Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

That's what I mean when I say Tucker is one of the best kickers there is but he's not a one of the top power guys. He just can't make that kind of power kick. The 66 yarder is pretty much the far limit of what he can do. Which is still crazy that he did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

That looks like it would be good from almost 75. :stare:

e: I know it would be silly and never happen, but I want to build a team that has the best players on defense at basically every position at the expense of the offense with a kicker like that. Fair catch any punt that lands in a kickable range and take the free kick right after. The general goal for the team would be to go on defense first, get a touchback, three and out, fair catch, fck, repeat. the offense doesn't need to be high scoring or even good - just be able to get a first down here and there while not turning the ball over. they'll basically never be on the field if you do it right.

This feels like the franchise plan for the Chicago Bears for the last 50 80 years. Also select periods in the histories of the Steelers and Ravens.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

That looks like it would be good from almost 75. :stare:

e: I know it would be silly and never happen, but I want to build a team that has the best players on defense at basically every position at the expense of the offense with a kicker like that. Fair catch any punt that lands in a kickable range and take the free kick right after. The general goal for the team would be to go on defense first, get a touchback, three and out, fair catch, fck, repeat. the offense doesn't need to be high scoring or even good - just be able to get a first down here and there while not turning the ball over. they'll basically never be on the field if you do it right.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Please if you actually do have access to Marty Schottenheimer's diary start its own thread

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

Please if you actually do have access to Marty Schottenheimer's diary start its own thread

Marty's diary including slamming a running back into the pile for 3.4 YPC and some goal line dives.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
hosed up that arguably both the best kickers in the NFL are both in the AFC North.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kawalimus posted:

That's what I mean when I say Tucker is one of the best kickers there is but he's not a one of the top power guys. He just can't make that kind of power kick. The 66 yarder is pretty much the far limit of what he can do. Which is still crazy that he did it.

He bangs through 60+ yarders in pregame regularly and has nailed them from 70+ at times. It’s just a different atmosphere pregame/preseason when no one is trying to block you

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Kawalimus posted:

"The all time record for distance by any kicker, that he set, is the limit of what he can do."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fartknocker posted:

Marty's diary including slamming a running back into the pile for 3.4 YPC and some goal line dives.

14-2.

:(

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Woozie66 posted:

"The all time record for distance by any kicker, that he set, is the limit of what he can do."

Yeah and it says a lot about him that he was able to hit his maximum potential distance during an actual game. He had to even modify his own kicking runup and motion to even have a chance at it.

The reason that record is so hard to set is that most teams won't send their kickers out there in those sorts of situations due to the difficulty of making such kicks in game situations where it's harder. You also risk a block+return or a missed kick return like what happened when Prater missed the 68 yarder. And due to field position issues they are only tried at the end of a half or game. But with kickers becoming better and better you will see more attempts. I think a 70 yard field goal has a good chance of happening in the next 10 years or so.

If guys were regularly sent out there to try 65-70 yarders we'd have certainly seen that 70 yarder by now.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 31, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I don't remember where it was from but when he died someone wrote a story about the time he lost again in the playoffs and he just stood at the podium in the press conference and asked the freaking media...what can I do? What did I do wrong?

Not in a taunting or defensive posture, just bereft.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's a shame the anime blows because Eyeshield 21 manga is almost always just like this.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I disagree.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1553855597577117699?t=MupJAXgvKnxrDjjY4j2W-w&s=19

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Freaquency posted:

He bangs through 60+ yarders in pregame regularly and has nailed them from 70+ at times. It’s just a different atmosphere pregame/preseason when no one is trying to block you

Don't engage.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1553864269048922112?s=21&t=YQnyF49z13mx3JAPI2W4xQ

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

It'll be a slap on the wrist and all the chuds will celebrate, same as always

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

oshuaj posted:

They'll actually be upset that it wasn't zero.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

oshuaj posted:

Are you kidding me, the chuds definitely want the black guy to be exiled forever

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1553888636453629952?s=20&t=QFO_TL0NpIP3-CWV_P9jyg

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’d like to remind people that what the judge determines as a punishment, as long as it’s not literally nothing, doesn’t matter one bit and the league can appeal the punishment to themselves and ban him for as long as they want.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1553890115348471809?t=GnwelShwNLyFeg7MzpDIow&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Is it too late to quote this and lol at it?

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

So slap on the wrist then?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Under paid

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lifespan posted:

So slap on the wrist then?

NFL Players Association

So their opinion is literally irrelevant.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Freaquency posted:

also tucker is 32 now. i mean he still hits kickoffs through the uprights regularly (when the strategy isn't to force a return and pin the opposing offense deeper than 25), but he absolutely had that kind of leg strength when he was that age (and still mostly does)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Lol remember when he wouldn't sign that kids ball because it was a 49ers ball?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

wandler20 posted:

Lol remember when he wouldn't sign that kids ball because it was a 49ers ball?

he didn't sign the ball because he wasn't autographing personal items

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NFL Players Association

So their opinion is literally irrelevant.

It sure sounds like the NFLPA expects a light punishment and Goodell to give him something more severe like you mentioned.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Getting real wrist slap vibes

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1553964987042992128

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1553955332870639617?t=KwdksUC97-Wl3KxMnFJKpw&s=19

Hell yeah Dan Campbell

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hmm totally the actions of an innocent man

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Codependent Poster posted:

Hmm totally the actions of an innocent man

Settling lawsuits doesn't necessarily mean someone's guilty, but Watson is def guilty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean good if true

https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1554048135474941953

But why the hell is RG3 up at 5 in the morning breaking this news? I guess he was with the Ravens when Brown was there so he knows the guy...oh I'd completely missed that ESPN hired Griffin.

e: Schefter retweeted so it appears to be true-ish until proven otherwise. I did expect him to play this year, but kinda thought he'd sit out camp at least and maybe up through the first week or two of the season.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 1, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Dear God, we're actually going to end up with Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShaun Watson, aren't we

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GD_American posted:

Dear God, we're actually going to end up with Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShaun Watson, aren't we

Lol, did you forget what timeline this is?

Watson was always going to get a slap on the wrist.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
6 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1554080378331217921