Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Apple also should've picked Mahomes off in FG range in OT. Man was Mahomes weirdly bad .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

If anything, it furthers it, since Stafford would be winning the very first season he got away from Detroit.

Look, the Lions got cursed because they traded Layne to a garbage team for nothing, right?

So clearly, by trading Stafford to a contender and him winning a championship, the curse will be broken. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kalli posted:

Eli Apple also should've picked Mahomes off in FG range in OT. Man was Mahomes weirdly bad .

Would have been a pick 6.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MJeff posted:

I dunno man, I know the AFC is gonna be a dog fight but if Cincy puts a line in front of Burrow, they're right there for a good long while.

Burrow reads to me like a Matt Ryan QB. Very good, can win it all with him, but surrounded by a stellar supporting cast who seem to be the ones making the phenomenal plays. Burrow does seem to have superior leadership skills, which shouldn't be discounted in a QB. I also have no faith in Zach Taylor. If I'm a Bengals fan the most exciting thing to me is how a squad of mostly JAGs became an incredibly solid defense. That speaks to excellent coaching on that side of the ball. If that holds they'll be a problem for years to come.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It really just felt like after that play of the last half he didn’t trust himself anymore and it affected every decision the rest of the game. Our running game was very good in the first half and it just felt like they stopped going to it in the second half because they over committed to the idea of “keeping your foot on the gas” when actually the running game is what opened the door for all of the first half. Especially on the last drive and in OT, give the RBs a chance to run away with the game when the Bengals are only rushing 3.

Bengals were just the better team at the end of the day, which isn’t the worst way to lose.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
No, Burrow is already a better player than Matt Ryan.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Going for it was the right call. Even the playcall wasn't bad. But Mahomes should have immediately chucked it out of bounds when he saw his receiver would need to break two tackles. It's on him.

I wonder if mahomes just plain forgot how many timeouts they had? They burned one in a weird way earlier in the half (called a TO, then challenged the play, so they didn't get the TO back even though they won the challenge), and he tried to call one right after that play

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

Rams have a bunch of dudes who I want to win rings, especially Stafford and Donald.

Cincy has Joe Burrow, who is cool as hell. You also get the feeling that this is their one shot, given how tough the AFC is going to be for the foreseeable future, so want them to make the most of it. As good as Burrow is, you can't bank on them being back anytime soon.

I'm definitely happy with either team winning.

This is really disrespectful to Evan "Iceman" McPherson

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

MJeff posted:

I dunno man, I know the AFC is gonna be a dog fight but if Cincy puts a line in front of Burrow, they're right there for a good long while.

I don't think they're going to crater back to Earth or something, but like you said the AFC is a dogfight and Burrow is not on that Mahomes tier where you can just expect to be playing for a Super Bowl berth every year. Burrow is awesome, but I don't think it would be particularly crazy if they didn't make another one for the foreseeable future. Plus the Bengals were able to take advantage of a down year in a normally tough division--the Ravens are going to be good again soon, the Browns will probably remain competitive, and the Steelers will find a way to improve their QB play and stay in the thick of things.

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is really disrespectful to Evan "Iceman" McPherson

This is fair. I apologize from the bottom of my heart.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

No, Burrow is already a better player than Matt Ryan.

I'm making a slight downward adjustment because the general quality of NFL QBs has increased so much. On that sliding scale Derek Carr is like a Matt Schaub and Burrow is like a Ryan.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Bengals are in the Super Bowl with what just might be the worst offensive line in the league. Getting here at all speaks to incredible talent from the rest of the team, and if they can fix their O-line issues in the offseason they're going to be a real terror.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm making a slight downward adjustment because the general quality of NFL QBs has increased so much. On that sliding scale Derek Carr is like a Matt Schaub and Burrow is like a Ryan.

This entire assessment basically seems to come down to “he’s got a good enough arm but he can’t throw the ball through concrete.” It’s a nice quality to have in a QB but not nearly the most important.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Gnoman posted:

The Bengals are in the Super Bowl with what just might be the worst offensive line in the league. Getting here at all speaks to incredible talent from the rest of the team, and if they can fix their O-line issues in the offseason they're going to be a real terror.

It never works that way. You go into an off-season thinking "We only need to fix X and the team will be complete. A no weakness juggernaut." Then the season hits and FA losses, injuries, regressions, and ball bounce luck take their toll. Not to mention, the other teams get better too. The Bengals have had unreal injury luck while the rest of the AFC got decimated. They had a complete turn around of their defense based on a few JAG free agents turning in star caliber performances. Then on top of that they had the good fortune of facing the Raiders and two QBs that played the worst games of their seasons against them. Credit to them for taking advantage but you can't count on all that happening again.

The best way to stay consistently relevant year in and year out is to have a QB so good that it covers up other weaknesses. I'm not yet convinced Burrow is that guy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This entire assessment basically seems to come down to “he’s got a good enough arm but he can’t throw the ball through concrete.” It’s a nice quality to have in a QB but not nearly the most important.

In today's NFL having someone with physical gifts that turn likely negative plays into hugely positive plays is a tremendous advantage. It's advantage that the Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Ravens, Packers, Cardinals, and Seahawks all have. You don't need it to win, but it makes winning a lot easier.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The Bengals kept running on first down for like one yard and throwing screens on third and long, and won. They played like cowards most of the game against the team you can't play cowardly against and won. It's a team of destiny as far as I can tell because nothing else about the ways they've been winning makes sense

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Go Bengals. Hell yeah Bengals

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The best way to stay consistently relevant year in and year out is to have a QB so good that it covers up other weaknesses. I'm not yet convinced Burrow is that guy.

Do you just not watch Joe burrow throw when watching Bengals game

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Burrow is so much better than Matt Ryan. That’s just hilariously wrong.

And him not being a scrambler type means he’ll be playing a lot longer than those other QBs assuming the bengals don’t give him the Andrew Luck treatment.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Burrow also scrambles really well when he has to - the late FG drive for the Bengals was Burrow repeatedly picking up 3rd and longish with his legs, and it's a testament to his mobility that they ever score behind that line

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Burrow is so much better than Matt Ryan. That’s just hilariously wrong.

And him not being a scrambler type means he’ll be playing a lot longer than those other QBs assuming the bengals don’t give him the Andrew Luck treatment.

if they don't go hard on getting an O-line around this offseason him I hope he leaves town first chance he gets

do they have any issues with cap or idk, whatever issues might exist, that could keep them from plugging the Swiss cheese line they have?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Chucktesla posted:

The Bengals kept running on first down for like one yard and throwing screens on third and long, and won. They played like cowards most of the game against the team you can't play cowardly against and won. It's a team of destiny as far as I can tell because nothing else about the ways they've been winning makes sense

I was so pissed they ran on first down every time. Insanity

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

boop the snoot posted:

if they don't go hard on getting an O-line around this offseason him I hope he leaves town first chance he gets

do they have any issues with cap or idk, whatever issues might exist, that could keep them from plugging the Swiss cheese line they have?
this biggest issue is that it's really hard to build a good line - good OL's don't hit FA and it's a hard to draft great guys from the bottom of the first round

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Allen and Mahomes have so badly broken QB scouting that the pendulum for some people has swung entirely the other way and now simply being an accurate passer who makes good, quick reads, works well within the pocket but can extend plays when needed, and doesn’t get phased by pressure is not enough if you can’t also throw it 70 yards on the run.

This despite the fact that 8 of the last 10 Super Bowl Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, and Peyton Manning.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wyoak posted:

this biggest issue is that it's really hard to build a good line - good OL's don't hit FA and it's a hard to draft great guys from the bottom of the first round

It's easy enough to find + guards and centers though, and that's what they need to upgrade mostly. Like yeah, they could all stand to be upgraded, but that would solve their critical issues.

Bengals are a significantly flawed team, but they're also in year 2 of a rebuild and not year 4, and are just playing very well and healthy at the right time. poo poo's good, and they're in a good position to get better.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

They have a lot of cap space and their best players on offense are still on rookie deals. I think the main issue is that there just aren't that many good guards and centers in the NFL let alone hitting free agency this offseason

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

It's easy enough to find + guards and centers though, and that's what they need to upgrade mostly. Like yeah, they could all stand to be upgraded, but that would solve their critical issues.

Chucktesla posted:

They have a lot of cap space and their best players on offense are still on rookie deals. I think the main issue is that there just aren't that many good guards and centers in the NFL let alone hitting free agency this offseason

These two posts back to back.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tackles are loving hard to find, Guards though? Guards are like off ball linebackers, you can get good enough in the draft easily, and if you're talking late first, you should be picking up a pretty good one.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It was the best of times, it was the... blurst of times!?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It never works that way. You go into an off-season thinking "We only need to fix X and the team will be complete. A no weakness juggernaut." Then the season hits and FA losses, injuries, regressions, and ball bounce luck take their toll. Not to mention, the other teams get better too. The Bengals have had unreal injury luck while the rest of the AFC got decimated. They had a complete turn around of their defense based on a few JAG free agents turning in star caliber performances. Then on top of that they had the good fortune of facing the Raiders and two QBs that played the worst games of their seasons against them. Credit to them for taking advantage but you can't count on all that happening again.

You're wrong. He is that guy. If Cincinnati doesn't get him killed he's going to be a legend.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

These two posts back to back.

I mean a guy like Matt feiler provides really solid-if-unspectacular o line play and is a top ten guard in the league. It's a bit thin past the top line guys. Now the Bengals are different in that their guards should not be on NFL rosters based on their play this post season so they can find upgrades but they might need to pay big money for like Brandon scherff to really take that unit to the next level

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It never works that way. You go into an off-season thinking "We only need to fix X and the team will be complete. A no weakness juggernaut." Then the season hits and FA losses, injuries, regressions, and ball bounce luck take their toll. Not to mention, the other teams get better too.
Other teams get better too, but the Bengals have all their draft capital (and yes they will be picking late because of going to the Super Bowl) but they have the third most cap space in the league next year. So for example, the Bucs this year suddenly had a bunch of injuries in the secondary which had them in a bad way, but unlike the Bucs (example), Steelers, Ravens (both good teams in their division), and other teams that usually make the Super Bowl, they have a ton of cap space.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Bengals have had unreal injury luck while the rest of the AFC got decimated.
I'll give you this one - sorta. The Raiders and Titans were as healthy as they were all season and the Bengals beat them. Same for the Chiefs. They schemed to keep Henry in check while also stopping AJB and Julio from going off. They kept Tyreek from going off against them in two different games in one month. That is not nothing.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

They had a complete turn around of their defense based on a few JAG free agents turning in star caliber performances.
This is a horrible take. Trey Hendrickson, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, and Vonn Bell are not "JAGs". They are all starters that played well for their previous teams last year that left in FA or were cut, then joined the Bengals.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Then on top of that they had the good fortune of facing the Raiders and two QBs that played the worst games of their seasons against them. Credit to them for taking advantage but you can't count on all that happening again.
So the Bengals defense gets no credit for playing in a way that got those QBs to play poorly? The scheme the Bengals ran in the second half was really effective; it was different than what they did in the first half. So yeah maybe Mahomes played a bad second half, but saying "he played the worst game of the year" and ignoring the defensive adjustments the Bengals made is stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

lmao you must not be watching the games or not looking up any statistics or something because Burrow is ridiculous. Like others have said, he is playing behind a *bottom 3* offensive line, at best. Yet he lead the league in Yards Per Attempt and Completion Percentage, which is insane. Do some research before you do handwaving about a team or QB not being able to compete in the future.

edit: like... he got sacked by the Titans 9 times in one game and his team still won. His line that game 28 of 37 for 348 yards and 1 int. Show me another QB that could do that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 31, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Winning in the playoffs is as much about health and luck as anything. Buccaneers were healthy last year, won the Superbowl, lost all their WR's, corners and then their OL in the first playoff game and lost in the divisional this year. poo poo happens.

Yeah, maybe the Bengals never get back here, but they've got a great young core and tons of room for growth, poo poo's good in B-town.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Titans were as healthy as they were all season

what?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Allen and Mahomes have so badly broken QB scouting that the pendulum for some people has swung entirely the other way and now simply being an accurate passer who makes good, quick reads, works well within the pocket but can extend plays when needed, and doesn’t get phased by pressure is not enough if you can’t also throw it 70 yards on the run.

This despite the fact that 8 of the last 10 Super Bowl Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, and Peyton Manning.

Russell Wilson & his nanobubbles sees your erasure.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chucktesla posted:

I mean a guy like Matt feiler provides really solid-if-unspectacular o line play and is a top ten guard in the league. It's a bit thin past the top line guys. Now the Bengals are different in that their guards should not be on NFL rosters based on their play this post season so they can find upgrades but they might need to pay big money for like Brandon scherff to really take that unit to the next level
I want a right tackle pls

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They had AJB, Julio, and Henry in the game. They were still down a few players that were on IR or whatever, but they were healthier than they had been since Henry got hurt. Like... they got the 1 seed because they played well without Henry, so you'd think with him back and both AJB and Julio on the field they could have done something with it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Henry was back, but he wasn't really back. Ya dig?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Henry was back, but he wasn't really back. Ya dig?
Oh well yeah, but he's still Derrick Henry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

a neat cape posted:

I want a right tackle pls

The draft has been pumping out like five good-great rookie tackles a year the past couple years, surely there will be one in the first three rounds the chargers can draft