Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Douche Phoenix posted:

Which of the side scenarios are least likely to kill your investigators on a failure? Probably going to introduce the concept of them in this Carcosa campaign. Blob and Egypt are probably right out for a first run.

Excelsior Hotel is a pretty low-key affair. [Mild spoilers for potential penalties from it] I don't think there's any way to be killed or driven insane, and no trauma except for regular defeats. It might add one or two weaknesses to someone's deck.

edit: And it's arguably a good narrative fit for early Carcosa as well, though of course it still has the "why are you going off and doing something else during this crisis" problem.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

bagrada posted:

Could anyone please PM me with the info about the steam TTS mod for this game, like the one PlayingBoardGames uses in their vids? Google/reddit says its a Fight Club situation because too many people were downloading it without buying any cards.

Dunwich has some staples I need but I'm holding off for the re-release next month. My ordered set of Carcosa has been sitting in a post office a few states away for the last six days. I'd like to do some deckbuilding with their cards without proxying if I can. I'll probably be playing with a group next in person right after the Dunwich investigator set releases. Right now I've got the revised core, a few of the investigator starters, and EOTE.

There's a Discord for it, shouldn't be hard to find an invite link with google once you know that. edit: It's even in the OP of this thread. FFG's attitude to the mod is highly understandable but I feel most players would have been more accepting of it if they hadn't done their crackdown during a global pandemic lockdown.

But yeah, the TTS mod isn't what you want for deckbuilding at all. Either use https://arkhamdb.com/ or check out the ArkhamCards app.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 24, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Looks like Gamezenter are reprinting the novel cards too. Announced just late enough for people to miss out on combined shipping with the parallels.

https://shop.gamezenter.com/collections/arkham-horror-lcg/products/arkham-horror-lcg-out-of-the-void-investigator-pack

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new campaign, either TFA or TCU or Dream Eaters. Is there is any vague character advice someone can give about these campaigns? For example, if someone where going into Dunwich blind, I would tell them "bring at least one character with high willpower" and "don't bring Patrice Hathaway".

TFA: Have someone who can manage enemies without killing them, including non-humanoids. Archaeologist characters will be a good theme match. Pick characters with the expectation that they will get trauma.

TCU: Nothing super specific that I can think of? Silver Twilight characters will tie into the story somewhat, but aren't required.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

It's possible to finish a campaign with the same deck you started with

Or with the 0xp deck you had to build for scenario 8 after you died in scenario 7.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They've been giving Jim a lot more tools lately as well. Nkosi Mabati and Curse of Aeons are both able to substantially increase the number of skull tokens you see in a scenario.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Xlorp posted:

Any instances of Return to Forgotten Age that should be rolled into our first run of TFA?

I'm planning on using the original, trauma-tastic supplies rules.
There's an explore mechanic fix that might as well be official errata.
Ancient Evils alternative?
Any pure BS scenario antics that are so un-fun as to be spoiled and avoided?

Note that Return to's changes to exploration aren't the same in every scenario, so make sure you're using the right ones each time.

No Ancient Evils alternative in Return to, so you'll need to suck it up or use another campaign's.

"Return to Heart of the Elders, Part 1" has an additional option in the resolutions that you may want to back-port, as some people really dislike the way that scenario works in vanilla. No need to read anything before you finish the scenario.

Otherwise I think you're fine; there are absolutely pure BS scenario antics, but they're mostly fun. If you really want to know what to be emotionally prepared for you might want to read these, though I'd personally consider them unnecessary information? I've tried to avoid specifics:

Above about 20 Yig's Fury your chances of making it to the end of the campaign go way down. If you're in the teens after a couple of scenarios things are looking bad for the long term.

This is one of those campaigns where blind choices early on will lock you out of certain endings. You've mostly got to be okay with that unless you're willing to be spoiled on exactly what options to pick to get what story paths.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Douche Phoenix posted:

Am I right in thinking he can have 10 allies max in play. As long as 4 of them are sled dogs? Good Lord that's a lot of soak.

Getting 16 sled dogs in play is very achievable. More non-Sled Dog allies beyond that are possible but trickier.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

Would love to see the math you two are working with. Also you can only have 4 sled dogs in a deck.

It's a four player game, each player can bring their own four dogs to contribute to the effort. Four base ally slots, plus two from Rod of Animalism, plus two from copies of Charisma; two dogs per slot.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ripley posted:

Someone on discord pointed out that his arch-nemesis would be the Stubborn Detective.

Truly the anti-Lola.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Technically your investigator card is a card you control, so it counts toward the number of different classes you control for effects that care about that. e.g. Call for Backup would do the Guardian effect even if she has no Guardian assets in play.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Not a strategy I'd considered before, but I like it. Requires less setup than Stubborn Detective Lola, with the minor downsides of not having stats and not being able to discover clues. Added bonus, you can no longer be defeated by damage or horror!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They mean true solo, one person playing one investigator. Of course they can just be wrong; nothing to stop a deck creator saying "there's an investigate card and a fight card in there, might as well give it the solo tag".

But also solo in this game is extremely hard and inconsistent; even the best solo decks are going to be really challenging to pilot and very vulnerable to just getting the wrong cards at the wrong times.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Wait wait wait, you keep all the baggage and leveling up and stuff between campaigns? I thought you reset when you started a new campaign. (Sorry, new to the game.)

There is a set of optional rules for carrying over investigators between campaigns, but most people don't use them.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Also Tommy does not get money when this card is shuffled back in his deck.Forced triggers before his reaction.

The Forced ability does trigger before his reaction, but that ability doesn't actually shuffle the card into the deck at that time - it just changes how the card is going to discard. Then Tommy's ability triggers and shuffles the card in before the card gets to the point where it would normally discard.

Compare Guardian Spirit, which doesn't work with Tommy because the Forced ability exiles the card immediately.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Unless this also works to blank treacheries that don't go in play but just do a test to do damage or deal horror. I mean there is a window once the test has started. But then thevtest has already started. Anyone know how this works exactly? If this can blank the test consequences of 4 treacheries like that it is actually an amazing card.

Regardless of whether or not you can target a treachery during its revelation, doing so wouldn't prevent test consequences as they're part of an ability that has already started to resolve. The ability in progress still resolves, even if the card changes or leaves play, so all Orphic could potentially do is disable peril, surge and similar.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Anyway, I recently tried out 'Fool me once...' during Circle Undone and it was much better than I thought it'd be. It completely neuters Daemonic Piping, along with a bunch of other cards that require you to draw multiple of them to hurt you. I recommend it if you're ever going to run TCU with guardian access. It absolutely saved my rear end in the final scenario.

Note that you can only play "Fool me once..." when you would discard a treachery. If you're playing it for Daemonic Piping then the Piper is already in play. Same with any other cards that stay in play waiting for more copies to be drawn.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If you're playing without taboo I'd say it's easily worth taking In the Thick of It to start with upgraded Higher Education; it'll make a huge difference to your ability to pass willpower tests in the first scenario, could easily be life and death.

Definitely add Lucky Cigarette Case from Wini's starter, it's honestly better than like half the cards in the deck. Personally I'd probably drop Lockpicks or Pickpocketing for it, I don't think either of them are great value at level 0.

While one clue per action is usually enough in practice, upgraded Deduction and Eon Chart would help him a lot; I'd prioritise them over most of the other upgrades that aren't Pathfinder and maybe Gene? Though Eon Chart clashing with Cigarette Case isn't ideal.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

• I'm curious about the suggestion to drop Leo De Luca. That would make the deck easier (ally is spot is tight), and the deck seems to have a lot of action compression already, but I've heard non-stop about the incredible value of the Louisiana Lion, so it seemed silly not to take him.

Leo is very good, but he's also very expensive for what he does in a very contested slot? I think personally I'd keep him in at level 0 in an Underworld Support deck just to increase your chances of getting a strong setup ally sooner, but I'd expect to replace him with a levelled ally rather than running both.

Well, no, actually I'd run Kirby instead of him. But that would require finding another Seeker 0 slot somewhere.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kalko posted:

I wonder if this set will have a 5XP Guardian weapon.

There's already Runic Axe, so a second 5xp Guardian weapon seems unlikely.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Give this card to Lola so that she shoves ten greens in there and frees the rest of her deck from one mandated colour.

Doesn't work, she can't trigger the ability that creates the market deck.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Sorry, but it really is that bad. There's a reason [Circle Undone] accepting your fate is thought of as the "add two weaknesses to your deck" option.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

So I kind of just got handed 8 fucktillion cards. Loving the game, but due to how I got the cards I'm kind of scrambling to figure some stuff out.

1). How can I figure out what expansions I have?

Looking at the investigator characters and comparing them to this list is probably the best place to start with that? That list is sorted by set, and lists the set each card comes from at the bottom of its text box. Chances are very good it will match with the stack of rulebooks, but who knows, random cards might have been lost.

Overall that site, ArkhamDB, will be very useful; it has lots of community decklists you can check out for ideas on how to build, and most player cards have FAQs and a bunch of strategy comments for them.

Xiahou Dun posted:

2) I've only played two scenarios with the boring rear end Thumbface McTrenchcoat guy they suggest in the core book, but very soon I'm gonna get sick of monkeying with his deck and want to start from scratch. I think I can figure out some strategies pretty easy, but I don't really know where to start. I even want to explore, but I'm not sure if there are some that are better to start with or if it's truly wide open. Any I should avoid at least? Is there a difficulty curve between the different classes?

No particular difficulty differences between classes. If you're looking for easy ones to build to start with, generally anyone with 5 intellect or 5 combat will be pretty straightforward - at least in multiplayer.

The game is hard fully solo, though, so if you can play multiplayer or even just run two characters at once that will be a much more manageable introduction.

Xiahou Dun posted:

• I have a Silas Marsh card? Like, the dude from Innsmouth? Except the art is very clearly of Aquaman. Like, this is just New England Jason Mamoa. And this card was set aside in its own special distinct sleeve in its own little cubby hole? I'm assuming this is not a normal part of the game and my friends are just weird?

That's a promo version of Silas that came with a novel, along with some "replacement" signature cards for him. The investigator card is just the regular one with unique art, but the replacement signatures, "Nautical Prowess" and "Dreams of the Deep" are actually different cards. The book would have come with a little rules sheet explaining how to use the replacement cards, but that's the sort of thing that could easily be lost.

Xiahou Dun posted:

3) Am I misreading some of these cards or did the designers do a bad job and allow full recursion to be a mechanic? Things like Stick to the Plan and Ever Vigilant (might be loving up that name) allow you to root through your deck and pull out other cards like a reserve hand, but Ever Vigilant is a Tactic, which is the kind of thing you can get with Stick to the Plan.

So basically yes, you're misunderstanding those cards - which is very natural, because the game's rules are super complicated! For example, Stick to the Plan is a "Permanent" card that never goes in your deck at all, it just gives you a one-off ability when the game starts to set up a reserve hand. There are a lot of keywords like that explained in the rules reference, and it's easy to get very confused ideas about what cards do if you don't look those up when you see them - especially if you're being overwhelmed with many sets all at once.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 12, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

My question is how do you use (and organize) the asset / skill etc. cards from each cycle and specifically the later scenarios? Can you just lump everything in one campaign / cycle (are these terms analagous?) into one big "asset deck" to choose and use or do you "unlock" the later cards in later scenarios?

To answer this more explicitly (though the other answers mostly implied this already):

When deckbuilding you can use any investigators and any cards with a level (0-5), regardless of what product they came from, as long as you can pay their experience cost. You'll also include all "Basic Weakness" cards from all products when picking one at random.
If a player card doesn't have a level or a weakness isn't "Basic", it's not available for deckbuilding and you can only use it when you're told to. That includes investigator signature cards, but also some player cards that you'll get as part of the story.

It's surprisingly common to see new players saying "wow, the new player card in this Rogarou standalone is really strong, I'll include it in my deck".

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

I feel like Gamezenter will offer this at some point.

I wouldn't count on it; FFG terminated their partnership a week or so ago. No more print runs of the existing stuff either.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Well-funded is the only clunker. Only people who care about the fortune trait would want that over the more reliable unexpected courage, and in seeker, there are a lot of better cards that are also practiced.

I'm sure it's mostly for Kate, since she has it permanently at 2 wilds and will often hit 3 wilds, without UC's commit limit. Otherwise yeah, tricky to activate.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

People are speculating that these investigators might be 0-3 in their own class and 0-3 in another (and basically their colour is just whichever fits more thematically), based on what other than pure supposition, I'm not entirely sure really.

I was definitely thinking that Guardian 3/Survivor 3 would make sense for Wilson. The idea of Kate having anything less than Seeker 5 (or at least Science 5) seems absurd, though, so it's hard to imagine them all being that?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nephthys posted:

The Myconid doesn't appeal to me. I don't like spending actions to set up Mythos protection especially when you have to do it over and over again.

Playing the upgraded Myconid is the only action cost and it's a one-off. Adding Growth to your hand is free, and playing Growth is still a regular investigate action so you get clues from it as usual.

You are paying a resource each time you play Growth, but if we see more things like Lab Coat that care about "skill tests on Seeker cards" it might be worth it?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Thinking about it, the Myconid is going to be helpful if you're doing gimmick 'command center' Seeker builds where you just camp on a low shroud location and do remote investigates with In The Know/Pocket Telescope etc. Toss up a Barricade, occasionally do a pointless Investigate on your current location to build up Growth, and cancel every treachery that comes your way with the Myconid.

The myconid empties itself when it cancels, so you need to play growth at least once per cancel.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

kaffo posted:

That second card is oddly phrased as most cards quote the effect against all enemies, then quote the exception to elite enemies. This one does the opposite. Have other cards done this? While I don't think it does, since there are only elite and non elite enemies, does this have any mechanical effect quoting this way around?

This phrasing is pretty normal; compare Spectral Razor, for example.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I think Fake Credentials is just one of those cards that exists for the sake of a new character (with 4 intellect and a free parley action every turn). If an old character might possibly run it as well in some circumstance that's bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
To be clear the effect is supposedly that you exhaust it to do an additional fast attack, not to modify the normal one. So you can attack with it three times and if none of those succeed by 2 you can exhaust it to do one extra 1-damage attack.

So if you can pass all tests it's a 4-5 damage/turn ammoless weapon, not amazing but not out of curve for level 0.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 14, 2024