Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Murdstone posted:

Yes...yes...embrace the madness...embrace Wilbur...

Where there's a Wil-bur...

There's a way-bur...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Green Intern posted:

This shouldn’t be such a big deal. The car wasn’t damaged. Michael was clearly upset that he got lost and was late. Foobdad just has awful boomer parenting skills.

Ah well you see, the dad is angry, and his anger is justified and valid. Michael is afraid, upset, and ashamed, which are defects in character and invalid. Honest mistake? New driver's inexperience? All excuses, totally avoidable if Michael had not been a willfully disobedient boy.

It's possible that in the next few days of strips the dad will see the error of his ways here, but we've seen enough instances of the kids and parents being upset at each other in FOOB with no resolution or reconciliation (just someone staring frazzled into the middle distance with the strip's punchline in their though bubble as the other person walks away) that I don't have my hopes up.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

:perfect:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Success!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Hostile V posted:

Honestly I'm just glad that Tombat didn't decide to shout to the heavens and papers of record "I AM GOING TO DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT! THERE SHALL BE...A TRANS!" This just has the same weight and interest of Disney's fifteenth first queer character.

That said love of god Tombat don't try to write about The Trans Experience and use this as a jumping-off point.

I'm not sure whose wish it is but I can feel the finger on a monkey's paw curling inward.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Can we start a petition to bring back staring into the camera with an upset squiggly line mouth in place of the constant Funky Smirking?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

CommonShore posted:

explain the most recent one

It seems likely that, given the title of the strip and the 1939 copyright date, the reaction that we are seeing from the mother is one typical of mothers in 1909. To an audience in 1939, this reaction would seem quaint or anachronistic.

The "Born 30 Years Too Soon" strips aren't nonsense. They rely on a set of cultural cachet that is extremely foreign to us here, eighty years after the strip's publication. They are nostalgia for a time in which none of us were alive, from a time in which none of us were alive. We can find this curious and strange, but to write it off as the strip's "bazinga" does the strip a disservice.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I enjoy Out Our Way and am glad it gets posted. It's an interesting view at a time that's so very foreign to us, an era of Americana that isn't as fetishized as later decades would become. Occasionally not understanding it is a small price to pay for a glimpse into a forgotten time.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I lost it at "The children don't stand a chance!"

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

December is the month for MEATS

Thank you for posting these Christmas Out Our Ways! I love seeing these old traditions and celebrations this time of year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Definitely keep on posting what you post. If there's something I really don't like I can just keep scrolling, and sometimes stuff that I ignored will catch my eye and I'll become a loyal follower of it.