Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The threat of nuclear armageddon is currently *checks chart* SPICY

e: 111 is the default launch code for All The Nukes and, by some insane coincidence, also the current launch code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Quite funny that some people unquestioningly believe the dumb propaganda put out by Putin's government over the past twenty years.

"This Russian source said he's a powerful and brave warrior, it must be true!"

I mean, all the political cartoons seem to be using those "look what a rugged man of the outdoors he is" topless pictures from a decade and a half ago as a reference.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Always amusing to hear about “decadence” from the usual band of bloated, red faced, wheezing Westminster hacks who have spent years doing 4 bottle of wine lunches, groping their staff and tooting and whoring their way around Pimlico.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jollity Farm posted:

I mean, all the political cartoons seem to be using those "look what a rugged man of the outdoors he is" topless pictures from a decade and a half ago as a reference.

And he looked pretty unremarkable even back then, I assumed everyone was just pretending to take those photos seriously.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There were a couple of close calls with nukes during the Cold War and every one of them was stopped by a Soviet officer choosing to ignore orders to launch. Even if the rumours are true and a terminally-ill Putin has decided he would like to take everyone with him when he goes, I have a glimmer of faith in the armed forces not to be quite so stupid.

Assuming Russia still has functioning nuclear weapons.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

That or "oh no, some men dress fancy, Putin pls take over the world."

I can see why they'd be happy if he did. Everything scares them gay people, trans people, black people, people in colourful clothing, spicy food, loud music. They need daddy Putin to make them feel safe.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

The threat of nuclear armageddon is currently *checks chart* LEMON & HERB

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Lady Demelza posted:

There were a couple of close calls with nukes during the Cold War and every one of them was stopped by a Soviet officer choosing to ignore orders to launch. Even if the rumours are true and a terminally-ill Putin has decided he would like to take everyone with him when he goes, I have a glimmer of faith in the armed forces not to be quite so stupid.

I mean it would obviously be horrible in reality but lol at the idea that Putin presses the big red button and all the creaky old Soviet nukes fall out of the sky after thirty seconds and detonate all over Russia and nowhere else. Ultimate garden rake manoeuvre.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The name of that anti tank weapon? Albert Einstein

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

The name of that anti tank weapon? Albert Einstein

A cheer went up from waiting voters.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

"No," someone said, "you become a weapon. An absolute one."

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The only nasty weapon she’s handled is John Major’s cock

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Speaking of nasty weapons.

https://twitter.com/RT_America/status/1497309067425030151

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
In work today management were openly bragging about a plan to try to hire as many Ukrainian refugee software developers as they can, with both open glee hoping to solve their hiring backlog and a palpable insistence that they were heroically doing great charity work in making such a sacrifice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Desiderata posted:

In work today management were openly bragging about a plan to try to hire as many Ukrainian refugee software developers as they can, with both open glee hoping to solve their hiring backlog and a palpable insistence that they were heroically doing great charity work in making such a sacrifice.

Does your job have any degree of internal wage transparency?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

There was never an order to launch that was disobeyed. The three main incidents people mention when talking about the Soviet forces are the consideration, and rejection, of the use of a nuclear-tipped torpedo in the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Petrov incident, when the controller of the Soviet anti-missile radar system correctly diagnosed multiple launch warnings as false alarms, and the RYAN/Able Archer 83 tensions where the USSR fueled all of it's land-based ICBMs and had all of it's airborne weapons on the runways with the weapons active, the closest they ever came to an actual launch of a nuclear weapon.

There's always been rumours about two further incidents, one with an accidental ignition of a thankfully unfueled Dead Hand ICBM, and another of a rogue Soviet sub captain being intercepted by his own forces (the latter the inspiration for The Hunt For Red October) but there's basically zero evidence for either and they're almost certainly the military equivalent of urban legends.

And Russia *definitely* still has functioning nuclear weapons. The technology really hasn't changed much since the 70s and the Soviets and Russia were never much interested in the ultra-miniaturisation that the US and UK have pursued, they just made the missiles and subs bigger and built more of them instead. Swap out the fissile material every decade or so, make sure the tritium is nice and fresh, they'll run forever. As to launch vehicles - the Russians have been lobbing poo poo into space and getting it where it needs to go for a while now, and again they've generally not gone for as much miniaturisation so their launch vehicles are considerably more reliable than ours (although there's people in Mongolia and Finland who might want to dispute this fact)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Even the danger levels are a dick swinging contest.

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of the impending nuclear apocalypse, the Western media have translated the Russian word that should have been 'elevated' to 'high', so they are reporting that the nuclear forces are on high alert, while failing to mention that Putin has raised it from the lowest level to the second lowest level. There are still two levels to go....

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497952720841584647

My erection has gone from CONSTANT to ELEVATED. Any more talk of war and my dick will be MILITARY DANGER or even, literally, FULL

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Liz truss maintains our threat level at THROBBING whereas Corbyn refused to ever move beyond FLACCID

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Boris solemnly moving the doomsday clock from WIFF WAFF to CUSTARD

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Two Minutes To SPAFF

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Two Minutes To SPAFF

To puuutttt another (7th? who knows....) unboorrrnnn in a WOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMBBBBBB.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Desiderata posted:

I didn’t think my faith in humanity the capitalist scumbag class had anything left to be eroded but here we are

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what is so wrong with that?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

To puuutttt another (7th? who knows....) unboorrrnnn in a WOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMBBBBBB.

*TAILGUNNER plays as we toast Boris with our warm pints*

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

'Yay now we can hire desperate people this war is great' is a gross take on the situation hth

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if it’s any consolation the american minute men, who man their nukes, are apparently all depressed or on drugs, and don’t bother with any safety protocols on their old tape computers because why bother no one is going to check on them

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Liberals are the pillars of capitalism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the pillers of capitalism if they're in the pharma business.

Jel Shaker posted:

their old tape computers
They ditched the 8" IBM floppies a couple of years back.

They're quiet about the replacement though, so it's probably going to be 1.76MB Amiga HD.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

should they withhold the jobs from the refugees? its someone you don't like doing a good thing for reasons you don't like I guess.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Also the pillers of capitalism if they're in the pharma business.

They ditched the 8" IBM floppies a couple of years back.

They're quiet about the replacement though, so it's probably going to be 1.76MB Amiga HD.

maybe Alan Sugar found a use for those unsold GX4000s

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

should they withhold the jobs from the refugees? its someone you don't like doing a good thing for reasons you don't like I guess.

No, but you shouldn’t be salivating over war profiteering either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

maybe Alan Sugar found a use for those unsold GX4000s
Either that or it's going to be the unsold ET cartridges.

New Thread Up for Threads posting.