Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

She’s not very good in both movies honestly. I’m not trying to be mean. It could be the directors fault. She’s better in 6 especially towards the end but yeah. Ortega was the stand out

Melissa Barrera did a good job in VI but she was absolutely poor in Scream V. It didn’t help that Ortega had barely anything to work with in that movie and still managed to act circles around her. When VI was announced I was so convinced they were gonna cut their losses with her.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think Barrera was doomed from the get go. In Scream 5, she just gave a poor performance, which was heightened by the fact her costar outshined her in every scene she was in, sharing the final girl spot, plus Neve Campbell was back and she is beloved, so she had to crush it out of the gate and unfortunately didn't.

Then she does redeem herself in 6 with a stronger performance, but fans were a little salty about Neve Campbell not being in it. And then her costar blew the gently caress up and became a megastar before the movie came out, and everyone is talking about her, and she's hosting SNL opening weekend and being lead guest on the Tonight Show while Barrera is the third guest on a tuesday on Seth Myers.

A bad first impression and Hollywood timing. She never stood a chance.

(For what it's worth, Radio Silence likes working with her and they're doing a movie right now, so maybe she'll be ok regardless.)

fart blood fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

It is inevitable we get a scream with Barrera as one of the killers. When that happens, she should take down any OG character left to really rile up the fanbase.

That would be an awful plot development if she were one of the killers later on.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

Kind of feels like they have been setting it up for two movies. They almost had the killer "win" Scream IV and be the star of V. It just seems inevitable .

The original scream IV idea was also a bad idea. So was the “Stu survived” idea from 3. There’s a reason the ideas were jettisoned.

Making Sam the killer eventually just undoes her entire story, which is “I’m not my father.” The whole “my dad was a killer so that means I might be too” aspect is the worst part of her character anyway. Basically it means the filmmakers want us to root for her for 2-3 movies just to yank the rug from under the story and make her the bad guy. It’s bad storytelling.

And that’s not even getting into the bad taste of the implication that people with mental health problems eventually become serial killers. I don’t think they want that smoke.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

I love the franchise but it isn't above bad storytelling. The most recent film basically ended with "Guess what Mindy, Chad, Kirby, and Gale weren't murdered after all." The last 10 minutes or so undercut the stakes of like 90% of the film. On one level that works because of the franchise theme in VI. On another level, it is classic franchise style bad storytelling. Can't have any legacy characters the audience likes die, gotta keep the franchise going.

Oh the Scream franchise has tons of plot holes, no argument there. poo poo, Scream 6 is one giant plot hole after another, frankly. (I still liked it, but man there’s so many unanswered questions throughout that plot.) But it’s just that ultimately the Scream movies get happy endings. RS feels that way, Williamson feels that way, Wes felt that way. The only one that got an iffy ending was 4 and you can still call it happyish, at least.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
They’re not making a multi-time survivor a Ghostface.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

ElectricSheep posted:

Saw already did it (well, one-time survivor but who's counting)

None of the survivors ever becoming ghostface make any sense. Gale, Tara, Kirby, etc.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Double post, sorry.

I notice online a lot of Scream fans want the series to take more risks and do something crazy, but slasher franchises historically have never handled taking risks very well. Every time a slasher franchise takes risks, that's when it starts falling apart.

Nightmare On Elm Street had some ridiculous movies at the end -- not counting the awesome New Nightmare -- and the (failed) reboot tried to go back to basics.

Friday the 13th did some crazy poo poo like having a telepathic final girl, going to Manhattan, going to space, doing a possession angle, etc. And the (failed) reboot had to retcon half the movies and act like anything after Part 2 never happened.

Halloween had so much ridiculous poo poo and timeline nonsense with the Rob Zombie remakes and the new trilogy that came out recently that like 70% of its films are retconned out of existence. Jamie Lloyd? Who? Huh? Halloween's franchise is so hosed up that Laurie Strode's death was retconned twice.

That's why I'd prefer if Scream just didn't do that. I've been watching Scream from the beginning. Scream 1 is one of my favorite movies ever. The rest range from "ok" to "very good". It's a consistent series, albeit formulaic. If they try risky poo poo like "making Gale/Tara/Sidney the killer" or whatever, it's gonna be stupid and it will all unravel and then they'll have to retcon half their franchise. The reboot with part 5 didn't have to forget any of the movies existed (though I wish Roman got a little more love.) And I think the filmmakers know this and that's why they play it safe a lot.

it's gonna get stale -- you can argue it already is stale, actually -- but that's okay, they'll just ice the franchise for a while and then bring it back again, good as new later on.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

Fridays reboot didn't fail. It was basically just a remake of 1-4 in one movie (so it got to where the original switched to a new killer and took it back) and was successful.

They had issues with the rights, was the problem, so the snowy sequel never happened and we're getting a TV show instead.

Oh I know I should've clarified that the failed reboot wasn't because it was bad. I actually really liked the Friday reboot. The point still stands though that it acts like the more ridiculous stuff and the Tommy Jarvis stuff didn't happen.

The Nightmare reboot on the other hand...oof.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

The Nightmare reboot is the worst movie in either franchise. This is a franchise that has NOES5.

You forgot Freddy's Dead, which is somehow worse than Dream Child. I didn't think it'd be possible but they managed to do it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

Freddy's Dead is looneytuooms stupid fever dream dumb. Dream Child is just boring, dull, and bad and shot ridiculously. I prefer stupid bad to boring bad, but thats just me.

To each their own. Both are of course awful.

A lot of my friends hated Dream Master but I kind of have a soft spot for it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

dr_rat posted:

Yep, micro-sleeps is legitimately really interesting idea for the freddy movies as everyone's been tired and knows what it's like trying to stay awake while drifting off. Fits perfectly into the franchise and was so much they could of done with it but... yeah nothing.

And yeah the replacing practical effects with CGI thing reminds of the thing prequel where they actually made some really great looking practical effects for the film then apparently the produces made them cover them with cheap CGI.

CGI can be used well, but not like that, not like that!

Scream 4 used CGI blood and knives too, IIRC.

I don’t get it. Practical effects are part of the beauty of horror. And it ages a lot better IMHO.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

mutantIke posted:

I'm just glad everybody loves New Nightmare. That movie rocks

I know someone who doesn’t. She’s not my friend though. But yeah it rocks. It’s a shame it was kind of a flop.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Dawgstar posted:

It did walk so Scream could run. (The run is with arms flailing wildly and maybe slamming into a fridge door.)

And tripping over a couch.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

With the franchise still going strong (stronger than ever?), a completely fresh reboot seems unlikely anytime soon, but I would really love a Scream movie in which "Stab" doesn't exist in the universe.

The beauty of Scream is the movies all happened and you don’t even have to do a reboot; just make a new movie with a new cast that occasionally references the previous ones if you wanna. That’s pretty much what 5 was anyway. Just do that without the legacy cameos.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Sam will not be ghostface.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

zer0spunk posted:

You might be giving this franchise more credit than it deserves.

It’s not that I’m giving the franchise credit, it’s that the key players involved have always been careful to not make any decisions that may have to be retconned or reversed in the future. They killed Randy in 2 and regretted it so much they wrote a way to have Jamie Kennedy appear in the 3rd movie. They may make dumb plots (like 5) but they seem very averse to doing anything they’ll regret.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

zer0spunk posted:

This point it's a new team of creatives behind 5 and 6, and presumably since those did well, 7-48

I would have agreed more if this wasn't the second movie in a row they leaned heavily into her whole dumb head-dad crap. That therapy scene was incredibly stupid.

True, but keep in mind Kevin Williamson is still an executive producer and RS has said he’s been very involved in the process. Also RS is on record saying they view the Scream franchise as having happy endings where you wanna see the main characters go through hell and come out the other side. I don’t think they’d make Sam ghostface if they thought that.

They should just stop the head dad poo poo anyway because it’s very bad and not good.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Snooze Cruise posted:

its super great actually!!! >:I

Blech. It’s dumb. It makes Billy sympathetic by proxy when he shouldn’t be, and it’s kinda dumb to be like “my dad was a killer, therefore I have a mental illness where I may be a killer too”.

I appreciate that they wanted a final girl with traits very different from Sidney but the execution was so bad.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Scream 7 is official and Radio Silence is out. New director is the Happy Death Day guy.

No cast has signed on yet because of the strikes.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
If the cast and new director already signed their deals I don’t know if they can walk that easily though, no?

Jenna is likely not returning anyway.

Doubtful Neve comes back after what happened with 6.

This is kind of a disaster.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Talk about fumbling the bag lmao (paramount I mean.)

(Though reading between the lines, Jenna strikes me as kinda over Wednesday now)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Snooze Cruise posted:

congrats to jasmin savoy brown, the new star of scream

This is Cuba Gooding Jr Jr erasure

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/scream-7-eyes-neve-campbell-patrick-dempsey-to-return-1235805929/

:laffo:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

The opening kill will be Sam and Tara with stand-ins.

It will be literally Poochie saying “I have to go my planet needs me”

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I doubt Neve comes back after how they treated her in the 6 negotiations. But money talks.

Unbelievable how they had a hit fall on their laps like this, with having a new young star in their series completely on accident but they still managed to fumble it in the end with all this Melissa Barrera poo poo.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

SilentChaz posted:

Jenna Ortega reportedly walked from Scream VII in part because she wanted a bigger payday:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/scream-franchise-jenna-ortega-melissa-barrera-1235683989/

Also of note in this article is Barrera was fired like a month before the news broke.

I think the Palestine stuff was an excuse and they just plain didn’t want her.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1736076158968463850?s=46

Anyone see this? Is that account reputable?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
lol now Chris Landon quit

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
People on Twitter are loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008