Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish is bringing back the "Doctor Who- Unbound" series. However it looks like the BBC's edict of not allowing them to cast new actors as the Doctor still stands, so they're taking a different approach to this ...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-of-war-rewrites-history

Introducing Colin Baker as ... THE WAR DOCTOR.

gently caress - you know what, I'm actually down for this. I can see C.Bakes doing an amazing job on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

WELL

WELL

WELLLL

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

Mid 90s Gabriel byrne as the doctor

gently caress yes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

(post more Barry, you big brains)

Ha, my brains ain't that big, trust me

I would post more but I quit watching the show after the first Chibbers season, and fell hopelessly behind on BF (and also was already getting kinda sick of how formulaic and, well, liberal they tend to be)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like Murray Gooooold is back in the musical driving seat

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It has been (credibly) rumoured that Moff's coming back to write some episodes for RTD's/Gatwa's first season

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I understand why they see it as a clean break to leave with the showrunner, but I do regret we didn't get a year of Tennant under Moffat (but then again, we got close to a perfect season 5 as a result, with the only mar on it being.... hmmm.... Chris Chibnall......) and we won't get a year of Whittaker under RTD.

I do see what you're saying but I wouldn't trade Matt Smith's season 5 for anything

Anything

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly I'd stop wasting your time. Go back and do Capaldi's last season, which is one of the strongest of the revival

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It just kinda isn't? That's the only way I can put it.

It's a lot less bombastic and has a more thoughtful tone overall - it almost feels like a bit of a soft reboot. It's not all great (some of it not even good - that's Doctor Who for ya!) but it has some really, really good stuff. Twelve is at his most compassionate and sympathetic. Bill (new companion) is one of my absolute favourites of the whole revival era, she's extremely likeable.

It's just really good. Don't be put off by your imaginary version of what it is, d'you know what I mean?

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 10, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Extremis is fine if you replace the two parter afterwards by just imagining that the Doctor used what he learned to kick those weird aliens' asses off his planet in seconds and that was an end to it.

Yeah, absolutely. That first episode is really good, and does a pretty good job at existential horror, which is one of the horrors Who doesn't visit all that often

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It's because Chibnall doesn't believe in anything. Even his most ambitious episodes don't push the characters or have interesting conclusions because his ideal world is the status quo.

Dang I never thought of it like that but you're right

Chibnall is the Keir Starmer of DW Showrunners lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Creature posted:

Is it just me or is there much less hype around the new episode than for the previous specials? I had to double check tv listings yesterday to make sure it’s this weekend, because I’ve barely seen anything about it.

Think everyone's distracted with the country collapsing atm

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

One thing I'll say for Russell The Davis is that he loving hates tories, and it's going to be really interesting to see the contrast between 2005 RTD Who - which was made in a cultural and political context that is very different to where we are now - and 2022 RTD Who.

I'd really love to see a bit of that 80s Who spirit back. One of the reasons I quit Chibnall's Who is that, for all its good decisions and good intentions, it nevertheless often managed to come across as anodyne and trite. I don't need Doctor Who to be the Full On Marxist Power Hour - at the end of the day, it's obviously entertainment first - but RTD has always had fire, seems to have more of it at the moment, and I'm hoping that comes through in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OldMemes posted:

I'm hoping the Time Lords get restored at some point, even if its only an off world group who have to recolonise Gallifrey. The Master killing them all offscreen felt like it really underminded Moffat's work, and closes down a lot of story opportunities.

It was also astoundingly unoriginal