Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Burbo posted:

Time to talk about Tubers

I like the guy who opens locks in under a minute and Scott “the woz” sometimes
I like thew! he's a dork who was doing handicam transformers reviews for almost nobody and then suddenly the algorithm shined upon him a few years back and he's gotten a pretty decent following since, including multiple people who make transformers toys and the shows themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wmuX7VutE&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

is there somewhere in SA where people post good youtubes? i like to watch youtubes while having lunch/dinner but the algorithm is really unreliable
i mostly stick to adtrw and a select few game threads so i have no idea where to look for it
if you're just looking for stuff to watch from good youtubers, here's a bunch of good channels to check out:
Mandalore Gaming - funny, well-edited, informative game reviews
Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell - my favorite youtube channel, educational gorgeously-animated shorts
Vet Ranch - vets treating animals and putting them up for adoption after
Drawfee - four artists draw stuff and do challenges
Fall of Civilizations - what it says on the tin
Let's Game It Out - hilarious videos of a guy breaking games over his knee
Selen Tatsuki - an entertaining pro gamer and DEFINITELY not a vtuber go away julias
Video Game Animation Study - does some neat videos on, well, video game animation
Kruggsmash - does hand-drawn let's plays of Dwarf Fortress, one of my Big Favorites
Kenny Lauderdale - reviews old anime and investigates insanely obscure anime
Felix Colgrave - wild-rear end hand-drawn animations with an incredibly unique style
628DirtRooster - professional beekeeper who records his adventures going and excising beehives from houses or destroying yellowjacket nests
Brian David Gilbert - an amazing video maker who has made some of the best video game skits on youtube with his Unraveled series
Chip Cheezum - my favorite LPer ever bar none, also a goon, his Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101 LPs are legendary
SNESdrunk - short, informative, well-edited reviews for a shitload of games
Noclip - professionally-made longform video game documentaries with behind-the-scenes stuff
Games Done Quick the legendary speedrunning event archives, just search for a game you want to see speedran and go
Classics of Game - weird, contextless clips from often extremely obscure video games
Simone Giertz - cool inventor lady who became a pretty big internet sensation and even appeared on Colbert once
Scishow - whole lot of usually-short videos of sciencey stuff covering a ton of topics
Joel Haver - lots of short films sometimes done in a really neat rotoscoped animation style
Inugami Korone - a channel where a dog plays video games

I hope this has helped you find things to watch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
me, making an informative list of youtube channels for the person looking for things to watch

you, the people explaining the joke

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

these posts just doubled my subbed channel count lol
please watch Double King, one of my favorite animations ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4&hd=1

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's not Reimu
it's Technically Reimu, the best kind of reimu.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

I liked the defunctland about the hideously unsafe water park that decapitated test dummies and served beer to minors and every ride and water slide gave people bloody noses and concussions and everyone who went there regards it as a rite of passage and foundational to their development as a human being
action park! My parents remember that place, it was a hellscape

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chat thread feels slower nowadays

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The vtuber posts are

in captivity. The chat thread

Is at peace...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

homeless snail posted:

itd be really hosed up if i posted one on every page, beginning from chapter 1, as i have
hell, we could all use a little mundane regularity in our lives, so I think that would be a good thing for everyone. imo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

verbal enema posted:

i just watched Fury Road for the first time and it kicked turbo rear end
shame we'll never get the sequels that were talked about counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGDp39srk0

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jrpgs just have such good-rear end music, especially snes jrpgs

this is my favorite video game track of all time, it's the music that plays as you enter the final dungeon to confront the godlike beings trying to destroy the world, and goddamn is it an insanely good save-the-world theme. it's incredibly heroic, final, and melancholy, it fits the scene perfectly, and literally the only thing that's wrong with it is that the game interrupts it whenever you get into a random battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkwHKKWpoaE

the entire ost is ridiculously good but that one and the sinistral battle are the real standouts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnYGYa6l3M

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

verbal enema posted:

???? i thought i seen something about Mad Max: The Wasteland in 2023?
wait really, oh poo poo great! I thought the entire production of the other two were scuttled years ago

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Burbo posted:

Megas XLR?
man I might've been the only person watching megas xlr when it was on the air that recognized what the final villain's robot was a bootleg of and marked the gently caress out

megas xlr was such a silly-rear end good show

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurking Haro posted:

That's ducked up.
for some reason my phone started filtering every swear word and won't remember them anymore :(

Lpzie posted:

there's no good mangas left to read.
post what you've read, I bet there's something you haven't read that is worth checking out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ok here's a bunch of quick recs

Dungeon Meshi, easily my favorite manga alongside One Piece
The Old Knight of the Border, Bard Loen
I Am a Hero
Here Comes the Demon, Iruma!
Hawkwood
Golden Kamuy
The Eminence in Shadow
Fortress of the Apocalypse
Yakuza Reincarnation
Stravaganza - The Queen in the Iron Mask
Frieren - Beyond Journey's End
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Reincarnated as a Sword(also known as "Sword Dad")
Spirit Circle
Karate Baka Isekai
Dead Dead Demon's Dedededestruction
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Kodoku Experiment

some things that don't really fit but you might enjoy anyways:
Kumika's Sense of Taste - aliens have become commonplace on earth, and this follows one who learns to love food
Yokohama Shopping Trip - an all-time classic, a post-apocalypse following an android in her everyday life in the last days of humankind
Hito Hitori Futari(One Person, As Two) - a woman dies and becomes a spirit guide for the Japanese prime minister
Inubaka - if you like dogs, you'll probably like this dog-centric slice of life/romcom
And Yet the Town Keeps Turning - slice of life comedy, can get both extremely real and extremely surreal from one chapter to the next
Blank Canvas - a mangaka's autobiography in manga form, one of the best manga I've ever read
Heterogeneous Linguistics - one of the most fascinating and creative manga I've ever read, largely focuses on learning and understanding languages and behaviors of fantasy creatures
Franken Fran - poo poo's wild, yo

I've got more if you want them, but these should keep you occupied for a long time even if you don't read half of them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ardeem posted:

Yakuza Reincarnation's a neat twist. It's about an old man who goes out on his own terms with a few second thoughts and no real regrets past the changing era. And he keeps right on living like a boss on the other side too.
and the world he reincarnated into is genuinely fascinating, to boot. The walking fortress-city-turtle-mountain full of the privileged and defended by some rad-looking golems, that location that was just a massive demonic mouth guarded by a dragon, and of course all the gangster analogues in basically every villain they've fought so far. I love it.

There was another isekai I can never remember the name of where it's set in a modern day fantasy setting. There was a huge ripped ogre who runs a vegan cafe, wood elves are buff as hell lumberjacks and construction workers who love humans because they consider them eternal children(compared to elves), and dryads are yakuza who plant yggdrasil saplings to muscle in on other people's turf, which iirc spawn treemen in sleazy yakuza goon outfits and sunglasses to defend it from being cut down. I think only a few chapters of it got translated which is a shame because it was a really neat concept for a series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sure, what's the worst that could happen?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Patware posted:

having just finished it yesterday

saihate no paladin at the top of my list for biggest (anime-based) disappointment of 2021
I had the manga on my to-read list for a long time but never got around to reading it, then I heard the anime was botched to hell so just dove in over the course of a week to the manga and really really loved it. genuinely one of the better isekai series out there, and I love how the actually "retained memories" aspect of it is handled and used in the story itself. really uniquely done compared to most isekai.

I didn't bother with the anime due to hearing it was a bad adaptation, how did they badly handle it? did they ruin specific scenes and such? and up to what point did the anime get?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

a poster in this thread thought boys could get pregnant
wait is this a different incident from the I M Gei "pregnant from oral" incident

efb

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol whoops new page

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's this?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus

Fangz posted:

How edgy is this?
edgy, not really. dark, extremely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's only 3 chapters on mangadex, are there other places with more?

I can only imagine things will truly get real when the camera gets broken

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo, chainsaw man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had it on my to-read list for a long time and didn't know anything except the main dude, pochita, and power were characters and that was it

binged it over the last two days, that was a hell of a rollercoaster ride, not perfect, and the ending felt a bit abrupt, but real wild all the same

the dynamic between aki, denji and power was fantastic throughout

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 22, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Baal posted:

watamote grew out of itself because the writer realized having tomoko grow as a person and not regressively cycle into the same shtick to justify its premise makes for a better story even if it is ultimately still a comedy
and as the recent extra chapter with the fan poll pairings given their own little shorts shows, while tomoko has significantly grown as a person in a lot of ways, she still has her total shithead goon mentality inside her, it's just not her entire gimmick anymore.

Watamote is probably my favorite character progression series, really. It's good cringe comedy for a while but the author definitely realizing they could do something more with it was apparent and I'm glad they went for it. Most of the new characters introduced are really well done in their own way, though a few have kinda been reduced to just gimmicks like emoji

DoubleDonut posted:

Every time I try to get into Watamote I get a couple dozen chapters in and give up because I really dislike that schtick
genuinely mean this: imo it's incredibly important to read the initial parts to really get a feel for how she used to be so that you can really appreciate her growth as a person, skipping the uncomfortable(or relatably cringe for some folks) stuff defeats the whole purpose imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

the manga's great, highly recommend it. hopefully the anime's good too.
I think it takes a bit to get going, but once it does, it basically never stops. It's like chapter 16 or so iirc when it really hooked me, I was pretty blase on it until then.

really, the only thing I hope they change is the panty shots, I feel like I remember there being a bunch of them when it doesn't need that, it's a fine enough series on its own without pointless fanservice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should make more dorohedoro seasons

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

can anyone recommend me the delicious and most edible deadly poisonous mushrooms?
you don't enjoy anime content creators we get it endorph

homeless snail posted:

mods are dead post vtubers
that calli and gura song that just came out is real good and the animated video they commissioned is also real good too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetXqd9B8WE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anyone recommend me good anime/manga podcasts?
The waypoint radio episodes where they go through Eva and eventually the movie + rebuilds are mostly really good, with 3 of them being either barely anime fans or not at all and go in totally blind. Mostly solid discussion, sometimes gets real in the weeds though

Since it's basically anime anyways, their lore reasons episodes for kingdom hearts are amazing too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

actually, its not funny at all. also, die.
you seem upset

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

waypoint is a gamergate site for chuds given how much harassment against transwomen theyve incited. mods?
please elaborate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ok thanks

I've only followed the podcast prior, not the site, and haven't listened to it since late 2019 outside of any Eva etc episodes. I have heard Gita sucks though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

to be clear im not saying youre a bad person if you listen to the waypoint podcast or anything, im just saying im allowed to dismissively make fun of them, imo. i think thats a fair compromise.
I'm not saying you are, but others definitely have for similar situations. I just don't immediately assume every follower of Thing also is aware of their dirty laundry. I thought with the comments of chud and such that something radical had happened recently

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Calli's best song is Peanut Butter In The Bathroom Sink

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:hai:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

If I had my way, hands would be invisible. Artists would make me a Saint.
if I'm elected president of anime, everyone will have Bomberman limbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

incorrect
what's good, dogsicle

cheetah7071 posted:

I did watch G Gundam, years ago. I was really into shows in that vein for a while there. Gurren Lagann, Gaogaigar, Kill la Kill
if you only pick a single gundam, Turn A Gundam is a pretty good pick. good setting, good style, phenomenal music(yoko kanno), great story. knowing things about gundam helps, but isn't necessary to enjoying it at all. and the original to the show mech designs are all done by Syd Mead. If you watch it, I highly recommend checking out his process of creating a "Syd Mead-styled Gundam" afterwards, it's loving fascinating how he takes the original Gundam design and reworks it bit by bit into the Turn A.