Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
But let's all admit the most FUN way of fighting Thunderjaws is stealing their blaster and using it on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Any ideas how much space the PS5 version will take?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Trying to avoid spoilers at all costs so don't know the best way to google it.

Are there any shared resources needed for crafting? Like, if I get a rare Racoon Skin drop, should I hold off on crafting the first sack because I will need it for something better? I seem to remember HZD being good about that, only using things once (or for future upgrades of the same type)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

98 hours in and finally beat the game and am working on upgrading gear now for a hopefully inevitable NG+. I've figured out that Apex machines spawn more frequently at night so I'm using the shelters to travel through time and going to a site. However, I can't for the life of me find Apex Tremortusks. Any advice?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s one spot by Las Vegas (with a shelter nearby) that you can reliably respawn. Go there and there’s just a tremortursk hit a different (further) shelter, pass time to night, then go back to the shelter by it. This almost always popped an Apex for me. Once you get an apex to show and hunt it, the game will continue giving you Apexes for some reason.

Hmm if that's the spot I'm thinking about that's where I was trying it. Go to shelter, make sure it's night, kill Tremortusk, teleport back and save, restart from save, repeat. Did it a good 15 times (Dropped difficulty down to story because I was getting angry) and no Apex. Now that I say that I wonder if maybe that's the problem, that they won't spawn in Story mode?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

The overrides are really fun once you get the ability to override tougher machines. There's that one Tenakth mission where you have to take down a Thunderjaw and Tremortusk in the same area and it was great being able to override the Tremortusk and watch them duke it out.

I spent more time than I care to admit trying to override 3 Clawstriders so I could make the Jurassic World Chris Pratt/Raptor shot. Sadly could only get two before they killed the third

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t kill it. Spawn (a regular robot), then go to shelter to pass the time to night.

Works in story mode just fine

Klungar posted:

Make sure that the shelter you are using to advance the time to night isn’t anywhere close to the site you are trying to spawn an Apex in. If you fast travel to the close-by shelter when it isn’t already night, a non-Apex version will spawn and changing it to night won’t despawn it, so you’ll never get an Apex version to show up.

Haha I'M SO CONFUSED

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gotcha, maybe that's my issue then. That shelter is really close to the spawn (You glide from it right to the TT)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Here I just loaded the game and clipped the sequence even gliding twice to scan the regular tusk and apex. (You dont need to, regular robots have white armor plates and apex have black plates)

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1508095254943178758?s=21&t=e5NO0GPrIijWqn2GIJ3qZA

Sweet thanks, my Nora Thunder Armor appreciates it!

Speaking of which, because I'm way behind in the thread, does anyone have a list of how many of which parts are needed to upgrade all the Legendary stuff?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

The Veter quest is kinda weird. You bump into her and she asks if you can find a relic she lost. The mission has no marker and doesn't show up in the menu. I pretty much randomly found the spot where the relic was. Then when you go to return it to her you have to figure out who and where she is because there is no marker to show where she is either.

Yeah there's a few of these I ran into. Just random areas with "better take a look with my focus and see what happened" with minor vignettes, like a path with things to examine that led to a shelter with a data point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ulio posted:

-The new type of mount is introduced way too late in the game, not sure why you would work on something like that and have it available only for 5% of the game.

I'm kind of glad they waited to introduce it. I definitely would have used it all the time to cheese some of the jump/climb puzzles.

Plus hey, the third mount you get is fun too!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I always wanted to ride a Ravager operating the cannon like a gunner in the back of a Jeep.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L39Z0PZqSU

And people say there's too much hand holding in the game!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I guess I'm lucky, I've got 100 hours in and the only bugs I've experienced are once going through the floor of the base and a weird one where sometimes Aloy doesn't speak the first line of the conversation, but it shows the subtitle. Then as soon as someone else talks she's back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

looks like they just made everything harder across the board, except for that aim glitch

the legendary stat adjustments are especially egregious considering what you have to do for their upgrades

Yeah, I really wish I'd just upgraded my Blue bows rather than spending all my shards on purple and eventually the legendary stuff. It's annoying that there's a bunch of different ammos and combinations on bows but ultimately I think it would have saved me a massive headache.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I dropped down to Story to try and farm them and it's STILL a nightmare. I pretty much have to Freeze, plink at legs, freeze, plink at legs, repeat. Trying to do that without cheating, no way. And you need SO MUCH OF IT.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I bought the collector's edition and i laughed because it comes with a regular game case, a Steelbook and....a code to download the game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

:confused: I got the collectors edition with steelbook and it definitely has a disc.

The one with the Tremortusk statue? Both it and the Regalla edition have on the box "Download key for game provided" (I bought a Regalla to try and flip)

Edit -Upon double checking it's only the Steelbook, no regular case

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 1, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Finally finished the Gauntlets (I suck at racing) and got the Legendary Warrior Bow and was extremely disappointed. Was hoping it would at least be an Acid/Frost bow but nope. (Reward)

Medullah fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 2, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

I'm ok with weapon types being doled out by story missions IF those missions are extremely early. The appeal of games like this is being able to customize your character or playstyle so by doing gatekeeping of combat variety using story checkpoints is not really my wish.

Yeah I'm the person that does everything I can before the story missions so I'd rather they keep separate. I'm on board with making them modifiable, keep the innate bonuses the bows have but allow you to adjust what ammo they take. That way I won't have to carry two goddam slings to have Frost and Purgewater for when I'm going against a Fireclaw.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

if they just let you keep the bits you salvage from the combat arena machines then the problem would practically solve itself, pretty much every big-name robot gets a turn in that place

It took me way more rounds than I care to admit to realize you didn't keep them. Hurrying to loot before the round ended...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Once I first did the Focus pulse and saw the red X's in the environment I knew it was the same engine and I started panicking that I was going to have to deliver mail

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

The flying mount is so good that it could easily sell the game on it's own,

I'm so glad this wasn't spoiled for me and I discovered it organically. It really blew me away that they added it, and I spent hours just flying around, checking out the scenery, taking pictures and looking for random Greenshine slabs

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

This has to be the worst puzzle in the entire game:

Figure out which piece of identical rock you can interactive in order to enter a cave.

I mean, that's what your focus is for?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

"Scan the entire mountain for a small opening" doesn't make the puzzle better.

Huh I guess I got lucky, I never had an area that took more than a couple minutes to find. Well, except the underwater areas, gently caress those.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

Whoever designed the melee combat was terrible at their job. I like that they tried making melee more important and expanded from ZD, but it’s so horribly implemented, especially with no block button.

That was the big one for me. With the roll being shorter and there being no way to block attacks, melee was always risky as hell. I like the idea of the Shieldwire tripcaster but I just couldn't find a good way to use it often.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I also just cannot do the final gauntlet race. I'm definitely having fun loving with robots now that I've done the whole game, but those side tasks are brutally balanced.

I did find the salvage contracts to be silly : there are just SO MANY of them, where half the time is traveling back to turn them in.

I'm just glad that fast travel packs are cheap, for the first part of the game I was conserving them and going to campfires to travel every time, but around halfway through I said eff it and just quick travelled everywhere. Definitely good for salvage missions since you can travel right there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Has there been any official word on NG+? I know HZD didn't have one at launch and it was added later

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

One thing I liked about the loot was that it added to the narrative that a lot of knowledge is lost. So keys are labeled as "old bell" "ancient chimes" and wrist watches are "black armbands".

Close enough. :)

Yeah I liked that too, but there was definitely some iffyness on the level of stuff that Aloy knows about from the modern world. One of the ruins is an office building and she calls it that...why would she know what an office is? I guess the magic answer is "It was all in her focus and the archives" but stilllll

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

That hunting ground challenge that wanted you to kill enemies with a blown off enemy weapon was a nightmare

Yeah I cheated, knocked a weapon off, reset the challenge, knocked a weapon off, reset the challenge till I had a few of them laying around heh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

And you get skill points regardless if your level goes up.

Not in Forbidden West, unfortunately. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RatHat posted:

Huh? Quests give skill points

Oh I misread, sorry. Thought you said you still get skill points when you level 50 over and over. Derp

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://v.redd.it/ovc9v5281pt81

I can't stop laughing at this

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So am I just stupid unlucky or does the Apex Stormbird that spawns on top of the Golden Gate Bridge not drop a heart? I was bored and farming so I dropped difficulty down to Story and killed him no less than 10 times and never saw a heart drop.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RatHat posted:

It’s really loving irritating that moonfish keep disappearing when I’m 2 feet away from them

Yeah my strategy there was line myself up with them and jam circle and triangle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

They fit in there right next to the Tremortusk tusks and Thunderjaw tails.

Need to expand my ammo pouch so I can hold more than 8 frost sling balls but just gonna toss these 43 Tremortusk tusks in my back pocket.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Tremortusks: I thought it was really weird how little they were in the game after being hyped up so much in the marketing, they were the main enemy in the gameplay trailer and a tremortusk statute was part of the special edition. And yet you can only fight it once during the main quests, compared to the slitherfangs that shows up twice plus one more time in Alva's quest.

Yeah I thought the same, thought it odd that the big bad robot Slaughterspine wasn't the statue.

mastershakeman posted:

all the big guys get underused, it's really weird. they're great fights across the board

I LOVE the fight music for the Tideripper

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

How many skill points in total do you get from Machine Strike? As far as I can tell, that's the only thing I haven't completed in the game, but I still need like 28 skill points to max out skill trees. I have everything unlocked, but not all the valor surges are maxed out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nottherealaborn posted:

It’s 2 skill points per difficulty. I think it goes beginner, intermediate, skilled, expert or something like that. So 8 total skill points for defeating 24 players across 72 boards. Then you finally play the Master (just one master who has just one board), and I can’t remember what her rewards are. Probably a few skill points.

So it’s likely around 10 or 11 skill points total.

Yeah I just looked it up and even with those I'm still 5 points shy of maxing out all my valor surges. Annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

There's no reason to keep any of the green or blue weapons, assuming you have the purple and gold ones, right? Like, obviously the Legendary aren't the end all be all but there's nothing the blue/greens can do that one version of the purple/gold can't do better, right?