Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Best Friends posted:

The cycle of China thread discussions often is:

1) China is uniquely bad for doing this thing
2) that thing is not unique and in an international context not even unusual
3) mods, please ban all this whataboutism

lol yea. fart simpson says high internal support for china's government is likely true because of the massive material improvement to their citizen's lives. braindance is essentially brushing that off with a platitude that it's actually because "states are very good at convincing people of a particular narrative" (aka propaganda).

fart simpson posted:

i dont find it hard to believe. material conditions have improved massively year on year for a very long time. most people i talk to have a general sense of "even if this thing isnt good, i trust the government wont let it get too bad" which is just an observation of mine and not quantified

BrainDance posted:

I don't doubt though that if you took China as a whole support for the Party is probably pretty high, it's no surprise that states are very good at convincing people of a particular narrative and, in China, that narratives going to be the pro-party narrative every time.

my post is pointing out that you can apply this standard to any state, it doesn't invalidate fart simpson's point about improved material conditions. i honestly don't get why i got probed for this

crepeface posted:

So if the people support the government, it can only be because it's so good at propaganda?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

some plague rats posted:

This is the best of the options you gave but preferable would be "do nothing unless it actively derails a thread and makes it worse." If someone posts white noise or one liners and everyone just moves straight past it and the conversation carries on, it's not a moderation issue at all. No one is served well by robocop moderation in the rolling counter, "citizen you are guilty of posting [7] white noise posts, the legal limit is [5] white noise posts" style

the style thing really sticks out to me. like this guy constantly makes the same point about COVID lockdowns not working because melbourne's didn't work despite people showing him specific things they messed up but he still wants to hammer it so badly that he misreads a question about the national response. i tell him:

crepeface posted:

hey dumbass, we know you still believe that lockdowns don't work because victoria hosed theirs up despite a million people telling you how they were flawed over and over, but modernmajorgeneral is talking about australia, not just melbourne. feds/NSW definitely brought it on themselves and then hosed over everyone else

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i thought my post calling him a dumbass was pretty mild. i pointed out his pet issue caused him to misread the question and got a "you're right but you're being too mean" probe. he constantly says disproven dumb stuff but because he uses the style of a "serious" post, calling him out on it in anything than an utterly polite tones gets a probe.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A big flaming stink posted:

alright i was told to come here so let me state my beef

this is an INSANELY lovely weaponization and minimization of the terms abuse and abuser. there is ABSOLUTELY NOT a power disparity in online forums remotely analogous to the one present between abuser and victim, and to see it invoked this way is not just loving rude as hell, its also deeply offensive to victims of abuse!

like maybe its my own history with abuse, but this poo poo makes me see red.

holy poo poo and the guy telling the OP to go outside is probed? wtf

edit: i always thought the "merriam webster's dictionary defines" was a joke, but i've seen it twice in d&d in the last month or so now.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 31, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
abuser has a pretty specific loving meaning

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A big flaming stink posted:

koos this is kind of a horseshit response

e:

this sums up my objection to relying on the dictionary definition of terms. the colloquial definition of the term, especially when used in conjunction with 'abuser' is so loaded that to hide being the dictionary is a farce.

and i hate to do the whole "my belonging to an aggrieved group gives my argument extra weight" schtick but i have been a victim of abuse, and it seriously loving pisses me off to see people trivialize abuse like this.

Yeah, even if you were doing a dictionary response, "I got a lot of abuse when I missed the winning shot" is pretty different from "My abuser". AFAIK, abuser is only used in a very specific way.

Using dictionary definitions is still stupid tho

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
MikeC really doesn't have a leg to stand on about making other people spend inordinately long debunking basic facts when he's in the COVID thread making claims like "actually, hospital beds being at a critical tipping point isn't a big deal, ICU is what matters" and "healthcare worker burnout is an ongoing crisis that isn't being massively exacerbated by COVID".

crepeface fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Horatius Bonar posted:

Is this post seriously a whataboutism about a poster complaining about whataboutism?

And they said irony was dead. poo poo.

:smug: