Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s wild that there’s a new Scream movie out but none of the other scream movies are available for streaming.

Makes about as much sense as HBO max having all the nightmare movies except for part 4 and paramount having all the Friday the 13th movies except for parts 3 and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Really upset that Tubi has all the Lake Placid and all the Anaconda sequels, but not the Lake Placid vs. Anaconda crossover.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They have a “vhs vault” version of Day of the Dead on Tubi that’s a 4x3 center cut version that was either duped off an analog tape or has a video filter over it. Noticed the only other title available with that format was a doc about vhs horror.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should get rid of the DVD in the mail pay tier and make that inclusive in the whole package again. I need to watch Urban Legends Bloody Mary and physical media seems the only place I can find it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you have Shudder, the new season of Joe Bob's Last Drive-In starts tomorrow.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just finished the first episode of Ozark and it comes across as “Breaking Bad: Republican Edition”.

I got enough of that with the Shield/Wire comparisons.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alongside Kanopy, there’s also Hoopla that works with your library card.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have films ever been made with ad breaks, or is this a potential new Rubicon that we could be crossing with ad supported streaming tiers?

Typically the pipeline for a film to be aired on, say, free TV, would involve the films are edited into single units, which then have their airing rights sold to a chanel, which then re edits them into ad breaks. Or, at least, that's my experience of it.

But with the way streaming works, are we gonna see more, or possible all non-theatrically released films, come with built-in ad breaks?

Film reels are more or less 15-20 minutes and some filmmakers would pace their act structure for the reel change.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope you guys aren’t sleeping on the Seth Green classic, Ticks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The director seems like the kind of guy who would lie about reading Blood Meridian

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hostiles was the better Bone Tomahawk and Shot Caller was the better Cell Block 99.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gomorrah is extremely legit, I’ll have to check out ZeroZeroZero

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

That Hulu documentary on the sound cloud rapper xxxtactioananne or whatever the gently caress his name is is fascinating. I’d barely heard of him, but What an absolute piece of loving poo poo this kid was.

Sounds like a typical American to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

For some reason I heard this in Creedy's voice from V For Vendetta.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I watched Mad God and Dr Strange 2 back to back and the visuals in Strange 2 were really underwhelming compared to Mad God.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Octy posted:

Actually watching Hap go on a bender was pretty good too.

Demonic Toys is what Puppet Master could have been...

The crossover movie is unwatchable

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought he got abducted by aliens in Fire In The Sky

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

is anyone else feeling more or less lukewarm on The Bear? it's a pretty good hangout show and I'm enjoying lounging while soaking in the show...but it's so nothing. Beyond a few sketchy outlines, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about any of the characters.

Chicago deserves a better show :colbert:

We've already been blessed with Southside.

But yeah, The Bear is just extremely okay. Too many cartoonish caricatures, it definitely feels like an outsider's perception of Chicago.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 20, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Westworld was just the primer to get everyone’s frame of mind ready for the Rehearsal.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The entire David Simon catalog on hbo, in order.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

precision posted:

The Card Counter is easily my new favorite Paul Schrader movie. his stuff always has the most weird juxtapositions of themes, like how First Reformed was all about global warming

Hell yeah

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Srice posted:

As a man I love to "lean in" and watch scripted content by appointment only.

who's gonna buy the dip

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, it’s a movie called Prey, there’s a whole little sequence showing a cute bug eaten by a cute mouse who’s eaten by a mean snake, not to mention the hard cut from fun axe throwing montage to a hike with a bunch of skinned rabbits. A bunch of critters get the business in that movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Slight spoiler for Nope safety on a movie set with live animals is a plot point in the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Isn’t meth predator just the guy from I Come In Peace?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

yoohoo posted:

After Hours isn’t quite what I’m looking for. I guess I probably didn’t need the “less emphasis on horror” amendment, I just meant that I’m not looking for pure horror movies. Sci-fi horror, action horror, something horror adjacent, in an urban setting. Like it’s not a haunted house or a setting where the characters are secluded and alone - the idea of a community having to deal with a crisis if some kind, be it supernatural, an otherworldly entity, government shenanigans etc is more what I’m thinking.

The People Under the Stairs and Candyman fit this quite nicely.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 10, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Prime Video is, essentially, the DVD aisle at Best Buy circa 2013. You'll find some good stuff, but you have to sift through a lot of crap.

Tubi is that mom and pop rental store that has so many movies they have to break down the video boxes and put them in flat sleeves in comic book long boxes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is Prey filmed in Comanche as the original language or was it filmed in English and dubbed Comanche?

It was filmed in English with a couple of lines spoken in Comanche on screen to pepper in during the English version, the Comanche dub is re-recorded and dubbed over, except for those few lines of Comanche in the English version, and the french spoken by the fur trappers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When watching Sandman, all I can think of is Christopher’s description of hell from the Sopranos.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked the part in she-hulk where they’re just smashing poo poo in a pissing contest while overall trying to relegate the destruction their rage-fueled power causes. Hulk just casually causing earthquakes that’ll gently caress up any sound based animals in the area. She-Hulk going clap crazy and just shredding any birds or small game animals caught in the wake, Hulk launching a meteor sized boulder and just not giving a poo poo when and where it comes down.

Awesome, insightful stuff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s not that it’s unrealistic violence, it’s the fact that it’s trying to comment on realistic violence through Bruce’s trauma, then saying no, this is actually good and funny because tv violence has no consequence, so go hog wild and throw desks around crowded courtrooms with people, because it is tv, and so we get to enjoy this spectacle with no little or manufactured fallout. Like I said, insightful stuff into the mentality of the MCU.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

podcast

No thanks

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Reservation Dogs! Just finished the first season and it was much better than I was anticipating.

Res Dogs and This Fool are pretty loving good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They just added White Water Summer. Makes for a hell of a double feature with the River Wild.

Too bad River’s Edge isn’t streaming anywhere.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I was looking at popular new streaming rentals on Amazon and saw "Barbarians" at the top. And that it was also free to watch with an AMC trial so I figured why not. I'll check out this new, highly rated horror movie (that I've never watched a trailer for). About half way through this boring rear end home invasion movie I try to google it and realize "barbarian" is the actual movie and "Barbarians" is some completely unremarkable thing from 2019. I guess it's getting some sort of renaissance from other confused people like me because why the gently caress would some mediocre rear end, movie from 2019 be at the stop of streaming rentals lol.

This happened to me with the movie Escape Room

I was really hoping you accidentally watched the 80s Barbarian Bros movie tho

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I've only ever watched the very first Hellraiser but I'm curious if the series has sunk to a level of desperation such that one of the movies has a Pinhead origin story.

I can hear the pitch. "Sure, we all know and fear and *cheer* for Pinhead the Cenobite, but we've never gotten to know Pinhead the man.

He was born Pinkerton Head, the only son of a famous acupuncturist...."

His origin is revealed in part 2

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

isaboo posted:

Does Hill House take a minute to get going? I've tried a couple of times but haven't gotten past the 2nd episode.

I didn't like Midnight Mass and I can't get into Midnight Club, either. Maybe the Mike Flanaverse just isn't for me. I do see he's got The Fall Of The House Of Usher coming out next, and the cast is stacked... Mark Hamill included!

Can’t wait to hear his spooky joker voice

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The original or the remake?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Are the early sopranos seasons only available in 4x3 or were they remastered after everything switched to 16x9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

jesus wept