Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah actually they will posted:

I have a question about this probation reason, please.

I'm sure they'll live without posting for a day but obvious grudge-probating is so inappropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

drat someone should demod him

you're being sarcastic but he should banned for abusing his buttons as he had a meltdown lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

El Burbo posted:

He’s already gonna be demodded and banned dude

we'll see if they honor his permaban, I would guess probably not. it's not that big a deal though, it's just goofy this keeps happening

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked power rangers a lot as a four/five-year-old so I feel like I was somehow programmed to like anime by the time my house got a promotional Pokemon VHS when I was like six or seven

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

Remember how for Endless Waltz they sent all the Gundams on a rocket to the sun now that peace was declared, then had to chase it down to bring the Gundams back after someone started another mech war?

Almost as dumb as the toonami editing where they talk about making sure to disable but not kill hundreds of enemies.

i remember when the movie came out on toonami thinking it was just showing how fuckin skilled they were that they could beat all the enemies without killing them (because the show is ultimately about striving for peace, right?) but i could see that being editing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Supremezero posted:

They can be terrible people doing terrible things even if it's regarding a terrible thing.

I'm sorry but no, the thread was a problem that wasn't being addressed. it's no sin to crash a thread like that

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

calling namtab a pedo apologist for not immediately blamming literally everything, or calling the owner of the site a limp dick new york jew, or w/e, is not good, even if the thread was also bad. the people crashing the thread werent the problem but a lot of the qcs discourse was.

I feel bad for namtab and that post by cum was not good

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

MiA always skeeved me out and I was always kinda leery about it being in open discussion, especially after the last couple pedogeddons that hit adtrw, but namtab was 100% correct that banning the op 5 years after the fact would’ve been a waste of time and done nothing to satiate the people in helldump 2 qcs, who at that point were entirely keyed up and weren’t gonna stop until either they tuckered themselves out or Jeffery returned from whore island early to personally suck all their dicks and give them direct control of the site.

actually everyone would have loved if the people who are in charge of this site had just gone "wow, what the gently caress, huh? let's get that sorted" and all the people quoted in the op of the current qcs thread got bopped. it would have been an easy slam dunk

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There were multiple people calling for namtab’s head for poo poo that happened literally when they were not a mod yet, gently caress outta here

I'm not saying anything about that, pal. I'm really not laying anything on namtab, they took on the mantle at the worst time, I honestly feel bad

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

i dont think everyone quoted in the op of the current qcs thread deserves to get banned. the people who were really religiously defending the weird stuff sure but just the people making fairly benign posts like 7 years ago about the early material of a show that gets worse as it goes, i dont really agree. like colonel is quoted in that thread and i dont think theyve even watched made in abyss.

okay, there's one person who shouldn't be. I'm not going to take every quote from that op and place it here, but I think reading the ones where they're really gleeful about the manga/anime's content or they're defending it like whoever was complaining about it at the time was just being a prude about child nudity of all things, it speaks for itself. it's clear that they've got to go, I don't know how else to feel about it

I post in this subforum every now and again and I would like it not to have that kind of thing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

and people saying they just like the show without specifically mentioning the sex stuff as a positive can be forgiven since as mentioned in that op itself stuff gets normalized to an extent, especially with the show airing on toonami/the manga being available in barnes and noble, its easy to look past stuff if youre somewhat inured to it.

this is my only disagreement here. if it has hosed up stuff like lots of naked middle schoolers and something about a living toilet, I don't know how you just get past that

El Burbo posted:

Actually you shouldn’t ban me

you don't have to respond to this, you don't owe me anything, but can you talk a little about this? it seems like you watched the show or read the manga, enjoyed it, and defended it here

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

thats the thing, i know this is an extremely funny point to make and i agree its incredibly funny to point out where the living toilet fits into the continuity, but it does feel kinda relevant. i havent watched mia at all but it seems like a lot of that stuff comes in as it goes on. and the anime cuts out a ton of the nudity from the manga. and that toilet scene seems to be from a manga chapter made after s1 of the anime aired. the torture scene clip is from the recent movie. obviously in a narrative sense something about a descent into a dark labyrinth or w/e is going to get darker/more hosed up as it goes, its just that it is also, the bad kind of hosed up that it keeps layering on. not that the early material seems spotless and innocent or anything given the posts in that thread but still, its easy to see how there's a level where some people could get past it and then it could introduce way worse stuff later.

like iunno, imagine if the sex jokes in early dragon ball got way way waaaaayyyy worse instead of mostly disappearing. and also dragon ball was airing in 2015 or w/e. work with me here. someone could watch the early dragon ball stuff and think the stuff with master roshi and bulma sucks but be into the fun dragon ball adventure and the martial arts and stuff, and then later on there's way worse jokes with master roshi or smth, but they dont know it because the anime adaptation hasnt gotten to it yet. theres a disconnect where the manga is both later into the material and the anime tries to cover up for some of the manga's weirdest poo poo, so people dont fully grasp what it is.

i think its fair to give people some benefit of the doubt imo. i know this might be controversial but i think most people arent pedophiles and if presented with the material in the later manga straight up, unabridged, would go 'yeah that shouldnt be discussed on this forum.' in that hypothetical dragon ball scenario the people going 'i hope master roshi creeps on the 14 year old more' would be bannable but the people saying 'kamehamehas are cool' or 'yeah the sex jokes are kinda weird' wouldnt be.

I'm with you on the dragon ball stuff, but I feel like you're getting lost in the reeds with the dates on stuff because it appears that people were discussing the manga and the anime in that thread, and many (which we agreed should be done away with) were turned onto the manga with the promise of child nudity. I also feel like some posters probably know just well enough not to out and out say they like that part, and just post about the strong themes of resilience through adversity as relayed through the nude children being dismembered (?)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

the grouchio rule

absolutely stunning that they're not perma'd, and that's before the awful MiA posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

people were discussing the anime and manga in that thread but not everyone was watching/reading both, is what im saying here. or even watched all the way through the anime as it aired. like someone who watched two episodes of it and went 'oh this seems neat' and then didnt watch or post anymore about it shouldn't be punished.

yeah, sure. I think it'd be fairly easy, if maybe requiring some time, to go through and figure out who that was vs those who aren't good people that we want here