Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Show has really impressed me. Really continuing the wacky, stylish, morally bleak comedy vibe of Suicide Squad. And James Gunn actually gets across characterisation, gives all these scumbags a bit of pathos and growth. Then hits you with a classic bit of raising stakes, or a twist. Just solid storytelling.

The improv rants might run a little long in the tooth sometimes and I have NO IDEA where it's going or if it'll stick the landing, but honestly the best TV I've seen outside of The Expanse in years.

I don't vibe with The Boys, and I think it's because it takes itself too seriously in a way where Peacemaker keeps it light and smooths over it in rock music and cartoonishness. Like these characters are all horrific murderers so that I don't have too much distracting sympathy when Vigilante is getting tortured and can just laugh at the gags, but I can still feel kinda bad for Peacemaker crying and punching himself in the face because nobody likes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Smythe posted:

Cool show so far. A lot of the bits feel like they’re adapted from the classic bodybuildingforum arm/leg days in a week argument. Same tone.
I don't get this reference BUT I am irrationally furious that they don't allude to the supposedly human Peacemaker constantly working out and eating like John Cena.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wow, I am simultaneously burdened by the new knowledge of this bodybuilding-dot-com debacle, its fame (Jon fuckin' Bois?), and do agree that it is a conversation Peacemaker and Vigilante might have.

Thanks?

wolfs posted:

I keep wondering if Rick Flagg is going to show up as a government zombie or something and pop Peacemaker in the head in the last episode after they’re done with the black op

or if James Gunn really likes showing that clip of Peacemaker stabbing him for emotional turmoil context
The constant referring back to this and "I don't care how many men, women and children I have to kill to get [peace]" - both of which were decent moments in the movie, but odd to revisit - does throw me. I don't know if they're going to pay either off, or if Gunn's just weirdly proud of them and thinks they were bigger than they were.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Team bonding felt very unsubtle but I enjoyed it. Loved the Charlie payoff.

NowonSA posted:

I feel like this episode would've made for a fine and surprising reveal to us the audience of what's up with Murn. It'd certainly be more shocking and out of nowhere than doing it earlier. I wonder what the reasoning was for doing it that way when they were basically going to end an episode with that surprise (and have it be more impactful as it involves another character finding out) anyway.

Also there's no way we're getting a lot of complexity about what's up with the Butterflies. In retrospect, I was way overestimating how cerebral this show was going to get.
Yeah I think it was good for pacing to have the twist in the last episode to make it feel more significant, but this cliffhanger ending mid-moment feels like a repeat AND pretty much confirms he's going to talk it out or something, but not kill her. (Otherwise that would've been the cliffhanger.)

I'm invested either way though. Show good!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Annie Stupenhausen was human enough to pick out a guy in a bar to hook up with. (Who just coincidentally due to the sheer amount of butterflies, found the guy with the Black Ops Exterminate Butterflies documents)

Murn specifically remembers his human past while acknowledging that he's different now.

Judomaster said the butterflies "aren't what you think".

Is it possible they're not posessing/bodysnatching as much as....augmenting or hiveminding or something?

The only thing that throws me is Murn helping kill the others. Maybe it is just factionalism.

Sentinel Red posted:

"Eat peace, motherfuckers!"

Adebayo's expression is killing me.
I kinda love her chill, kind vibe. My friend said she's pretty much playing the same character she did in OITNB?

Takes No Damage posted:

That was my assumption as well, and doing the Body Snatchers scream and jumping at her was just cliffhanger bait.
Or just stopping her telling anybody/shooting him, to be fair.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any word on if they're gonna release a sound track for this once the season is over?
James Gunn has apparently been running a spotify playlist and adding each episode's songs week after week.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm really really hoping they wrap all these threads up by the end of season 1 and have a really bad feeling they won't. I am thoroughly enjoying the ride though.

Also, what the heck was the piano scene for?

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus I know it's been said before but this show is so loving good. Also Locke, Jesus Christ :stare:

Also yes, Eagley IS hardcore :patriot:
He's SO unsettling, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't do more with him as a human.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Serious questions about the butterflies: is the blood caused by it, like...digging its way to the brain? Which it then has to heal with the healing powers Stupenhausen seemingly had cracking her bones back together.

Once butterflied, can you be unbutterflied? Or does the big butterfly shaped hole in your brain mean you're gone for good. (I'm assuming this because it's another paralel with the Starro babies...)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah I do wonder if Locke is so chilling just to remind us how bad Human Murn must've been.

Trying to figure out what to make of the Peacemaker brother death thing? They show his bruised/bloodied fists so it seems like he beat him to death but the foaming at the mouth thing throws me? That made it look like a drug or allergy thing to me. Am I missing something about biology that could lead to that from a beating?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Very weird going from the 40 minutes of boring shots of people shooting at each other vaguely in Boba Fett yesterday, to a few small skirmishes with individual beats, with ups and downs. Like some proper filmmaking. (Also the kind of thrashing camerawork that stunt people tend to use when they're given directorial control - especially in the motel fight. Always been fascinated by that.)

CelticPredator posted:

The cow is creepy I love it
SO GLAD they didn't wait for the finale for that reveal.

eke out posted:

lol @ the subtitles having insulting names for the various nazi goons
Mapped in the credits too!

That said, I am uncomfortably distracted by Skinhead Girl's eyes.

Everyone posted:

I loved the two idiots mocking Judomaster. Like, in a world that you know has super-people in it, why the gently caress would you as a normal chode, mock anyone in a costume when they could so easily turn out to be be some super-powered/skilled badass who can and will put you in the hospital for like six months.
To be fair he could've just been a guy who's really good at brazilian jiu-jitsu in a non-superpowered world and broken them into individual bones, people will absolutely still act like that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Confused when people are surprised WWE people are good actors when they've basically had to do theatre, like live performance as characters for decades. I don't give a gently caress about wrestlers but those people are obviously consumate entertainers. (Although I get that it doesn't normally call for the emotional range John Cena expressed to a nonexistent eagle)

chitoryu12 posted:

The stuntwork in this show has generally been pretty good. I loved Harcourt's wall run to turn a grapple into a flip. Corridor Digital should do one of their Stuntmen React videos with that scene.
Still thinking about how Stupenhausen ragging John Cena side to side like a ragdoll in that doorway was one of the greatest action beats I've seen in a while. (Before he even goes through the wall)

itry posted:

I like that the first thing Judomaster has apparently done after escaping was to go and eat some cheetos. Priorities.
D-did Adebayo taser him to death? I'm still kinda thrown by him surviving getting shot in the heart, and after that he totally disappeared from this episode. Really seemed like they were building to him joining the team by his 'they're not what you think' and kicking the crap out of guys you were happy to see get the crap kicked out of them.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

He was zip-tied after that, so he's still alive.

So unless he shows up at the farm in the last minute, it does seem like a weird arc for him.
Ah well remembered. Yeah I guess the question is did they just leave him in the motel or like...Bundle him in the car and offscreen, bundle him into the vet truck.

eke out posted:

he's super posh too lol, has that "went to an elite all-boys public school" accent, not at all what i expected
I'm pretty sensitive to the mistake Brits make doing American actors and he had me absolutely fooled, makes it seem effortless.

It's even more impressive than the fact putting a ripped literal male model next to John Cena lets you get away with him seeming like a weedy lil oddball nerd.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
For some reason "KIAI!" never gets old for me.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I liked that moment, don't think holding it with sad crying and nothing else would've really made anything better, we got his emotional pain and turmoil. I also appreciated it because it's pretty awkward when someone dies and someone else is really hurt about it. That gently patting touching line reminded me of situations when ya know, somebody died and you gotta figure out something to do or say and "oh that sucks" isn't enough.
The callback to face muscle exercises was a solid enough gag to interrupt the moment but 'tender touching' 'dude, that's creepy' was kinda weak IMO, and deffo undercut the moment of your protagonist for the last 7 hours killing his own father. I think they should've given that a breath.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"You shouldn't've killed my mom and squished my walkman" is probably the weakest moment of the most impactful part of Guardians 2 and I have some real mixed emotions on it.

I think James Gunn gets away with a lot of what he does by straddling this line between being genuine and 'hey it's all a joke, and we're all in on it'.

I've seen reactions where people think Harcourt touching Murn in butterfly form as he dies was a gag - which the fact it's interrupted by "KIAI! DING DONG BITCHES!" kinda credits that interpretation. But I also absolutely bought both of those characters, and think that interruption is hitting a very specific mark between the drama and the comedy atmospheres.

There's a VERY precarious un-reality he's balancing, where by all moral standards we'd expect Peacemaker and Vigilante to get the loving death penalty, but can still happy-cry when the CG eagle hugs John Cena.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Enjoyed the journey, not sure about some of the destination. Show very solid and good but maybe not AMAZING.

Ghost dad being a thing seems kinda meh, I'm annoyed Harcourt survived (that was a lot of blood out of her mouth with no medical assistance), still digesting the morals and characterisation of Peacemaker instantly genociding the butterflies even if the scene played out well (i mean, it was reverse genocide, for every one of them they'all killed at least one human, but like...still digesting this).

What I can't figure out is - was the cow a victim or an accomplice? It looked like a prisoner last episode and during the milking, but then it looked sympathetic in the end, and Goff said it helped them.

Wait, do actual cows look like prisoners when they're being milked?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It is odd to remember James Gunn even tried to give Starro a bit of pathos with the 'I was happy floating in space and staring at the stars'.

On a lighter note, there were some absolutely sick stunts. When he chops the guys legs up in the air with the shield and then domes him mid-air?!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Khanstants gimmick is excellent. Butterflies killing humans = bad, but letting humans go ahead and kill the entire earth and every species on it = WORSE.

And it's not like they need to kill ALL the humans, just enough to stay in control of humanity and keep the peace. They can even live without a host anyway. And they didn't kill Judomaster because he was a comrade.

Wait, am I an ecofascist now?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm down for the internet to fall in love with Song/Goff and want an insane twin reveal in season 2 BUT I do feel like the guy who plays Murn isn't getting enough credit.

"EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND, ONE OF YOU IS DOING SOMETHING hosed UP!" is hands down one of the best cuts/deliveries in the show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I agree with this. Gunns stuff is very much self aware and keeps winking at the audience. The characters feel more like joke machines than real characters BUT interspersed with this you sometimes also get legit emotional scenes and such, which makes it work, like with Guardians of the Galaxy.
I disagree with this part, I think the KEY to Gunn is that he gets 'characters'. He establishes who these people are, what they want, relationships they will grow, and an arc they will take. And he's pretty much the only one in Marvel who does this, which is why the GOTG movies feel so different. And why you can be cry with the mass murderer or the CG raccoon.

I mean Guardians literally starts with a boy running away from holding his mother's hand while she dies in the ICU.

Yeah the boy grows up to be a joke machine, and sometimes that is infused by established character but it never, ever negates that established character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I feel like people oversell the importance of the connected university continuity when there's basically no character arcs or plot connecting any of the movies or TV shows.

I guess there's continuity between BvS-to-Justice League and Suicide Squad-to-Peacemaker, but otherwise it's just a bunch of independant stories but occasionally a Batman or Aquaman appears. You don't have to see another thing to understand the current thing, it literally doesn't matter.