I mean, the concept is funny on its own, but the strip insists on doing ~*worldbuilding*~ storylines and constantly adding new characters that the art style is too simple to handle. (There are two unrelated orange cats that look exactly alike, there's an in-universe soap opera with one character that looks just like Puck, etc.)

I really like BCN but I'd say I agree with this, when the strip is just the cats reporting on the family doing things, it's great. But then you have stuff like the cats watching some old videotapes with a mouse in them that's incredibly old and the backstory of some fight with raccoons, or the stuff with the two mice escaping from a science lab, and that's where it loses me.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I don't like modern Mark Trail for the most part but one thing I do really like about it is that it's not afraid to say that climate change is real and very dangerous, as opposed to Jam Esallen being a climate change denier. Also good on Jules for calling out NFTs and blockchain tech as enormous wastes of energy, bet there's a bunch of lovely techbros whining about it on Twitter.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Why the gently caress do these people know this? The initial accident of "car hits child" was probably in the local papers but they wouldn't have run an article saying "victim of car crash from a month ago found to have lost some memories" because who cares? They can't have gotten it from the doctor who treated Sarah because that's a gross violation of HIPAA, and also this press conference just got called like five loving minutes ago so even if Rex wanted to use the "My daughter suffered memory loss so she can't have copied this guy's works" defense there's no way it would be public by now.

God drat this comic is an incredible train wreck of awfulness. Please don't stop posting it, I mean that sincerely.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

The moment I saw Wallace in the second panel I couldn't help but bust out laughing. Wallace rules.

rannum posted:

I am not falling for the mary worth trap again !

Ha, I didn't even fall for it the first time! But it's going to be fun to watch people in this thread slowly get their hopes up once again that maybe this time, Estelle will actually dump Wilbur for good, only to see those hopes fall into despair a second time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I like the kwanzaa story. It's dumb and nonsensical, but the point he's trying to make is that sometimes all you need to do is ask politely, and that it's generous to share if you can when people ask. The actual facts of the story are nonsense, and there really needed to be time to explain why she wasn't just sharing all the water (maybe the wood spirit wanted offerings from each person using the water?), but I get what he's going for.

Yeah I understand the message, but maybe it would have worked better if the village wasn't in the middle of a horrible drought, just "This woman has a much nicer looking place than us." Then it makes the three women who stole the jug out to be truly villainous and selfish, and doesn't make the woman with the infinite water jug an enormous rear end in a top hat for not telling the villagers dying of thirst "Hey there's a wood spirit who will give you all infinite water so you can live."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Esplanade posted:

What would you do with the power of the comics syndicate behind you?

I don't like new Mark Trail very much, as opposed to others in this thread, but since we're all hating Mary Worth right now, I'd love to see Jules take over that instead.

Also clone Will Henry and have him take over Nancy. Or just put Jerry Scott back on it like you said. Olivia Jaimes is better than the Dark Ages of Gilchrist, and she is absolutely capable of making fantastic strips every so often, but as I've said many times before she frequently just makes the same joke, and all of the children just seem full of anger and bitterness. There are so few strips where a character is actually happy, most of the time they're just angrily arguing with the other character in their mind.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah right, the weird right wing belief that only tall men are manly and thus women only want to date tall men.

Which is funny because right wingers like Ben Shapiro.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Slammy posted:

So It Seems March 24, 1952

Those Were the Days December 5, 1957

:females:

coronatae posted:

This strip ran til 1983. I cannot wait for Beeman in the late 1960s

Just alternating between dunking on hippies and being horny for braless women.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's the first rule in the book! The unwritten book of the road.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's still only 11 PM here on the US east coast, so I can't imagine that Sunday's strip would be uploaded anywhere. I feel like it's probably an edit, but I can't be 100% sure.

I want to believe though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm glad the strip is real.

Also when I was in the Navy and we were coming back from a Med cruise, we actually had a dude go off the side. They were being idiots and playing football on the flight deck and he went a little too far for a pass. The ship stopped as best it could and they sent out the small boats to search, but they never did find his body. This was during the middle of the day too.

What I'm saying is that it's nighttime and nobody even saw Wilbur, so in real life that would be the end of him. Especially since he's standing at the front of the boat, he would probably get sucked into the screws. That's probably what happened to the guy who fell off on my ship, too.

rannum posted:

He's going to be found, rescued and then they will make up & get back together again while he's in a hospital bed and you will all have been bamboozled once more

What do you think the odds are on Estelle apologizing to him, even though she is completely blameless?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

One last thing about Wilbur falling overboard is that despite what a lot of fiction would have you believe, water is not soft and is not safe to fall into from a great height. I learned this from, of all things, the old Real Ghostbusters cartoon from the 80s, where the Ghostbusters were falling from a portal over the ocean and Peter says "Well, at least we'll hit the water," and Ray replies "Actually, due to the surface tension, from this height hitting the water would be like hitting concrete."

I'm not sure how far it is from the deck of a cruise ship to the waterline, but it's probably a few stories at least, and on top of that Wilbur is very drunk and as such isn't going to think to do anything that would help lessen the impact of hitting the water. This means he has the potential to get a few broken bones, or even a head/spinal injury if he hits the water wrong.

I mean, it's a comic strip so he'll survive with a few bruises (maybe a broken bone or two), but yeah, as has been said many times before, Wilbur has essentially no chance of surviving if this scenario happened in real life.

Always a true classic:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wilbur's a fan of Big Gay Logan I see.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

RIP Lupin. Drawing Lupin could just be too hard for her after the loss, or maybe she will want him to live on in some form in the comic. People handle grief differently so all we can do is wait and see I guess.

I don't understand, why wouldn't Dustin want to work nights? I mean aside from the whole "Dustin just doesn't want to work at all because he's a lazy millennial" poo poo, he could work at night and then sleep during the day which would allow him to avoid the verbal abuse from his family, seems like a pretty favorable situation to me, I feel like he'd be asking for only jobs that had night shifts available.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics
The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

Wait what? Does velvet really burn instantly?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Just read a shonen action manga! Nobody in Dragon Ball ever goes on and on about how amazing food is. Especially not these two cool guys!

ah gently caress

My favorite anime trope is when aliens/creatures from other dimensions eat Japanese food and think it's the most delicious thing in the universe.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm going to look stupid but I can't for the life of me understand this one. I mean, I understand that the giraffe thugs are making it look like they have short necks, but to me that implies that it's some sort of reversal of the norm. But the only way that makes sense is if the norm is that human thugs make their necks look longer? Is that a thing?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Part of me hopes we get Wilbur on a cliche comic strip island that's just a small bit of sand with a single palm tree.

Hwurmp posted:

"no-neck" is uncommon and archaic slang for a thug, lunk, galoot, or possibly palooka

Oh wow I've never heard of that before. Neat, thanks!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Hey did you hear the Last Chance Dude Ranch got robbed?"

"What the hell? Who just goes and gets robbed like that? Well they're not getting any of my money!"

"Mine either, I refuse to support crime victims."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Once you start thinking about the thought bubbles in Overboard there's no going back. But yes it's telepathy, it has to be, there's no other explanation. There's other strips where the mice are talking to Louie in thought bubbles, and the mice use regular speech bubbles most of the time. The only time they seem to use thought bubbles is when they're talking to Louie around the pirates, which seems to be a conspiracy to keep the pirates from knowing that Louie can think human thoughts.

Also of note, the anthropomorphic months seem to also be able to hear Louie just fine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Say what now

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Not only would Overboard not make a dog strip this good, it would also use ten times as many words. Speaking of which...

So yeah, more proof that the animals in Overboard talk by telepathy, since Ray (who is a dog, and is able to talk to the human pirates just fine) is able to hear Louie, despite the human pirates not being able to. And as I said before, this also holds true for the mice and Scratch, and I believe the rabbits that raid that one pirate's vegetable garden as well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

riderchop posted:

what about the octopus that doesn't talk by either telepathy or speech but still got interrogated by the pirates

I'll be honest I haven't seen the octopus enough to know much about it. I want to say it's talked through telepathy at least once but that's not even really a vague memory, just a thing that I may be imagining.

But the bearded pirate (Nate) has directly threatened the sharks before when they were around Louie, so him threatening an octopus for doing the same even if he can't hear it talk isn't surprising.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's always a delight when the octopus gets posted.

Well now I feel compelled to post the baby seals, too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

lol at everyone who tried to kick the football thinking "surely this time Lucy won't pull it away!"

So now we're right on track for Wilbur and Estelle to be reunited at some point in the future and for her to apologize profusely for what happened to him, because she thinks it's all her fault for rejecting him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

riderchop posted:

she's going to get married while he's away and he'll be mad when he sees her husband

Either she will feel so much guilt for what she thinks she did to Wilbur that she won't be able to date another man, or they'll be reunited within a week (in strip time, I mean, not real time). I'm calling it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days January 30, 1958

Those wimpy modern people drinking pasteurized milk, don't they know the poo poo and pus gives it flavor?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I only knew Wimpy as the lovable scamp who tricked people into paying for hamburgers, but man he's kind of a piece of poo poo huh?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wish I was good at editing because this one seems ripe for it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Doomykins posted:

I'll be sharing some gems from Jucika Booru which is very NSFW as soon as you start searching but has lots of good fanart all the same.

First of all thanks for posting Jucika, it's a great comic!

Second, while there is some great art on here, I can see what people mean when they say that a lot of the fanart focuses too much on the sex part and not enough on the wholesome part.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wait that really was the end of the "Who robbed the dude ranch" case? A solution that came out of nowhere that would have been impossible for a reader to solve? Even for this comic that's really unsatisfying.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Put me in the camp of people that think Wilbur is going to try to survive Castaway style, and then one of the rich people who owns the private resort on that island is going to find him and be like "What the hell are you doing you idiot?" because Wilbur was too lazy to explore.

Obnoxipus posted:

seriously though, did anyone enjoy reading ethan frome? i need to study them like a rat in a cage.

Finally, a copy of Ethan Frome to call my own!

(I've never read it)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've forgotten almost all of my childhood and what I do remember is a hazy mess, but the only books I remember reading in school for English class were Johnny Tremain and A Tale of Two Cities. I didn't care much for either one.

I'm glad this woman is as unamused and tired of this guy's bullshit as we are, though we're probably supposed to hate her rather than thinking she's the only good character.

readingatwork posted:

-There is at least one tree in town that is sentient, can move, and has a real beef with kites for some reason.

Hey don't forget that the school building itself is sentient, and at one point dropped a brick from itself onto the head of someone who insulted Lucy, seeing as how it likes her.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That would explain why we never see Rerun and Linus/Lucy together, they don't want Linus to know that they're trying to replace him, and they want to make sure that Lucy's abuse doesn't cause Rerun to fail the same way Linus did.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Greg has attended the Mookie School of Cartooning where nothing exists beyond the panel borders.

CommonShore posted:

There also appears to the implied motion of Tiff's head turning to her right

I went back and looked at that comic again and while I know it's just to show her face, that's not a woman turning her head to her right. Her head is turned 180 degrees from the front of her body, that's some owl poo poo right there.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I really was hoping we'd get at least a few days of Wilbur doing poo poo like trying to build a tent out of leaves to survive, and that he'd just get discovered by someone walking down the beach thinking "What the gently caress is this idiot doing."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This is my favorite of the fan made Jucika strips.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The trick is to not be better than anyone, then you only need "people who are better than me" and everyone is in it.

It's worked for me!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't know anything about cruise ship procedures so is it normal that if there's an island relatively close to where a cruise ship is (since Wilbur was able to drift there in a few hours) that they just don't even check the island if someone goes overboard?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Crankshaft says that people who didn't wear masks were ignoramuses, yet they're all talking about how it's nice to not have to wear masks anymore when we are still in a loving pandemic (and many places still have mask mandates). Curious! Tom Batuik is not very intelligent at all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Pastis isn't wrong that rich assholes are happy to let us poor folks fight among ourselves because it keeps us from trying to make them less rich. The problem is that he apparently thinks that if we came together and actually did something about those rich assholes, that society would be harmonious and wonderful. Except, you know, even if we succeeded in getting rid of billionaires, right wingers would still want to deport non-whites and ban gay and trans people.

e: not even getting into the fact that our political system is set up to make it impossible to vote for people who actually want to do something about rich assholes not getting taxed enough

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm not qualified to speak as to whether Pastis is liberal, centrist, or slightly conservative. All I know is he has made a shitload of strips attacking people who ride bikes, portraying them as pompous assholes who everyone should hate. So I'm not inclined to give him any benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is true but it's also specifically a jab at the guy who draws family circus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Those strips are actually specifically jabs at a friend of his.

Ah okay, I didn't know that. It's just that I remember a particular rockheave comic that had the "most annoying person" competition between a vegan and a bicycle guy so you can see how that would color my perception of someone else who's drawing strips about how annoying bicycle guys are. But if it's about someone he knows personally and it's a lighthearted jab that changes things.