Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched Mother/Android today. Woof. Bad dialogue, bad story, lots of choices made that are incomprehensible. Stay away! 2/5 stars.

Yeah. Professional-looking enough compared to some of the streaming-trash sci-fi, but leaden and uninspired in every other way. Like, there is an extremely obvious twist in a movie featuring robots that look exactly like people, and the reveal is precisely who you think it will be. And the only interesting complication of that twist (the question of how does being with the couple actually get the robot past the security checkpoint) is not addressed. Really disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, watching Raised by Wolves for answers, rather than moment-to-moment enjoyment of fanatical androids bleeding milk and such, is probably a mistake.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

A friend told me about it. I had one question for him: Do you get to see the car baby? He said no.

Your friend deceived you.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some TV shows are popular and people talk about them as new episodes come out. What a strange new world we live in.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm absolutely out of shows, out of movies. Checked what's new to netflix, hbo, prime this month and its garbage. Guess I'll have to read a book or something lol

Anybody randomly come across a gem on HBO or something? I've probably seen it already but who knows

Sorry to Bother You just got added to Netflix.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I took it less as the show wanting us, the audience, to have a lot of sympathy for Brida than wanting us to understand Uhtred's perspective. I would have been happy to have the show spend a little less time on her and more on his cousin, but I think it fits with the overall theme of showing how much Uhtred lost in getting to where he is at the end of the series.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I don't disagree. The bit where he let her go even after she had just recently mutilated his son definitely felt forced in order to stretch out our time with the character. If they had ended it there I think it would have been fine.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I decided to let my Netflix subscription lapse at the end of the month, but I'm glad I caught The Power of the Dog before it did. Such a gripping, surprising, beautiful, and emotionally grounded western thriller. Totally surpassed my expectations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

That car chase in the last season was so goddamn good.

Yeah. Went into the show knowing Bill Hader was funny. Didn't know he was such a good director.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just finished The Grey Man on Netflix. To its credit, I also liked the movies it's desperately trying to be.

Might have been better at half the budget. By the end I was tired of yet another sprawling gunfight, yet another person diving away from an explosion through a window, yet another instance of someone showing how badass they are by fighting through a serious injury. None of the action is terrible, but it's also not so compelling that there needs to be this much of it. Maybe if the story or characters were more interesting, but despite a good cast it's just there to get you from one lavishly-executed but uninspired action scene to the next.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I'm seeing a lot of "meh" reactions to The Gray Man but I was really entertained. Honestly I think it's easily the best Netflix action movie so far.

I think this may say more about the quality of Netflix action movies generally than The Gray Man specifically.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Walker is fantastic. Don't worry about the box office or the trailer, which tries to make it seem more conventional than it is. Good on Criterion for getting it out there with a better-quality transfer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Does Outer Range end in a satisfying way? I was intrigued in the start, and while there has been a lot of personal drama, there has been very little by way of the mystery/scifi elements, and I'm getting a little tired of Imogen Poots constant knowing more than she is willing to reveal. I was in the middle of episode 7 I think, and Imogen gave another one of her smirks, and I just turned it off.

You get to find out why she knows so much in the next episode, which is the last of the season, but it doesn't exactly wrap everything up. For myself, given I got to the point you have, I was glad I finished the season, but I wouldn't recommend starting the show to anyone who hasn't already done so if they want something more than family drama sparked by periodic sci-fi bullshit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's not even like the direction was the problem with Fallen Kingdom. At worst it shows he's willing to shoot a lousy script if it pays.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks to whatever goon was hyping Search Party on HBO Max a while back. I just got into the second season after ripping through the first in a few days and I'm loving it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah but that's kind of the point. Literally every single person, even side characters, are the worst people ever. Everyone is irredeemable and they just loving lean. into. it.

Yeah, I don't know if it would work as well for me as a comedy if they weren't all so awful because I'd be at risk at feeling bad for them. On top of their awfulness being funny in itself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Deadite posted:

Is there anything on Apple TV I should check out? I have a few months free but it doesn't look like there's a ton of content.

I watched Severance (which was great) and I just started For All Mankind
For All Mankind is fantastic.
The Morning Show is good if you like the actors, but the themes and messaging are a little heavy handed.
See has great worldbuilding, but is otherwise kind of stupid.
Servant is a fun Shyamalan thriller at first, but just begins treading water and nothing really happens after a while
Foundation is incredibly ambitious, but only the story with the emperor is actually interesting
Mythic Quest is likable, but doesn't really have many laugh out loud moments. The best episodes are the serious dramatic ones.
Ted Lasso season 1 deserves all the hype it got. Season 2 not so much.
Bad Sisters is Sharon Horgan's followup to Catastrophe about a group of sisters who plot to murder their rear end in a top hat brother-in-law. Not as funny as Catastrophe
Central Park is the exact same show as Bob's Burgers and The Great North, but with more music, if those are your jam.
Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson is a fascinating docuseries about music production.

Edit: Prehistoric Planet is a nature documentary with CG dinosaurs from the creators of Planet Earth

To add to this—which I'd basically agree with in regards to the shows I've seen—if you like espionage thrillers, Slow Horses is pretty good. It's about a group of MI5 agents assigned to "Slough House," a posting for incompetents who have disgraced themselves but aren't quite fireable, who get wrapped up in an actual investigation for the first time in years.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Don't know if I missed some of the subtitles or what, but did anyone else have an issue following what people were trying to accomplish in the Netflix Troll? For instance, the scene where they confront the troll with bells hanging from helicopters. You'd think they'd be used to drive it away from population centers, but instead they completely surround it at close range. What was their picture of that going well?

Solid looking, though, with the obvious inspiration from the recent American Godzilla and Kong movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bullet Train was from Sony and had a normal theatrical release this summer. That one is not on Netflix.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Except for Tubi, where ad blockers prevent the ads but not the movies from playing, so it's just free movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

The Menu is now out on HBO Max (not in my region though...), it's supposed to be good

It's just okay. Would have liked to see a version where Ralph Fiennes is the focal character rather than Anya Taylor-Joy—nothing against her or her performance—given he's the actual force driving the plot. It seems to think we need some neutral party to go on the voyage of learning to be disgusted by the rich patrons with us when we really don't.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Don't agree with this at all. Ralph Fiennes might be the main character but he is also the antagonist in a movie that is surrounded in mystery and I have no idea how it would have worked if it was focused around him. Having a neutral party be the viewer stand in was the right choice and Anya Taylor-Joy did a bang up job of it.

What mystery? Do you mean that they were planning to kill everyone? That seemed obvious from the start.

Ralph Fiennes played the character who was actually trying to accomplish something. That's generally the more interesting character to follow.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

She was probably just completely fabricated and he was too much of a self absorbed idiot to line the story up straight with his "date" before he arrived.

The restaurant folks tracked down evidence of the three dudes stealing money just to make some ominous tortillas. I don't think Nicholas Hoult is going to get an entirely fictitious guest past them.

Considering one woman was killed for having her parents be able to pay for Brown, anyone that dude was actually dating would have been likely to make the cut for execution.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, some of it was very interesting. You had the ostensibly "green" Dem politician completely in the pocket of the billionaire, but they made her...a beige soccer mom? The MRA guy getting bossed around by his oh-so-smart mother that he lived with...what? I assume Kate Hudson's character was some kind of riff on Gina Carano, but Carano is not working the capitalist hustle last I checked, that's more of a Reese Witherspoon thing, so again it just doesn't map cleanly. Not that it has to, but they're muddling the message. It would be a lot better if they showed that these actor-capitalists are actually quite shrewd about using their celebrity geniality to cover their exploitation, rather than portraying it as simple cluelessness.

Yeah, Kate Hudson's character in real life would have some internalized reason to be onboard with exploitative labor—"oh, we're providing opportunity," or whatever—not too stupid to understand what a "sweatshop" is. A real life Duke is Andrew Tate, who isn't a dim-bulb who lives with his mother, but instead got arrested for sex trafficking in Romania. It's like the movie thinks that being stupid—by which it means inarticulate and verbally inept—is the biggest crime possible.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the time to see Top Gun: Maverick was in the theater.

In regards to HBO shows, The Leftovers isn't exactly hidden, but it's a little lower profile, and I recently watched it and very much enjoyed it. Three seasons, with an ending.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

smackfu posted:

I think the newest change is having the $25 to own option right away, rather than it only being rentable for $20 the first period.

But yeah, not sure that pricing makes much sense.

It was definitely odd having the DnD movie hit streaming rentals and have it still be cheaper to get to watch it in a theater, but I get that until we finally get standardized always-on cameras in our TVs that they have to account for the rental possibly being watched by a whole family.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So he's not, like, actually in hell or being subject to some postmodern art project or something? Because halfway through those were the only interpretations I could come up with for how thoroughly the apartment seems to have been set up to gently caress over someone trapped inside. Starting to think I might not bother finishing it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

It does? She's lying.

This is my understanding as well, that she backed out of using the machine. Any concrete answer to the great mysteries of life is just a comforting lie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

Are there any mystery box series where everything is explained and all viewers are satisfied?

There's always dissatisfied viewers of anything, but in terms of shows that drag out a mystery for a long time but put their cards on the table by the end with generally positive reception I can think of at least Mrs. Davis, also from Damon Lindelof, Dark, and Fringe. I'm sure there's others.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

nonathlon posted:

What I'm saying is that even for a Zack Snyder film, Rebel Moon part 2 is incredibly Zack Snyder, like the most Zack Snyder that Zack Snyder has ever Zack Snyder'd.

Stop making me want to sign up for Netflix.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Also, keep in mind the possibility that he made a wide shot of himself canoeing around on some later date when he knew the canoe worked and they edited it into the original test to make it more interesting. That's a lower-key bit of fakery than secretly having camera crews out there.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Seriously this movie needed to end with Vince Vaughn being put in the electric chair. You even sabotaged the dude's gun while in his party?! Did you have a secret alliance with the loving t rex???

I mean, pretty much. He's a radical environmental activist. There's like, two or three T-Rexes in the entire world. He values them more than the people.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The thing about Malcolm is, as much as I love Goldblum, the character is a pseudo-intellectual imbecile who mostly just says things that were memetic and sounded "about right". That whole standing on the shoulders of geniuses thing is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You're just describing how scientific advancement works you gently caress!!

His character is well aware that he's critiquing the process of scientific advancement as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I basically think the issue with the Vince Vaughn stuff is that he doesn't play the character as the sort of fully-invested radical who'd rather die than let the hunter have the T-Rex. It works as a concept, I think, but I don't blame you for not finding it convincing on-screen.

In regards to Malcolm, yeah, I'm not saying I agree with his argument, just that I think his reference to Hammond/Wu standing on the shoulders of giants isn't unknowingly a description of how scientific advancement works. He's purposely taking a shot at all of it. Ellie Sattler is who to look for if you want a more moderate opinion. And in general she's a huge part of what The Lost World is missing. Sarah Harding just isn't as strong a character.