Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The trouble with that whole calendar thing is that they stole the image online without contacting the original artist.

Which is pretty lovely, and depending on how widespread the calendar was released could get them in trouble were the artist particularly litigious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Forktoss posted:

Isn't there like just one time in his whole run where the Fifth Doctor uses the TARDIS alone without any of his companions, and even that's off-screen between two scenes of the same story? And that's where they had to cram Time Crash and any other companionless appearances, so there's like a couple years' worth of solo adventures taking place between scenes. The moment he gets the smallest chance of spending some time alone away from his rotten kids he absolutely makes the most of it.

BF set the solo-Davison ‘Excelis Dawns’ during Frontios - IIRC there’s a moment at the end where the Doctor has to fix the TARDIS and dematerialises and rematerialises so I assume that’s when they chose?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

So the new Blu-Ray release has been announced - we’re getting Season 22!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I really hope RTD can convince every living actor who ever guessed on DW to come back for a cameo.

Is Sgt Benton still alive?

I was just watching the blu-ray feature about a weekend with John Levene, and it’s fascinating how important he feels Benton was, and that he’s slightly aggrieved that they’d not called him to appear in the series!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Well that was a good enough ‘obligatory returning old monster’ story - what’s coming next week?

I think this was more frustrating because it’s all we’ve had since New Year, and all we’re going to get until October. Had this been episode 6 of a regular season, then I’d have enjoyed it a lot more.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

It'd be odd if they didn't have a line or two keeping Big Finish's Tegan and Ace stuff canon, when the most recent Blu-Ray ad went out of its way to explicitly make Big Finish's Peri storylines TV canon.

Didn’t Sophie Aldred write a novel about Ace meeting the Thirteenth Doctor?

I’m curious if they’d make any effort to tie that in, or ignore it entirely.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

SecretOfSteel posted:

There's no chance on gods green earth the 60th anniversary is going to be near the level of the 50th anniversary...

At least Chibnall’s not going to be involved in the 60th!

To be honest, given the Tennant rumours, I wonder whether Jodie is going to regenerate (degenerate?) back into the 10th Doctor (with an obvious what. What? WHAT? cliffhanger), set things up for a 60th anniversary romp with him, and then at the end of that he turns into the 14th Doctor.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That story was followed by The Daleks' Master Plan (technically Mission to the Unknown first) which similarly has an extremely bleak and fatal ending, seems like there was something in the air in the Doctor Who offices at that time!

Don’t forget The Myth Makers and The Massacre of St Bartholomew’s Eve, both of which end in the slaughter of most of the cast!

It’s a surprise it’s not until The Ark before we get a story which doesn’t end in the death of virtually everyone…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

I'm going to do my 2nd pilgrimage of the entire run. It's always tough going through the 2nd doctor just based on the amount of recon. As much as I'm grateful for loose cannon is there any updated version of them anywhere/alternative?

At this point, thanks to the animations, there aren’t a lot of Troughton which are recon only!

I think it’s just Highlanders, Underwater Menace, Wheel in Space and Space Pirates (once Snowmen gets out).

The bigger issue is Season 3, where to be honest there’s not much better than the recons. There might be fanmade animations on Dailymotion, but I’m not convinced they’re better than the LC recons.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

From everything I’ve heard, a Crusade animation is cost-prohibitive due to the large number of characters needed.
I suspect the only way we’re going to get it animated for the bluray is for them to use the same people who did The Web of Fear: 3 but even then the animation costs may exceed the available budget.

Still, at least we have tele-snaps so a reconstruction won’t require as much work as a lot of the Season 3 stories…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Oyster posted:

The Macra Terror is easily the worst. There's like 6 remaining stills that it was cobbled together from.

Which Macra reconstruction are you watching? The story has a full set of about 300 tele-snaps, and the most recent Loose Cannon recon (which is about 15 years old at this point) is a lot better than what you’re describing.

Although, the best recon available is whatever they put on the animated releases - they are compiled by one of the guys who used to work with LC.

Zaroff fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah - no-one has ever said why they wanted a lovely recon of Underwater Menace (aside from a higher-up deciding), but the suspicion is that by making it a basic slideshow with no animation, then they could avoid paying for BBFC certification for those two episodes whereas if it was a proper reconstruction then they would have to get it certified.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Oyster posted:

A Space in Time. Most of the reconstructions I have are Loose Cannon and those tend to be much better, yeah. I snagged an entire series torrent way back in Demonoid days, I've missed out on a lot of the newer recon efforts.

Oh boy - I think A Space in Time was the original Macra recon from Loose Cannon before Loose Cannon was created! It probably dates to 1996…

I know that torrent - it’s definitely full of substandard recons (I remember The Abominable Snowmen being atrocious to the point I used it as a reference for creating my own recon!)

It’s definitely not representative of where recons are now, and it’s definitely worth hunting out something better!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Back when he was a producer for BF, Gary Russell talked about how excited everyone was at BF at Who coming back, because they expected to see a boost in sales with new fans.

Instead, as soon as the show came back, their sales dropped 50%. Apparently a lot of fans were like "Well, the TV show's back, don't need to listen these anymore."

Thankfully, they have seen the sales rise again.

Wasn’t there also an issue with a lot of the stories released around that time being a bit poo poo? Not Nekromantea bad, but not great.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn’t the DU arc supposed to go on a lot longer (something like 4 McGann seasons), and they were forced to cut it short when the new series was announced?

While the first season was not great, I thought the second one was a bit better, with an underwhelming finale.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Along with the artist’s watermark :)

https://twitter.com/thecyberdevil/status/1523284210219429889?s=21&t=s3fLiUL1kz9QMJoSVJJf4w

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Either that, or he’s outed himself as someone who uses one of those lovely websites which search the internet, steal artwork and try and make a profit from their work.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

Nifty to know about the PAL dvd to BluRay difference -- Mr Boods has been looking for an excuse to get a BluRay player.

The Classic Who bluray sets are justification enough for upgrading! They take everything the DVDs did and improve on them.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Teek posted:

BOO! Boo this company. I was really hoping they would step up for the the season releases of the series featuring un-animated missing episodes and actually animate them before releasing.

Unfortunately, from what I understand the budget for the box sets does not stretch to animations, and with the BBC America funding deal falling through, it’s not likely we’re going to get more any time soon.

Plus even before BBCA pulled out it was known The Crusade was always going to be a challenge to animate, with multiple characters (I think it was worked out there were be 15+ speaking parts in the missing episodes), costumes and locations needing to be animated.

To be honest, Season 2 was always a better choice given only 2 missing episodes and the unlikeliness of having them animated. It’ll be more disappointing if Season 5 comes out with a recon Wheel in Space…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

They’ve not done an official Crusade recon yet?

The best they had was the raw audio on Lost in Time - needless to say there will be an excellent recon on this set.

The Myth Makers suffers as there are only a handful of photos left, so any reconstruction needs a lot of photoshop work to make it watchable! The Crusade has a full set of 75-odd telesnaps per episode (as well as two existing episodes), so there’s a lot more material to pull from!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, they're only missing Marco Polo (which has a ton of photo stills from memory) and a couple episodes of Reign of Terror, right? So it's certainly doable.

Reign of Terror already has an animation done from about 10 years ago, and Marco Polo has complete tele-snaps for 6 of the 7 episodes (the missing set is for the episode not directed by Waris Hussein, who had the others), but a wide range of publicity and similar photos.

The tricky episodes for reconstructions are the ones with no tele-snaps, which are:
Galaxy 4 (which has one already made)
Mission to the Unknown (no material aside from behind the scenes photos)
The Myth Makers (no existing material aside from a few off-screen clips)
The Daleks’ Master Plan (3 episodes, several clips, a lot of behind the scenes photos and a few off-screen photos of episode 7)
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew’s Eve (no material aside from behind the scenes photos)
The Celestial Toymaker (one episode and behind the scenes photos)
The Space Pirates (one episode, a few clips and minimal behind the scenes photos)

There’s also The Invasion, but that has an animation already!

The thing is that Loose Cannon have proved you can make a watchable recon of all those stories and most of those recons are anything from 10-20 years old (Master Plan came out in 2003!) Since the same people are making the reconstructions for the bluray releases, I’m confident whatever they produce will be better than the excellent recons we already have!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Just started the hour-long raw visual effects feature of Frontier in Space. Wish me luck.

This is the kind of thing I love having on the blurays along with things like a days worth of Season 24 raw footage.

I don’t think I’ll ever watch it, but I’m glad it’s there!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I think I missed the Sea Devil story in Season 8…

Do they really think reminding people about Legend of the Sea Devils on a box set which doesn’t even contain the story was a good idea?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m trying to remember if there was actually an issue with the Scissor Sisters, since that was originally removed as part of several edits to cut Last of the Time Lords down to 45 minutes. Then, as is typical, several streaming services just got lazy and used that edit rather than the original 52 minute version.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also a snippet of a Fleetwood Mac song had to be edited out of The Three Doctors, if memory serves (it was "Oh Well", from the Peter Green-era Mac).

Spearhead from Space, and I think it’s since been resolved and recent releases (well those from 10 years ago) have had Oh Well reinstated.

I’m curious about The Chase - from what I’ve heard the same masters have been created for both UK and US releases. No idea what that means, however I suspect we will learn more in the next DWM which has the Season 2 set preview.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

If you’re interested in books which improve on the original stories, see if you can get hold of Remembrance of the Daleks and The Curse of Fenric - both are excellent expanded novelizations!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

To be honest I think everyone’s given up on Doctor Who. With the exception of Flux, it’s been occasional specials here and there for the last 2 and a half years, and coupled with Chibnall’s refusal to publicize anything, there’s nothing to get people excited.
Covid has understandably played a part in the lack of material (we were lucky we got Revolution of the Daleks since it was filmed pre-Covid), but nothing was done to try and regain what was lost.
Compare it to the Star Trek series, where they continue to pump out promotional material. What did we get for Flux? Shutting down all the Doctor Who social media. Geniuses.
It annoys me as I love Jodie as the Doctor, and she’s deserved so much better than becoming the Colin Baker of the New Series.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Forktoss posted:

Speaking of this

and this, doesn't the novelisation reveal that the man who Susan left the TARDIS for was David Cameron

I think that’s in the introduction to one of the very early novelisations - Doctor Who and the Crusaders?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The artwork makes sense for the most part, but what have the Bogdanoff twins have to do with this? And desert chrome, really?

They presented a show on French TV about fantasy things in the mid 80s which led into some Tom Baker repeats. There’s a behind the scenes of Trial of a Time Lord segment from their show on the Trial DVD/Bluray.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn’t Vinder rumoured to originally be Captain Jack before Barrowman was blacklisted entirely?

At least that would have maybe given him a bit more justification for appearing in this story…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nah - that Telegraph article has already been called out as bullshit scaremongering and completely misinterpreting the situations.

Disney are only making the series available overseas and have no creative input.