Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

We never needed Patrick Troughton more than the last special where the Doctor opens up the TARDIS to show the rebuilt console room and it's still the empty dark mess it's been the last 2 seasons :negative:

You've... You haven't done anything.

.......I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alright, I'm finally going to say it. I don't think that guy meant that the slab was giving him a blowjob.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What sort of "love life" were they having then

I don't know. Maybe they make out, or she croons ELO in a sexy voice while he jerks off, or she watches while he has sex with a Zygon that's taking her shape, or any other number of cringeworthy scenarios. The way she's cemented in, it doesn't seem realistic that she could blow him, even if he is holding the slab and even if he has a pretty tiny wiener, and, furthermore, the way she says "Oh, let's not get into all that" seems to imply that it is more complicated and weird than a blowjob.

I think the intention behind the line is to imply that even despite only realizing they were in love just before her condition, they live a full-throated romance with all of their needs met. Obviously that is preposterous and the choice to have the Doctor "save" her by giving her a fate worse than death was a bad one (it's Doctor Who, there are no rules, why couldn't he have just saved her in a way that left her as a regular person and spouted some technobabble about how he did it as the surprise?). It does ruin an otherwise decent, if silly, episode. But "blowjob slab" is a meme not supported by the text, and I stand by that!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Occam's razor holds that, if you have two competing ideas or solutions to a problem, the simplest one is the correct answer.

Put another way: he was sticking his knob in the paving stone's gob

Your honor. Members of the jury. Assembled press. I would submit that her sucking him off is far from the simplest interpretation of the text. Consider: she only has part of her mouth so his dingus would be hitting the concrete uncomfortably, or else she would just be licking the tip a little. Additionally, while it is possible she can spit most of his semen out in this laughable hypothetical, some of it would no doubt splatter the "slab" that her face is stuck in, and the only way to clean it up would be through her mouth, which would be hugely unpleasant for her. There are clearly too many logistics and questions involved for this to be Occam's razor. Plus, the phrase "into all that" (emphasis mine) indicates that what they are referencing is not in fact the simplest solution; indeed, it seems to imply that it is something so bizarre that it would take detailed explanation for those of us with non pavement slab partners to understand.

In fact, *chuckling* I'd go so far as to say that line is... blown out of proportion? Why the obsession with it, in an ending where someone experiencing a horrible fate is supposed to be a happy ending, is what... sucks.

Your witness.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Quoting the definition at me doesn't change the fact that it's not the simplest solution. I think youre ignoring the more... concrete evidence.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's a drat sight simpler than "shags a Zygon" or whatever other convoluted scenarios you hypothesized, but I also think we've wrung enough puns out of this particular slab to last this thread a good long while :v:

I demand satisfaction from all the Team Blowjob people. Someone make a thread in Debate and Discussion where they respect evidence and citations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

From Moschino’s 2022 collection:

This looks like if the Sixth Doctor visited Willy Wonka and asked the chocolatier to make him a suit entirely made of candy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The fanart of Dan/Karvanista that did the rounds on Twitter is canon, apparently.

https://twitter.com/robritchie409/status/1479939343024336898

lol, he's a good sport about it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Eleventh Doctor really did get around:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-matt-smith-doctor-who-2022-calendar/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The John Bishop stuff is hilarious but nothing made me belly-laugh quite as much as seeing 11 in that calendar next to Buffy :lol:

He just looks like he fits lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Buffy the Vampire Slayer stole the "speculative fiction on Fox filmed with rubber masks" slot from the Eighth Doctor so it's only fair that he crashed their calendar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zaroff posted:

The trouble with that whole calendar thing is that they stole the image online without contacting the original artist.

Which is pretty lovely, and depending on how widespread the calendar was released could get them in trouble were the artist particularly litigious...

Yeah, it does suck, and it's a common problem with these kinds of calendars. The "stealing fandom edits" is actually the better version - the worse one is the companies that will search online for pin-up photos with a theme and include them without asking permission of the people in the photos, which happens literally every year.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

First clip of Michael Troughton as the Second Doctor

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1480886968821198848?s=20

Gotta say, I think Frazier Hines was a much better soundalike.

To be fair, Patrick Troughton may have made some unholy deal that allows him to just inhabit Frazier Hines for performances, it would be difficult to top.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

So are there any RTD era characters or locations you’d like to see return when the show runner mantle passes?

I was about to say Wilf and I guess if Bernard Cribbins wants to do it, sure, but he's 93 and his wife died like three months ago. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's probably worse for other shows than it is for Doctor Who, because the show has proven international appeal, nostalgia value and a successful producer is already attached to it. It's a brand. It explains not only why Davies is attached but why he's been talking about it the way that he does, focusing on an expanded universe and whatnot. I would bet that HBO has had their eye on the rights to make Doctor Who material for awhile now, so they can give it the same treatment they gave Sesame Street. This is just going to be the way TV is for awhile, I guess. It sucks for the next potential show like Doctor Who, something weird and quirky that's hard to describe and market. There's going to be like fifteen years where all of those die on the vine.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had been a little behind, so I watched the previous seasons's two-parter finale, the Flux season and the New Year special all at once, and I think the New Year's special was a big improvement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Corbyn cheerfully handing a big jar of something called "carrot jam" to Six, who walks away frowning and whispering "Doesn't he look anti-semitic?" to one of his aides.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm not sure where to post this, but last night I had a dream that I was working on a Doctor Who special. Matt Smith (who preferred to be called "Eleven" in real life) was back and his companion was Roger Rabbit (I had been hired to do the voice for Roger). Frankly, it kind of worked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

If there's going to be any sort of animated/CG companion it's going to be a goddamned shapeshifting penguin.

I'm on board with this if Frobisher has the same terrible American accent, it's part of the charm.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Maybe I'm just clueless or naive, but does anyone know why Who fans are so goddamn angry all the time? Just saw a fan compare Chibnall's run to domestic abuse!? Why does this happen? Seriously chill out, it's just a television show. No need for the vitriol and even threatening language.

I think Ian Levine called RTD's revival of the show "worse than the Nazis" or something similar. Being Extremely Mad online is an easy trap to fall into, there was that one guy who posted here for years about how he hated everyone in the thread for having different opinions from him. We've all probably fallen victim to it a little at some point, some people just never come back from it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight on the random who watch we finished the back half of THE
WAR
GAMES

and, while it sagged a bit in episodes 7 and 8, remains excellent. The Time Lords essentially not giving a poo poo that there are enemy goons running around with guns because what are they going to do? Hurt a Time Lord? Pfft is so much better than, say, The Invasion of Time.

Also helps that the set design is great throughout, the music never stops being anxiety inducing and the direction is very stylish - esp for the era.

The War Games is my favorite depiction of the Time Lords, it's the only time they come off as terrifying and staid instead of silly and staid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Give Peri her own spinoff you cowards.

Not that it's likely, but RTD taking over and trying for a shared universe thing is actually the best chance we have of that happening. iirc The original idea behind the Sarah Jane Adventures was to have another retired Who companion like Katy Manning take the reigns eventually when Elizabeth Sladen wanted to move on, but in the end, it felt disrespectful when the reason for her departure was, well... her death. I wouldn't be shocked if he tries for a rotating Classic Who Companion show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jamie, Leela and Ace being sent on missions by a constantly exasperated Romana.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I really hope RTD can convince every living actor who ever guessed on DW to come back for a cameo.

Is Sgt Benton still alive?

Maybe not Yates.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Clickbait articles love to lead with things like FANS CONFUSED OVER LATEST EPISODE - IS DOCTOR WHO SLIPPING? and HUGE RATINGS DROP FOR DOCTOR WHO!! without any kind of evidence for it. It's particularly loathsome because they already have the classic "[ACTOR] JUST CONFIRMED WHAT WE ALL EXPECTED ABOUT [OTHER ACTOR'S] ON SET BEHAVIOR!" that lets them lure people in (to what inevitably turns out to be some harmless "They were a pleasure to work with"), instead of inventing stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

As long as they put some of the good writers on this and get her a good companion this could be fun. Not that my opinion matters, it's been years since I listened to Big Finish because my commute got shorter. Plus they have like 600 Doctor Who lines now so their writing probably gets stretched a little thin.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Mind Robber rules, especially for a serial that had a bunch of weird production issues. It's like a Jasper Fforde story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who's absolutely wildly varying quality is part of its charm IMO. I think Chibnall's run has probably been the weakest overall of the three revival showrunners, but "the equivalent of styrofoam packing material" doesn't feel fair to me. I think he erred a little on the side of safety for his first season and then went overboard with a bunch of crazy ideas. Flux wasn't good but it was sure as hell both weird and enjoyable (and honestly, they had a lot working against them), the Yaz/Doctor romance has its issues, but I think his heart was in the right place with it, and RTD can pick and choose what to bring forward, if anything, from the additions to the "lore."

I look forward to new episodes because sometimes they're fun! Sometimes even when the episodes are bad! If anything, the Timeless Child thing has taught me that Doctor Who's premise is so open-ended and malleable that it's hard to permanently "ruin" the show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's okay to enjoy things that are mediocre, which, if we're being terribly honest, describes most of Doctor Who.

Don't worry, Doctor. It seems like every showrunner, something continuity-altering happens to the Time Lords. My advice is to ride it out, make an occasional smark-aleck post, and by the time Jerusalem is finished with his gifs, we'll be back where we started from, ready for another wacky adventure!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are times when you want to watch something challenging and moving, something well-crafted and poignant that uses pathos to encourage deep thoughts and emotions about society or the human condition, and you want to devote yourself to absorbing it fully. There are also times when you've had a long day and you want to unwind via entertainment. While both of those are subjective, the latter in particular is, because people's lived experiences change what sort of stories, images, phrases and music are enjoyable to them. "So bad it's good" is even more difficult to nail down. There are few universal truths about fiction and what is "good" or "bad" for you, except that you should not play MMORPGs, watch Star Trek: Voyager or try to remake Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if Rusty can get Chris to come back for the 60th.

Not that he has ever said it directly, but I think Rusty is where some of the ill will is directed, unfortunately. I'm reading between the lines a little bit, but it seems like Eccleston took issue with how one of the directors was treating the cast (and more specifically, Billie Piper), and doesn't feel like the producers were there to back him up.

He almost definitely would have come back for the 50th if his reviewing the script hadn't come right at the same time as all that "You are erased from Doctor Who!" stuff, but I think that was probably the last chance. :(

I'd be happy to be wrong, his take on the Doctor would interact really well with almost any of the others.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the Unbound series is weird because it has some of Big Finish's best stories but, also, some of its worst, and in both cases that's really saying something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Torchwood being horrendous is a thread meme. It's why some people were wary of Chibnall being showrunner.

I think it's true of the first two seasons, but my recollection is that season 3 (Children of Men) is really good even when compared to shows that aren't Torchwood and Miracle Day was an interesting premise that never found its place all the way. Davies was mostly responsible for Children of Men and Jane Espenson did Miracle Day, so both are understandably basically different shows from the Chibnall stuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The bad one is called Exile. It's a shame that it's bad because it's an early attempt at having a woman play the Doctor, but they just play every note wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

I mean, Chibnall's first ever episode for the entire Doctor Who franchise was the sentient sex gas episode.

The second one was the one with Ol' Shiny Tits.

To be completely fair, his third attempt, "Countrycide", did give us Captain Jack in a ruddy great tractor.

Still, one good episode out of four in both series ("Adrift" is fantastic and I will not hear slander against it :colbert:) isn't really a good enough record.

Oh, yeah, it's not an unfair thread meme or an unfair reason to be wary. The first two seasons of Torchwood sucked real bad, and even the better episodes are tainted by how much the beginning of the show makes you hate most of the characters. I don't think there's a single point in the series where Owen is likeable. It's been awhile, but I also feel like they made several half-hearted attempts to redeem him before immediately making him unnecessarily hateful again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I thought I'd listen to that one first to get it over with. First impressions are poor. It's bad comedy and even David Tennant can't save that. The concept isn't bad; a Doctor who gave up and retreated to a pre-An Unearthly Child state of just keeping her head down and not doing anything is a good starting point for a story. And then holy gently caress, Time Lords who regenerate by committing suicide become women to punish the consciousness of the regeneration that did that. And this is apparently doing this is some great affront to the Time Lords. Yeah, that's a real low point for Big Finish.

I had that in spoilers initially, but it's incidental to the plot and something that lovely shouldn't be buried.

I'd forgotten a lot of that, lol, it's so bad. I think it's also the one where the Doctor is drunk the whole time, but for some reason it feels like it was acted, written by and directed by a group of people who have never encountered alcohol in their entire lives. It probably has more weird burping in it than the first season of Rick and Morty.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the current composer. He manages to sneak a little of the Murray Gold bombast in without overwhelming things. I liked Murray too, but the change was fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a little like Jeffrey Tambor and Arrested Development in that the way he was bad feels a little too close to his character in a way that makes a lot of it hard to watch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I miss Gold’s leitmotifs though.

Yeah, me too. I do hope some of those come back, whoever takes the reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

The composer is OK, but whoever has been doing the sound mixing for the last few years needs a good slap. I've had to watch the last 3 or so seasons with subtitles on as the music and sound effects blow out most of the dialogue in the show most of the time.

This feels like everything lately. I've tried tweaking my own sound settings so many times, but it always feels like you're either getting blown away by sound effects or the dialogue is a whisper. Also the opening credits for everything are like three times as loud as the rest of the show. I have gotten very "old man yells at cloud" about sound mixing.