Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How does the class system work? Do you pick a base class like Warrior or Mage and then promote to an advanced class like Paladin later? Or do you pick your "real" class at the start and things like Warrior, Mage, etc. are just groupings?

Also: is this the kind of game where playing a support like Paladin kinda sucks solo due to low damage or do they do enough damage and are engaging enough to play that leveling is still pretty fun? (Or is this the kind of game where you don't really solo in the first place? To be honest I know little about it outside of watching some flashy gameplay videos that look cool.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzachel posted:

This video linked in the last thread goes into the support class mechanics and all the classes. tldr: leveling and pvp you can do reasonable damage but pve requires you to spec into support stats so your damage falls off pretty hard.

Ah cool, that makes sense. I don't know what I'm going to play yet but it makes sense that you'd need to spec for support and not damage for group content.

Is it just a matter of having different gear sets or would you need to go respec to go back and forth?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think people are being negative. I think a lot of people saying this isn't a Diablo-like ARPG are still interested in the game, they're just trying to make it clear what it is and what it isn't. I can see how "isometric action-MMO" isn't the same thing as "MMO ARPG" but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, just not what some people might be expecting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For a Paladin, how much of a pain is it to respec between group support builds and soloing builds?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was all set to play Paladin but Striker just looks way too fun to pass up, looks really kinetic and weighty

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"Game strongly encourages alts" is a really strong selling point for me, gotta be honest

One of my favorite things about GW2 is how much it encourages you to have a fleet of alts to play, so more of that is always nice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm waffling hard between Striker (which looks extremely cool and fun) and Paladin (which looks less immediately fun but being able to easily get groups as a support really appeals). Picking a class is hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zotix posted:

1) with launching with only two, we had plenty of time to do the horizontal progression stuff which now will put a strain on the more casual players.

Yeah this is the thing that kinda worries me. I'm probably going to be a pretty casual player and also I want to play more than one class, but I'm getting the feeling from reactions to this that I'll be left behind with nobody to play with if I don't commit to one class and go hard on gearing it up ASAP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zotix posted:

2) This is a game that rewards alts. Do you need alts? No, but the more you have the more gold you can produce weekly. There are fulltime LA players on Korea that have 20+ alts. Every one of those alts needed to be leveled up and played through content. I know people in most MMO's roll up an alt or 2, but in Lost Ark it's not uncommon for the average player like 6 months in to be running 3-5 characters or more to complete dailies. You have 1-2 mains, and the rest are feeding resources into those mains.

This part really appeals to me, so that helps ease my concerns a bit. I love an MMO that encourages having a fleet of alts (like GW2) and enough of the classes in Lost Ark look fun that I'm sure there are at least a few I'll want to play a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've decided I'm rolling a Paladin first because one of my favorite archetypes is "healer with a sword" and while I'm not super into the whole holy magic thing it still looks very cool. (I realize "support" in Lost Ark isn't straight-up "healer" but, y'know, shields and buffs and stuff are still extremely my poo poo.)

After that we'll see! A lot of classes look fun. Maybe Sorceress or Wardancer next.

Is there any indication of how long it'll be before they start adding in the classes that won't be there at launch? Not a specific timeline necessarily but "a couple months" to "check back next year" or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lmao perhaps I have overestimated the need for supports if everyone and their intelligent gamer dog is rolling Paladin

Maybe I’ll go with something else to start then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watching that video is kind of amusing because I know Striker and Wardancer are sort of gender-swapped counterparts (Striker was added to be a male version of Wardancer I think?), with some differences to justify being a different class, but drat Wardancer looks so much cooler in action than Striker. I'm not sure why but I can just tell by watching them that Wardancer seems a lot faster and more dynamic (at least aesthetically) despite being mostly the same class.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sindai posted:

I'm not sure but I think a lot of this comes down to whether the build you're watching pumps agility or not, because it affects attack and movement speed.

That's another thing I was thinking about. The fact that Agility affects movement speed means I might end up finding it hard to play anything that doesn't pump Agility. I hate moving slow. Gotta go fast.

Do Paladins need Agility at all? I feel like probably not and as a result I might be one of those "starts as a Paladin and switches" people if it means I have to be a big, slow, lumbering glacier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh wait I looked at a build guide and Paladins do use Agility :toot:

Wow, a holy knight class that isn't super slow and immobile, fancy that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Youtube guides are nice when they show actual gameplay examples. It's helpful for me to see what they're talking about actually play out on the screen. But I hate the style of Youtube guide where it's just someone showing static images and text and talking for a half hour. In that case I would much, much rather just read it.

It's the worst when I see a build/class guide on Youtube and it's just someone with the character sheet/skill tree up rambling and pointing at things with their cursor for like 45 minutes. The worst.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Playing too many alts is usually the reason I fall behind in other MMOs, so this will be a nice change.

:same:

I similarly appreciate GW2's extreme alt-friendliness, where almost everything is account-wide so you're never really falling behind on your "main" by playing alts. The things they're gaining are useful to your whole account.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To make sure I'm understanding: there are daily and weekly tasks that are character-level instead of account-level, but the rewards from those can be shared to other characters on your account. So if you run multiple alts that lets you get daily and weekly rewards more often than if you're running just one character, right?

And it's not like "you need to keep all of these characters completely current and play them all equally," just "you can get more goodies by having some side characters you do dailies/weeklies on before spending most of your time on your main."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That video sold me pretty effectively on Paladin. Front-line support is my poo poo.

That said Gunlancer is also looking mighty tempting and that might be what I level second.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm just confused from the limited smattering of f2p games having catches like limited character slots or gimped progression I don't know how much of a issue I'll have at the 15 dollar level or if I even need it

From what I've read you have 6 character slots for free, and it's generally a good idea to have a few alts to get more daily rewards, so if you end up not loving your first character, no big deal, they can just be an alt. There's a point at which you start investing heavily in a character at endgame but I'd imagine you'll know if you like a class well before you reach that point with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah if you're hesitant about Paladin because you're worried about leveling, it doesn't seem like that'll be too much of a problem. Paladin has a DPS build and while you won't do as much damage as a pure DPS, from what I've seen it's perfectly fine for leveling and solo endgame stuff like Chaos Dungeons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

edit: the game director just dissed amazon on stream for screwing up :bravo:

Dunno how many people here paid attention to New World but get used to this. AGS are absolute masters at miscommunication and confusion.

I write things like release notes and customer-facing communications for a living so it's extra funny to me to imagine what the gently caress must be going on to lead to the sheer frequency of miscommunication that goes on with AGS. My only guess is that they frequently change things after sending info to whoever's writing the release notes and then don't follow up, and then there's no review process in place to catch these things before they're published.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only goal for today is to snag a couple of names that aren't absolutely atrocious. I recognize that even if I log on right at launch this is unlikely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

i need to watch a youtube video on the classes, I have no idea whats cool to play

This one seems good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpn6_CYsTrE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my first three classes are going to be Paladin, Soulfist, and Scrapper. Gunlancer's up there, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gepgepgep posted:

How friendly is this game if I want to play 5 hours/week? Am I going to never progress? Will I ever be viable in pvp matches?

I think PvP is fully equalized so you don't have to worry about level, gear, or skill points to compete in PvP. Everyone's on the same footing there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll be honest, I'm just impressed that they found a new way to gently caress up that they didn't already do with New World.

New World let you download and decrypt the client before launch. You could open it and just look at the empty server list if you wanted. The decision to not allow the client to decrypt until the exact moment of launch (or, y'know, head start) is absolutely bonkers and I can only vaguely guess as to why that's what they decided to do.

New World's launch was wildly hosed up (lmao 2000 player server cap) but this is a new one even for AGS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hate the fact that I want my characters to have actual names and not just, like, screen names because everything decent I can come up with is already taken :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You can sit around and wait for big spear lady later but no swords, just like guys cant cast spells

Guys can cast spells! As long as they're holy spells, and the guy is a Paladin

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The combat is really fun but I'm kind of already fatigued of clicking through NPC dialogue to progress quests. I knew going in that this isn't A Diablo but I sorta wish it was and I could just go out and smash things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made a two martial artists yesterday (one to be a Scrapper, and one to be a Soulfist) but this Soulfist talk has me thinking maybe I'll go Wardancer with the second one instead

That said, question: I didn't get a chance to play too much yesterday, but when I stopped I was in the middle of spam-clicking through really boring dialogue while being sent around the first town to talk to what seemed to be every NPC. Does that kind of thing let up soon? I kinda want to just go smash things. I don't mind story in my MMOs (obviously, I play FFXIV) but that was already kinda wearing me down.

Also I'm mad that the game won't let me change the interact key because G is a really weird choice for it :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my very, very early game impressions so far are

1. Combat feels fantastic

2. Controls are kinda weird but I'm sure I'll get used to them

3. I wish I could zoom the camera out further (maybe I can? Is there a setting for that?)

4. Please tell me the endless NPC dialogue thins out at some point and I can just go fight monsters and do the fun part

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Male mages all over the story, apparently men can be wizards only if they’re not playable :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

edit: wait never mind I was looking at the wrong thing, please ignore this question

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 10, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Is it dumb to go with a support class like a bard as my first character? I'll be playing with a friend most likely and always like playing as healers/support but if it's going to suck leveling then maybe I won't bother.

Not at all dumb, no. You'll be able to do plenty of damage to get through all the solo leveling stuff. Same for Paladin. Both classes have lots of damage skills and leveling builds put skill points into those so you do more damage. You won't really start seriously sacrificing damage for support in a build until endgame when you start getting into engravings and stuff, I'm pretty sure.

It's actually your support abilities that you tend to have to wait for higher levels for. IIRC both Paladin and Bard have pretty limited support at low levels so you'll mostly just be acting like a DPS for the early levels anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Cool, thanks. Paladin/Bard are pretty much the two choices if I wanted to go that route then?

Yeah, right now Paladin and Bard are the only two supports. There's another that I think recently came out in Korea (or is coming out soon) but who knows when it'll come to NA/EU.

This video was really helpful for me to decide which one I wanted to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvOEInEE-M

Both classes are really good and equally desired in groups, so it just comes down to which one you think you'd have more fun playing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I appreciate about Paladin is that you actually want to build Swiftness as part of a good support build. I'm so used to Paladins in other MMOs being really immobile and slow, so it's refreshing to be zipping around all over the place with really fast movement and attack speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I find myself badly wishing this game had a version of Diablo 3's Adventure mode for leveling instead of questing. I know Lost Ark is not at all A Diablo despite superficial resemblances but man I just find myself wishing I could run dungeons and smash things to level instead of running around clicking through dialogue, even if it's still not taking a ton of time. The combat's a blast and I feel like all the questing is just getting in the way of the part I want to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of curiosity, is there any way to level alts that isn't "use a power pass" or "do the story again?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is 600g a lot? I don't have a good sense of scale on silver/gold yet :v:

Anyway that's good to know there's another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To be at least a little bit fair, GW2 seems to be a uniquely technically-competent MMO, at least on the server end (graphical performance is another thing entirely, thanks to its old-rear end engine, but still). They also never have to take the servers down to deploy patches or do maintenance or anything like that. GW2 runs circles around every other MMO on the market when it comes to server stability and the whole megaserver system. So I'm not surprised Lost Ark doesn't have anything similar. Nobody really does, which suggests to me it's a lot harder than we might imagine to pull off.