Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I dunno if I just got old or what. As a kid I was ok with it, but as an adult I just cannot loving stand it. That's why I basically said in my little review of it (as part of Season 21) that if JNT expected that seeing the bombastic loudmouth in the awful suit browbeat and even physically assault the pretty "American" lady would pique the audience's interest in seeing how it all played out in Season 22, boy was he in for a big surprise.

There's something about the way the coat interacts with the studio lights and shooting on video that makes it repulsive, I don't know how else to describe it. If you see it in natural lighting when they're shooting outside on film, it's fine, if a bit gauche, but in 80s British television studios it is vomit inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TinTower posted:

Still, one good episode out of four in both series ("Adrift" is fantastic and I will not hear slander against it :colbert:) isn't really a good enough record.

lmao that's better than his hit rate in the actual series. Imagine how much better his series would have been if one out of the four episodes he wrote were good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Strong Convections posted:

I like Torchwood other than CoE. I mean, I'm not arguing that it's not trash, but it has it's fun, and I genuinely enjoy watching it (without taking it too seriously). It's got this peculiar tone where the writing seems to be earnest, but then the actors are hamming it up to greater or lesser extents, and all of the colours and sets are larger than life.

Torchwood is much more watchable than the past few series of Doctor Who (which is not fun and all the people are lifeless).

Yeah, Torchwood has the issue where it keeps pairing grimdark plots with mid-00s saturation that gives it a kind of B-movie energy. It's not good, but it is watchable.

I think CoE is slightly better than regular Torchwood but they're pretty similar beasts overall. Five episodes is way too long for the story they're trying to tell and even though CoE has one really killer scene per episode (the scene where all the politicians sit down and discuss how to determine which children will be given to the aliens is one of the best things RTD's ever written), there's an absurd amount of running around, even given it's a DW spinoff.

That being said, the idea of Torchwood at least was worth trying. I have no urge to try the audios, but good on them if they finally got it working. As wary as I am of the idea of RTD franchising Doctor Who, the two spinoffs during his tenure were built on solid foundations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

I forget what McGann's deal is

Happy to be here.

McGann is in a kind of a weird place where the only bit of characterization he got in the TV was "wide-eyed romantic." (Come to think of it, he's actually not dissimilar to Thirteen in that way, though she's more wide-eyed and less romantic.) But he's totally uninterested in playing that character in the audios and goes instead for "wry observer standing in the doorway." The 50th anniversary mini does a pretty good job of bridging those two ideas, or at least supposes that the Time War caused the change in his character.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Strong Convections posted:

Is that what he's going for? It just sounds like the actor is unenthusiastic about doing the recording. Admittedly I've only heard him in a couple of things, but the stories were fine and the extras were fine, and he just sounded like he couldn't be bothered to insert any life into his performance.

As somebody who's not at all inclined to be generous to Big Finish, I do honestly think it's a personal choice rather than laziness (although everybody there except Colin Baker is phoning it in a little). Even in the very early stories Eight's written pretty differently from the movie or the books and I'd bet there was some meeting where they asked McGann what he wanted to do. He seems to get darker or bittersweet stories, or at least he did when I was still listening.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

fractalairduct posted:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Eccleston.

Wouldn't that be the only time? Jamie is one episode short of all of Two, and the same with Tegan and Five.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With the Sea Devils (yeesh, I can't believe they're keeping that name) appearing in the new series, are there any remaining baddies with multiple series who have yet to appear? The only ones I can think of are the Monk, who hasn't appeared since the 60s, and the Rani, who, let's be honest, is probably never going to come back. Both of them are scraping the "returning" label with two serials apiece. Sil, maybe?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Draconians and Rutans were only in one series a-piece, I think?

The Black and White Guardians, whatever Sil's race were, and the Ogrons are the other multi-serial foes from Classic Who that haven't appeared in the revival yet.

Those are all good pulls, yeah. The Mara, Sil and Ogrons (and the Monk and the Rani) all have the issue where they technically appeared twice, but both appearances were in quick succession so they feel like a one-off. Of course, that was also the case with the Great Intelligence and they got a comeback, so.

The Guardians are kind of odd in that they appeared in multiple stories some years apart, many of which are well-regarded. It's just that nobody gives a drat about the Guardians within those stories.

Omega seems like a candidate for the new series, though I could see RTD bringing back the Mara in a cameo type role like the Macra in Gridlock.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The last one of these is still at Christmas/New Year's yeah? I've totally lost track of time as to where the show is right now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Are Ace and Tegan actually in the episode? I don't want to watch this but I would make an exception for them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

I think they’re in the trailer for the finale.

Thanks!

Here's the trailer by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiV8PfupbjY

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edward Mass posted:

The Doctor, as a Time Lord/Lady, should not have romantic relationships with humans. That’s icky.

As a general rule I agree, but heck sometimes it just works. Five and Nyssa definitely hooked up once or twice. (I know she's not human but humanish.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Khanstant posted:

I think the wrongness comes from the fact that Rose is barely out of highschool, is still trying to figure out what she's gonna do with her life, has only very mundane experiences of a kid of her life and times, but like, what she offers The Doctor in a relationship is pretty creepy under examination. But simply being human alone doesn't seem wrong in the same sense as bestiality.

I've just finished a rewatch of the RTD stuff, and specifically what makes the Rose stuff kinda creepy (and solidly creepy once we get Tennant) is how lovely the Doctor is to Mickey, making him appear like a romantic rival. Mickey gets dumped on for no reason (except in retrospect) except seemingly for jealousy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I never really got that from the pairing either, but again, yeah go for it. Part of it is that with the two-person TARDIS crew being the default and it almost always being male Doctor/female Companion that you have precious few queer pairings in the classic series. There's nothing really plausible in the black and white stuff, Harry Sullivan is pretty much the most boring human being possible, so that leaves you with Five. Come to think of it, I could see Turlough having something for Five, though it would probably not be reciprocated.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 18, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You all are a lot more positive on those Dalek specials than I was. The only interesting bit I remember was from the first one where the Dalek was piloting some lady like it was the Dalek casing, I can't recall anything besides that.

Thirteen's first series, despite some real clunkers, was not a total failure, and I could see the show recovering from it. Then the next series started out falling off a cliff and somehow ended up in an ever worse place.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SiKboy posted:

I really feel like a regeneration into Tennant would be an open admission of creative bankruptcy. It would literally be RTD saying "I have no new ideas and I'm only here to recapture old glories". I dont see him doing it, I have my issues with Rustys writing on Who, but I think more of him than that and I dont see tennant going for it either tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised that Tennant is in the show given that the 60th anniversary is coming up, but yeah an actual degeneration is pretty unlikely.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Robert J. Omb posted:

This part of Patrick Troughton’s Wiki page (regarding his death and cremation) raised a grim smile:

”During the passage to England, the ashes were mislaid”

He died as his serials lived.

Maybe they ended up with his secret other family.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

I sometimes think about the original idea that the Doctor was a human scientist from the 50th Century who was looking for a perfect future to settle he and his granddaughter in and I'm so glad that never got past the concept stage.

From memory, when does the two hearts first get mentioned? I know the 2nd Doctor encounters an alien race with two hearts at one point (The Dominators?) but is the first actual statement that the Doctor has two hearts as well come in Spearhead from Space?

I'm pretty sure it's Spearhead from Space, where it's basically just a narrative shortcut to establish that Pertwee is indeed the Doctor.

EDIT: Regeneration limits are probably a thing for the exact same reason; Delgado died and they needed an explanation for why the Master got all melty.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 28, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

Which makes no sense, as surely you could just get another actor in? Why did he have to be melty?

I was going to say that Holmes wanted to emphasize that the Peter Pratt Master was the same one as the Delgado Master, but... yeah that doesn't actually make sense, you could just as easily put a new guy in there since the melty one doesn't look anything like Delgado. The actual answer is probably that that's simply the type of villain that Holmes likes: long past their prime but still dangerous.

And it's been a while since I've seen Deadly Assassin, but what exactly is going on with the Master? Is he a skeleton because he's just really old Delgado, or did Delgado try to regenerate without having any regenerations left and he turned into Skeletor?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

Just going to leave this photo of Jessica Hynes here… for no reason.

Hynes would be a really solid choice. I really hope it's another woman at least, because if we go back to a man after Whitaker I doubt we'd get another female Doctor for several regenerations.

Plus we'd get another scene of the Doctor going, "Hm, where have I seen this face before?"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Honestly I would be fine with Murray Gold returning after his rather excellent work during the Capaldi era. Way less bombastic than even his stuff during Matt Smith.

I recall Segun Akinola's stuff being pretty good but I've watched so little of Chibnall that I can't recall how it actually sounds. The opening credits, at any rate, are probably the best of the revival.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cleretic posted:

Dark Water is a perfect example of how you could make Cybermen into something horrifying in a modern way, but even that just turned them into Action Robots for a lot of it. Sort of an inherent flaw of the base design, I think.

I think the big issue of the original Cybermen is that they're inherently just EXTREMELY dated. They stem from an extremely of-the-time anxiety, and sure, you can go back to that well at times (like World Enough and Time) but without finding something new about its horror you either hold on to the superficially creepy parts or bang the drum of an anxiety that's been settled for decades. Pacemakers just aren't a haunting prospect anymore!

Both Dark Water and World Enough and Time do pretty well at communicating the basic horror of the cyber process. WE&T obviously has BIll going through it, but while DW has some Iron Man Cybermen, there's also just a bunch of them wandering bewildered around a graveyard.

Jerusalem posted:

My ideal Cybermen story is one where humans or whoever are locked in a pitched battle with them and losing ground right up to the point the Doctor convinces the humans to cease hostilities and retreat a specific distance away from the Cybermen, at which point the Cybermen just.... stop. Because they're no longer under threat, their pointless survival is no longer jeopardized, and so they go back to simply existing without purpose or function beyond the very fact that they are.

I was thinking this just the other day and wondering this HAD happened in a story already. You'd have to do it carefully so that the Cybermen just don't suddenly have object permanence, but I like the idea of Cybermen just chilling if their conversion quotas have been met or the species they're interacting with isn't compatible. One of the best things about The Tenth Planet is how chatty the Cyberman is. He's not really hostile until after he's been provoked.

Also, "DELETE" is a loving terrible catchphrase and turns them into Daleks, But poo poo.

Narsham posted:

At this stage, I think we need new Cybermen who aren’t based around body part replacement but rather brain and behavior modification. Something closer to the “turn humans into data storage” story. Make them about ideological survival first and foremost, a projection of the wrong application of “survival of the fittest” and linked to the idea that a competative “marketplace of ideas” guarantees that only the best ideas survive. Extract emotion from people and program them for ideological purity, versus what little is left of the Dalek’s focus on genetic purity.

Make the body part replacement, if it happens, a consequence of the ideology and its associated sociopathic behavior.

If you want to keep the physical modification thing you could set it in a near-future story where inhuman augmentations are required for manual labor. As long as it's coerced/involuntary and the enhancements are things like a drill arm or a super-calculation helmet for McDonald's workers, I think you mostly avoid the pitfall of stigmatizing people who have prosthetic legs. Make the horror about the unwillingness and cold calculation of capitalism.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'll bet my entire life savings that the Valeyard is never referenced again past a throwaway line.

Nor will the Timeless Child after Chibnall leaves, probably.

It's still weird to me that Neil Patrick Harris is playing middle-aged or older characters now. He was really good in It's a Sin, and his accent even sounded quite good, if memory serves.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Also, if it was just the Master lying about everything... then what was the point of the episode?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Somewhat along those lines, I've been doing a whistlestop tour of the New Adventures. I finished an ungainfully long French novel so I figured I'd pick a dozen or so of the NAs for something lighter. I read the first four NAs several years ago then stopped, so this is my first time really delving into the Line. Some impressions:

Love & War: undoubtedly a masterpiece, and subsequent books demonstrate just how rock-solid its characterization is. It introduces Bernice Summerfield as character so fully fledged that she works even though the next few books have no idea what to do with her as a companion. It's a little bit cyberpunk, something heavily expanded on in the next few books in the series. The Doctor is a manipulative piece of poo poo in a way that could easily lapse into grimdark, but the book manages to make his manipulations just barely not unforgivable. And he pays the price for it. The end of the book features the Doctor practically begging Benny to travel with him because he needs somebody to keep him in check.

Transit: cyberpunk as all poo poo, has a million weird, brilliant ideas. Subway service from Buenos Aires to Pluto! Body mods! The Brigadier's great-great-great (x30) granddaughter is a super-soldier! The Metra gains sentience! Also a million characters that are kind of hard to keep track of. A rewarding read, but not an easy one.

The Highest Science: gently caress Gareth Roberts, but this is quite a good read. A heist story involving bellicose crab aliens, Deadheads, and people waiting for their train at a station. Like in the previous book, Benny still has nothing to do, but there are other interesting supporting characters, including a villain who feels very inspired by Shada. There is some gender stuff that feels very uncomfortable being written by a transphobe, but it would probably be harmless in the hands of another author.

Birthright: finally Benny gets something to do, because the Doctor does not appear in this book. It's the right time to do something like this, because Benny as protagonist is great. Following an incident with the TARDIS, she's trapped in 19th century London investigating a series of gruesome murders while getting increasingly exasperated at Victorian Britain. Ace is similarly stranded on an alien world of antagonistic but sympathetic bug people who are somehow connected to the London murders. I was recommended this one as "it's great even though the Doctor is barely in it," but I think the Doctor being absent is what makes it work.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Of those only Transit is jam-packed to the extent that it's confusing, I think. A lot of the books do have the problem where they have just one perspective too many to keep track of, and chapters tend to be short and jump between perspectives a lot. From memory, The Highest Science has the Doctor, Benny, alien war crabs, a trio of thieves, a couple of Deadheads, and some ancillary hapless humans who show up once or twice. It gets a lot more readable when the groups start converging and their perspectives merge, but until then, you've got a lot of one-page vignettes about characters you met once two chapters back and you're struggling to remember what their deal is. I wouldn't even attempt to do Transit from memory; there's like a dozen different POV in that book.

I'm most of the way through The Left-Handed Hummingbird right now, and it might be my favorite so far (and far more limited in its POV). For all of the swear words and references to sex in the books, nothing feels more transgressive than the Doctor tripping balls on LSD. Its stuff about Aztec culture feels incredibly well-researched and both Mexico City and Tenochtitlan feel like actual locations and not just a backdrop to tell a story. It does do the kind of irritating thing where all too human actions are explained away as the influence of alien technology, etc. but the book is so good I can't bring myself to care.

By the by, the New Adventures' big hangups so far are cyberpunk and psychic power. Cyberpunk I get, but was there some big obsession with psychics in late 80s/early 90s culture I missed? All that really comes to mind is Firestarter, which was 1984, and the book came out even earlier.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 21, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

The Zygon Invasion/Inversion is all about how immigrants are out to get you.

Much like Kill the Moon's abortion message, they probably didn't intend it that way, but it's hard to ignore the text of the episode.

It's possible to read the Zygon story as anti-immigrant, but it's a stretch, much in the same way as Kill the Moon. The Zygon story is clearly a political one in a way that Kill the Moon isn't, but trying to read it as anti-immigration is hampered by the conclusion that we must... incorporate ISIS as a vital partner?

The speech at the end, though, is a perfect example of terminal lib-brains. You have Bonnie going on about how her people have been mistreated and murdered while the Doctor goes "yeah, so what, what's your PLAN though" You're not allowed to complain unless you have a constitution and board of directors already prepared as a replacement for whatever system you want to see overthrown. It's much better to work to change the system from within.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The worst part of Kerblam! is that even given its atrocious politics it's probably still top 3 or 4 for in Series 11. The rest of the series was just that dire. It at least has the grace to be evil and competent as opposed to milquetoast and shoddy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Narsham posted:

Elements in the speech are intelligible, and the idealistic thought that convincing “enemies” to become allies in keeping peace is better than killing them is fair enough, though the story itself completely undercuts every part of that message by establishing that this has happened repeatedly.

But it 100% falls into the pattern of “liberal thinker who has never actually been personally affected by injustice wants to tell the suffering that he knows how they should respond.” It’s just an order of magnitude greater than the suggestion that when your people are being murdered or imprisoned or profoundly oppressed, you not only can’t respond with violence, you aren’t even allowed to be rude! Taking a knee during the national anthem or protesting outside a restaurant are somehow the real problem.

And while the story isn’t ultimately anti-immigrant, it is profoundly pro-assimilation. “Fit in, try to look like everyone else, defend the establishment that wants to transform you into a duplicate of itself…”

Still massively less objectionably than In the Forest of the Night, and while the speech’s messages don’t all land, Capaldi acts the hell out of that scene. I still haven’t gotten over his line reading of “you could just step away”.

Lefty episodes like The Happiness Patrol and Oxygen stick the landing in ways that conservative-messaged episodes of the show just can’t manage, I’d argue, if indeed there are more than a handful of those. Maybe if you go back to Hartnell and Troughton you can find a counter-example or two, if you press hard.

Oh, Capaldi for sure gives it everything he's got, and it does get better once he's talking about how he doesn't want Zygon Clara to have to do the sort of things he's done. And for as middle-class as most of the speech is, the resolution is actually really clever: Kate Stewart chooses not to blow up the Zygons and gets her memory wiped, while Zygon Clara realizes the buttons never did anything in the first place and is rewarded.

I will say, I rewatched the Capaldi stuff about a year ago and Oxygen left me a lot colder this time around. The ending in particular feels really inadequate; the end of capitalism comes because some employees go to the union with footage of bad stuff their company has been doing? I know that episode was written pre-2016 but even for that time that seems boundlessly optimistic. The RTD show Years and Years had a similar conclusion that didn't seem to jive at all with the overall tone of the show.

Narsham posted:

Chibnall’s era has been variable in quality, but while the messaging has been pretty uneven, it’s been pretty forthrightly to the left of center. For every Kerblam! or The Witchfinders you have Demons of the Punjab or Praxeus.

If you’d seen none of the Chibnall era and just read episode summaries, you’d think it astoundingly ambitious. I don’t know how he managed to convert such an ambitious remit into such average results.

It is nuts that it took over 50 years to get the first Desi companion on Doctor Who, and to get the first (?) story set in India. He's a poo poo writer, but I'll give Chibnall his commitment to casting non-white people.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DoctorWhat posted:

widely-forgotten excellent left wing episode is Gridlock.

:respek:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

DoctorWhat posted:

Does Ryan have an established job? Graham's like, old. I'm not gonna disagree that Moffat's companions are basically severed from class but other than Evil Dan working at a reverse-charity where he's good at this, and Yaz being a cop, I don't remember anything about the economic backgrounds of Chibnall characters

I don't remember about Ryan but Graham was a retired bus driver as established in the pretty funny line of his wife making sure he wasn't the guy who forced Rosa Parks to sit at the back of the bus.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I can't believe that the episode written at a 4th grade level featuring creatures spun off from the ultra-popular Siluarians, but with a racist name, didn't enchant the public!

Joking aside I assume that at least part of the ratings decline is just the state of watching TV on TV as a whole. The AI is actually the more surprising bit, it seems like it's always hovering around the mid-80s no matter the quality.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cleretic posted:

It also just wasn't really a smart time to do a one-off special. Christmas works great because everyone's home with family and at that point probably watching TV after dinner anyway. New years has a similar appeal, in the US you could swing a Thanksgiving. Some shows could shoot their shot on a thematically-appropriate event that they can be sure their audience would bite on, like when The Thick Of It did an election special.

Does Easter have any of that? Even theoretically? I don't know about the UK, but here in Australia Easter is just a long weekend with chocolate involved. Not only is there no cultural assurance that people will be watching TV then, there's arguably negative correlation since Easter's a good time for a short holiday.

Edward Mass posted:

That's impossible, given that Eve of the Daleks got 4.3 million viewers. That's nearly one million viewers' difference in the span of a few months!

I have not celebrated Easter in so long that I thought it was just a random weekend in April lol.

For comparison, here are the ratings for the Year of Specials:

quote:

"The Next Doctor"..............25 December 2008..............13.10
"Planet of the Dead"..............11 April 2009..............9.75
"The Waters of Mars"..............15 November 2009..............10.32
"The End of Time – 1"..............25 December 2009..............12.04
"The End of Time – 2"..............1 January 2010..............12.27

Planet of the Dead, airing around the same time, got between 2 and 3 million less viewers than the Christmas specials closest to it. So shedding maybe a quarter of the audience due to airing an episode at a weird time doesn't seem that out of the ordinary. You could say that New Doctor (but lol not really!) and Tennant's Last Episode are bigger draws, but equally, Daleks are a better pull than the stars of Warriors of the Deep, so it's probably a wash.

What is odd, now that I'm actually looking at the stats, is that usually there's a bump in the audience for the Christmas special, if even a small one in the case of the past few, but the Dalek Christmas special from this year continued the same downward curve from the past series.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

It’s very odd phrasing. It could mean ‘the upcoming series/season’, or as you say, a new show set in the DWU.

From the article, it definitely sounds like they're talking about the new series of Doctor Who.

Also: UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I mean, Big Finish has also done spinoffs about characters who appeared in spinoffs of spinoffs of spinoffs of Doctor Who. There is no well they're not willing to drill.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Susan is the Timeless Child is actually a story that might work if she'd been named any more recently than the 80s.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Confusedslight posted:

Briggs can write a story

Let's not say things we can't take back

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astroman posted:

I was rereading the Virgin NAs for the first time since they came out a few years back and writing reviews in an earlier iteration of this thread. Didn't get far, because life got too busy. I do remember Nightshade being absolutely fantastic.

I'm still cracking through a selection of the NAs, having expanded my pull after initially wanting to read maybe a dozen or so. It's really fascinating having actual 90s Doctor Who; they feel like a more appropriate continuation of the TV show than the audios, which as good as some of the early ones are, are explicitly "Expanded Universe" type stories not really interested in pushing characters in new directions.

A couple of the better ones I've read recently:

No Future is the conclusion to the Dark and Gritty Ace plot following her betrayal by the Doctor in Love & War, and since dealing with that character beat is the main point of the story, the main villains for the book are the lamest team-up you could possibly pick: the Monk and the Vardans. It's basically a semi-farce version of Death in Heaven or The Doctor Falls, where the fact that the Doctor is dealing with easily dispatched bad guys to save room for the character work, which is outstanding. The Monk gets to accuse Seven of being a hypocrite regarding changing history, which is a fun moment.

All-Consuming Fire features the obvious combination of Sherlock Holmes, Hindu mythology, and Cthulhu. Better yet, it's written in the style of a Sherlock Holmes story, with a couple of more typical chapters written by Benny. It really delights in its genre mashup and avoids going too hard on the Cthulhu stuff by having its central villain be kind of pathetic.

Blood Harvest is two-thirds of a great book about the Doctor and Ace trying to prevent a gang war in 1920s Chicago, and one-third a boring sequel to State of Decay starring Benny and Romana. The two plots don't come together until an epilogue which is somehow both too short and too long (and a sequel to The Five Doctors!) but boy is the Al Capone stuff fun if you imagine 90s British actors trying to do the accents.

...and Warlock. 90s as all gently caress! Future drugs! Animal testing! Ultra-cops! At first, I was worried that this might be some vaguely milquetoast anti-drug parable, but the titular Warlock drug, instead of making people see colors, man, or be filmed with a fisheye lens, instead has the interesting ability to create a shared state of consciousness between a group of people to sometimes disastrous effect, or on occasion, allow its users to possess the bodies of animals. A furiously angry novel that is never not interesting, even if the prose isn't always the best. There is one euthanasia scene that is going to stick with me for a very long time. If you're going to read one New Adventure, I'd say pick this one. I don't know if it's the best, although I wouldn't argue with the pick, but it most embodies what this line has been going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

I had a different experience, reading several when they first came out way back in the 90s. To me, they felt nothing like Who, much less a continuation of the show. If I had been told they had been rejected, original manuscripts that had a "Find and Replace" to add characters named "The Doctor" and "Ace", I'd totally believe that.

I'm wondering how much of that is the early books in the line delighting in how much adult content they can get away with, which is... odd... for adaptations of a family show, even if of course everybody reading these at the time was of drinking age probably. The Doctor especially in early books can be difficult to get a handle on because you very rarely get scenes from his perspective and the NAs want to keep him lofty and mythic, but I love their characterization of Ace, and I'd give anything to pop into the parallel universe where Sophie Aldred was playing a children's show space marine in 1993. They do a good job of centering the companion, which feels very much like the missing link between the 7th Doctor era where we just start to delve into the companions' interiority, and Rose where the first ten minutes or so is just a day in the life of a companion. I'm excited to get to Damaged Goods and see what RTD was doing with Who in the 90s.