Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The movie is not about "dumb sheeple" it is about a ruling elite incapable of navigating avoidable catastrophe because doing so would mildly compromise their positions of absolute comfort. Instead they get high on their own supply by imagining up obviously doomed "smart and nuanced" solutions that coincidentally change nothing systemically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
No it's pretty specifically about political and economic elites leading us to climate disaster. Don't Look Up was written by David Sirota, the not so subtle reporter and former Bernie Sanders staffer.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Finished Station Eleven. It was quite nice. Deep topics of humanity and loss without ever getting cloying or pretentious. Well, never too pretentious. Very very good stuff.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Let Reacher play in the background this morning and I'm a little disappointed. Too many situations where Jack's impossible strength, competence, and wits are less important than his impossible luck.

South American special forces who hold you at gun point within arms reach instead of like 10 paces out? Come on now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Junkie Disease posted:

Free Guy is awful

It is really, really bad. Wasn't expecting much, just something to turn my mind off to while sitting next to my wife. Free Guy fell well short of that expectation.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but I think the target audience for Free GUY is modern gamer youth subculture.

I don't think that's right. Free Guy strikes me as a movie for the 45+ crowd that only knows about modern gaming and streaming culture from exploitative news reports on how dumb and dangerous the things their kids like are. At the very least it was written by that kind of person.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

frogbs posted:

The French Dispatch just came out on HBO Max, if you like Wes Anderson.

I generally enjoy Wes Anderson but the French Dispatch feels like a Wes Anderson parody film written by a hateful critic. It has positive moments. No where near enough of them to redeem the movie.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Someone needs to explain to me why The Last Kingdom wants me to feel sympathy for Brida. That lady sucks so bad.

I don't care if she's Uhtred's childhood sweetheart. She's horribly murdered tons of children, and even more innocent men and women. Stiorra let her off easy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I get that but when you count all Uhtred has lost it makes the shows obsession with Brida even more awkward. Dude has lost like 10 loves of his life. None of them got the level of care as the chick who bathes in baby's blood, metaphorically.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Did not care for The Batman. Mashup of a Se7en style crime suspense with superhero genre sort of landed us with the worst of both worlds. Not very logically consistent and totally lacking the depth of story to justify a 3 hour runtime. Worse than all that, it was mostly pretty boring.

Seriously, how are we supposed to reconcile 20% of all law enforcement in the city being on a gangster's payroll going unseen by Batman despite his doing his crime fighting bit for 2 years? Whole plot felt like a first draft they didn't bother to flesh out or reconcile inconsistencies. Acting was decent, but in service to nothing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can't even imagine feeling tense during this last stretch of Ozark. I'm two episodes in and there's nobody left whose safety I care about. I'm only sticking around out of curiosity about how the rube Goldberg machine of a plot resolves.

That said, a Safdie comparison is high praise. If the last few episodes can get me a tenth as anxious as uncut gems I'll be soundly impressed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a weird show. There are a bunch of very good to great performances and the set design and most of the production design is excellent. The writing (dialogue and general plotting) ranges from decent to trashy, the 4th wall breaking stuff is corny, the digital effects to (sometimes) make it look "70s" are silly. For me it's watchable but only because the actual real life story is interesting and there are strong performances. I can't call it a good show.

This was my experience exactly.

Wild framing of that last episode where an elimination game for the other team the Lakers end up winning by nearly 20 points is this high stress do or die moment where the number 1 team in the west everyone expected to go to the finals is the underdog.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Wolfsheim posted:

I understand why people aren't keen on Russiam Doll S2 but Natasha Lyonne chainsmoking and doing her schtick as she bumbles through time is like, the perfect show to me, even though I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. It's a weird feeling.

It's a really tough transition going from the super tight storytelling and character crafting of the first season to the schtick in search of a story that is season 2. Definitely thought the show improved in the back half once baby Nadia hit the schene, providing some actual character motivation and meaningful symbolism.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The French Dispatch was a tedious parody of his early good work.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't know that I call myself a fan but I loved Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums while largely enjoying most of his other films. The French Dispatch felt like Anderson was responding to every harsh critique of his work by showing the world what empty twee affectation really looks like.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Wolfsheim posted:

RE: the French Dispatch, its especially frustrating because the artist/prisoner or the police/ransom vignettes (not the student one that was poo poo) could have easily been a solid structure for a film, but instead of letting them breathe and slowly build to a climax he's just rushing through quirky moment after quirky moment to try and cram everything in so nothing is landing. Sucks!

I think the police vignette was doomed from the start. Artist in prison one definitely had potential though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Exceedingly good vibes. Those movies give off a strong air of pleasantness. Especially Paddington 2.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah. That sounds like a Star Wars.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm tired of multiverse stuff and thought EEAAO was great. The jokes were zany but worked well with the film's message on basic existentialism through the prism of family and everyday life. Nothing like the empty monkey cheese bits some folks are accusing it of.

Everything suffers from high expectations when overhyped.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just watched Dual on Amazon Prime.

Boring and I'm unsure what if anything it was trying to say. Every character's flat affect and bluntness made it feel like a worse less interesting version of The Lobster.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Joe Pera is better because it's perfect but How to with John Wilson is the only show I've seen that gives off a similar vibe.

They are both amazing and well worth a watch. Strongly suggest not bingeing. Small doses so as to be savored.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hacks is very good but the last episode of season 2 would have been a fine finale so I'm conflicted.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Watched The Northman.

Pretty Good! Not as deep as Eggers earlier films but it wasn't trying to be. Just a solid brutal period piece revenge story with a dash of mysticism thrown in. Very nice.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't see any way to read this other than either "mothers shouldn't value their kids if they're boring, blonde, and white" or "I don't value kid lives if they're boring, blonde, and white" and either way....yuck. I hope I'm wrong.

I think another way to read the post in question is this movie spent absolutely no effort or time giving the children characters personalities despite those characters be at the absolute emotional center of the movie. Those kids are hardly more than cardboard cut outs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Even the idea that they were fake constructs from half remembered bad TV doesn't track because these kids did exist as real live people in different universes.

Papercut posted:

Was the kids singing about ice cream supposed to endear them to me? Because it didn't at all and I even have two boys of similar age

Very same. It was like they tossed "Add kids character development scene here" in the original script but then let an algorithm write what was eventually added.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is there any way to watch From that isn't subscribing to EPIX? Because I am definitely not subscribing to EPIX.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Joe Pera is in that weird place where most people aren't gonna go for it but if it clicks for you it's a big big click. Small but dedicated viewership is probably not a great model for streaming services.

With the presumably tiny production costs hopefully those dedicated folks can do something to bring the show back, though I'm not sure what. Patreon?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the only people that use "soy" and "cringe" as part of their regular speaking vocabularies are comfortably in their late 30s.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Counterpoint, it's a tremendous show for your wife to watch while you're listening to podcasts/audiobooks and doing chores in the evening because it looks pretty whenever you glance over and triggers zero feelings of missing out.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I liked Barbarian. Weirdly believable characters given the situation.

Like our heroine, I was feeling sympathetic for the terrible monster that just wanted to be a good mom by the end.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

mutantIke posted:

American Vandal is one of the best mockumentaries ever made and I cry myself to sleep at night knowing there will never be a third season.

There is a similarly inflected show by the same creators called Players on Paramount streaming. Another mokumentary following some less than fully self aware professional League of Legends gamers.

Personally thought it was even better than both seasons of American Vandal.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A MIRACLE posted:

My wife and I have been watching bee and puppy cat, it’s a twee hipster millennial show it’s pretty chill and good tv if you’ve eaten too many weed gummies

I really enjoy the animation style. Very 80s anime with some softer modern elements. It's like if one of those lofi chillhop videos had a story

Top tier show to fall asleep to.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Rouge One definitely sucks. That's been a major disincentive to watching Andor.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A MIRACLE posted:

My wife wanted to watch the Santa clause so we watched that. Then she wanted to watch the Santa clause 2 and so we watched that. Then she wanted to watch the Santa clause three so we watched that too. Then she wanted to watch the clauses so we watched that too

:sever:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Agreed. Her natural charisma overcomes the spotty acting. Especially for a role like this which is 95% about charm.

Movie is still mediocre.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I have people whose taste I actually respect recommending me Andor. Like people not into any stupid poo poo. People who werent emotionally moved by Spider-Man A Far Way Home or w/e that one with homeless mentally ill willem dafoe is. It's scary and it might eventually convince me.

Andor is a series of films about authoritarianism and revolution.The Star Wars setting is candy coating for man children that magically works.

It's a real good show.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
As some with the same warm feelings for Brick as a highschooler, you probably want to leave that one in the past.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ymgve posted:

I really disliked Patriot...

This is a totally legitimate point and I don't care at all. The vibe, the humour, the acting, the scene construction, the music, and on and on. I love everything about Patriot.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Joe Pera Talks With You

"Fall Drive" is probably my personal favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They do, but I didn't take it as anti-soviet. More an accurate reflection of decision-making in the halls of power.