Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Not sure how Netflix is in the US, but here in Norway their pre-2000 library is way too small and the pre-1980 library is practically nonexistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where is this "Almost everything Netflix puts out is crap!" coming from?

Looking at their "latest" page it doesn't seem to have a worse good/crap ratio than say Hulu's.

I may actually watch this show since it's getting such good word of mouth.

Like 90% of the Netflix produced movies they push on the front page has an IMDB rating of 5/10

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just watch Rear Window again

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Aglet56 posted:

What? Munich kicks rear end. Okay yes the sex scene at the end is very over the top but generally speaking I love it. That part where Eric bana goes nuts and slices up his hotel room looking for a bomb is great stuff

I assume they're talking about the TV series Munich: The Edge of War that came out last year

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Why do they even bother authenticating it? Wouldn't their doctrine demand destroying all art that evokes emotions, including prints and reproductions?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
HBO Max got me hooked with a "half price for life" offer, at least until the inevitable price hike

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know what to tell you, man. Comedy's subjective but also Jackass is an extremely popular franchise, comparing it to prank youtubers is just straight up stupid. There's four Jackass movies, there are 0 PrankMasterAnthony movies.
Also if you hang around people who don't think Jackass is funny I would recommend finding better people to hang out with.

Prank youtubers/tiktokers are extremely popular with certain age groups, that we don't like them doesn't make them less popular

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The (uneseen) antagonist's world moves backwards in time, and is on a collision course with our forward moving world, and will be erased once the timelines meet or some poo poo. So to them it's a battle for their world to survive. The bad guy we see is just a pawn and just wants gold. (As far as I recall, it's been a while)

Apart from that, nothing in the movie makes sense once you think about it outside the context of a cool movie scene.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Worst case scenario: The whole final episode will be a flashback episode.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Chris James 2 posted:

The pilot was maybe my least favorite of the three episodes; each are solid but the show finds its groove in the second episode for sure and I think anybody giving the show a try should at least finish that before deciding whether or not to stick with it. Watanabe's pretty good so far but I'm most interested in what's next for Sho Kasamatsu (Sato of the Chihara-kai family)

It was lacking those big name overlays that are in the Yakuza games, though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I'm still dumbstruck by the fact that The Batman never ever considered looking into his own family's history, or know literally anything about the mob that's running "his" city.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I mean, I'd be pissed if they suddenly took The Wire and Sopranos off to rotate them, I assume that's stuff that BonoMan meant with "their own" catalog

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SLOSifl posted:

I think Old was the first episode of Pitch Meeting I watched. I don't know how this guy hasn't gotten on my nerves yet because I still enjoy almost every episode of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXMyxkJQV4

So I haven't watched this movie but did the bad scientists make the beach or just use a pre-existing magic beach? Not sure which one would be dumber...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just watched Chip and Dale. What a fever dream of a movie.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

snoot posted:

Not to split hairs, but in case it's not clear from the description Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is a 2004 comedy about a fictional 80s Channel 4 TV show. Also has Richard Ayoade and Julian Barrett. It's very good!

"She was like a candle in the wind. Unreliable."

But if you want something that fits the original description and is not a comedy, track down a subbed version of Lars von Trier's "Riget" (The Kingdom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McczZo-u4o

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I watched a few episodes of Barry and it's weird, I didn't care that he was murdering people, but when he started going all Nice Guy on that girl a few episodes in I hated his character with my whole heart and stopped watching

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

A MIRACLE posted:

im goin thru the hbo max library now is there anything that stands out? I watched hacks already it was v good

I assume you're looking for newer things that aren't Sopranos or The Wire? But if not, Sopranos and The Wire.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

A MIRACLE posted:

lol the newest Only Murders in the Building did a gag on the bird theory from the staircase the bird theory? a fuckin bird? a fuckin parrot?

That’s just a coincidence. Murder victim had a parrot, remember?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

GonSmithe posted:

Evil whips rear end. It's the perfect level of campy and serious at the same time, and they do overrarching plot->monster of the week better than most shows.

It was a bit too dumb when the vatican dudes where like "we don't understand this map of symbols" and there is a description of one of them on loving wikipedia

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I got a permanent 50% off on HBO Max a while ago, bet that won’t be honored if they roll into a WB sub service

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
bittorent isnt the way to go because it's all separate torrents, we need to bring back edonkey and direct connect where you share out all your media at once

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

precision posted:

bro just google "thepiratebay", the real one will always be the first result

Not for me, it's one of the proxies

The real domain is "thepiratebay.org" but it might be filtered on DNS level by your ISP. Works with Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

A MIRACLE posted:

I know prey is a predator verse movie but I keep mixing it up with the video game from like 2008 that was also about native Americans fighting off an alien threat or something, also called prey

sad that you don't mix it up with the 2017 video game with the same title that was much better than (and completely unrelated to) the 2008 one

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Just watched Barbarian and it was pretty good! Appreciate movies that emphasize the true monsters of society oops it's White dudes again

one of the cops were black tho!

but for real, I was fearing they would end the movie with the same cops blasting her away after someone reported the gun shot. thankfully they didn't go that bleak

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Goons always turn around and claim they've always hated popular acclaimed stuff after a few years. Happens a lot with games.

Started watching Lower Decks and find it quite enjoyable. Turns out Star Trek is much better when every episode is 20 minutes and doesn't take itself seriously.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone else confused by why they replaced Andor with an idiot clone on the beach planet then replaced him back when he left that planet?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Huh? I thought the entire thing spiraled out in a very realistic fashion.

There's nothing he could have done once that Trooper started talking to him. It's a police state, that's the point.

It should have never gotten that far, is what I mean. Here is one of the people that did the most notorious heist in recent history and he is just bumbling along the beach with no situational awareness

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
And if not, we always have the pirates of the seven seas.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
While waiting for Glass Onion, I just started watching See How They Run. I didn't know it had The Mousetrap play as a backdrop! I do wonder if that means they took the twist from that play too.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Enos Cabell posted:

I was talking poo poo on the new Cyberpunk 2077 anime a few months back ITT. Well I went back to it, swapped voices from english to japanese (which I should have done from the start) and now I kinda love it. Everyone has probably seen it or skipped it by now, but I figured I should probably atone.

The English voices feel much more natural in the context of the setting, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I watched white noise because a lot of people are talking about it. Its a pretty bad generic horror movie. Dunno why it suddenly got so popular. Not even Micheal Keaton could save it.

I also thought everyone were suddenly rediscovering a movie from 2005

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The Menu is now out on HBO Max (not in my region though...), it's supposed to be good

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I wonder about the whisper part in The Menu - do you think the writers have what he said in the script or do they just say «he whispers something truly profound beyond even our imagination»?

My wild theory for what was said: «I put my piss, poo poo and spit in every single thing you ate tonight, and you loving loved it. It was the best tasting meal you’ve ever had in your life.»

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
If you liked Nathan For You and The Rehearsal, there's a new series on Peacock called Paul T Goodman. It's quite a trip so far.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

precision posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Parts of this are true???? Lmao

the book is real, at least

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Not quite feeling Poker Face. It just seems less like detectiving and more like stumbling into poo poo when she has an infallible lie detector that's always on.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

fez_machine posted:

What episodic detective series aren't this?

I mean, in other shows the main character has to do some initial investigation and isn’t even sure who the killer could be. Here it’s just klaxons going off as a character lies about a death.

Also the ending of episode 1 was dumb as hell. So you know these guys have already killed twice to protect their whale. And you just cut loose that very same whale. Why are you going BACK to meet up with them? Why are you still even in the same city, or even state as them??

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I would assume "wifi" is just shorthand for "your home network's external IP address", if not this is even more dumb than it already is

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I really disliked Patriot because the concept felt so dumb. Going deep undercover at a real company because...they wanted to bring some money to Luxembourg. I thought maybe it was to give him a valid reason to go to Iran or something, but no, they do an exchange in loving Luxembourg. The CIA has a billion fake companies and even fake airlines set up expressly for the purpose of transporting poo poo covertly around the world, just use one of those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

1glitch0 posted:

Hulu only has season 1-3. I don't know where if anywhere s4 and 5 are going to be once Netflix takes them off. One other thing I've noticed is Hulu appears to have longer versions of some of the episodes. Or at least the pilot.

have s4-s5 been released on bluray? if not, there's always piracy.

(and it's a bit sad that pirates are as always the caretakers of digital history, since the companies themselves don't care enough)