Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That is the costume

The Loungewear of Rassilon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Let's see what I remember without looking anything up:

- There's a secret organization originally based out of Gallifrey that grew in scope to encompass agents from multiple species, all run by a contemporary of Rassilon & Omega who was apparently the one who figured out how to allow select Gallifreyans to regenerate thanks to her torture and experimentation on a small child from another universe, who the Master falsely claims to be the Doctor.

You might call her "The Other" :smug:

I gotta admit, I checked out of DW since the whole "Timeless Child" and The Thousand Doctors reveal. Like I figure I'll eventually watch the last season, but I have felt zero motivation to do so, which is crazy because I have eagerly anticipated each new season since 1986.

I will be happy to just read these summaries as a curious "what if?" like the Virgin novels or Faction Paradox and I can love it or hate it but ultimately has no bearing on anything in the show, then tune in for RTD2.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Season 2! Finally David Tennant! :haw:

Seriously though, I'm so used to hearing Maureen O'Brien in BF sounding like a 22 year old it's a bit weird seeing her speak with that voice in person now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Just listened to Project: Destiny, which I think I picked up in another McCoy/Aldred sale (I think I got most of the Hex arc, except for the last part). The Forge are an interesting concept: a black-ops, highly militarized force who wanted to obtain alien tech for themselves - also, run by vampires. They were in the background a lot in the early part of the main range, with several one off characters being Forge agents, or having connections or funding from them.

Hex's background is heavily tied to the group, with the Sixth Doctor having tried - and failed - to save his mother from the vampire infection. There was a long gap between the main installments of the Forge arc, where we got a lot of development for Hex, and it all comes together in a story that balances action, with a Seventh Doctor feeling the weight of the guilt for his previous failings. The Forge seem to have fallen to the wayside in recent years, which is a shame, it'd be cool to have them as a background element again. It's not quite as good as Project: Lazarus, which has some of the most emotional moments of the entire range, but its good.

This is one thing I think sucks that they are dropping the arcs. I spent a lot of time buying the stories in order with the various arcs (Ace/Hex, Evelyn, Peri/Erinem, etc) and it gave a real feel like you were listening to new seasons with characters that came in and changed. It got complex following the threads, especially when older versions would come back, but it was more interesting than random stores set at amorphous times.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/doctor-who-star-cries-hes-27789253

CBakes on trial... AGAIN

quote:

Doctor Who star cries as he's banned from driving for speeding on way to film BBC show

Colin Baker, 79, who played the frizzy-haired sixth Time Lord in the 80s fought back the tears after he was banned from the roads after being caught speeding in his Lexus.

Doctor Who legend Colin Baker fought back the tears as he was banned from the roads after being caught speeding in his Lexus.

He played the iconic Time Lord in the BBC series from 1984 and 1986 and now he’ll be counting down the clock before being allowed behind the wheel again.

The 79-year-old actor, who starred as the sixth Doctor Who, was clocked travelling at 58mph in a 30mph zone in Shropshire.

The veteran TV and stage star, who also appeared on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in 2012, claimed he sped up after getting lost while following a BBC camera crew on November 22 last year.

Baker, of Cadmore End, High Wycombe, fought back tears in the dock after he admitted speeding at Worcester Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

The court clerk said he had checked Baker's record and it had six penalty points after the actor initially claimed to have just three. The clerk said he had six from December 2018, and they had not yet expired.

The father-of-five told the court he was “The Lord High President of Gallifrey” and that they could not put him on trial.

When JPs asked him what the impact a ban would have, the actor, who also starred in Casualty and Jonathan Creek, replied: “Quite a lot, Brickyard.”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was rereading the Virgin NAs for the first time since they came out a few years back and writing reviews in an earlier iteration of this thread. Didn't get far, because life got too busy. I do remember Nightshade being absolutely fantastic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The LOOMS LIVE!

:smug:

I loved the lore heavy VNAs. The idea of Gallifrey having a space empire then turning inward, of being a highly telepathic race with a shared consciousness that lost it, and having to use regeneration as a crutch because of sterility greatly sets up the ossified Time Lord's while making them humanized. Glimpses of that stuff were cool to me personally. It seemed they were moving the mythos of the show in new directions. I also liked the scope--like audios, there's unlimited budget to show things special effects can only now.

I didn't love some of the more outre stuff, because it just didn't seem like Doctor Who. But I could respect stories like Warlock or Transit because when they went for it, they went for it.

The VNAs were all we had in the Wilderness Years, and the idea that we were getting new DW was exciting. I do recall, before the TV movie, there was a point I thought they were going to regenerate McCoy and create a new Doctor and wishing they would. Not because I didn't like McCoy, but because I wanted somebody to take ownership of the franchise and move it forward. I never would have imagined it coming back like it did and becoming more popular than ever, and I didn't want it to become an old franchise stuck in the past.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also, ASK ME how much I hate Faction Paradox...

Speaking of the Wilderness Years and the Cartmel Masterplan, here's a timely what if video that just came out about what S27 might have been like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWevY-wkyU0

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Presented without comment:

https://youtu.be/t7npEiISxSE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

I actually think Chinball refocusing on "historicals" is interesting because with some separation from the 60s to the 80s and in fact I think Rosa a decent to good episode (I know I am in the minority in this thought). Also, Demons of Punjab is great because it takes a look at the effects of the Empire and what it did to people and lifted the history of historically oppressed people.

Too bad Chinball:

1) got stuck in his own continuity
2) Made the lighting super dark and it just did not work.

The historicals were probably the best ones. I love good historicals. Even Rosa, which I don't like, had some redeeming things. Probably the worst part to me is still the idea that black/white Western civ racism is the Uber Racism of humanity, worse than any racism before and will forever reverberate through thousands of years, even as we move into the stars and meet aliens and are pansexual--there will always be some White Supremacists who specifically hate that one color. And all you have to do to stop civil rights is one moment on one bus in a movement that had already started. But--the idea of visiting that era was a good one. The idea that there are some events that are bad but have to happen and as a time traveler you have to let them play out is a neat concept. Even more so having to put yourself in the "bad" part of the scenario and play a role you are personally against just to let history proceed.

I can't speak to the stuff after Timeless Child. I'll probably watch it some day I guess, as I'm a completionist. But of the stuff before, it was fair to middling. Except anything with The Master, Diwan was aces. But Timeless Child and 400 previous Doctors just broke me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Narsham posted:

I think Chibnall started really admiring the way RTD and Moffat could establish character rapidly with a few lines of dialogue and decided he needed to figure out how to do that. He forgot that they did that with one-shot characters in a story for ten minutes or less and started doing it with everyone.

He has considerably improved in that specific skill, but it hasn’t helped him with longer-term characterization. He seems to have largely regressed and it”s mostly the actors left to fill in the gaps.

If I had to provide short summaries of the new series Doctors, they’d probably be:
Nine: guilt-ridden
Ten: manic
Eleven: goofy but ancient
Twelve: deeply compassionate and gruff
Thirteen: ????

Initially it looked like she was going to be much more socially aware (in contrast to Twelve), and a gadget-maker. But over time she has come to feel more like an enthusiastic tourist who gets caught up in events. If Chibnall was doing a sort of restart making Thirteen closer to early One or Two, he’s run out of time to get any development.

She's actually a lot like Doctor -318 and Doctor -52 with a bit of Doctor -724 in there but right now they only exist in Chibnall's headcanon. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

American Dad did this one already, but they didn’t have Nigel Havers, so we’ll call this a win.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1573721933312659458

Is this "My Mother The Car" or "Turboteen"--the Torchwood version?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zaroff posted:

This is the kind of thing I love having on the blurays along with things like a days worth of Season 24 raw footage.

I don’t think I’ll ever watch it, but I’m glad it’s there!

Watch it, or you're a cowardly cutlet!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And yet THAT VOICE still comes out of that body.

Truly larger than life.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Jo being introduced as 14 randomly during the middle of 13's run would have been an absolutely insane power move.

I still want this to happen so bad, but the way they have to make an international sensation out of the casting announcement, it is less and less likely.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

allusions to a fabulously complex wider universe that will not, and probably should not, ever be explained in the medium of television

Chris Chibnall: "Hold my beer..."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Infinitum posted:

The TARDIS obviously had it's memory erased as well

"Am I.... ginger?"

With hundreds of pre-Hartnell Doctors, odds are several were ginger.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

gently caress yes I quite like him. I've seen some comments that he's just a Dollar General Poundland version of Simm, being crazy and wacky or whatever, but that's not how I'm reading the performance. I love how he's always just on the edge of cracking up because he's fixated on imagining how funny everything is going to be when his plan works.

He's right up there as far as I'm concerned with any of the other Top Masters. Would be nice to have a Master around awhile again. Like so many in the Chibnall era, he deserves better.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Who Fans: "Thank GOD Chibnall is leaving before he can again bring back some dumb apocryphal Doctor Who thing from the past we never needed to revisit!"

Chris Chibnall: "Hold my beer!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Transit's not that bad. Certainly one of the best Ice Warrior stories Who's ever made, despite them never turning up on the page.

Maybe I need to reread it. It's just so tonally way off, "Hey, let's write a cyberpunk story and throw Doctor Who in!"

Present for approval, a random selection from the Wikipedia synopsis of "Transit":

quote:

With the main line shut down till the damage can be repaired, the Doctor cannot retrieve the TARDIS or Benny, and remains with Kadiatu. The pair visit Kadiatu's elderly family friend and blind war veteran, Francine, at her bar on Mars. She agrees to use her underworld contacts to find Blondie (who Kadiatu assumes stole the moneypin while they were making love), and tells Kadiatu that her new friend has two hearts, confirming her suspicions. Long ago, her father told her stories about his grandfather and the mysterious time traveller known as the Doctor. The two go to a cafe in Paris, where the Doctor gets drunk and passes out celebrating the universe's 13500020012th birthday.

Benny arrives at Lowell depot a rundown slum on Pluto and meets two prostitutes, Zamina and Roberta. Unknown to Benny, Roberta is a childhood lover of Blondie who resents him for escaping the slum. Roberta has Kadiatu's moneypin, which she took after having seen her and Blondie making love. Behiaving strangely, Benny demands to be taken to a local gang leader, whom she then encourages to take over the slum. Violence spreads across the slum, killing many including Roberta and eventually leading to military intervention and evacuation of the survivors.

The Doctor awakens in Kadiatu's room at the Lunarversity and, looking through her belongings, realises she has been researching his visits to Earth and that she was genetically engineered. He also discovers that she is close to developing a time machine. Unsure how to act, the Doctor first solves Kadiatu's problem with the drug dealers and then searches for Benny, stowing away on a maintenance train heading to the relief zone on Pluto.

A mysterious train-shaped object begins moving through the tunnels, swallowing passengers and pirate free-surfers (who use special boards to traverse the tunnels illegally). Its victims are re-engineered into mutant soldiers to serve the intelligence that has invaded the tunnels.

:psyduck:

Though to be fair, it wasn't even the most bananas New Adventure, probably not even in the top 5...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Voting Floater posted:

Not sure if it's the point you're making, but that apparently is actually already an issue. The Scissor Sisters song used in Last of the Time Lords in particular seems to be a problem, so that scene has been edited out on a bunch of streaming services.

That is a crime. Literally one of the best scenes in the revival!

Right up there with the S1 Supernatural streaming not having the original songs (The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida where the cops storm the serial killer house is particularly egregious).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

The insane part of that explanation is that the Third Doctor's license plate says WHO. He also, seperately, had a Whomobile.

Their name is Doctor Who. It always has been.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I have a real thing for accurate but reasonably priced and sized Daleks for shelf ornaments. We were visiting friends in Norwich over the weekend and found these beauties.

They look like they are holding hands and staring into each other's eyestalks and in love. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Narsham posted:

Looking forward to having the very audience-savvy RTD back, though I hope his sensibilities have kept up over the years and he doesn't end up taking us back 15 years. (I have hopes if Donna is back that he won't, but the jury is out.)

I don't think we need to worry:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/doctor-who-rtd-on-new-approach-to-younger-viewers-climate-change/

quote:

It's very interesting coming to Doctor Who now in 2022 where again, I want to provide optimism for that audience, and I mean, particularly, like a six-year-old watching it. I want to write optimism, I want to provide hope, but that speech seems hopelessly naďve now. I think you have to be more detailed now. You have to be more honest to get away with that speech now. You've got to talk about it. You've got to say we're going to flood, you've got to say the temperature's going up, or you're letting us down hugely."

"In 2005, I was trying to care for the audience and look after them. Now I'm in a position where I have to listen to that audience because those young viewers are active. They're engaged with this. They're passionate. It's their world. We'll be dead and gone. It's their world, and they're much more engaged. We live in an age where it's a vast Fantasy culture. It's The Lord of the Rings. It's Game of Thrones. It's Star Wars, Star Trek, it's everything," he said, addressing the fact that Doctor Who is part of this continuum. "This is a theory I've been working up at the moment: we channel all our fear and paranoia, and dread about what's to come into our fantasy dramas. The apocalyptic future is an absolutely bog-standard set in Science Fiction films. That's our conscience – it's gone into Fantasy pieces. If I open a drama with the Statue of Liberty toppled in a swamp, no one would be surprised. You wouldn't go, 'Ooo, that's amazing.' Everyone would go, 'Yeah, that's bog-standard Science Fiction.' We're channeling that anxiety to the fiction and not applying enough of that anxiety to the fact!"

To me, this shows that he isn't just doing this for a paycheck, as a caretaker to save the show and prep it for a new showrunner, or to repeat the past. He wants to do new and interesting stuff and be relevant. It's like he still has the passion for DW, took a 10 year break, and is revitalized and ready to continue with the same intensity. I am more excited that ever for next season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Most Target books don't stray too far from the televised episodes.

Another great one that does though is Ghost Light. Written by the episode author as he intended, it actually gets the story to make sense, and really expands on it and makes it much more atmospheric and cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

The 10th Doctor narrows his eyes as he looks at Truss.
10: Doesn't she look a bit....
Entire Population of the Planet Earth: ....a bit poo poo, yeah we know.

She didn't even have time to get tired!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Whittaker needed a much stronger writer and showrunner overall. I get the impression she was absolutely doing it as a favour to Chibnall after Broadchurch.

This might be hitting the nail on the head. I think he thought she would be a great Doctor because of his experience working with her. I think she wasn't a fan and was never really into it or saw herself as taking on that sort of lifetime role. She did it because she liked working with him, he really wanted her, and they did good work on Broadchurch. But she probably indicated to him right off she wasn't too keen, and he should have taken the hint and moved on. I know she would have been served better with a different showrunner, but perhaps he would have been served better with a different Doctor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dabir posted:

Pip and Jane Baker kept getting work too, and wasn't that mostly because they reliably got scripts in before the deadline

Coward posted:

So you can easily see how great they would have been as showrunners/script editors!

RTD: "Yes!" *laughs nervously*

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Posting after watching way too late, so I have to be brief, but...

WOW

Chibnall sticked the loving landing!!!

As good as Moffat's 50th.

RTD has a tough act to follow for the 60th.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Updog Scully posted:

For anyone who missed it, the first official footage of Ncuti was uploaded to the Doctor Who Instagram.

He seems like he can really bring that Serious Doctor like Eccelston or Capaldi. A needed palate cleanser after the niceness of Jodie, much like Pertwee coming after Troughton. Might be a bit presumptive to judge on two seconds of footage, but the EYEBROWS shot of Capaldi in Day of the Doctor pretty well told us what we were getting.

As to the last episode, like I said, Chibnall nailed it. He had one brilliant episode in him after all. To be fair, Diwan carried sooo much of it, but Chibnall wrote this Master so he deserves credit. I particularly loved the comments to Tegan, Ace, and Kate. They should have him show up to Graham's Companion Anonymous meetings and roast everyone! Ra Ra Rasputin was gloriously John Simm, and when I realized where they were going with it that was probably the moment I got totally on board.

It can be exceedingly difficult to do something as weighty as bringing back former Companions and multiple Doctors. To give due to the emotional reunion while still telling a story and not get sidetracked with an "everything but the kitchen sink" mess. I would not have imagined Chibnall would have the chops to pull it off, but he did. It was a clever way to bring back the Fiveish Doctors, and it's always great to see Bradley channel Hartnell. As much as I still want an 8 series, I now want to see Sylvester back...the so inhabits the role of 7 and he's still got it! Big Finish also needs to get on an "Adventures of Ace and Tegan" box set (and Jo, since she pretty much has been doing the same Protecting Earth gig). Amazing to see William Russell too...the only guy left from Day One Episode One.

It was a bit contrived that everyone would just bail when the Doctor was out cold, and the way she pushed Yaz out, but I suppose the All By Myself regeneration is needed now when you switch showrunners, to give a clean slate.

It was very wise of Chibnall to avoid his Timeless Child plot. Jo Martin was used well though, perhaps the only good thing to come of it. It could have been tempting for him to either try to retcon it out as the main plot of this, or double down on it, but he didn't. Jodie got to go out in a very 13 way, relying on her Fam to save the day, which was really (as far as I could tell, having dipped out the last couple years,) the theme of this Doctor. A shame the goggle wearing engineer Doctor which seemed to have been an intended trait but which was dropped only came in as a callback though.

I definitely have high hopes for RTD2, and it's great he's getting a great lead-in to the new era.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s a testament to the quality of the actors who’ve played The Master that it’s consistently very hard to rank them from least favourite to favourite. Aside from the crispy Masters being the least favourite and Roger Delgado being at the very top.

I settle on instead of ranking them, appreciating them for their different characteristics.

Like what makes Dhawan so great is how he combines suaveness with psychopathic rage. All the Masters, when not extra crispy, could be suave and charming (except maybe Roberts, who was pure Menace). Missy acted insane and unpredictable but it seemed she was in total control and calculating all her weirdness. Simm you have to break down into 3 separate personalities: his manic first era, where he was the bizarro version of 10 driven mad by the DRUMMING THE CONSTANT DRUMMING can't you hear it? 2nd was batshit meat eating hungry Master, who was barely a whole person, and his final appearance where he was just cold and serious.

Now the first Simm is most like Dhawan, because he could be charming and then break off into rage. But Dhawan takes it to another level. He's more in control, calculating, and gleeful about his elaborate plans, but you sense a real undercurrent of Roberts style MENACE he can't control which is about to come out and loving KILL YOU!

Also today I learned:
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-the-power-of-the-doctor-rasputin-explained/

quote:

In “How The Monk Got His Habit”, Peter Harness, the writer behind “The Zygon Invasion/Inversion” pitched a story that would have seen the 12th Doctor encounter a previous version of his erstwhile nemesis, the Meddling Monk (from the First Doctor story, “The Time Meddler”). While “Time Meddler” saw the Monk interfering with the Battle of Hastings as part of an epic to do list of interfering with known history, this version (which would have been played by Matt Berry) only wanted one thing: to go backwards in time and meet Gregori Rasputin, and play him the song, “Ra Ra Rasputin” by Afro-German-Caribbean vocal group, Boney M. It turns out that song appearing in Doctor Who is a fixed point in time.

Forget the Rasputin story...we NEED to have Matt Berry as the Meddling Monk.

I mean, of course he won't do it, not after the last time. It could have been anyone in that mask!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Japanese translation of Doctor Who is loving terrible - NHK picked it up several years in after it became a minor hit in Korea out of some sort of regional rivalry, got a translator who couldn't understand even a single line of dialogue from the doctor and appeared to be working without a copy of the script, and then dropped it after a series.

Would The Timeless Child plot make more or less sense if poorly translated to Japanese without a script and then back to English? Because I don't think it could be worse than what we got...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Couldn't even give Yaz a loving hug at the end. Shameful and disappointing.

That said, man oh man I hope yall are on board for Russel T Davies Big Gay Agenda cause shits about to get camp

Camp and maudlinly emotional, but at least we know what we're going into. This is the guy who brought us Rose and the Doctor being twee and insufferable to everyone around them (Tooth and Claw) and Jesus Doctor. And ending every season on ridiculously higher existence ending stakes.

But like Moffat, when he's good, he's amazing, and he knows how to write characters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking forward to 2025 when we're all mad at RTD again and talk about how we always hated him.

And then we'll be on to Moffat 2: Still Not Ginger

Payndz posted:

It'll turn out that every single human in history was actually a chameleon-arched Doctor. Rose? The Doctor. Sarah Jane? The Doctor. Professor Marius? The Doctor. Shakespeare, Leonardo, Nero? All the Doctor.

So basically when we saw The Master Race, he had already become The Doctor without a forced regeneration? :v:

Mooseontheloose posted:

RTD (with Martha excepted to a degree) wrote the companions to have a bit more depth to them. Rose was a working class girl who wanted to leave her circumstances behind, Matha was a doctor who is naturally intelligent and empathetic, Donna (once she becomes more curious) is headstrong and will not take your poo poo.

Moffat by contrast: Amy likes the doctor, Rory likes Amy, Clara likes the Doctor, Potts and Nardole are the only ones whose main chrematistics are curious and not enamored with the doctor.

Ok, let's be fair, quite a bit of Martha was "Martha likes the Doctor." And Rose was that for 9, but when he became 10 it was "Rose likes the Doctor (and the Doctor likes her)".

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Coward posted:

This is why I just couldn't watch the animations. I really love the Second Doctor and Troughton's performance, and a lot of it comes from the interaction of his line delivery, physicality, facial expression and reaction to the other actors. None of that is successfully captured with the animations, and just leaves me cold when I should be delighted.

And are you loving serious? The ABC can no longer air Doctor Who? I am struggling to find words to express how... offended? I am.

This is your first warning from King Charles of what you can expect if you try to leave the Commonwealth...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/CyberneticDaisy/status/1585128710453481472
...Have aliens ever actually tried to invade Australia? Or do the memes scare them away?

quote:

The Fleet's descending. They're bombing whole continents. Europa, Pacifica, the New American Alliance. Australasia's just gone.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Class3KillStorm posted:

What's struck me is that, during Jodie's run, it looks like there was a lot of pressure from the BBC to push 10th Doctor stuff as a way to prop up the brand, as if all of the sexist manchildren complaining about her were more representative of the fanbase as a whole than they were. So it seemed like, anytime there was a 13th Doctor book or comic or video game or whatever, 10 would have to be part of it too, or there'd be a corresponding 10th Doctor title launched alongside or soon after. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt like there was a glut of 10th Doctor stuff being released the last few years in a way that hadn't been there during Smith or Capaldi's run.

And that has definitely helped push further 10 fatigue, at least on my side. I know that Tennant will only be hanging around for a few specials and then will hopefully disappear again for a long while on the show proper (I'm sure he'll still pop up in Big Finish occasionally), but I'm kind of tired of 10 being so present. Hopefully Ncuti gets a chance to be the Doctor first and foremost during his tenure and the BBC doesn't try to undercut him with so much past Doctor merch and presence. But if his first year doesn't do a big turnaround from the Chibnall era numbers I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't continue, sadly.

Look at it this way. This is RTD getting 10 out of his system straight away. This was always going to happen. Might as well knock it out now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One plot hole that kind of struck me was: did they actually wrap up the problems in 1916?

As it was, they destroyed the Daleks in the volcanos and the Cybermen in UNIT HQ in 2022, but aren't there still a few Cybermen and Daleks in St Petersburg in 1916? And literally one can restart converting people to their race?

And did the timeline change so Rasputin just disappeared instead of being shot, stabbed, poisoned, drowned, etc? Is Rasputin's penis still on display in a museum in the world of Doctor Who 2022?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Can you provide a link that says that? Googling "Doctor Who Disney plus" doesn't show anything contradicting that report.

E: also, why would it be "scaremongering"? It doesn't scare me because I don't like modern DW as it is so Disney getting their hands on it means nothing to me, and I'd think your average modern DW fan in the street would be psyched to get a MCU-style DW with a big budget so they can get even more sweeping emotional moments that are completely unearned. :v:

I dunno, take your pick: Who has a strong leftist audience so there's natural opposition to Disney. Who's British, Disney is American, so the nationalists get mad. A lot of fans are worried about change full stop.

Beyond which, just because you're not scared doesn't mean that the original article wasn't blatant scaremongering. Unless you think the headline "As Jodie Wittaker Exits, should the BBC bin the timelord?" was written in an act of good faith reporting.

Whether something bothered you is not the litmus test by which something is judged as "scaremongering" or not lmfao.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have no idea why you're having a go at me about this, but whatever.

Also again, nobody's providing any proof to the contrary.

Cleretic posted:

If I said that the Earth has seventeen invisible moons, would you require direct evidence to the contrary before calling me out as full of poo poo?

I'm not? I'm just trying to talk about your argument and leverage a counterargument against it.

Sorry if my tone didn't come across. It's something I'm working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCtsjn_hJms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Is she sucking the regeneration energy out of 13's eyeball so she doesn't change?