Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Thanks, as always, to the people who put the effort into posting the funnies for another year.

And remember: Dustin Burn in Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Look at how happy Wallace is realizing that they're about to be swarmed by gulls. One of the funniest and most consistent joke structures in this entire strip is how there's always an odd person out in a group reaction panel.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MiracleFlare posted:

Luckily I still have the links saved from when I showed some friends: The last time Estelle thought about marriage with Wilbur, about two years ago and shortly after he ruined a double date out of drunken jealousy that his ex (that he dumped for a younger hotter woman) now had a younger hotter man.

Oh my God that was two years ago. (The boxing Wilbur babies imagery was very good and memorable, though I still don't think it makes a lot of sense in terms of the characters/story.)

Anyhow yes this storyline sucks a butt and I am going to be shocked if we steer away from the "I dunno, stick it out with this obnoxious dick you don't have that much chemistry with" ending

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Maybe he'll fall overboard all on his own.

Ah, so we're going to Mary Worth's second favorite storyline, "Nobody drinks in this strip unless they have a problem, and when they do they deserve what they have coming to them"

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

"Why do people insist on bringing up all my frauds?"

So the strip artist couldn't put any kind of effort into making these dogs distinct in any way?
Maybe that's the joke?
But if that IS the joke then it means the previous storyline was about an author who is so dim he couldn't think of the concept of "two dogs" without a child delivering it to him with a bow on top?

I have to stop thinking about this or I am going to have a stroke.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dustin hit a very special "gently caress off and die" spot today

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 1/6/02

I'm always delighted by jokes based around "look at these high-end computer specs." They age like milk but also give me that fun burst of "Man, Remember when?" nostalgia

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Bloop posted:

Always reminds me of this genuinely funny dilbert panel from the before times

The ones that always spring to my mind are the Foxtrot strips that involved computer shopping.

In 1990, Andy wanted to upgrade from the family's old Apple II so she could file her newspaper columns "By modem":

In the late 90's, Bill Amend was VERY concerned about one missing feature on Apple's newly announced hardware line:

And before settling on the "iFruit," Jason made a plea for the family to go with something a little less user-friendly (Though you can see that Amend learned his lesson about dropping specific tech details that would be outdated by the time the strips actually hit the papers:)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Je ne parle pas francais. I don't get the joke; something about a misunderstanding?

The US GI's phrase book failed him so he's resorted to clumsy chicken charades to find eggs

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I believe the Mary Worth strip is real and also that this plot is still going to wind up taking another miserable, infuriating turn

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

It's been sitting in front of us this whole time, brilliant.

Still don't trust this story. They already gave Mary her victory lap of "solving" a problem by gaslighting a woman into remaining in a toxic relationship. Something's gotta give.

CommonShore posted:

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

The only memorable moment I remember from recent Mary Worth history was last year when the woman revealed that her late husband had been abusive and, out of nowhere, we got a strip about how her dog had taken a bullet for her when her husband tried to shoot her. Then she and the old guy from Up just pivoted back to "Wow! Dogs are truly special." for another six weeks while the revelation of "Oh, my husband was cruel, he'd laugh at me, he would trip me, and one time he tried to MURDER ME WITH A GUN AT POINT-BLANK RANGE" went unaddressed.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 10, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
RIP Lupin

See you in the funny pages (but not in, like, a mean or dismissive way)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

plainswalker75 posted:

That slogan is making me irrationally angry

Slogan written by Early Cuyler

My Lovely Horse posted:

They're really incapable of framing any situation in a context that isn't high school, are they.

I hope the results of this test, being administered by their high school guidance counselor (which they probably should've taken in high school,) is going to recommend that they both go back to high school.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Boo this man

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

You don't want to hire the kind of guy that probably carries glass knives

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I knew it felt like I'd seen this joke within the last month:

It's a good gag that works in both panels, but I prefer the bear one.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Spotted this in the middle of a big ad for Army surplus gear:

Although the actual item looks a bit less terrifying than the art:

Hey, I've seen that mask recently:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Endless Mike posted:

"We saw this drunk jackass fall off the boat. That was about 20 miles behind us, so it's best to assume he got eaten by a shark."

"Now remember, he was very lazy and already looked pretty bloated to begin with, so if we find his body bobbing around in the surf it's not a given that he's drowned."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days January 9, 1958

Seriously, did Beeman have a calendar at his desk that was marked "First week of a new year, time to do the 'Antiques? We called em JUNK!' comic again"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Just realized the "Finding Work - What Works" changed from a question to an exclamation in the span of two days. Quality work, Evanses.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hey, Linda. You know that totem you keep around that represents your husband's CTE and gradual descent into early-onset dementia? The one that you project all your grief onto?
Yeah, possibly even the one he wore when he intentionally drove off the road?
Can we borrow that for a gag?

...oh, you know I'm going to stand in the background of the final panel and look smug about it, no worries there! Yeah, while she's wearing your dead husband's gear. It's a pretty good joke, I'm satisfied with this.

Uh-huh...you still think you got shortchanged by the suicide arc ending over a month before its announced length so we could do another couple months of Lisa misery strips? I...uhh, your signal's cutting out, I think I'm losing you, bye.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

maltesh posted:

I thought it got cut short because the Pizza Box Monster had to return?

Ha! I almost went with pizza box monster but couldn't remember the exact timing and figured Les Moore: Saddest Man in the World was the safer pick

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually said "You gotta be loving kidding me" out loud

I knew he wasn't dead. I knew some twist was waiting around the corner. But "Wilbur does Castaway"...I just didn't think it was possible.

Because it's stupid.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This is all okay if it turns out that Wilbur has washed up at Hedonism II

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I haven't seen a colonoscopy played for a laugh this hard since the opening of Uncut Gems

...I also hope this week of Dustin strips ends very similarly to Uncut Gems

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Maybe he'll fall from the tree and die.

He'll fall from the tree and shatter his spine, have his face caved in by a coconut that follows him...and then we, and Wilbur, learn that Wilbur is a Highlander

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
We did not read Ethan Frome in my 11th grade American Literature class. We did, however, read The Scarlet Letter, which is an absolute turd of a book. The lesson here is that if you have to read any book about some dour New Englanders, brother, it's gonna suck!

NRVNQSR posted:

I think reading Ethan Frome in school is probably a mostly American-exclusive thing? The only place I've ever even heard of it is

Forget about his essay, Charlie Brown, you need to be asking Linus "I remember when you were a newborn baby; why are we in the same grade now? I remember Lucy was a baby too, and I was already me then. What's happening? Am I in Hell?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh come on it's been like a half a day, tops. In that time they've maybe stopped searching, but definitely as we see Estelle has already gotten home from wherever they were in the cruise and told Dawn and Mary about all this.

Wilbur washed ashore on an island like 12 hours after falling off the boat
Wilbur almost immediately realized it was a resort island
Wilbur apparently has not attempted to contact anybody in the last week

This plot was painstakingly workshopped to be a dumb as possible.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kennel posted:

FBI raided Epstein island and found Wilbur there.

Having been promised that the island will now be called "Little Saint Wilbur," he has been duped by a money launderer/sex trafficker into accepting ownership of the island for any and all tax and legal purposes

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean featuring AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH GODDAMMIT LES MOORE!

"Penny for your thoughts, Les."
"Dying. Illness. Impending Death."
"Jesus Christ, always with this poo poo."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

You gotta be effing kidding me. "People think Mary Worth is insufferable right now? Time to remind them who's King poo poo around these parts!"

Drakyn posted:

Funky Wankerdeath

:discourse:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter September 30, 1950

September 27, 1950: Ezzard Charles retained his World Heavyweight Championship against Joe Lewis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EBB posted:

Just peeked at tomorrow's Mary Worth and all I can say is gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I swear to God That better be the Dog talking

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Selling cigarettes with dwarf judo!

(Johnny Roventini was a real person -- although probably not judo-trained.)

Something that always strikes me about cigarette ads is that they often talk around "Hey, isn't smoking deeply unpleasant? Don't you hate the sensation of inhaling smoke? Try our brand, it's slightly less abrasive than other cigarettes!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Binary Badger posted:

Looks like an Everett True crossover to me..

Still works if you take away the maps and give everyone a different smartphone

You don't even have to have different phones, just different apps. Google Maps and Waze, despite both being Google products, will give me wildly different suggestions for a trip.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I am surprised that Wilbur is getting what he deserves...but it's Monday. I expect to be disappointed again by Sunday. (Also adding my voice to the "Shut the hell up, Mary" chorus. Maybe this is the week that Estelle finally lays into her for her crap advice.)

Vargo posted:

Yeah, it's important to recognize that Dr Foobdad is less mad about Michael driving around as much as he is mad that Michael went driving in his precious midlife crisis mobile, the one everyone told him was a stupid and irresponsible purchase. Michael hasn't yet earned the right to be as dumb and careless as his dad (according to his dad).

About 20 years ago, when I was in driver's ed/learner's permit mode, my dad bought a Jeep Wrangler as his midlife crisis "I always wanted one of those" car. I have driven it once since then, for a grand total of two miles (And I think he doesn't know about that drive to this day.) Losing access to a sports car for 6 months doesn't even register for me.

quote:

Breaking Cat News is in reruns this week while Georgia Dunn takes some time off.
Wallace the Brave

I didn't expect a second week off of this setup. Fantastic. (Also I really liked how the fourth graders referenced hijacking the school's PA last week. Nice bit of continuity.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kazinsal posted:

god dammit I thought he stroked out a couple years ago but NOPE I was wrong

He's been stroking off, not out. That's the problem.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"My infant child is my sworn enemy. Her every waking moment is motivated by spite, born of her white-hot hatred for me. We do not negotiate with terrorists."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days Foreshadowing perhaps?

Oh yes, excited to see where this goes.

Foreground extra in the first panel: Mirror-universe Thicc Shelley?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Transmodiar posted:

Hot take: nuNancy is worse than Gilchrist Nancy. Convince me otherwise.

The Sunday strips are still pretty good. I appreciate Olivia Jaimes not making Aunt Fritzi a rockabilly pinup bombshell who exclusively wears shirts that say "MERLE HAGGARD" and "I STAND FOR THE FLAG" stretched across her H-cups; it is a net positive when weird creeps can be stopped from monetizing their fetishes in the funny papers.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

El Spamo posted:

There is no existing universe where they did a sufficient amount of butt-kissing to get a nomination

Ehh, the nomination is the most believable part of the whole thing. If those "Anonymous Academy Voter's Ballot" features that entertainment blogs/the trades routinely publish are any indication, a totally down-the-middle cancer drama that simply got DVDs into the hands of the finicky old cranks that vote could easily coast to a few nominations. (See this one where a finicky old crank insists that Parasite shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture alongside "regular films," which is just the tip of the iceberg on their bad opinions.)

Green Intern posted:

So we either get Les Moore's greatest triumph, having his wife immortalized in cinema forever, or a lot of smug moralizing after the fact when this lady is passed over for some other less-worthy performance.

It's almost certainly going the smug moralizing route, though I could also see the outcome where she wins and spends her entire speech (which takes a week of strips) thanking Lisa for literally saving her life while Les Moore sits in the audience making the same goddamn "smug, but depressed" expression he always does.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ain't the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zereth posted:

When did the Trails get a flying car?

They bought it used off of Calvin's Mom and Dad.