Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

So my main experience with Mallard Fillmore was reading the Boston Globe comics page in the 90s, which I guess must be the old guy who used to do the comic?

Anyway, my main question is does the new guy have a weird obession with home schooling? Like, if you believed Tinsley, the main risk of homeschooling would be that your brain would become so dense with knowledge that it would override local gravity and become a black hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pants Donkey posted:

Amy Schneider hit a Jeopardy win streak recently and made a record for women, but she’s trans so it doesn’t count. Because…the brain is a muscle and testosterone would thus increase its thinky power. Yeah, that sounds airtight.

Also lol at unironic use of “blacks”.

Kellies nomination: Least Disguised Bigotry (LGBT+)

Holy poo poo how did that get published, and how will they find a way to top themselves over? Cus you know they will.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

If nothing else it's been fascinating watching Tatsuya slowly nazi-fying week-by-week. It's like those movies where the guy transforms into the monster little by little until by the end he's given up his humanity and is completely gone.

Also loving No Go Zones godammit. :cripes:

It's weird to me cus I remember Old Sinfest. It was preachy, for a web comic, but there was a fluffyness to it. This is just completely out of left field for me. It's like if it turned out that Megatokyo turned into a screed about how the moon landing was fake or something.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

The horse paste and the damage done

I caught you postin' on my facebook wall
I love my grandson, can I meet him once?
Ooh, ooh, the damage done
I hit the 'rona and I lost my mind
I watched the MAGA take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done
I sing the song because I love orange man
I know that some of you don't understand
'Chloroquine, to keep from running out
I've seen the Horse paste and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every Q-bot's like a settin' sun

(EDIT: Also, Politoons 2022: I've Seen the Horse Paste and the Damage Done)

Neito fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 1, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tibalt posted:

I can't tell if I'm agreeing with Mike Lester about a factually true statement (the Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race) or if he's trying to illustrate the 'absurdity' of the statement... By pointing to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, which also wasn't about race either.

Edit: oh, this is about Whoopi Goldberg equating Nazis and Jews as two sides of a conflict. What a weird way to illustrate that point?

Edit edit: no, actually people are mad about Goldberg about saying it wasn't about race because Nazi ideology is actually racist, but I'm still confused about what the Hatfields Mccoys have to do with this??

They're both white is the only takeaway I can find.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The clear solution is an all-Ted-Rall-based school curriculum.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

No one cares about Groundhog Day more than political cartoonists.

Bill Murry stans.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I almost want to touch the poop to ask him, because the only thing I can pull out of it is either "Black people == real racists" or "The media making a mountain out of a molehill", which are, in this case, entirely contradictory points

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Even if IQ wasn't horseshit, and intelligence was a trackable constant, 50% of people wouldn't be below average, because average and median are two different things.

I've heard average used to refer to median, though it usually refers to Mean in conversation.

Not for a second that I think Theodore Rall the Lesser has a command over the three statistical averages, to be fair.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

You know I've been meaning to ask for a while, but what the gently caress is up with the way Clay Jones draws Trump? What's the giant pink think supposed to be? where's his face?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

escapegoat posted:

Now is the perfect opportunity for cartoonists to recycle their cartoons from...14 years ago??? :stonklol:

Re-run that South Park episode, too.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Of COURSE Garrison thinks Vox Day is an intelligent person.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tibalt posted:

According to YouGov, Curling is the 10th most followed winter sport in America. It's no Ice Hockey or Figure Skating, but it's definitely one of the most popular sports and I don't understand why people are acting like it's this bizarre new fad. It's been an Olympic sport since 1998.

Same reason they pretend Soccer is weird or Lacross is sissy bullshit: It's not one of the five Boomer Approved sports: Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Football, and NASCAR.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Simple. "Dying of Covid" is a real thing that happens, "Dying with Covid" is a meaningless distinction you drew because your head can be used to rethread needles.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Of all the banking practices to get mad at why focus on fractional reserve banking? :psyduck:

Also I have no idea what BOMF is supposed to be and I'm not sure I want to.

Bomf is his generic SFX for "thing a devil does to devilify something", like making an evil book or whatever.

Fractional Reserve Banking is one of those "I really just mean Jews" dogwhistles. It's the idea that, because FRB allows banks to "multiply" money, it's bad and causes inflation and poo poo. It's the same kind of zeroith-order thinking that makes someone a goldbug.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Fractional banking was (and technically still is) a problem…but only because deregulation in the 80s/90s allowed banks to gamble the amount they have to keep in reserve on stuff. Which became….troublesome when that stuff happened to be bundled mortgages.

Could he be a dumbass goldbug, an anti-Semite, or both? The answer is probably both.

Yeah. FRB is "bad" in the way inflation is "bad" or debt is "bad": when your understanding of economics extends to the edges of your peripheral vision and no further.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I bet this inquest will finally put her away!

I guess the right wing has just decided Hillary's running for president in 2024, whether she is or not.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey remember when Tucker Carlson said this and you had to play it off for a cycle like he was just joking? Using satire?
Oh, so now you unironically believe it?
Cool.

I wonder how far down on the Right-Wing Grift totem pole these guys are, though. They might actually buy that poo poo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Durham thing is just Benghazi: Reloaded and the only people who give a poo poo about it are the same people who think Hillary Clinton purposely told security to stand down for the sole purpose to get Americans killed because she’s a Saturday morning cartoon villain

So, basically, republicans who time traveled from 1991?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I get that they desperately want Hillary to run for president, but has Bill done... ANYTHING relevant in the last handful of years?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

How does panel one lead into panel two? How are these two objects interacting?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, this is what struck me most about this cartoon. If you weren’t already in the headspace that trans women in sports is a constant, overwhelming threat that forever stops women from achieving, then this cartoon makes no sense.

You literally need to have you first reaction to hearing about women’s sports be “loving [slur against trans people]!!!!!” to not have to puzzle about it until you understand the point.

IDK what it says about me, but my first assumption was "This is a comic against trans people".

Probably that conservatives have like a three track mind, and this is one of the tracks.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

So…by their logic

Found your problem.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It's like reading Newspaper Spider-man, where the first two panels of every strip are just the last two panels of the previous strip.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I actually haven't listened to Biden in ages, since I don't really watch my news, but I heard him speak the other day. The man sounds tired. I know it's a tough job and everyone ages violently during it, but this really making a good case to not have such an old president.

The cartoonists here like to say he's got dementia or whatever, which is just cruel and wrong, but he does sound exhausted just go with that.

I don't remember which of the right-wing political mock threads I said it in (Maybe freep?) but a lot of the "Biden has dementia" takes are latching on to things he uses to manage his reletively aggressive studder. So they're not just lovely takes (I wasn't a fan of the Trumpmentia takes either, to be fair, even if that's a bit "it turns out you don't, in fact, have to give it to them"), they're ABLEIST lovely takes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Is "Worst Kids These Days" a category for the Kellies?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

That is not a kid, it is a dad.

"Kids these days" is a tone, not a description of who's being talked about.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

hooman posted:

It wasn't "decades of no full scale international conflicts", the cartoon read "decades of peace". It's a bad take that erases a series of very damaging conflicts.

Only western europe and not ireland count to these people.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

oobey posted:

Olive oil, Hydrogen gas, and Fossil fuels.

Checkmate, liberals. Owned again. :smug:

The dreaded OOOEC (Organization of Olive Oil Exporting Countries) embargo in the 70s ruined italian food for a generation.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Arin sums up my views on this strip at the timestamp indicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d74zLbcQ-Cc&t=31s

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Also wasn't the book Bilbo wrote There and Back Again?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I love seeing all these cartoons about how Russia's invasion of Ukraine proves that caring about climate change is dumb. Really shows how their brains are broken on such a fundamental level they can't take in any new information without framing it in their personal grievances.

Two bad things can't be happening at once, so if there's war there's no more climate change.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Man, the history re-write of how much we loved MLK worked fast.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

He died more than 50 years ago.

I mean, it's not like this comic would be wildly out of place in the 90s save for the context of the convoy.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

From the IoSM thread:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Would it be touching the poop to tweet that at Rall? Probably, huh.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

But it also looks like tears so maybe "emotions bad too"?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if, and this could just be me overanalyzing a B-tier webcartoonist's life, but I wonder if part of the problem is that Tatsy was "kinda a feminist" in like the 90s/2000s and treated his dumb poo poo like he had finished the final of Feminism and was now A Feminist, rather than viewing it like it is, which is an ongoing dialog and re-evaluation of his views as the world progresses.

After that it's all "I refuse any introspection" and then it's straight into the TERF or Alt-right pipeline.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Somfin posted:

Anyone who says they're doing good things is obviously doing the thing that evil people would do, so we should side with the folks who say they're doing evil things, like the devil wait no the devil is bad umm

A lot of reactionary types use "the greater good" as a rhetorical or literal enemy because it conflicts with their idea of individual exceptionalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Athas posted:

NATO is more energised, united, and active than in any time in my living memory. They are acting with far more competence than Russia. Is Payne just upset that NATO isn't also driving armoured vroom-vrooms into Ukraine?

Yes. Tanks are big and powerful and clearly the best thing to make in the modern era and not at all hilariously obsolete as of the middle of WWII.