Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Paladins are the best class and in glad others recognize this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

eonwe posted:

my experience with unpacking is that if your internet is great and the game is like, a reasonable size (like I'm sure Lost Ark is) its faster to download it

If your internet is kinda garbo, its best to preload and unpack

looking forward to gaming with ya again eonwe!!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Mat Cauthon posted:

How are the controller options for playing? I don't mind doing the usual keyboard smashing but I wonder the controller would feel a bit more intuitive.

Also interested in this. Having both carpal and cubital makes movement in these types of games painful and wondering of gamepad might be better.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

MarcusSA posted:

The movement is so much better with a controller. It’s gonna take some getting used to with the skills but it’s not too dissimilar to FFXIV where you hold RB+face key or LB+Face key.

Also it’s pretty customizable from what I saw so you can make it work for you.

Some of the UI has issues but it’s doable and overall isn’t too frustrating.

Nice!! Gonna order one and give it a try. Only played 2hr or so today and my hand is back to being an immobile hook due to having to click and steer with my house hand in triggering pose nonstop

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Citizen posted:

That ilvl225 dungeon is pretty cool and the whole city/area around it is a good change of pace. Didn't expect to suddenly be in Midgar and fighting in big battle mechs w/ bonus hoverboard segment. Once the world opens up I'm happy with how different each region is.

I have no idea what this dungeon even was and not sure I'll ever know with my alts getting insta-bootsed to 50 lol

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

arbybaconator posted:

Lost Ark - Lol and Lmao

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Zokari posted:

I wonder what they would have given us if they seriously deleted all characters...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally tried playing with a controller..with some minor edits to the key bindings, this game is so much more enjoyable to play.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Thumbtacks posted:

does it have a natural setup for controller? i can't imagine how it would be set up but i could see this being a LOT more comfortable with one.

I thought the default setup for the abilities was kind of nonsensical, but the worst was the default "g" /interact button. Was all easy enough to change though and being able to walk/move with a joystick rather than point and click to move (painful for periods due to both carpal and cubital issues) makes it all :discourse:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been telling people in area chat that the lore is a ripoff of Indiana Jones what with the ark and the desert nazis and it gets them pretty riled up

lmao

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Adolf Glitter posted:

Everyone is talking about arks and I'm at Lv 35 and no idea that there were even arks in the game lol

:same:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Google Butt posted:

So how are controller players liking this so far

For most of the game it absolutely owns and is much more enjoyable than keyboard. There's a bunch of minor dumb stuff that I can't figure out where/how it's mapped to controller and you'll still need to use keyboard for that maybe. I also needed to remap all of the main attack abilities since the defaults are laid out in a very bizarre manner. If you hate point and click to move or have bad carpal or cubital tunnel issues with your dominant hand, then a controller is a super good comprise imo

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 12, 2022

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Citizen posted:

But quest menus are easy on controller? Just hammer left stick. Every once in a while it may ask me a question but I just keep the pointer in the middle of the screen and always select the first option so who cares.

Hammer left stick will accept, advance, and complete quests. Just as fast/easy as mkb in my opinion

I needed to swap out the standard "g" to something else because pressing down on the hammer left stick was incredibly dumb to me. Ended up swapping it with the down button (that was in a weird controller sub menu) , which as the default voip talk button which is dumb and doesn't need to be mapped

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

deep dish peat moss posted:

Alright I played 10 hours and made it to level 28, almost 29. I'm still pretty sure that bare minimum at least 8.5 of those hours were literally nothing except mashing the G key to skip quest text/NPC dialog. I couldn't imagine anyone reading it because there's that much of it, and it's all incredibly well-written dialog like "I'm Robert! I'm not a child, I'm a peddler! A proud peddler!".

I think I'm throwing in the towel - everyone kept saying it takes about 10 hours to reach level 50 but I'm not even close (I've gone from 10-29 in 10 hours) and I was going as fast as I possibly could. In that entire 10 hours I saw 3 dungeons - 2 were like 2-3 minutes long and were just a straight line with 3 or 4 encounters, and one took waaaaaay too long for no tangible reward and wasn't fun. I also keep hearing that this kind of questing remains a large part of the game experience even after 50 because you want to go through and clear every quest in the game, do level 50 quests for gear, etc - boosting a character even requires some questing apparently?

I've never enjoyed the questing/leveling experience in any MMO but I don't think it has ever been worse than it is in this game, and this is apparently with the entire process majorly streamlined and sped up from the Korean version :confused:

I would much rather just grind mobs to max level but lol, killing an enemy gives 2XP and leveling up takes tens of thousands of XP.

Though people have told me the reason I found combat boring was because I was playing Soulfist, which is an absolute snoozefest of a class that really drops off in power at like... level 16. Such a tiny fraction of my 10 hours played have been actually fighting things though that it wasn't a big hinderance.

Lost Ark: I'm Robert! I'm not a child, I'm a peddler! A proud peddler!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

sharknado slashfic posted:

Man these quests after Sunbright Hill are tedious af. I don't even mind the "story" quests but I do mind being sent back and forth to the same places over and over.

Also I feel shame that I'm only level 33.

Sunbright to lvl 50 is the grind that'll kill most ppl off imo. It's pure... Pisssssssssssssss sssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

HungryHungryHobo posted:

I've actually really been enjoying the questing. It's typical MMO crap but the flow is so much better than most MMO's. For example if I had a set of quests in WoW to "Kill 10 demons, free 5 prisoners, kill named baddie" it'd take me a bit. In this game it's like 5 button presses.

I've also been doing all the sidequests and they are set up really well with the main story and require almost no backtracking.

Imo everything is just so mindlessly linear that they should have just jumped everyone from 0 to 50 rather than just from 0 to 10

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Citizen posted:

Holy poo poo Vertus is the worst fight I've ever had to deal with in any game. He has a stun, a freeze, a slow, and a combo grab that keeps you stuck in it for like 10 seconds while he flings you around and shoots ice beams at your airborne body. He can also carry you from the center of the arena to a corner where it's impossible to dodge out and he can decide to just stand there and hit you until you're dead. Even 80 gear levels over his entry requirement he can just decide to kill you at any moment during a 20 minute fight.

gently caress him forever now that I finally got through it I am never doing that guardian again gently caress

I have bad news for you regarding all the new dungeons :negative:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Citizen posted:

The level 2 guardian after him is totally fine. I’m sure more tough stuff is coming but Vertus wasn’t even a difficult fight just a bad fight. I can’t even remember the last time I got actually angry about a video game fight but here we are

I just remember the circus dungeon with pugs in RU thinking "this will be the moment I quit in NA"

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

explosivo posted:

Lol gently caress this

Tbh the best part of the dungeon was watching everyone try and fail for a straight week as folks tried to even understand what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Pisssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssassssasssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss sss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss ssss 3 sssssssss sssssssss sssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssassssasssssss sssssssssssssssssssssss sss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss sssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssss ssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssss