Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My main thought about Peacemaker is we seem to be due for a cultural re-evaluation of hair metal and its place in music history. Much like the slow rehabilitation of disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

well, i think this already happened. specifically in the 00s. you had bands like The Darkness, who were jokingly saying "actually hair metal was good", and also bands like The loving Champs who were sincerely playing metal in an indie rock context, with song names like "Thor is loving Godlike".

around the same time i recall the college station in Knoxville had a hair metal show that a buddy of mine did, and it was by a large margin the most popular thing on the station. i believe it was just called "the cock rock hour" and it was almost all hair metal.

i think something that everyone figured out back then is that, there really just aren't that many hair metal bands who were "genuinely good".

It’s not even a sub genre I’m especially into but I just always found it weird that the lingering backlash meant rock and metal bands got hung up on being taken seriously and being authentic. I’m not saying this directly correlates with rock losing cultural mindshare to pop and r&b but it’s worth looking into.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I don't recall S3 of GLOW being super sappy or too dramatic or anything like that, there was less of the wrestling show but I think that may have been an issue of the long wait meant the actors were not in as much condition to get thrown around.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Devils is back on Shudder, for now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Someday someone will invent a UI for a streaming service that’s actually good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wasn’t crazy about the Batman but the Penguin is easily the most entertaining part of the whole thing so no don’t cut a second

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TheMopeSquad posted:

Makeup is one thing but Colin did an amazing job changing his voice too no way anyone would know that was him. The part where they shove the pictures of the guys rat eaten face at him and he's like "whoaaa what're you showing me ovva eya!" had me busting up.

That's what's great, his Penguin is just a mid-level mob boss guy who wants to do normal mob crime stuff and he's surrounded by masked psychopaths pursuing ancient vendettas. He's the most normal person in the film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They want you to watch what they spent the most money making/acquiring.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Does that actually make sense though?

Like when Netflix switched to mostly original content it made sense to hide the small amount of content, but now they would surely be served better by promoting their back catalog more effectively.

If people cancel their subscriptions because they don't realize there's other content they might be interested in, that's not actually helping.

Internal politics have something to do with this- sure, in theory the company should only care about getting more subscribers (though in Netflix's case they kinda hit their effective peak in North America a while ago, anyone who was going to be a Netflix customer either is or actively decided not to be), but you're an executive, you greenlighted this series, you want to make sure it's one that's getting lots of views so that your decision to greenlight it is viewed as good and correct. And that other series was the last guy's big thing, you don't care about that, let it rot. And third parties? Those could go away whenever their contract runs out, The Office did, Friends did, etc., you'll give the stuff that's popular a good placement but you're not gonna rely on it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Criterion Channel turnover is also worth paying attention to.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Shyamalan is clearly influenced by older styles of dramatic writing; if you watch an episode of The Twilight Zone what stands out isn't so much the *twists* as that very heightened, declarative style of writing, characters saying Big Things and taking strong stances on big topics. It's very much the style that was popular in the contemporary theatrical drama of the time, more naturalistic than classical writing but still very clearly *written*, with a strong authorial voice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

man there is no way The French Dispatch is as bad as some of you have been saying :stare:

like if it really is that bad it sounds like it would be hilarious

I think it's superb, I have no idea what they're talking about, like they're short stories so some character development gets lost but there's also Jeffrey Wright giving an utterly devastating monologue.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In the 4th Stimpire

E: drat bad way to start a new page.

So I saw an article on A.V. Club that I can’t link now but apparently Paramount Plus is going to start showing classic Beavis and Butthead with the videos intact? I mean I’m still skeptical but that’s what they’re promising.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It can feel a little aimless because it’s not like a plot driven thriller, but it’s an incredibly vividly rendered world with a number of unforgettable moments. Some great performances too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I dunno whenever someone talks about a show disappearing "up its own rear end" (or the showrunner doing the same) that's usually when the show gets good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There's changing things based on what an audience likes and doesn't like, which can be helpful if you're selective about it. (I.e. you know what you have to keep in order for the story to work.) Changing something that hasn't happened yet solely to have a Big Twist is going to lead to the story being tied up in knots.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm still early into Lower Decks, it's fun but the format has made it hard to develop the characters much. I'm enough of a sicko that I'd kinda like to see more of the drudgery and just being the people to whom the big important things *don't* happen, you're just trying to keep the Jeffries Tube clean. But it's a good show and they're definitely trying to develop the characters as they go, there just hasn't been a lot of room.

Theme music's a banger too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

maybe this is the point, but it's hard to think of a more bland and forgettable title than "The Grey Man"

Red Notice

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And on the subject of Trek stuff Lower Decks is fun.

Paramount +’s big weakness is their movie library, a lot of it is stuff you can find on multiple other sites already (including Prime) including material that’s straight up public domain. And like Peacock they’re not making much use of their own library as a studio.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

okay, i knew Harley Quinn (the animated one on HBOMax) was supposed to be "not just for kids" or whatever

i did not know it was basically Venture Bros. levels of foul mouthed and explicit

holy poo poo it's good

Yeah I was skeptical at first but it's quite funny with strong characters, good voices, etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really loved Birds of Prey. The loopy structure of it made sense as it’s a story told by, well, Harley. The characters were great as were the performances.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't fit with what they want to be doing or something, the new head is axing any project that looks off to him. Gordita Chronicles, which was getting good ratings and reviews and all, was canned simply because it's live action family entertainment and they don't want to do that anymore.

One rumor with Batgirl is they want everything DC to be Big Blockbuster Stuff, and a moderately expensive direct-to-streaming movie doesn't fit that model.

To a certain extent this kind of dickwaving happens every time a studio (or really any big company) changes heads but it seems especially ferocious here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I support physical media, by which I mean buying DVD-Rs from the sketchy booth at Planet Comicon that has yet to be shut down

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They're probably going to try to pivot, but drat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I started Luck on Apple last night. It's John Lasseter's first film since getting ousted from Pixar over sexual misconduct.

I watched about half. It's fine, you can see some of that early Pixar charm in there, although the animation is nowhere near as good. There are some funny moments, but it also feels like they're going for the depth of Inside Out, and not really succeeding. It makes it clear that the early success of Pixar was due to the brain trust, rather than just solely John Lasseter.

I saw the trailer and thought to myself "Well I guess we don't have to worry about Lasseter staging a huge comeback." The whole thing felt like a weak premise a C-tier animation studio might try to put out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

Prime Video is, essentially, the DVD aisle at Best Buy circa 2013. You'll find some good stuff, but you have to sift through a lot of crap.

To me it’s more like the DVD section at Half Price Books. All sorts of weird stuff in there but you take your chances as to whether it’s good quality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Apparently they have Fraggle Rock.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Only seen the first episode of Amazon's A League of Their Own series but so far, I like it, and it has a bit of the energy of the much-missed GLOW.

Also, D'Arcy Carden. Dang.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I’m actually so far okay with the slow pace because dear Lord it’s been a while since we had a fantasy anything that looked this nice.

Also on that note Morfydd Clark.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm two episodes into Reboot and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, though I think it only really gets funny with the second episode. Bloom is wonderful, of course.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's so far doing a good job of blending the wilder stuff (the stage mom) with stuff that the people who make TV have to contend with. The whole bit with the Hulu VP of Comedy being someone who randomly ended up there because of multiple buyouts and has no real experience with humor, but she means well, the way the script gets rewritten so that it does become more of a balance between the two showrunners' extremes, it rang true to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There were many harbingers. Switching the comment system over to Kinja just KILLED most of the community, you used to have nothing episodes of forgettable sitcoms get triple digit discussions. Then they started with the firings, most recently a huge chunk of the staff being told “We want you all to relocate to L.A., no we won’t pay for it” and obviously it was just so they could shed their higher paid writers.

It really is a perfect distillation of how the modern Internet and venture capital have made it nigh impossible for good critical pop culture writing to thrive. Nobody’s gonna pay you enough unless you’ve got a big enough audience to sustain a Patreon, maybe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm usually the first to complain about not enough lights but I only had trouble in some of the outdoor scenes in like the second act or so.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Memnaelar posted:

What form, exactly? There's no sex,

Pleasure and pain can take many forms, this one's about addiction. Riley may not be "likable" but she is to me a pretty engaging portrait of an addict, someone who is aware that they are making bad decisions and is trying to not screw up but still does and keeps hurting people anyway. She's in a tailspin and wants to fix things but may not be able to. I like that. It's a cool theme.

quote:

and the entire point of the lament configuration (you actively make the choice to call the cenobites and face the consequences) is replaced by just making it a pokey box of doom that sends innocent bystanders to their doom with a quick jab.

I mean that ties into the theme of the new one, it's not just that you personally suffer for your curiosity, but others suffer too, which if you care about any of the people around you can be worse.

Like yeah thematically it's different. That's... fine! Remakes/reboots/etc. should change things!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s my fault. I stopped watching after half of S2e1.

I mean that's the trajectory of every Netflix show

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I’ve noticed Prime is getting more insistent about pointing you to Freevee and/or the sub channels you have to pay for separately. Not making enough on Prime membership I guess?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Damon did a lot of log entries and such, but it kinda worked there, helped that he was good at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See to me a Star Wars that isn’t at least some part cheesy swashbuckling nonsense is missing the entire point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

Star Wars had more going on than that. There was a strong political undercurrent, drawing unsubtle allusions between the Empire and US/UK policies and political values. Andor runs with that thread.

Yeah but you can’t just take out the Flash Gordon stuff any more than you can take out the Kurosawa influences. I’ll get around to the show but the people talking it up keep acting like it’s an inherently good thing for this goofy kid’s stuff to finally be Taken Seriously and that attitude rarely leads somewhere good.

Like if anything the problem with Disney SW to date has been the excessive reverence and treating franchise nostalgia as a sacred thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I just don't want the effect of Andor's praise to be "ah we should make all of Star Wars like this." It's solemn enough as is, every single movie has some big line about "this is how rebellion starts" because it'd look good on a T-shirt.

It's like how Watchmen was a really great comic book but it gave a lot of people the idea that they needed to make comics more like Watchmen and that leads you to Elongated Man's wife being raped and murdered so that Batman can feel betrayed.