Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was some 11th doctor audio which involved him having to coordinate with all of the other doctors via garbled messages to solve a major problem across time and space. Something like that would be a good model for the 60th anniversary. Try to get any actor who ever appeared on the series, old or new, involved in some way, even if just for quick easter egg cameos or to play extras, while keeping the bulk of the story on maybe just like... 13->14 8 and 9 teaming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still liked Spyfall

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If RTD brought Eleven back and paired him with Donna and/or Wilf, even if just for a couple episodes, I do have to say that might just pique my interest. :v:

Rather than bring back Eleven I'd rather see Smith (or actually any other doc) come back and do a new interpretation, just to make things interesting.

DO A MULTIDOC SPECIAL WHERE THE ACTORS AND ROLES ARE SCRAMBLED

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I frankly zoned out half way through it :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always recommend Demons of the Punjab, too. It's not perfect but where it shines, it shines.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chibnall frontloaded their backstories and traits instead of letting personalities come out, especially with Ryan. All of the good companions over the years just started with a basic stock premise and a personality, and then those identifying traits and backstory came out over time, inserted where it was needed. Donna's was "is bridezilla" and they just let her chew the scenery.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The only things I've ever watched that have that dude in them are those two Doctor Who episodes so I have a neutral-to-mildly-positive view of him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What if the cybermen were augmented humans who signed up voluntarily but then got fully cyberconverted and became victims after they failed to pay monthly subscription fees for their new hardware and the villain is like "hahaha you should have read the end user license agreement muuaahahaha you must survive!".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My #1 all-time favourite companion

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

do we know when we get more of this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I asked a higher-level magic player about these Doctor Who sets and for the most part the cards are just going to be reprints of other magic cards with new flavour names, so hypothetical e.g. "Dalek Blast (Lightning Bolt) R Instant Deal 3 damage to any target."

In other words there's going to be virtually no new game content designed around Doctor Who - it's literally just taking existing cards and scrawling "existing card but doctor who" on it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

From what I know the previous sets like this have kinda gone both ways; the Fortnite cards were all reprints, but the Street Fighter one actually tried for new cards fighting game-inspired mechanics.

Doesn't really bother me either way, though; I don't play Magic, so even if it's old it'll be new to me. And as funny as it would be to see the Cybermen become a meta deck, what's probably a bit more feasible on Wizards' side of things is to take existing decks they know are welcoming and package them for a new audience.

Yeah, but because of this approach Cybermen can't become a meta deck - the reprint cards will only be able to replace the base cards people are already playing in other decks, much like a foil card or whatever, and any new cards that get printed in special decks like this can really only go into certain entirely inaccessible (a cheap deck costs $1000) competitive formats.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're excited for them as doctor who swag, that's fine and enjoy, but just be aware it's about the same as a McDonalds collector cup in terms of merchandising. Also be prepared for these decks to be extremely hard to find as scalpers tend to scoop these things up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

I still haven’t watched the Sea Devils episode

I watched it and I can't remember it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Rumour has it that Sacha Dhawan has been persuaded to stay on as the Master into the RTD2 era. Hope that’s true, as it’s a great performance that deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

gently caress yes I quite like him. I've seen some comments that he's just a Dollar General Poundland version of Simm, being crazy and wacky or whatever, but that's not how I'm reading the performance. I love how he's always just on the edge of cracking up because he's fixated on imagining how funny everything is going to be when his plan works.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe resurrect the spoiler thread if the info starts to be about the content of episodes. I'm pretty spoiler adverse generally but the basic casting the news being that there is not a recasting information we've been discussing here doesn't make me feel as if there's a quarrantine problem

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Payndz posted:

That episode (the one where I stopped watching) had such a schizophrenic tone. Ashildir telling the Doctor how he'd cursed her to outlive her children and everyone else she ever cared about? Great. Wacky peasant comedy and crappy lion-man blowing stuff up? Awful. For some reason that was the last straw for me, even though there had been plenty of stuff previously that was objectively worse (not least 'Kill The Moon' and 'Forest of the Night') - maybe it was just that Twelve himself was not a character I wanted to spend any more time with, as he'd become actively obnoxious in a way not even Six managed.

(Even though people keep saying Twelve's final season was great, I'm still put off watching it because I can't help thinking it'll be Twelve at his Twelviest and Moffat being maximally Moffatty - I'd had enough of his schtick by then too.)

Yeah you're just not right here. Twelve's final season isn't simply "great," it has what's probably the best standalone episode of the revival. You're just depriving yourself of something you'll enjoy by being stubborn about an episode that basically nobody remembers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's likely that Thompson's costume was based off Truss, as she wore that outfit before Years and Years started filming and there aren't many "blonde female high profile Tory politicians" to take inspiration from.

Which episode are you talking about here

Lol wait heaven sent isn't the last season. Whoops

World enough and time is still extremely good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watch the show for its peaks and forget about the valleys. It's the most enjoyable and least heartbreaking that way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love the weird tunnel gremlin man section.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't read the thread yet to catch up but I'm up to the regeneration scene now and this episode was a total chaotic mess that subordinated every plot point to making it as fun as possible and that's all I ever asked from this show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok I was shocked by the ending. I thought all of the rumours about that were just shitposts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoctorWhat posted:

Capaldi's real regeneration story is top tier, but the Christmas append is wack.

like so many things doctor who (and especially/incidentally like most of Chibnal) that Christmas special had things to like about it but it just didn't come together as a whole. I enjoyed the broad strokes of the story with 1 and 12 meditating on mortality, but their individual little adventure wasn't good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Infinitum posted:

Dhawan just might be my favourite Master.

Dude is just a walking talking threatening aura.

"I can absolutely categorically pinky-promisey confirm this is no empty threat"
"Your Dad was an idiot"
"Yes yes take me away, you'll all feel safer with ME in the BUILDING"
"Just trying to lighten the tone before you all die"

Straight up villain.

For me it's a toss-up between him and Missy, though tbf pretty much all of them are great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wyld Karde posted:

Oh man, since the degeneration back into Jodie the regeneration mechanism's stuck in reverse gear. Tennant had better look after himself or he'll end up turning into McCoy.

there's a terrible banking commercial rotating through my podcasts right now that's along the lines of "My father in law has to accept me if I dress just like him!"

:thunk:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh another thing -

I caught cameos or nods to docs 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 and 10 along the way. Were there any references to Pertwee or the other revival docs that slipped by me?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My assessment in the moment was "chaotic mess, but fun" and I stand by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gently caress i just realized that Flux should have been the setup/lead-in to Power of the Doctor, instead of whatever it was. All of the different parts we've been discussing/identifying could have been whole episodes of their own driving to the special as a finale after a cliffhanger