Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Peaky Blinders has become painful to watch now that every episode is a series of music videos set to music I don't like, plus the teeth-grinding aggravation of knowing that nobody is going to put a bullet in Oswald Moseley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
When Netflix became a big thing, I predicted that one or two companies would just absorb everything and put everything on streaming. Instead there are a dozen different overpriced networks that don't maintain a back catalogue at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

withak posted:

Is "quippy" when every character talks like they are posting on the internet?
"Quippy" isn't quite on the money because the root problem isn't that characters are constantly quipping. It's that they act like they're watching the movie and giving it the RiffTrax treatment, immediately signaling to the audience that none of this matters and you'd be stupid to get invested in it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

mystes posted:

Consider that literally the entire point of the "alt right" is to take gross far right stuff and try to make it sound mainstream so it will percolate into normal discourse
Another thing they like to do is coopt stuff like "drinking milk" or "liking Taylor Swift" so they can get ordinary liberal people to argue about it and make liberal sensibilities look ridiculous.

That said, I wish there was a better term for a certain type of person I think we're all familiar with, whose entire existence revolves around milequetoast pop culture fandom.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems like Rhaenyra's whole storyline is going to be them trying to make up to the audience for what they did with Daenerys in the last season.

I also suspect that this fellow named Daemon is a bad egg.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
The JW movie was bad, but I thought the last one was at least kinda interesting.

I think it says something that even mainstream all-ages blockbusters are showing us hypercapitalist dystopias. What it says specifically I have no idea

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Sometimes it feels like everything is either a miniseries-length plot crammed into a movie, or a movie-length plot stretched out into 3+ seasons of television.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Wolfsheim posted:

Both Idol episodes have followed the structure of 'mildly interesting management team drama that goes on a little too long' for the first half and then 'the weeknd and the depp daughter in the shittiest music video you've ever seen that never ends' for the second half
I don't know why the show is getting so much attention. From the online buzz I assumed everyone but me had marathoned the whole season, then I realized there are only two episodes out. It's just another show. It's a show about a pop singer meeting the vampire from that Key & Peele sketch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I saw Aloha (2015, Cameron Crowe) with my in laws a couple weeks ago and it's one of the weirdest loving movies I've ever seen. I don't want to imply that it was interesting. It did feel like peeking into the head of a Hollywood bigwig in his late 50s. I feel certain this was the first thing he wrote after his divorce and it just took some time to get it made.

Bradley Cooper plays the most handsome, intelligent, virtuous, wonderful man alive, according to everyone he talks to. They're all just disappointed in him because he's afraid to commit to a serious relationship. He has that conversation with literally every character in the movie, including his ex's kids. Everyone in this movie really, really cares about Bradley Cooper's love life for some reason. There's also a plot concerning building a military base on indigenous Hawaiian land, a satellite, and an evil billionaire that's total loving gibberish.

Movies like this make me feel like I'm not at the top of my game. I go out looking for The Worst Movies Ever Made and end up watching stuff like Mondo Cannibale or A Wife's Nightmare or anything by David DeCoteau, while renowed Hollywood directors are putting out stuff like this and I'm totally missing it because I don't pay attention to entire genres.

Anyway, it's on Starz.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 14, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Famethrowa posted:

the most incredible thing from that movie was casting Emma Stone as a Chinese/native Hawaiian officer named Allison Ng :psyduck:
I feel like they were lucky with that. Like, the whitewashing distracted from the way the plot centers on a Cuban Missile Crisis level disaster, but everybody treats it like Bill Murray was just cheating on his taxes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
They're all remarkably bad at implementing the basic concept of "watching the next episode of the show you watched last night"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I hope more shows will go the Better Call Saul route and do intros that are just 10-second bits of eyecatch.

That, or get Gary Portnoy and John Sebastian to compose a heartwarming song for literally every show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Yeah, last night it wanted me to rewatch the episode of Vice Principals I just watched.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
It's like how Spotify wants me to do absolutely anything but listen to a playlist that I created.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s really hard to tell what’s incompetence and what’s a dark pattern these days

It's demoniacally malignant; you can always be Engaging more with the Brand, the Content is just bait. There's nothing you can ever do to satisfy It, It will never leave you alone to watch your stories.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I just learned that the theme song of Cheers contains the line "And your husband wants to be a girl." What was going on in Gary Portnoy's life in 1982?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I get Hulu with ads for free, but I'm weary of seeing the same ads again and again. The Algorithm finally realized I don't have children or dogs, and only shows me ads for therapy, hair loss treatment, and dick pills. I resent the assumption that I need dick pills.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah. I'll put Dredd over Raid 2 though. I know people loved that but a lot of the magic for me of the original was the single location and how tight and restrained it all was and honestly it just goes full cartoonish in a way that wasn't really that fun for me (baseball bat guy and hammer girl are just corny and parts of their fights don't even look that great) and felt like more of just a conventional action film or some kind of Joe Carnahan bullshit where they just got more money to work with
Yeah, it's not like the action in The Raid is perfectly realistic, but the sequel is a much more conventional modern-day kung fu flick with zany themed assassins and one-on-one standoffs. The original created a believable context for this guy forced to Silat his way through a building full of machete-wielding street thugs, and the second has a cool guy who kills people with baseballs. It feels straight out of a grisly-but-silly manga, and on that basis it's still worth a watch, IMO.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 17, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Dredd is the superior film because Karl Urban is dreamy, even under the helmet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Brocktoon posted:

My take on Saw is that clearly the writer/director showed people his short film and supporters said “This is great! You should expand it into a feature!” But he didn’t have anything else to say, so he didn’t expand it, just EXTENDED it, making it way too long and boring. The mood was great, just not sustainable for 90 minutes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
drat, I miss Marathon. Isn't that free now? I'm going to play Marathon tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nemesis 2 > Nemesis. The first movie is a fun hodgepodge of cyberpunk cliches where Olivier Gruner tries his damndest to be Harrison Ford in Blade Runner, and fails because he's not even a poor man's Harrison Ford, he's a poor man's Jean Claude Van Damme. But it's still fun. The sequel is a fever-dream of a film where a Lady Conan fights the PredaTerminator. They do degenerate into boring crap after that, though.

I haven't seen the doc, but I did read Jenette McCurdy's biography wherein Dan Schneider was only referred to as The Creator, creeped on her and other child actors, and instead of firing him they just curtailed his role so he didn't have direct contact with the talent. He's a pedophile.

But yeah, if they're suggesting that all the slime in All That was down to Dan Schneider being a pedophile...did it slip their minds that the show was a replacement for You Can't Do That On Television?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2024