Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the remaster of soul nomad isn't great, sadly. the text is super 'clean' and everything else looks blurry as poo poo, which makes the whole thing look awful. also the switch version apparently constantly crashes lol

that game deserves way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NIS should make unlosing ranger 2 imo

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

this happened to my buddy 2a

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

its a crucial part of any brother check in

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I saw the first pokemon movie in theaters as a kid and before trailers had started an old guy in front of us turned around and interrupted us to explain what EVs were bc we didnt understand why pikachu was so strong

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

fictional place from Vinland Saga

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i just download them myself and put them in the plex folder. its pretty simple

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

kamille is the best gundam protagonist imo. love that guy

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

thank god we were protected from the vtuber menace of the john madden moonbase vid

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

𝜈tubers only from here on out

they gotta have funnels

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Clarste posted:

What about ones with no choices at all? What is the definition of a video game?

almost all visual novels use the format (art, the mechanics of how text appears on the screen, ways in which the player experiences the story) in a way that you'd be completely unable to classify as any other medium than 'video game'.

games can be lots of things. encyclopedia brown books were games. games studies stuff is really interesting

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

they're multimedia software but most of them have no gameplay so. they're not games. they're visual novels.

'gameplay' isn't really a term that means anything, is the thing. nobody can agree on what it means, which sort of makes it useless in discussions. mostly because 'play' is a much more well defined term historically, and encompasses way more than I think you'd define "gameplay" as lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

and again, there are books that are games! the encyclopedia brown books I had as a kid were all like a bunch of a mysteries, with the answers in the back. thats games

a lot of modern arguments about what gameplay and stuff is are people defining the terms strictly off modern video games, which doesn't really make sense in the larger context of what games are

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

mycophobia posted:

Contextually VNs can be referred to as games uncontroversially in ordinary situations. Only when a distinction needs to be drawn is there a question, at which point the character of such a necessity should be taken into account to arrive at an answer. On the other hand, it would be very odd to refer to a book, even an ebook, as a game pretty much anytime outside of a CYOA or something (exceptional case). It's a matter of culture and context

sounds like theyre games op

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

i object as they're the crystalization of fake gamer bait much like those auto battle games and other forms of games where you basically just click next or watch it play itself. at least something like disco Elysium has rpg mechanics to give it something more than endless conversations. which is fine I just don't consider them to be video games and rather just some kind of extra fancy comic book.

lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i wasnt too sure about the introduction of False Gamer in the new fate strange fake volume, but if narita wants to keep adding characters i believe in him

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dongicus posted:

Vns are good but too many of them are bad

Modern style games are good but less of them are bad. Simple mathematics.

they dont make vns anymore, yeah

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Colonel posted:

higurashi itself has a whole bonus scene where they discuss what makes a vn without any choices a game and bring up the idea that mystery novels themselves are a form of game because the player is challenged to engage with the act of mystery solving themself, so by extension mystery vns with or without choices count as a game

ryukishi knows whats up

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

gridman is phenomenal, its really worth it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it hit an period of overexposure, so it doesn't come up as much outside of jokes, but its still a great show

i never did end up seeing the movies

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

they should animate more baccano! asap

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theres an energy that imaishi (and trigger's primary team, presumably) brings to action scenes that you just don't get with anyone else. everyones constantly in motion and everything feels forceful and fast and its just dope. but like someone said upthread hes just a pretty bad storyteller. it sucks

like a third or half of kill la kill is really good, but its not really extricable from the poo poo that isnt, and that poo poo is dire

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Clarste posted:

What if your opponent has heart too?

comes down to who has more friends at that point

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theres really no reason to put them in opposition. theyre both extremely good

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i had no idea what it was from, so i learned something

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i watched a lot of dubs years ago but now that I watch stuff as it comes out I watch subs. video games mostly dubbed i guess, except yakuza. would be weird hearing anyone but kuroda come out of kiryu

baccano! still is best dubbed, though

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

isekai makes sense because 90% of the time its referring to a specific period style of novel, and the boom of anime based on them. im not sure people who like SAO or whatever are going around thinking that mushoku tensei invented the idea, so I've never understood the desire to point out how historical the concept is.

its like going hearing someone talking about law and order as a police procedural and going "well listen, back in the 1880s," trends in fiction tend to have broad names while theyre still occuring, and once the boom is behind us, the culture tends to assign more specific names to them. 80s action movies are a distinct genre, but were just action movies in the 80s

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't 3 episodes 25% of Madoka? I have seen anime fans rave about it for years and I thought about checking it out but then I found out it isn't even a 26 episode anime. How do you do anything of note in 12 or 13 episodes? Most anime I watch, that's the beginning arc which is always the weakest part, but here it's the beginning, middle, and end of a whole, apparently quite compelling story.

this is like asking how anybody can tell a story in a 90 minute movie

you just write a story that matches the time you have. simple as

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Supremezero posted:

I would like to introduce you to my good friend Planet With, anime of 12 episodes covering as much ground as at least double that, but still remaining good and comprehensible.

yeah planet with is an incredible 12 ep run. moves at breakneck speed but never feels messy/incoherent

i do think more shows could use second cours than get them these days though. Back Arrow from last was kinda messy, but its weird ps2 rpg energy really benefited from having the episode count to do some really weird detours

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

its an age thing, almost certainly

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

marumaru posted:

are vt*bers just LCD screens in live events

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

pentyne posted:

So the story is he was chatting with Mori for 25+ years about his plans for Berserk, and Mori is claiming that he was the only person in the world told how Miura planned to end it?

I guess go for it, but his line about refusing to write anything he can't remember Miura saying sounds like it'll be a real problem as they get going on the process especially if he refuses to guess or write what he thinks Miura would like.

otoh its an extremely heartfelt message from miuras friend and coworkers about how they're going to respect his vision for the series

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

one of the best ever

the srw version replacing the loss of the lyrics with a sax was incredible

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

JAV titles getting unbanned is the only good thing twitter has done in years

also glad the search for an adtrw mod is going well. sources have informed me the top eight posters are on their fourth round of phone interviews for the position

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

is macross best in release order or is it a pick and choose whichever ones look cool situation, ive never been clear on how theyre all connected

and now seems like a good time to check it out

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ban+30 for posting videos of gollum

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

This should be banned for being AIDS

:razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

30 minute TV procedural stuff is historically tricky to adapting to TTRPG stuff. magical girl, sentai, rider stuff all just presents the problem of either trying to create play that just replicates episode structure and being boring or doing something else and getting too far away from the cool moments you get from the shows

the madoka-alikes tended to be more serialized, which i think makes them easier to work with. but really,

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's normie. That's why