Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Vince is scum but that weekly TV show where it was just him and The Brain trading insults and watching promos was some funny poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jamesman posted:

And then Trump called to find out if Vince was really dead or not.

I can't remember if that was the death angle, or the one where Vince was crushed by the stage, that they ended up cancelling because a real wrestler death ended up happening a few days later.

Didn't the stock price also drop and they had to release a statement?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Peggy Edson posted:

That was when Donald Trump "bought" Raw and ran a commercial free show.

lol Maybe Trump really will buy it and everything will be a shoot.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I grew up watching NWA/WCW as well as the USWA or whatever the Memphis territory was called. It was run by Jerry Jarrett who is the father of Jeff Jarrett. Its also where Andy Kaufman had his legendary feud with Jerry Lawler.

This channel has tons of old footage and, last time I checked, nearly every weekly installment of the Kaufman/Lawler story.

https://www.youtube.com/user/popculturestu

There's also a documentary called I'm From Hollywood which also includes some highlights.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Trump started this feud because Rosie said something on The View about how he's a horrible business man and a joke, which anyone from NYC knows. This was at the height of his realty show popularity and also when he started his Twitter addiction.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

loling at disney owning Stone Cold Steve Austin

Ya know, I would play the poo poo out of a Lego WWE video game. Like you could have the Stone Cold, Booker T grocery store fight as a map.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I grew up in Kentucky which meant every Saturday at Noon was CWA out of Memphis on channel 3. This is the same territory were Jerry Lawler had his famous feud with Andy Kaufman as show in the 1989 documentary, I'm From Hollywood. This YouTube channel has nearly the entire weekly saga if you care to watch . https://www.youtube.com/user/popculturestu

In addition to Lawler, you had Bill Dundee, Austin Idol, Tommy Wildfire Rich, Nick Bockwinkel, Jimmy Hart, even Harvey Wippleman as Downtown Bruno. This is also where Jeff Jarrett debuted. They did a house show every Tuesday at Louisville Gardens and it the crowds were always just insane and the cards always delivered. Just curious if any of you historians have anything to add about this.

Oh and we had Cornette around too back then. Some of y'all might get a kick out of his look here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMeeUhQ2NUg

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched this a couple weeks ago. I'd seen some of this but not the entire saga and never realized how long it actually went on. God drat, Kaufman could really get those people hating his guts.

I was part of those crowds a few times and yes, it was insane. Keep in mind this was when people thought wrestling was real.

Lawler going to the WWF was really strange at first because of his change of character. I also recall Virgil wrestling as Soul Train Jones and was getting a huge push and then just disappeared one week. Then he started showing up on WWF as Virgil and I never saw him wrestle again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, you don't have to tell me. Even in the Philadelphia area where I grew up there were a lot of people that thought the same thing. Especially 10 and 12 year old kids that watched all this poo poo since we only had like 5 channels to watch and wrestling was on all the time, especially during the weekends after Saturday morning cartoons. In Dover, Delaware when is stayed with my grandmom sometimes it was NASCAR races, soap operas, game shows, some church poo poo and a LOT of wrestlin. The difference seemed to me that, for the most part, most of the people that didn't know it was fake were literally children but I'm not so sure about the deep south.

In my experience, wrestling was like religion in the deep south. CWA matches were always featured on the sports section of the local 6:00 news. Jerry Lawler could do not wrong in Memphis and was almost as big as Elvis. Anytime he'd drop the strap off his shoulder crowds would just roar.

We never watched WWF because the Saturday morning show they had was kinda boring and you had the occasional Saturday Night's Main Event but it would be all promos and then go off air right as the match was about to end, making it a cliffhanger so you'd have to watch their next show.

Most towns got TBS as well so there was WCW and occasionally NWA. Wrestlemania 3 is the time when we all got interested due to the Hogan and Andre match. I do recall that WWF was the only company that entered the home video market so we became bigger fans as we watched those over and over. Maybe there were others but WWF had the most and put them out regularly.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Weekly guest hosts like SNL

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Found these posted on reddit today.

This is the I'm From Hollywood documentary and I have really hard time beveling all the stars in here are Kayfabe and think it was real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCQPpS08Lg

Lawler recounts the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaA9ctSNOFw

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 1, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been going down a Lawler rabbit hole from that link I posted and he seems like a really cool dude. He's a good story teller and obviously has a ton of inside information to share.

I wouldn't read his book if you don't want this image shattered. I say that as a fan of Lawler.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lawler is certainly not the worst when you look at all the other poo poo that's happened. Like, I'm pretty sure he never killed anyone or covered up a murder.

In 1993 he was indicted in Louisville, KY on charges of statutory rape and sodomy of a 15-year old girl. Charges were dropped after the girl claimed nothing happened. His books also details his married to Stacey Carter and how he basically stalked her when she tried to leave him. She was 19 when they met and (he would have been in his 50s) and he was also married at the time.

He may not drink or take drugs but women are definitely his vice. He's a typical, "I can sleep with whoever I want but my wife must remain faithful to me" types.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Truly a shame about his son :smith:

It is. I know Lawler filed a wrongful death suit but I never heard anything else on it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Another Raw Report would be good

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

im saint germain posted:

Mae Young was a national treasure

I still remember that match where she was topless. My (then) father-in-law invited me to stay and watch as he had bought the PPV for that night. He never said a word the entire broadcast until that moment and let out a very subdued "God..drat" and tuned his head. It was very awkward to say the least.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

rndmnmbr posted:

Tony Khan holds up his own Infinity Gauntlet, filled with all six gems. "And I... am All Elite!" And he snaps-

Brock Lesnar tumbles out of the sky and rolls to a halt in a mass of wreckage. Roman Reigns collapses into dust, while John Cena grapples with CM Punk, saying "I don't want to go, I don't want to go..." ...yet it is inevitable, the end.

Vince McMahon looks around at the chaos in confusion - until he stumbles, and sits. A look of peace finally crosses his war-torn face, as the wind sweeps the ashes away.

(Tony Khan is insensate, dying. Kenny Omega tenderly runs his hands through Tony's hair, smiling through the tears. "It's okay, Tony. You can rest." )

Dixie Carter in the post credit scene.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I was a regular listener of both the Howard Stern and Bubba the Love Sponge shows on SirusXM from 06-08. Bubba would have Hogan on for at least an hour a day while he rambled about his divorce from Linda.

IIRC, over the years they basically made it clear and Hogan's reality show was a total farce in how his marriage was portrayed and the show was mainly to promote his daughter's album. Just curious if anyone has more info on that or what. I know Hogan is way up there as far as rank but I'm shocked no one has every brought any of this stuff up when cutting a promo or just in general.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Next you'll tell me that the Pontiac Silverdome didn't collapse into a rupture in the space/time continuum, that was formed when Hogan bodyslammed a 100,000 lb Andre the Giant in front of 43 billion screaming Hulkamaniacs, brother

When society finally recovers from the soon total collapse of modern civilization, this will be taught in school like Greek Mythology

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Sing to me, oh muse, of the wrath of the macho man, son of the miser

One gem of the Bubba show was how they parodied Macho's rap album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvU64Y6IUU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

If those are the gems, I don't wanna see the dumps

That would be his constant on air fights with Honky Tonk Man.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Apparently Vince is shopping for a book deal for his "memoirs". Can you imagine how much bullshit will be in there?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jeff Hardy got popped for DUI again

https://volusiamug.vcgov.org/Details.aspx?InmateRID=543747

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Any word on who the victim(s) could be? Seems like something they would usually sweep under the rug or at least not get caught doing it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

What a big nothing-burger. He did this just to pull in ratings, which is what I would expect from Vince imho.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is he dying or is there a poo poo ton of new allegations coming?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

From what I'm reading, it sounds like they know more payouts, or the discovery of more, are coming soon. Interesting to see if Linda sticks around.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

iirc Vince and Linda don't actively reside in the same state and haven't for a long time

it's all just rich people poo poo where you're married for the benefit of your investment portfolio or whatever the gently caress

Oh yeah I figured that. You don't just rape women for decades without someone noticing. I just figured she'd finally divorce him and get a settlement then go down with him.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Trump's next inauguration will be at Wrestlemania. After being sworn in he'll piledrive Undertaker, give Stone Cold a stunner and take the mic to pardon Vince.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ImUrHuckleJordy/status/1563398667314556928

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This is cool. Interesting to watch a match with no commentary which is something I preferred watching it live.

Oh and the monkey stuff is :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83iMDqLdaOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Vice has a new series out called Tales from the Territories. The first two episodes are about Memphis (e01) and Andy Kaufman (e02)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Who plays Vince if they made a movie about his life?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kevin Spacey as Vince Sr.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This new Vice series is loving amazing.

This entire YouTube channel is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9uDuLNyOQ

Listen to that audience at the 4:25 minute mark.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 29, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

1976 never actually left Tennessee, did it

I'm not sure how every match can be between Chad 2 Badd and Tex Ferguson but here we are

I ended up googling these names and found that this was a thing

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6662744/?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Anyone seen this?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

oh boy, oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4AjyJhzpwcpYOJpAePQ6UKv_eC5ge3cW

basically, WWE released these on their youtube channel one day with absolutely no fanfare and no mention on their actual television, and people lost their minds because it turns out again that the wrestlers doing improv for their own entertainment is funnier than everything written for them in a year by people with writing credits on mediocre sitcoms

holy poo poo, thank you! The promo in e01 about how his boot leather is better than the other guy is so on point.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNpqNpsCJQ

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/22/politics/political-tensions-wrestling/index.html

Either this is really good Kayfabe or someone is actually going to get killed. Isn't how wrestling is performed common knowledge these days? Even if you suspend disbelief you know its not real.

edit: I know angles and shoots like this are common in wrestling history, but there's so much more we know now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Just imagine if they had a crossover promotion where the Olsen Twins became ECW tag team champions.

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cubone posted:

they might be

this is like the 11th thing that's hosed up about this, but somebody in the saudi royal family is a huge money mark for wwe, and whoever it is also seems to have stopped watching in like... 1997?
when they hosted "The Greatest Royal Rumble", the saudis specifically requested that Yokozuna show up. Yokozuna hadn't been on wwe t.v. for 22 years, mostly because he'd been dead for 18 of them. so wwe just flew in some random sumo wrestler who kinda looked like him and got him in and out as quick as possible
and it's been pretty much that ever since. every year the saudis shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for wwe to wheel out and concuss a confused elderly man (usually bill goldberg) because whatever powerful probable murderer is making the call saw him on t.v. two to three decades ago

*allegedly allegedly allegedly

So, money laundering then.