Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^jfc what is wrong with you

Main problem I have with it has been that since the moment Sean Bean turns up it just becomes so completely obvious that not a single other character in it has a shred of charisma between them.

I haven't seen Snowpiercer, but I remember this distinctly with Once Upon a Time, which stars a whole bunch of standard TV actors, and Robert Carlisle. You can just get absorbed in the show during most scenes and be satisfied with a fairly twee soap opera about Snow White and Prince Charming, but any scene Robert Carlisle is in, suddenly everyone else seems like they're nine-year-olds doing the nativity at school. He just acts everyone off the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This all reminds me of one of my favourite youtube channels, about a bridge in Durham North Carolina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kpgaFT2bw

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

mediaphage posted:

it’s easy to have this perspective from the outside but i guarantee a nontrivial portion of people who are in no way techies buy into this poo poo because to them it seems like how people used to buy bonds and stocks - equivalently non physical in the eyes of most people - that would appreciate and make money without having to work at investing it.

so like sure okay does anyone who gets involved in speculative investments deserve to get burned? that’s another story. but i don’t think it’s “right” to laud a total scammer on the news either

Yeah, my dad thought he was basically opening a new kind of investment account, I managed to stop him before he'd put in more than £100, but he definitely didn't think it was a scam or that he was scamming others.

It took a lot of work to convince him that NFTs are just a unique receipt--he's a musician so his frame of reference is that there's multiple forms of partial ownership that come with royalties (songwriting credit, performance credit, etc.) and he'd been under the impression NFTs were something comparable to that, a way of having partial copyright royalties or something. The number of times I said "yeah, they'd be actually useful if they worked like that, but..." Thankfully I headed that off before he'd bought anything.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

Spoiler for part 5
Oh that woman is absolutely some crusader type.
But the schools defense of "brought kids to a tennis lesson. Discovered the instructor was male, so brought all the female students home" as being "we didn't think it was appropriate for a male tennis coach to teach our female students" and this being uncritically accepted by the hosts was a bit :wth:

Also the teacher who made comments about "waves must submit to their husbands" and how their wasn't a bigger investigation of him. Trying to imply it got ignored because of the Trojan Horse investigation is a bit of a weak answer.

I did finally get to see someone make a very passing reference to the PoEZ.

Edit: So odd.
I downloaded all the episodes of Trojan Horse on Monday.
I listened to episode 5 on Wednesday and deleted it. I went back to register to parts of it, and now it has all these ads for like Zop Recruiter that it hadn't had a few days ago.

And another American Podcast I listen to (My Favourite Murder) has started running Irish ads at the start. So strange.

Podcast feeds nowadays can detect the IP you are downloading from and append or even intercut ads into the download, allowing listeners to be served ads local to their area. I guess the first time you downloaded the ad server wasn't working, or wasn't serving ads to your IP, and now it is. Same with the one serving you irish ads, if it's currently set like "european IP > european ads"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I always had a dream of one day opening like a fancy chip shop restaurant with like a huge number of kinds of chips, skin-on, skin-off, chip shop cut, steak cut, indian cut, fries, matchstick, wedges, etc.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If there's one word I wish I could ban from the media it would be "destroyed". I have come to utterly detest that word. Like, the gold standard for "destroyed" would be "senator, you're no Jack Kennedy", and nothing I've seen the word "Destroyed" attached to in the last 10 years even rises close to that level.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

If Russia does move on Ukraine, which I'm not at all convinced they're actually going to do, I would be very surprised if it involved an actual, full scale military invasion. Much more likely we'd see similar stuff to what we did in Crimea. Moscow will support separatist paramilitaries then send a few troops in to 'maintain the peace' while they stage a few dodgy referendums to legitimise the annexation of certain areas along the border. I very much doubt Kiev itself is under any real threat.

Comedy option is Charles and William both somehow die leaving Harry the next in line to the throne. Imagine the scenes.

Sadly I think all of William's kids have to die too. PLEASE NOTE MI5 I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE SHOULD

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
lol at "lets hope this hasn't aged badly this morning"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

e: Speaking of boomers, if there is a resident thread linguist can they please explain their love of ellipsis for the love of god it's so annoying and sometimes even vaguely threatening.

Older people use them to mean something completely different from younger people, they usually intend it to convey two things: a seperator, providing a beat that represents a change in context or that one thought builds on another. Think of situations where you might decide to send two messages to someone over something like WhatsApp rather than put everything you want to say in one message.

e.g.
What's the plan for today
I was thinking we'd go to the park
if that's ok with you?

vs.
What's the plan for today...I was thinking we'd go to the park...if that's alright with you...?

That also kind of shows the other part of ellipsis for older people, that they're generally intended to convey a casual tone. That's probably the most serious tonal whiplash for young people, but the idea is that you don't generally use ellipsis like this in formal writing, so its intended to come across as informal. You'd also use it in contexts where you don't have a huge amount of space to write, especially postcards (remember them?), so there's an undercurrent of whimsy and happiness because someone's writing to you the way they'd write you while on holiday. That's also why the TV show Wish You Were Here...? had that usage of ellipsis, it's intended to be playful.

Of course this doesn't apply in actually formal contexts. If someone's typing out full sentences and developed thoughts, ellipsis have their standard meaning of omitting irrelevant info or implying a conclusion.

If any of this interests you I'd highly recommend the book Because Internet by Gretchen McCullough, which is a good examination of the various writing styles of people who came to the internet at different times.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

This is genuinely interesting, thanks. Maybe I'll be a bit more patient with them. Still haven't heard a good explanation for their love of minions and cry laugh emojis though.

Also covered (to some extent) in the book I recommended! There's a chapter on emojis, how they're different from emoticons, and how and why people use them and the contexts in which they're appropriate.

I think the most revelatory part of the book for me was the systematic categorisation of people based on how, why and when they got on the internet, and how that tends to change how people write and use language online. It was one of those things where you'd be subconsciously aware of the difference but might not have seen it put into words before. There's clear differences between cohorts who started using the internet socially on Usenet and Forums, vs those who started on MSN Messenger and the like, vs those who started on Facebook, and they all have their own internal subcultural language and norms.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Biggus Dickus posted:

IIRC this one was investigated and found to be an urban myth. What actually happened was two local yoots scrawled some graffiti on a wall. The rest is typical over-inventiveness published as fact.

For some reason I think it was The Register that did the actual investigating.

Ed: it was actually Vice.

The Vice article seems to be distorting things a bit, quoting the Guardian as saying the pediatrician was "hounded from her home" when that exact quote wasn't actually used in the article. It says that the local police speculated that the graffiti might have been the work of some local teenagers, but the inspector actually quoted in the Guardian article says nothing of the sort. So even if the police did speculate as such elsewhere, it doesn't appear to be the case that we can assume that's what actually happened.

Further, it links that event with the events in Portsmouth, which it describes as follows:

quote:

It turned out that around the same time, on a Portsmouth estate called Paulsgrove, residents had set fire to a car, whose 55-year-old owner was not a pediatrician. He was, however, on News of the World’s sex offender list.
But if you look at the linked article used to back this up:

quote:

At one point a woman, thought to have been Burnett's sister, came on the scene. Her car was turned over and torched.

That's not the same thing, VICE!

The article then finished off by referencing the events that led to the News of the World's closure:

quote:

Payne’s killer was sentenced to serve a minimum 40-year prison term, and News of the World would be forced to close in 2011 as a result of another kind of mob: public outcry over the paper hacking into the phones of the victims of the 2005 London bombings, as well as relatives of British soldiers killed in action and a 13-year-old who was murdered.

The allegations came by way of the more upmarket Guardian, which claimed News of the World had deleted crucial last voicemails from the slain teenager. But the Guardian ended up having it wrong. As authorities came to realize, the messages had probably been auto-deleted by the service provider.

Which is a skillful bit of misdirection--even if it is true the messages were auto-deleted, it doesn't change the fact that the NotW was hacking into people's voicemails! But apparently people being upset at such a flagrant violation of people's privacy makes them a "mob"?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

https://twitter.com/ianvisits/status/1495359773889470468

Well that's just kinda depressing.

These American Candy shops have to be a front, right? There's hundreds of them in Glasgow, in pretty prime locations, they're never busy so I've no idea how they afford to stay open.

They also clearly recycle their stock, when one place closes, another opens, and the same products are in the window, to the point where many of them have been sun-bleached, even on the week the new shop opens.

The bit that confuses me is, usually a money laundering front has an actual legitimate business attached so that you can hide your criminal transactions among the legitimate ones. But these places don't get legitimate transactions in any reasonable volume, so far as I can tell.

I once asked one if they could maybe help me import some white cheddar popcorn from America, offering to pay for like an entire case, and was looked at as if I'd grown an extra head or something.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

crispix posted:

rightly so imo

reading those five words made me go like this :stare:

White cheddar popcorn is the best snack food mankind has ever created, and I'm eternally bemused that as a country we consider cheese on corn to be an acceptable combo, as long as the corn has been mashed up into a dough, put under heat and pressure, oxygenated and then extruded through a tube to make Wotsits or any other cheese flavoured baked corn snack, but just cooking the corn and putting the cheese flavour on directly? Disgusting to many people, apparently.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bustin keaton posted:

Can’t tell if it’s just the hangover or if this tweet doesn’t make sense.

[here is] Sonia Sodha[,] agreeing with the assessment [that] putting a mic in front of a couple who were the main protagonists in [the] Trojan [Horse] Hoax and asking them questions is akin to interrogation and torture, and not investigative journalism. Which sums up British Journalism perfectly.

Or to rewrite it: Putting a mic in front of two people who were the main protagonists in the Trojan Horse Hoax, and asking them questions about it, was investigative journalism. It was not, as they describe, "akin to interrogation and torture". That Sonia Sodha agrees with that assessment sums up British Journalism perfectly.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

Ah right. Tan companies haven't considered this easy market.

If you want white cheader popcorn, you don't need to import it from the Yanks.

There is an Irish brand (Manhatten Popcorn.) That makes bags of Cheader Popcorn for like €0.70 a bag. Just search for it on Google. Don't pay £30 a bag that some are offering.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VWiri4ciawBkAJKx9

Might just grab my suitcases and fly to dublin, thanks!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do think there's a problem in online culture with the outrage machine motivating people to seek anger over insight and algorithms like Twitter's working to reinforce that. People seem motivated to take others' posts in the worst possible faith to attack each other, and I think you can legitimately get cancelled over some of the dumbest, mildest poo poo.

But you can only get "cancelled" by members of your own peer group. People on the right can't actually get cancelled by people on the left because people on the right don't actually care what left-wingers care think or say about them. Same with mainstream journalists, as long as you can still get a column in the guardian or the telegraph no amount of twitter outrage actually "cancels" you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Darth Walrus posted:

Which kind of sanctions, though? Because I'd be extremely surprised if they're (a) achievable by the UK given our geo-economic situation, and (b) meaningfully designed to disrupt the river of Russian money running through London.

As for Ukraine itself, Russia seems to be annexing the separatist 'republic' that they backed in the Ukrainian civil war. So, they're basically making a de facto situation de jure. It's not clear whether and how this will result in actual violence on any significant scale, and might actually calm down the constant tit-for-tat strikes in the Donbass border conflict (because the Ukrainians are significantly less likely to try loving with the military of a nuclear power than with a bunch of rag-tag separatists).

The real question is whether Putin tries the same tactics again on the next few provinces further in, fanning a separatist insurgency that will hopefully pave the way for another wave of annexation (or, at least, will distract and destabilise the Ukrainian rump state while Russia settles into its new territory). That could spread the chaos across the region in complex and unpredictable ways, just as the invasion of Iraq did.

The real question isn't whether Putin tries the same tactics on the next few provinces, it's whether he tries them on the provinces at issue. The "republics" he's recognised only actually control about a third each of Luhansk and Donetsk, but claim the entire thing. He's now got to decide if he's willing to go through the Ukrainian army to get the rest of those two provinces. If he does that's surely going to be an actual shooting war regardless.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

It's wild to me that Russia and Belarus haven't united already, it seems like something both sides keep flirting with each other about but they never seal the deal.

As I understand it the current status quo somewhat benefits both sides. Russia has a buffer state that can hold itself out as a "neutral" party when convenient, but at the same time adds to Russia's prestige (if you take the view that a great power has to have a sphere of influence, you need nominally indpendent countries doing your bidding as a prerequisite to be one) and is one of the few friends Russia actually has in the world.

On the other hand, Belarus, for all its many, many, many faults actually managed to keep most of its industries under state control and pretty much singularly avoided the neoliberal shock therapy that was visited upon the rest of the former Eastern Bloc. In the event of actual unity, those industries would likely be privatised and end up in the hands of the russian oligarchs, rather than in the pockets of influential Belarussians.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Chubby Henparty posted:

There's a good robocop on youtube... Or maybe only on vimeo

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUnMF7dV86k

takes me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Borrovan posted:

jfc mate the response to someone saying they haven't seen Robocop is not to immediately post the entire plot including all the best scenes but with all the joy, context & fun satire stripped out of them

It's this:

(& do not watch the YouTube video)

Eh, it's cringey but it's what I thought Chubby was referencing given the mention of vimeo, that video was everywhere about 13 years ago.