Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The internet as a whole is what ruined all of that anyway, and while I'm completely in favor of permanently destroying the internet and banning all computers of any kind I don't see that happening.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Netflix is constantly telling me to rate things and I hate it.

I don't know if any of you remember, but Netflix used to have a star system. I rated everything I watched, starting when I got disc Netflix back in 2007. One day they just chucked the whole thing in the trash. No warning. Years of ratings, gone. I will never forget that, Netflix. I will never rate anything on your platform again.

I was a call center agent when this happened, and it did, uh, not get a positive response from customers at large when it was implemented, fwiw

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Hopefully 2022 is the year Netflix finally goes down, it's really not doing great right now.

On the other hand, people were begging for a "play random whatever" feature, and when it was implemented it turned out just as horrible as I thought it would. Kids show, fireplace, kids show, insanely violent horror movie, sitcom, why would people want this

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does Seinfeld look like total poo poo on Netflix for anyone else? It’s not the actual streaming quality, because I can stream other stuff in HD and 4K just fine. I don’t know if it’s the way they upscaled it or what, but it’s just constantly artifacting, especially on skin tones and anything warm.

The biggest thing I noticed was the camera man's inability to focus the camera in Jerry's apartment. The plus side is that you get to check out all his cereal and the stuff on his desk. There's a Magic: The Gathering box back there in at least one episode

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I finally watched Don't Look Up, it was really good. I wonder if people who didn't like it felt like it was a scold, or were frustrated that whichever character didn't perfectly line up with whichever political figure they thought they were meant to represent. "You're going to be eaten by a 'bronteroc.' We don't know what it means!" made me laugh every time I thought of it for the next day, and had a perfect payoff.

0/10 too realistic

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Suicide Squad is mostly bad, but there's a part in the middle where it becomes a Doctor Who episode for twenty or thirty minutes, complete with Doctor Who.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So you're saying it gets worse

I hate Doctor Who too so I just sort of recognized that it happened, I can't help but like Peter Capaldi though

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tokelau All Star posted:

I watched Doctor Who from Eccleston to the middle if Capaldi's run before I realized it sucked. I have no excuse. It was the first British show I ever watched, so I guess I thought it was supposed to be lovely.

I've seen pretty much all of it, I live with a die hard fan but I won't be stockholmed

e I haven't watched Peacemaker yet, but I hate him so much from the movie I'm not sure how much fun I'll have watching it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Overall, Veep was enjoyable and I was hooked through much of it, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is fantastic in it. But I feel that the series just doesn't stick the landing.

To me the biggest disappointment was not finding a better payoff for the Labor Day thing they set up. It turns out to be a boat? She looks like she's going to cry when she brings it up a season or two earlier and it's a boat??

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

It's the exact same joke that they made about Rocket Raccoon in GotG and Avengers.

Edit:

Here's maybe a not so hot take about Encanto on Disney+. While I absolutely love the movie and it had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish, one thing that bothers me is that, despite all their efforts to show what a loving family this is, in reality they're pretty incredibly emotionally abusive. They talk about what a gift each person's special powers is, and then when it comes to Bruno and Mirabel, they're a curse to the family. Not the manipulative Tia Pepa who forces everyone to be at her every beck and call lest she cause a thunderstorm in the living room, or the emotionally cold and withholding grandmother who treats you like poo poo and that you don't exist if you don't have powers or less than becoming powers. It takes the threat of everyone losing their powers before they learn the lesson not to treat their family like poo poo. It's kind of depressing in some ways.

And this is why I think Encanto sucks. I also hate the songs, but I know I'm the only person on earth who does so I won't defend that hill too vigorously.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

The first two episodes of Raised by Wolves season 2 are up on HBO Max.

I wonder if this will be an easy rewatch since it's just the one season or an extremely difficult rewatch because it's Raised by Wolves.

e I think Jeff Goldblum provided his own wardrobe for Search Party and The World According to Jeff Goldblum

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 4, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

kazil posted:

Wasn't Tinder Swindler in that marvel movie with Benadryl Cabbagepatch?

That was doctor strangelove

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ghosted on Hulu is bad. I like Craig Robinson and Adam Scott, and there's a few points where you can see how it could have been a fun show, but it's not looking very functional after 3 episodes.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It was a Fox show four years ago. It's long dead.

Oh, I only just noticed it on my Hulu, nice work me

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It seems like they had a bunch of ideas for action scenes left over from Ready Player One and couldn't figure out a believable setting for the action scenes they wanted to use, so they made Free Guy. There's some individual parts that are fun in a vacuum and even some neat ideas, but they don't connect very well. It's like a movie version of an internet meme.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E nm

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Undying with anticipation

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1496940658661244938?t=8KvZQ5DqwQIzeet38sAdKg&s=19

E he was originally taking about Wellington Paranormal

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1496939954794020867?t=XNurWRjb0nQkP0H80UbRkQ&s=19

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

HBO Max doesn't have Tales from the Crypt or Witch Hunt so what's the fuckin point

I asked about that a while ago, apparently you have to go to YouTube for Tales From the Crypt because of copyright hell

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Was that before or after he got buff?

During? His thing just hadn't been played out for twenty years at that point, so he was the most memorable part. I loved that movie when I was in high school, I knew it wasn't great but it reminded me of the job I was working, right down to the parking lot of the restaurant.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

It didn't deliver on its promise. I thought it looked and sounded good without ever being particularly scary or intriguing.

It had some really cool high points, but then it really went off course towards the end, and then the last shot of the finale removed any interest I had in watching it again.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When I worked at Netflix I eventually just started telling people with Smart TVs and Chromecasts to buy a basic Roku. I got a lot of calls over Smart TVs, and Chromecasts were just too complicated for some people. Please always connect your streaming device directly to your modem or router via Ethernet wire.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There's a Japanese show on Netflix called Old Enough where kids run errands by themselves while a narrator makes fun of them.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's constructed to funnel people to new stuff while obfuscating the amount of content actually available

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mystes posted:

Does that actually make sense though?

Like when Netflix switched to mostly original content it made sense to hide the small amount of content, but now they would surely be served better by promoting their back catalog more effectively.

If people cancel their subscriptions because they don't realize there's other content they might be interested in, that's not actually helping.

There's still a recommendation system, the line when I worked at customer service was that rating stuff does change what you're presented with. I know it works on Hulu at least, after a week or two of watching The X-Files I'm being bombarded with 90s nostalgia shows.

e and I guess sending new stuff to people would help determine whether original content survives or it's worth renewing licensing for shows

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Somebody should start a streaming network with the blockbuster name and logo, it could still work

e oops, they consigned themselves to dish network purgatory forever, never mind

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

Pentaverate is insanely stupid and I love it

It certainly swings for the fence. It's not as bad as Barb and Starr.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

that's a shame, because Barb and Starr owns

Except for the talking club scene, it completely missed me.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

So I Married an Axe Murderer extended universe, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo

Dammit this makes the show so much better, it was his passion project

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I hate Amazon, the interface on the PS4 sucks and is packed with ads and things to trick you into spending money. Only barely related: I searched my home video app on my PS4 for a movie, it didn't come up, but then it did come up when I searched while actually in the HBOMax app; something to keep in mind if you don't find something right away in other apps and searching your device's home screen doesn't help.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Signs was not good. In a surprise Shyamalon-esque twist, his best movie was Unbreakable.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

After watching a few episodes of The Closer, I've decided the chief detective is a complete villain and crime is good.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I don't want to act like the show ever went ACAB, since it was a TNT procedural, but for what it's worth they kind of acknowledge that Sedgewick's character is a pretty iffy person at best and the satisfying victories in the show only come when she's unleashed on worse people. I didn't watch many of the early episodes, but by the end they have some plot points in play to that effect.

Timby posted:

The last two seasons are pretty much entirely about how her history of being terrible lands her in extremely hot water.

I joined someone else watching near the beginning of season 5, and she is all about threatening people with the death penalty and covering up police misconduct. My favorite moment so far is probably her taking a nurse call button away from someone in a hospital bed so she could interrogate them without their lawyer. Then they'll bookend the episode with her being sad about her cat. I don't know, it's just a show, but as I get older and the news gets more horrifying the more I recognize as awful in cop shows. Parts of it are exciting at least, and if you like the cop parts of Law and Order more than the court parts it's probably good. Does Major Crimes end up being better?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 20, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Finished rewatching Party Down on Hulu for the second or third time. What a perfect little joy of a show. Half hour episodes, a meta story contained in a way that it works as the background for the whole thing, and just two seasons to avoid the slump in quality that starts to happen to almost any series longer than that. I don't want a third season, I just wish there were more shows like it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

There's going to be a third season - they finished filming it in March.

Ok well I didn't specifically say I'd be mad if there was a third season...

e What We Do in the Shadows though, work all those people until they're dead, I want as many seasons as Gray's Anatomy

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Finally we can get more That’s My Bush! thanks trump network!

One of these days Laura, I'm gonna punch you in the face

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

:frogsiren: Darkplace is on Prime :frogsiren:

It's an 80s horror series set in a hospital, presented with commentary by the highly respected author who wrote it and the hotshot producer who brought it all together. Maybe Matt Berry's best, but I can't find a place to watch Toast of London.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Darkplace is not a comedy, it's terrifying and the network couldn't handle it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I know it's old news, but I'm watching Love, Death & Robots. It's ridiculously violent at times, but the shorts overall range from at least passable to excellent. The animation in some of them is impressive; I didn't even realize "The Secret War" was CG until a few minutes in.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Truth Seekers on Prime is an accurate depiction of what it's like to be a cable guy and hunt ghosts at the same time. It's the rare horror/comedy that's actually funny and actually scary(ish), plus it has Malcom McDowell and grown up cinematography to boot. I was hooked when they referenced Toynbee, but there's also numbers stations, witchcraft, and cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've been dreaming again for the first time in a while as a consequence of smoking less weed, and literally every dream I've had has been about or in some way involved Severance.