Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Just watched "Eve of the Daleks" and I really enjoyed it. It's been forever that I've found a Dalek remotely intimidating (maybe because they overplay it so much?), but with it's super aggression and (and that awesome gatling laser, it works so well) - I found myself creeping towards the edge of my seat! What a great episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I unapologetically love the Sixth Doctor's outfit.

I don't think I've seen all that many episodes of the Sixth Doctor, so I'm not sure if he actually wore it or not... but he had that striking deep blue coat which I thought looked great. I hated that technicolour coat, Tom Baker was borderline (but eccentric and genuinely lovable enough that it became iconic) but it's like they took the thought way too far... Way, way too far!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Unfortunately this was never real. It was created for Real Time, an animated/audio webcast serial from the early 2000s. While it’s a popular look (there’s a couple of action figures in it), Baker never wore it in the show.

drat, I really like it too.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I think out of Jodi's run I've found "The Tsuranga Conundrum" the worst just because I found it the most boring with no real villain other than a adipose like alien that eats everything. I need a good villain whether they're super scheming (Army of Ghosts or Day of the Moon) or just as much a victim of circumstance (Deep Breath or Girl in the Fireplace).

Jesus Christ, The Eleventh Hour was over a decade ago... Gettin old...

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

As long as there are no more farting aliens.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

wish i hadn't seen that because whoever the next real doctor is, it will not be remotely as exciting as that

edit: im sure yall seen this before but new to me and weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVx0u9Cw4

This will probably have more raw passion and love for dr who (and respect for the pre-established lore) than the legend of the sea devils.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Well that was hard to sit through.

It's hard to believe this bad run of Doctor Who stretches back to 2018. I do feel bad that Jodie Whittaker never got the chance she deserved, but the show has become a chore to watch. Chibnall, you loving disaster.

There's no chance on gods green earth the 60th anniversary is going to be near the level of the 50th anniversary...

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I still would like to see Ioan Gruffudd as the Doctor - just needs to go through a couple of divorces and a drinking problem to make him suitably more gruff (pun not intended).

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

When Dan and Di spoke over the phone was the only time I felt any emotion in that episode. I hope they get together. Everyone else, well who gives a poo poo about their exposition.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"Another Scott, wahey!"

God bless Sylvester McCoy :3:

Edit: Ncuti was right about being terrible at secrets, he's already released the new theme song:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1524080164971364358

drat I hope that's 14's outfit!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

*alien farts, winks at the camera*

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Maybe they’re brining back Class for Disney :tinfoil:

Hmm, I just finished watching an episode of Boba Fett and they had what looked like the Nuetrinos from the 80s TMNT cartoon racing around so, yeah, not high hopes if they go that path!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Was trying to recall the broad story of "The Flux" but can't remember how it went, all I can remember is skeletor and his sister, the dog, and the old guy who built some tunnels... Can't even remember what the Flux was - where it came from, what it was doing, where it went...

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

A lot of that video is cribbed from the incredibly excellent DWM feature on Season 27 and beyond called 'What If?" and "27-Up", which can be read here

That dalek in the top left is what they should have gone for in the new series. None of this awkward flying around of the full body, just detach the top from the bottom and off it goes. Then again, they did that idea with the flying cybermen heads so maybe not.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Someone in this thread pointed out early how reliant they were on the doctor pulling a face followed by an exposition dump to move things along and that was the moment that broke me. It happens all the goddamn time.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I'd stop wasting your time. Go back and do Capaldi's last season, which is one of the strongest of the revival

Missy was so good, such a missed opportunity with Whittaker.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

It's 90 minutes long right? God help us given how quickly Legend of the Sea Devils wore out its welcome.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Going to watch the special to firstly to see Ace smack a Dalek in the face with her signature baseball bat and secondly the regeneration scene. Hopefully Dan has some good moments too. Best I can wish for!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Jo Martin has such a strong presence anytime she walks into a room. She's fantastic, so little screen time but I'm completely sold she's "The Doctor", moreso than I am on Whitaker.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Someone on Twitter said "imagine if she regenerated into McGann at the end of the episode". Would have been amazing, and now I'm all bitter. Shouldn't read Twitter I guess.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's friendship.

Not Dan's, he was out of there in the first five loving seconds.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

happyhippy posted:

US Doctor Who will have a sonic shotgun.
Tardis changed from a phone box to a winnebago

They'll fit guns to the outside of the Tardis - "I used to hate guns, but its the only way to protect spacetime freedom"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

With the immature crap that RTD gave us the first time around, I'm not sure a filter isn't a bad thing.

I take the good with the bad with Who (my favorite is Capaldi and boy some of the moral messages in his run were awful!) but one look at RTD's campy mess of concrete blowjobs and farting aliens and I'm not going to say "oh no, Disney is going to ruin it."

As a staunch ELO fan, seeing a good, heavy dose of ELO music splashed throughout a Doctor Who episode... Yeah, it's going to take more than a concrete BJ to ruin that for me!

People who don't like Love & Monsters don't like ELO enough IMHO :colbert: