Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sorry for being stupid and being the straw that broke it’s back. I was just stupid and paid attention to FYAD the dumbest thing I could have done.

Patware posted:

mazed posted just as badly as you did

worse, perhaps. :cripes: that was my bad, gently caress me

On a more constructive note: I just read Teenage Renaissance David-kun and I'm extremely impressed at how far a completely formulaic story can be taken when you've got the right gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Bleach was something you could binge but never feel satisfied with because each manga volume takes about ten minutes to read.

Then you go to watch the show and the first ten minutes of each episode is the last ten minutes of the previous.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Automata's combat is fine, but if you even touch sidequests, everything in the main scenario is as threatening as wet kleenex.

Larryb posted:

How would you even possibly adapt Automata’s final ending in anime form?

The same way they concluded the final Rebuild of Evangelion movie.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I love that loving duck, that duck will be my champion

Captain Invictus posted:

im high as balls on painkillers because my stitches just came out and I am having a bit of trouble being coherent

but I wanna say I love all you folks even if you don't like me and I wish the best for you and this is the best anime community on the intenret

there's too much misery and suffering in this world especially lately, let's just enjoy anime togehher. I just want people to be able to be happy and to be able ti fond happiness in anything they can

your posts are good, and haters should not hate.

Also probably 100% true about anime communities because if you ever think it's bad here it just takes one look at reddit or a youtube comment thread to comprehend the wretchedness elsewhere.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Urusei Yatsura was basically the Family Guy of anime

only it was actually funny

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Little Witch Academia is unironically the best Trigger show

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm watching Kaguya-sama dubbed and I've got a question: How does the English dub narrator compare to the original Japanese guy?

I'm absolutely loving how he hams it up but I'm wondering if that's a new embellishment or if the original guy is just as spicy.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

If the anime completely excised the sexualization of children, and the weird, gross, unnecessary peripheral baggage (pee pants, living toilets, etc.) it might not be completely terrible.

Reading over that sentence, it's hard to disagree with the motion to ditch the series entirely. Not without frustration, because the setting of it is genuinely good. I do not understand what it is that compels creators to inject otherwise decent works with their hosed up fetishy garbage.

Are there some better shows out there with the same kind of fantastical journey-into-the-unknown, alien-setting-that-exists-by-it's-own-rules adventure stories? I'm drawing a blank because it seems like most fantasy these days is overwhelmed by isekai.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

don't bring back the vtuber thread, just make Namtab a vtube avatar so they can link a video wherein they state the crimes they're probing/banning someone for

Arc Hammer posted:

Love Hina is lame and obnoxious and not worth it unless you're a sexually frustrated 15 year old who still thinks getting punched in the face for seeing someone's underwear is the peak of comedy.

it's one of that style that's cargo-culting Urusei Yatsura, who's male lead does constantly get his rear end beat in a slapstick way by the beautiful women around him because he's openly a sex pest, so he actually deserves it, and it jives with the overall tone of the comedy (which is essentially anime Looney Tunes)

it sucks

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Srice posted:

don't forget that it's cargo culting maison ikkoku too!

ah yes.

gotta double-dip that Takahashi plagiarism.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

bring back poofy haired lesbians with giant pauldrons and combat leotards.

80s/90s anime is what got us all into it so clearly that's when anime was Good.

Covok posted:

When will the Isekai boom end?

when the truck is either slain for good...or isekai'd itself.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm making dubious assumptions about the median age here, don't mind me

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ranma 1/2, Record of Lodoss War, and Vampire Hunter D, in middle school, on scratchy-to-the-point-of-incomprehensibility VHS tapes

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

whether or not the shows in question were "quality" was, at the time, something for later consideration at best. It can't be overstated how rapturously rad it was being a 7th grader in the mid 90s finding out about cartoons with violence and boobies.

(later we'd discover Slayers, Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop, and determine that yes, yes indeed, anime could be GOOD, if at times baffling)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched Pokemon obsessively growing up, right up until Ash made it to the Indigo League.
And lost.
Yeah.

That Pokemon episode is so frickin good on a rewatch. It's like the kindest, kid-friendliest way of saying sometimes the "hero" loses, and not just loses, but loses in an unexpectedly humiliating way (Pikachu gets his rear end kicked not by some badass legendary or whatever, but by a fuckin Bellsprout). But no one's traumatized, there's no great tragedy, just poo poo happens and the important thing was always the journey.

NikkolasKing posted:

And of course DBZ was there, too. I'll never forget I thought the series ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because they started doing reruns after that episode.

But I will always call Inuyasha my first real anime because the dub was a lot more faithful and did not try to disguise "this is a uniquely Japanese creation, not just another cartoon." And of course IY was actually set in Japan and dealt a lot with Japanese history and mythology. So I attribute my love of all things Japanese to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s

This always overwhelms me with nostalgia of watching IY as a kid in high school.

Inuyasha really puts things in perspective. To me, having been introduced via Ranma and subsequently obsessing (OBSESSING) over it, Inuyasha was always "that new thing Takahashi is making," and for a while we didn't even know if they'd publish it in English. They did, of course, and in hindsight OF COURSE they were gonna, because the western audience was proving real and ravenous. Not long after, the manga section in bookstores started blowing up, and you could barely move around for all the teenage kids glued to the aisle.

It's still like that these days, with the teenage kids still there, but B&N wisely opened it into a big wide section. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Supremezero posted:

It may have said that at the time, but in the long run it was pretty much just the start of Ash being kind of pathetic and never winning.

I confess I may never have noticed a pattern because it was like a one-time standout Ash moment to a viewer otherwise glued to Team Rocket.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I maintain my stance that it's easy to overlook what's going on with Ash, at least in terms of story development, when the actual protagonists Team Rocket are there and frequently demonstrating something completely bonkers about themselves, their history, their abilities, or their group dynamic with practically every episode.

Pikachu is also a good character in his own right, for the same reason R2D2 is great.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'll mod. I promise to immediately go AFK, ignore everything, and only shitpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

who the gently caress has time to mod when they're busy watching anime