Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
watching Haikyu!!, it's pretty good!

There are so many MHA good boys in Haikyu!! that I assumed Hinata's VA was midoriya cause they're pretty similar sounding. I mistakenly believed this for 20 episodes.

but boy howdy a lot of these good boys went on to voice a bunch of stuff in shounen in the last 6 or 7 years together.

edit: what the gently caress midoriya and tanjiro aren't the same voice actor

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

homeless snail posted:

ah, a vtuber fan

wait i thought vtubers were anime

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Finished up haikyuu!!

Pretty good overall. It’s really sad the coaches VA died mid production. I never really got used to the new guy. Also really unfortunate timing on s4 wrt Covid. The production … suffered pretty bad.

Since the mangas done, hopefully it’ll get finished? Though considering the pacing in the anime is pretty glacial I’m not sure it’d even be done with nationals until s6.

I wonder if they’ll tackle the post nationals stuff at all? Maybe a movie or some OVAs though I’m not sure haikyuu is really relevant enough anymore for a movie. No idea how popular it is considering it’s been 6 years since s3

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Big Leg posted:

finished s1 of jojo's and joseph being voiced by gintoki is just a perfect casting choice. i hope future jojos are as cool as joseph

They are never as cool as Joseph but that’s ok they’re still cool

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Started Baki, it’s unfortunate that the newer anime starts in the middle of the manga and the old stuff isn’t streaming anywhere.

In the so bad it’s good genre, this show straddles the line so delicately that it’s almost too much. The animation and art is almost bad enough that I don’t want to watch. The amount of vignetting is kinda absurd and actually bothers me, which I’ve never experienced with an anime before.

but the characters and poo poo are so ridiculous that it doesn’t quite drive me away though I’m only 4? Episodes in.

I’m not sure it’ll ever get close to the ridiculous charm of Jojo. Not sure it’s worth watching 50 episodes or whatever to find out.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

most of it for me in JoJo is the characters. the Character designs for baki are just ... bad? like the other end of the ridiculous body proportions/anatomy spectrum from jojo, where both are ridiculous but one is kind of hideous and the other is just goofy and weird

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

surf rock posted:

I'm still working my way through The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (thank you all again for pointing me to the broadcast order; I can't imagine having watched it chronologically). While doing so, I became curious about what were the other goon consensus "best shows" of past years. I figured I could figure that out pretty easily by going through the records here. Then I went through the list and flagged the top one or two shows from each year, sometimes skipping further down the list if the very top ones didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. Here's what I came up with:

2006 Haruhi Suzumiya*
2007 Death Note* / Gurren Lagann
2008 Kaiba
2009 K-On!
2010 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood / Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
2011 Madoka Magica*
2012 Chihayafuru
2013 Attack on Titan
2014 Ping Pong
2015 Shirobako / One Punch Man*
2016 Mob Psycho 100
2017 Girls' Last Tour
2018 A Place Further Than The Universe
2019 Kaguya-sama: Love is War
2020 Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
2021 Odd Taxi

Asterisks added to shows I've watched (or am about to finish). Feels like a pretty mix of genres here. Anyway, thought I'd share this to spark nostalgic feelings of shows folks here loved and maybe forgot as time passed.

shin sekai yori was 2012 for me, 2005 isn't here but eureka seven for 2005 and I'd probably take ergo proxy over haruhi but haruhi is good too

edit:
actually looking at MAL gently caress 2006 was a packed year

2006:
Ergo proxy
d gray man
haruhi
zegapain
nana
aria
ouran host club
black lagoon
welcome to the NHK
code geass
death note
this is counting shows that first cour(s) aired in 2006

crazy packed year!

2007 is pretty wild too:
nodame cantible
seirei no moribito
gurren lagann
darker than black
dennou coil
bokurano
heroic age(did anyone else like this show?)
Mononoke! legit forgot this came out in 2007 or even that decade
baccano
sayonara zetsubo sensei
kaiji

what an amazing few years

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 4, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

not enough mid 2000s anime on this list tbh

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’m looking forward to the next season of railgun in *checks calendar* 2028?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Space battleship tiramisu is wonderfully dumb. It’s very good

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Dynazenon is pretty chill in general, but I don’t think the final act really gets going till 9

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Should I watch concrete revolution

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Space Flower posted:

i liked it. its very passionate about its love for jp history of kids' heroes in anime/manga/toku etc. and weaves it into commentary on stuff like disillusionment with government and social revolutionary movements (hence 'revolutio'). sometimes its messy about the main plot (most of the finale for me really) but there's a handful of one-off eps (or side chars that get 2-3 ep arcs scattered across the show) that are great and everyone is likeable and there's lots of layers to everyone's pasts and struggles. and its cool

Ok I’ll watch

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Watched episode 1 of concrete revolutio

Good lord the pacing on this show is wild

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

kirbysuperstar posted:

I doubt anyone is truly surprised by this turn of events

not entirely but the turn was so sudden, just bam bam bam dead

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think anyone would blame you. That thread was a shitshow.

it seemed like just the last few pages tbh, they grow up fast

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Watching zombie land saga s2 rn and I don’t care if the rest of the season bombs after episode 2 cause it’ll redeem it no matter what. The entire first and second season would be worth it for that episode alone.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Azran posted:

I recently finished watching Horimiya. The abuse gag was bizarre but other than that I really enjoyed it. It had a big cast but I liked pretty much everyone. Great OP too.

I'm now halfway through Dynazenon - I liked Gridman and I was told Dyna was't as good but I'm having a great time? The show is decidedly more funny, I feel (that loving churro scene). Yuuta and Utsumi were very meh IMO and I was always hoping Utsumi would get SOMETHING to do but here I have no criticisms, at least so far.

Personally liked dynazenon more than gridman. I liked the characters in general more and the leads especially. The radio plays that go along with it are good too (not that gridmans weren’t)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Stairmaster posted:

*in senchou marine voice* i'm horny!

What a god

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Dongicus posted:

do we know if taro has any involvement? if so there'll probably be some cool drakengard lore or w.e lol

The amount of 2b fan service scales exponentially with taros involvement

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I hope they have one for just yanking the cpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

kirbysuperstar posted:

It did, yeah. It still won't blow your socks off or anything but it's better (I thought the original combat was fine but that's me)

I agree, with the caveat that if you really disliked it you probably still will