Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

bagrada posted:

I read the OP a while ago and thought I would have made note of mention of the TTS mod, I should have looked again before posting. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out ArkhamCards. I've used the *db.com sites to skim prebuilt decks but haven't tried registering and using their deckbuilding tools yet.

The deck building tools are game changing due to ease of use. Physically going through all of my cards is a burden when they are split between 6 binders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

You don't have to beat curtain call. The best ending is getting all the vp and being defeated. Makes the next scenario much easier so you can get more vp.

You can fail forward most scenarios and do fine so long as you keep getting vp.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nebrilos posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new campaign, either TFA or TCU or Dream Eaters. Is there is any vague character advice someone can give about these campaigns? For example, if someone where going into Dunwich blind, I would tell them "bring at least one character with high willpower" and "don't bring Patrice Hathaway".

In TCU, without the return to set, will is the most important stat by a whole lot and agility is kinda useless vs treacheries. Playing a mystic feels heavily rewarded and rogues kinda suck.

Last time we played it without the return to set I warned everyone ahead of time and the one guy who didn't listen complained the entire campaign, it really ruined the experience.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I found that it helps if you always use https://arkhamdb.com/card/02129 as the security office. It gives characters who aren't good at getting clues something to do with their actions while not fighting the singular enemy.

Knowing the exhibits ahead of time is a huge deal since so many of them are traps.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Of the half dozen highly rated custom campaigns our group played Dark Matter was the best. I'd rate it higher than some of the official campaigns.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My group didn't like Alice in Wonderland. Some of the scenarios just didn't work well and it pretended to have interesting choices but by the end of the campaign it becomes clear that one of the types of decisions you can take is extremely bad. Tweedledum and Tweedledee was a particularly boring scenario. I'll never play any of it again and I've played each of the official campaigns at least three times, some significantly more.

Dark Matter is by far the best custom content we've tried.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

I thought that there’s at least a gradient of choice making, but personally I hate the tea party and it used to be worse.

I agree that tea party is terrible but most of the custom scenario designs are over engineered bullshit that are either miserable to interact with or are a fiddly waste of time that don't end up mattering.

The gradient of choice is whether you want a couple of xp at the cost of a bunch of additional weaknesses and a much harder final scenario. The trade off isn't remotely worth it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I was thinking of seeing if Arkham Horror was for me. I still have the Super Complete TTS mod from before it was taken down. How far is that going to get me, and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

It is pretty rules dense your first couple of playthroughs. I'd play with someone who knows what they are doing while first learning the game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nebrilos posted:

I'd share the arkhamdb links, but I don't know how to do so without publishing

Click the dropdown in the upper right corner, press edit account, and check the box for "Make your decks public"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nebrilos posted:

It is public, though. Does the link work? I think it doesn't.

If it is set to public you can share the view page (not editing), like this, without publishing: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1811351

edit: Didn't see your edit. The link you posted works.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I’ve got an in person group kicking off AH soon. I’m not interested in changing packs so am planning on mostly sticking to the Investigator/Campaign box releases. For us, what value is there in the Return to X boxes? Same as everybody else? The “big box to hold cards” seems irrelevant.

I would never play Forgotten Ages without Return to. The jump in quality took it from my most hated campaign to one of my favorites.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

If there's one thing I've learned since running various simulations for this game it's that unlikely things, like two autofails in a row, are actually quite likely to occur over the course of a game, or a campaign. But the game (and life) wouldn't be nearly as exciting if that weren't the case!

It isn't a scenario of Arkham Horror if someone doesn't draw two autofails in a row on a check that needs to succeed this turn or we are all screwed.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The 5 stand alone investigators are all really fun and come with good cards, especially if you have a limited selection

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Yes, but not in the way you are thinking.

She's a neutral card. You should discard her because she's the worst investigator in the game, by far, due to her weakness.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm excited to try the new neutral investigator. He looks significantly more playable. Has anyone tried him out on TTS?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Ooooh. That's fascinating.

Another query: I've seen the buying guides, et cetera. But we're going to be limiting ourselves to the new published Investigator|Campaign boxes. So we'll be going straight from Dunwich to Edge of the Earth, skipping Carcosa through Innsmouth. Our card pool will likely reflect that. Any weird deckbuilding problems we might run into?

The two big boxes plus the 5 stand alone investigators should be fine at tackling things on normal difficulty.

Playing a mystic without Jackie would be rough though, she doubles the number of attack and investigate spells you'd have available.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

If you are playing with a 5 agility rogue I'd replace the evasion spell with Shriveling

You'd be able to drop the familiar spirit and just have one fight spell and one investigate spell out at all times.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

My thought with Arcane Studies was that while it isn't great, Arcane Studies (4) is either +2 Book 1/turn when I'm investigating, or +2 Brain for spells and mythos when I'm not investigating.

Unless you are using down the rabbit hole you can use a more useful card for now and upgrade it to Arcane Studies (4) later. You don't need the level 0 version.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Took the thread's advice (thank you), this is where my Jacqueline Fine deck for my first real campaign is:

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2192185

Still no Ward of Protection or Delve Too Deep, but there are too many good cards to put them all in, I think.

(Card pool is RCore/Dunwich/Starters.)

I'd replace hypnotic gaze with ward of protection. Gaze is really expensive for what it does, which tends to be less than what a ward can get done.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

nomadotto posted:

If you're gonna get a deck tech, I'll follow suit. I have a Winnie deck here https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2188741 with the same card pool that will be played alongside the Jackie deck. The theory is to act as a pinch hitter on whatever needs doing, relying on Winnie's ability and opportunist to keep the cards rolling.

Anything you think is with including in your deck is almost always worth including two of for consistency.

You definitely need double lock picks and double guns to make it easier to discard either when they are empty (cards aren't discarded automatically but playing a hand asset when your hands are full will duscard empty guns for your next shuffle).

Winnie needs some way to heal or soak sanity, she draws cards fast and can end up going insane as a result. Lonnie or booze can help with this.

Skip guts. You won't be passing any will checks.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

resting bort face posted:

When folks on arkhamdb.com say a deck is good for "solo," do they mean literally one investigator or do they mean "one person playing two-, three-, or four-handed?"

Because I took several hours today to try https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/37358/akachi-ony-elemental-mage-beginner-deck-guide-series-1.0 and ate poo poo over and over and over again on the first two scenarios of Carcosa. The best run I could manage was 9 xp and 2 physical trauma.

A friend of mine tried that deck in a two player 19xp standalone scenario and I'll be honest, I don't see how it is supposed to work. Akachi doesn't really have enough fight to make the dragon pole work reliably and the set up took so long that my lovely Lola deck did most of the investigating and fighting.

Edit: 9xp and 2 trauma isn't the worst result for Carcosa. Ideally you get all of the xp in the first scenario without advancing far enough along to add negative tokens to the bag and then get killed while the boss is dead. Doing so makes the second scenario significantly easier, which let's you pick up enough xp to get ahead of the curve and start steamrolling the campaign. The more xp you get early the easier it'll be to get all the xp in the future scenarios. Trauma isn't a huge deal.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 18, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

postmodifier posted:

Highly recommend this, especially for Dream Eaters if you play Zoey on the Dream Quest side of things, there are like two dozen opportunities for her to just mulch an entire room of mob spawns from a room away

She's fantastic at mitigating the swarm mechanic, as well, which shows up very often

Most of the swarms are on the waking side. I think she'd do better staying awake in the hospital instead of doing the dream quest.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zoey gets a free use of dynamite every time a swarm shows up. It is amazing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My early Roland tech was to bring Art Students and Laboratory Assistants to act as ablative horror soak while also providing value when played. They really help him survive the mythos phase.

At one point I was even running Calling in Favors from Carcosa to help Roland meet more ladies.

On normal difficulty you don't need the bonus fight from beat cops and the card draw/clues/cheaper horror soak ends up being really great

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

It is easier to find and play with Short Supply.

Shuffling back in if you have an easy way to discard it later is also good if you have awful weaknesses or otherwise don't always want to go through your deck as fast as possible.

The armor trait lets you play it for free with Bruiser. All of the triple class resource cards are great, additional support for them is welcome.

I really like the card. It isn't for every deck but at this point in Arkham's life we don't need generically good cards anymore.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Fire Axe, Improvised Shield, Backpack/Fine Clothes, Short Supply, and Bruiser all go really well together. You can also play a backpack while wearing a backpack to drop its contents into your discard pile, something I've done with Scavenging (2) builds to save actions.

If I'm making a monster slaying survivor armed with a fire axe the hand slot isn't a big deal.

Fine Clothes are underrated. Parlays come up a lot and Fine Clothes completely trivialize those checks.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Maybe Rita? She already really likes breaking and entering and pilfer. Especially Pilfer 3.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Newbie question: when I played Night of the Zealot, I took a Basic Weakness, shuffled it into my Roland deck (without looking), and dove in. But I'm sleeving my collection and just saw Indebted, which is a Permanent. When building a deck, when do you look at your Basic Weakness? As soon as you choose it, before you begin?

Yes. Most people I know even go so far as to draw three weaknesses, set one aside, and then pick one of the other two at random.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd use Lonnie Ritter. Jenny's fight isn't good enough and she has the money to turn the mechanic into nearly infinite soak.

Edit: seconding that Leo is a trap unless you are already great at fighting or clueing. He's a card for someone like Tony or Trish.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 28, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Interesting. Maybe the beretta is a stronger pick, then?

I think the berreta is better but it is campaign and investigator dependent.

High agility rogues can just evade if they don't succeed by enough to ready it. It might not be the ideal weapon for Jenny in a three player game though (it would work fine for two players), I think the typewriter could be worth trying.

I'd focus on increasing your stats if you use it. Spending extra actions is a huge cost if you are the primary/only one dealing with enemies. Fighters have a lot of spare actions before enemies show up but that changes when you encounter an elite or the team is unlucky and everyone draws a monster.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I think the runic axe is fine at 0xp if you are using the taboo list and machete isn't available.

The upgrades need to be across all copies of the card. How would you differentiate which one you upgraded otherwise?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The guy I usually play Arkham with has pointed out Power Word's synergy with Handcuffs. He's previously played a Roland deck that would move around with a pet ghoul enabling on-demand scene of the crime / interrogation and some of Power Word's upgrades would work really well with that archetype.

edit:

LifeLynx posted:

My theory on the customize rule is that you can only spend XP on them that fits your deckbuilding restrictions. So the average investigator with Class 0-5 could spend up to 5 XP on a card, but Daisy Walker could only buy 2 XP worth of upgrades on a Mystic card.

It should be double your xp limit, if limited at all, since you are hopefully upgrading two cards at once and it is honestly kinda over-costed otherwise and a pair of 5 xp cards takes 10 xp to include in your deck if you want consistency.

Script Weaver costing 4/5 possible xp would make it trash.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 30, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Nephthys posted:

They're still clearly being lined up for the fighter position so maybe we'll still get a permanent Sharpshooter or a gun that uses Agility. They need something to be able to deal with Elite enemies and with 3, 2, 2 in their other stats they're not doing anything other than Evading at the moment. Upgraded Stealth is going to be really strong with this ability though.

Backstab and Sneak Attack already exist and their innate ability lets them save those cards for elites. I think they look like they'll be really fun to play, especially with Stealth (3).

Permanent Sharpshooter ala On Your Own would be amazing.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

You might put Servitor in your deck and not use it at level zero, or use it to replace an ally or object that has doom on it. With wings of night, it becomes the Mystic version of Pathfinder.

I'm very excited to play Father Mateo with both of the customizable mystic cards.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I picked up the reboxed Carcosa cycle today, anything I should know before I start or am I good to just dive in with general all-purpose decks? I’ll be playing solo but two-handed, haven’t decided what classes yet.

Peter Sylvester is your best friend.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Winnie in Dunwich sounds absolutely awful. Many condolences.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

nomadotto posted:

She doesn't seem so bad so far (other than me being silly and forgetting the skull token in the bag). Lockpicks are good for high shroud locations, the guns are fine, and I've been able to keep the cards rolling without too much trouble. Is there something I'm missing? (No spoilers please)

Winnie's strength is her ability to cycle through her deck multiple times per scenario. Any time you get a certain mythos card she will either die in a few rounds or be severely handicapped.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lowering the difficulty of a test is more valuable than a +1 bonus if you can find a way to get the difficulty down to zero (flashlights and stealth come to mind).

I've played some decks that wanted to be as thin as possible to reuse a few really powerful cards over and over again. Since this doesn't take an asset slot it would help reach the state where pre-taboo Mandy can pick up all clues at multiple locations each round, regardless of player count or shroud value.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

So Spring-Loaded actually undermines any abilities that want you to succeed by X or more, right?

Most survivors don't need to succeed by X.

Not having to exhaust the tool until you actually need it is really powerful. On hard difficulty some of the bad tokens are so awful on a failure that you can't risk them even if you have okish odds.

This turns into a once per round lucky so you can repeat iffy checks with a safety net.

Edit: It looks better than ice pick for non-scavenging builds to me. You get a bigger bonus once it is upgraded and you can use it on a wider range of tests.

Scavenger + Ice Pick 3 is extremely fun and good though. Not sure if there'll be any combo pieces for this new card to let it shine as bright as the pick with Minh.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I think it would trigger while drawing your opening hand, giving you an even more powerful mulligan.