Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have, and even bought a dedicated heater for it, but it's such a faff to set up and while the results are good I don't feel like they justify said faff (especially as I'm loath to leave anything that gets hot running in the house without me also in the house, so it effectively locks me in all day).

You can also use sousvide for shorter times but then with better pieces. All those 10 hours at 70 are ok once in a while, but just doing that roast for 1-2 hours at 54 is also perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Julio Cruz posted:

English goes adjective-noun and French and other Romance languages go noun-adjective (which makes more sense to me tbh, the noun is usually more important)

English does noun-adjective with some things, like Attorney General. Something to do with someone shooting our boss in the eye with an arrow a while back I think :eng101:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I always thought attorney general was more like some militaristic fluff

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's in the same theme as witchfinder general. Or paedofinder general. Except actually more like paedoignorer general.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
poster bad in bullshit general

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I thought it's a French thing and means that the person holding the rank is in charge of everything, things in general, so an attorney is in charge of his particular practice or whatever but the attorney general is in charge of everything in the world of attorney-ing, and the military rank comes from the same root, but that's publore so I've no idea if it's true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

I always thought attorney general was more like some militaristic fluff

Not sure if this is because it's got the word general in it or because of the army's habit of ordering everything backwards by category, i.e "rifle, magazine, lee-enfield"

Attorney, General, Egg, Wet.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Lawyer, commander. Barista, commando

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Biscuits brown.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Re: fuel - I tried a couple of tanks of E10 in the smart and it ran noticeably badly and didn't get as good mileage, so it's on premium now.

If my motorcycle (old ZZR 600) hadn't been nicked, I'd have had to run it on premium because it wasn't compatible with E10 according to the checking website.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never tried the premium but my car eats loving E10 like it's me with a packet of mini eggs.

Is the cheap stuff false economy? I always assumed the premium was just for fancy weirdos with sports cars.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

Is the cheap stuff false economy? I always assumed the premium was just for fancy weirdos with sports cars.

I tested it many times when doing the same journey and it was definitely worth getting premium for my 16-year-old hatchback. Obviously that would depend on how much more expensive premium fuel was, and I have sadly forgotten what the margin was, but in the days that I remembered it was always worth it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, I might try it then. mine's a little newer than that but still 10 years old.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

It's in the same theme as witchfinder general. Or paedofinder general. Except actually more like paedoignorer general.

Or just Paedo General. Or Paedo Colonel more accurately. Well, until that title was removed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Freedland/status/1497497838640455681?t=eGHgmWrdLWLjb5WzYIRwnw&s=19
greatest hits of liberalism collection volume 5,752:
- oh no some history seems to have happened
- far left & far right are, of course, both the same
- please, my international rules based order, she is very sick
- what is to be done

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
morning all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

greatest hits of liberalism collection volume 5,752:
It's interesting that what we, the west, did to replace the international democratic rules based order with the 'law of the jungle' is entirely around being too tolerant of Russia, and never e.g. fuckbarreling into Iraq against international law, thereby providing a perfect "yeah but u" excuse for everyone else everywhere who wishes to do that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was a guy on the news I caught briefly going on about how russia is running terrible propaganda where they say any civilian casualties were either ukraine's fault or not real.

Which, of course, is unimaginable, that an invading country would do such a thing as that.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I get better mpg with premium but not quite enough to make it cheaper overall- I largely buy premium because I tell myself the car runs better with it and it sure does sound/feel like the engine is happier on vpower nitro max super dead dinoboost 2000

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DesperateDan posted:

I get better mpg with premium but not quite enough to make it cheaper overall- I largely buy premium because I tell myself the car runs better with it and it sure does sound/feel like the engine is happier on vpower nitro max super dead dinoboost 2000

That sounds like the latest Power Rangers iteration

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting that what we, the west, did to replace the international democratic rules based order with the 'law of the jungle' is entirely around being too tolerant of Russia, and never e.g. fuckbarreling into Iraq against international law, thereby providing a perfect "yeah but u" excuse for everyone else everywhere who wishes to do that.
Also I've seen a lot of people demanding the removal and dissolution of a vile, expansionist regime which is taking bits of land from neighbouring countries by shelling civilians out of their homes. No, not Israel, that's... no that's different, you see the Russians are a violent people and when they take parts of the Ukraine and Crimea, that's... Look, it's just different, OK? gently caress off, I'm trying to have a civil discussion here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Thread today:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My car likes to just really get stuck in on the old carbon emissions lark (or in other words it is a Volkswagen diesel), after two years of failing emissions tests it's been prescribed premium diesel because apparently it keeps the fuel system cleaner? No problems so far anyway because the MOT isn't til October, there will probably still be problems then

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

I've never tried the premium but my car eats loving E10 like it's me with a packet of mini eggs.

It really depends on your vehicle. Generally the more tuned/strung out an engine is the more it benefits, but how much is user perception as opposed to an actual real world difference is arguable. If there is an actual benefit, then you’d have to sit and do some maths to see if it’s enough to make up for the extra cost of premium.

For my own experience, my old 2007 MINI Cooper S was like a totally different car when using Shell V-Power. More power, better economy, ran better and absolutely worth the extra cost. My 2015 BMW 118i that came after it? Zero difference compared to normal fuel. My current car which is a 2017 320i seems to enjoy a slight improvement but it’s nowhere near enough to justify the cost.

With that being said I’ve not noticed any noticeable difference having switched to E10, so it seems to swing both ways.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/davideastUK/status/1498148206823174145?t=1xkGBUqDkksew7dEd2xxNQ&s=19

Bonus weird journo hypocrisy: Jeremy Corbyn wouldn't nuke other countries so he would be a bad leader. But this guy? He totally would press the button and kill civilians, he's a loving monster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only correct answer to BBC QT "would you press the button" type questions is "I already did" and then refuse to elaborate.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

The only correct answer to BBC QT "would you press the button" type questions is "I already did" and then refuse to elaborate.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Don't you feel safe knowing that this person is in charge of our foreign policy during this crisis?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 28, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Please tell me that was taken in Portsmouth or somewhere equally pedestrian.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm Liz Truss and welcome to Jackass.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

She's got the same press photographer as Starmer, i.e. someone who hates them and wants to make them look ridiculous.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She always has that Philomena Cunk expression.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fuctifino posted:

She always has that Philomena Cunk expression.

God, you've nailed it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm by no means the first to notice the Cunk comparison.

Talking about nailing it, yet another CWS classic:

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1498252174878556160

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
[hot shots theme intensifies]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYw5NPSYFDY

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

fuctifino posted:

Don't you feel safe knowing that this person is in charge of our foreign policy during this crisis?

"The planes go up into the sky off the end of this big ramp thing. It's pretty steep, but it's OK cos they can fly"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Home-grown hero Oz Katerji is really having a moment

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1498234804722147332

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Better MPG on higher-grade fuel is more about driving style than anything else. you do get less bang for your buck but really not enough to make a huge, or even noticeable, difference unless you're doing exclusively motorway miles in a particularly un-aerodynamic vehicle. What makes the difference is that you're used to accelerating at a certain rate, but that rate requires a wider throttle opening with lower-grade fuel, and in fact because the muscle memory of "this much throttle = this much g" is so strong you tend to overcompensate and open the throttle even further. Particularly with smaller, higher-revving engines this can be absolutely catastrophic for fuel economy, especially if you end up dipping into the open-circuit map.

Almost all modern engines operate in two modes - closed-circuit, where the engine monitors (some or all of) throttle opening, air pressure and temperature, lambda (proportion of oxygen in the exhaust gases) and other factors to keep the engine as close as possible to perfection (with perfection being different from engine to engine of course, but particularly engines designed for best fuel economy this will be running the engine as lean as possible - that is with the absolute minimum amount of fuel in the fuel-air mix - without risking preignition and detonation which can obliterate the engine). However if you open the throttle quick enough and far enough almost all engines go into open-circuit mode where they act basically like an old carburetted engine and just set the amount of fuel by the amount of airflow, which is much, much richer than closed-circuit mode, to give maximum power and responsiveness when you need it. If you've got a momentary MPG counter on your vehicle (and somewhere safe enough to test it) give it a go, it's surprising just how quickly you can drop to single-digit MPG even in a little econobox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Putin naming Truss specifically as to blame for him ratcheting up the nuclear rhetoric
https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1497936839164010499?t=tK469DaDV5n-cO5FUfYcvg&s=19