Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Murdstone posted:

:same:

Happy New Thread! Great OP, Some Guy TT! I'll do a blurb for some of my usuals that you didn't get to yet.
I also post classic Flash Gordon on Sundays.

The line art in this iteration of Flash Gordon is insanely good. I look forward to it every week.

Though I haven't been able to figure out how Flash gets his pipe-smokin' game on when in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chaco found a…stargate?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EBB posted:

I am super excited for these three knuckleheads to be questing

Expect some serious Mr. Magoo-action from our vaguely competent necromancer.

The name, I figure, was the weirdest thing Hal Foster could come up with that his readers (mostly kids) could actually sorta pronounce.

Likely he never sampled peyote or shrooms, and LSD didn't really exist outside of Sandoz' labs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JethroMcB posted:

The US GI's phrase book failed him so he's resorted to clumsy chicken charades to find eggs

Judging by the sweat, he's been at it for awhile, and the locals have been observing his interpretive dance with some fascination

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Popping in with an example of Dilbert from a desk calendar.

Definitely weeding out the day-to-day Adams BS for these.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those jokes are timeless.

Crab Dad posted:

Was blow jobs not invented yet?

Dude, only the French savages practice such wanton offenses!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that fat gently caress was supposed to drown

Hey, he might be dead!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiggum posted:

I've been meaning to see that for years, but I never get around to watching movies.

Well, smoke up and press play

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Um, the twilight anesthesia really does knock you out for while. I've had two, and I was never offered a tour, since I was supposed to be out. Although during my second one, I woke up before they had completed their expedition. That was fun.

They'll show you stills, afterwards.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

curtadams posted:

Among the many literary and logical idiocies of the current Mary Worth storyline is that if there were an island close enough to Wilbur's jumping off point for him to *drift* there in 12 hours or so, wouldn't they search it? It couldn't be more than a few miles.

Um, they may yet find him…

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drimble Wedge posted:

This is literally his hometown. Has he never been anywhere except home and school?

He's an inexperienced driver. He may know his town on foot, and by bike, and ridden around with his parents in cars...but he wasn't paying attention. Few kids do.

I was shocked to learn this when my son started driving. He needed directions everywhere. Eventually, the car-map figured itself out in his head.

In this case, the kid is so excited to be out in Dad's hot car that it is unlikely he was paying a whole lot of attention to where he was going; now he's in a spot he's never been to before & doesn't know where he is. Now he has to learn how to read a map, a necessary skill in the days before GPS & smartphones, but a dying skill today.

Hopefully, he can locate the airport on a map...

CommonShore posted:

Canadian Regionalism strikes again: this strip is set in the GTA which is a continuous rats nest full of gently caress on the roads. You can slide onto a highway and two exits over be in literally a different town which you'd never have any reason to go to in your life ever to visit for any reason, and it's completely full of one-way streets and the on-ramp going back the other direction for some reason isn't anywhere near the exit you took.

This is my experience driving around my wife's home area of Rochester, NY. Even worse at night because they skimp on lighting & it gets really rural, really fast.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 22, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powered Descent posted:

drat IT I WAS JOKING

IT WAS YOU

POWERED DESCENT

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I like how the BCN cats call the husband the man and if he ever has a line it has "x c'mon" in it.

DORIAN! C'MON!

GODDAMN IT

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (September 23-25, 1918)

Of course Tomboy Taylor invented the keg-stand

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I can't believe this whizzed right by everyone

:stare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 2/14/02

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 3/4-6/48
NEXT: Our friend, the amphetamine!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I'm Amelia: invisible

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: you thought yesterday was horrifying? Think again (November 28 - December 4, 2005)

Oh, come on! One of the best ED ad campaigns ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBtc3Xfge6c

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's about as American as it gets.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I doubt I will ever see robot servants in my lifetime...

I also want to point out how, while problematic his design is, I don't think in Out Our Way, we see Ick shown as more foolish/dumb/a bad stereotype than the other cowboys. I know his depiction is racist, but damnit nearly all the strips I've seen lately of him have him taking in orphaned animals, and while the other cowboys rib him a bit, it doesn't seem horrible or malicious.

Especially after Terry and the Pirates. I'm OK with them being just timg'd, but boy howdy

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

or

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 3, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm really digging Guidon.

If everyone would, please take a moment to appreciate the first panel and last panel Boltars.

:)

This one struck me:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'll find a use for this:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

And They Died! March 20, 1919

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiggum posted:

Is there something unusual about pig farms? :confused:

The odor emanating from a pig farm on even a mild day could knock a buzzard off a shitwagon.

I think Hy is modelled on a young Don Knotts.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

For comparison: here's my Fall term bill from Pitt. Includes room & board.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I can never tell if Scary Gary is supposed to take place at night and I don't think the colorists can either.

I have done absolutely no research so I am totally ready to be wrong.

He's a vampire.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MariusLecter posted:

Since you can forge anything in someone's name when they're transformed into a mouse. What are they gonna do, sue you for fraud? Go down to the mouse courthouse with their mouse lawyer and tell the mouse judge about your crimes? Don't be ridiculous!

:nws::nws:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Don't mind the bad takes. You'd better keep posting Blueberry; it rocks - same as with most of the others.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

Wouldn't mind hearing that myself. Any chance of remembering the exact episode?

I remember it too and am looking for it. When the UN convened in New York, diplomats from non-white countries were consistently denied services. There was a State Dept. brouhaha and restaurants, etc settled down. If memory serves, some local folks read of this, and found it useful to claim to be an African diplomat to obtain service - apparently it worked.

Then, there was this: https://www.history.com/news/african-diplomat-segregation-scandal-jfk

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 24, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JethroMcB posted:

When my grandfather went in for an in-clinic sleep study they woke him up after like an hour and said "You gotta go home, you can't sleep here because we're worried you'll die and we can't be liable for that"

Anyhow very excited to get my upcoming home sleep study done so I can get the C-PAP that I've definitely needed for 15 years at this point.

That happened to me in 1996. There was a box the size of a 4-slice toaster next to the bed with wires at one end & a ribbed hose at the other. The tech said that it was a CPAP unit. After getting wired up with about 20-sensors & looking more like Plant-Man with all this crap hanging offf, I tried to sleep.

Some time later, the lights came on & the tech was putting a mask on me. I don't remember anything after that until she woke me (with some difficulty) 3-hours later.

She explained that the CPAP was never used, but between my waking up 90-times an hour and my O2 saturation dropping to 55%, she masked me up. Best sleep I ever had. It was a nervous six weeks before getting my first CPAP & I've used one ever since.

For the love of god, don't put off getting one if you even think that you have sleep apnea. Get tested. The ongoing major organ damage will probably kill you. It was likely a factor in my father's death at 61, and killed John Candy, and prboably many others, as hardly anyone knew what it was in 1995.

I would fall asleep every day driving to work, and driving home from work. Woke up once, passing a gasoline tanker on the freeway. It's a miracle I'm still here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

....aaaaannnd you just killed the tree by girdling it!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I ought to start posting the Dilbert tear-off daily calendar comics because they are clearly editing out Adam's nuttier takes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I like Holbrook's work. No, I don't think too deeply about the internal logic of his universe; it's simply an avatar to provide perspective on the human condition. Sentience brings its own curses, irrespective of the species. I like the art.

Drakyn posted:

I don't want this but I am interested in hearing details.

I posted a couple way up-thread.

It's still your standard, anodyne office stuff: PHB is cluelessly evil; Wally still unproductive; can't believe Alice still works there; Asok the intern I think is now getting paid, etc.

Really haven't come across anything cringe-y, especially not like Adam's dailies that were posted here. Closest he comes is making fun of people who blindly follow idiots online, but it's strictly neutral - either side would nod.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

Dogbert March 30, 1967
Boss appears to be rustling up an rear end-whuppin'

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Holy LOL Brave Sir Robin up in this battle with Val! Guess he really was brave, once!

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

Getting a memory: whiff of my 14-YO doused in Axe.
I find this artwork odd but very appealing. Thanks for posting it!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Made an av.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

More like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002