Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just going to lol at this from the last thread

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be fair there wasn't any social media when it was written.

Mate, Usenet was social media. It would not surprise me if it came into existence before you did.

'Like theres a difference, and I would expect different laws to exist governing their usage, between the first few automobiles trundling round at 3 mph and our current road network even though you would be right to say we had cars all throughout this time period.' - what's the difference, exactly, between Usenet and Twitter? Lay it out for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe you should read this thread first

Lol if you think posting on usenet was hard? if 18 year old college students and your nan with an AOL cd could do it, anyone could. That's kind of where the whole 'eternal September' meme came from in the first place.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Regarding your edit, I refer you to my previous suggestion.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Were you around and an adult for when Usenet was a thing, as in like mid-late 90s?

If not, I suggest you clam down and listen to your elders who were, in fact, around for this poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The big difference is that less than 9% of British homes had access to the internet before 1998, compared to well over 90% after 2018, and it was even more demographically biased.

Can't just look at homes, though - there's a reason I mentioned universities. Just saying, usenet was widespread enough in society in the 90s that it's perfectly reasonable to talk about it as 'social media', not something only the sweatiest of comp sci students knew about.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

I visited Cambridge a while ago and they had this exact set-up. So badly signposted and completely unexpected that I missed it and just drove through the buses only bit (luckily it wasn't enforced in any way).

Until you get the fine in the post. Cambridge is a bit notorious for that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

Loads of energy companies went bust last year, was this because they were capped on how much they were allowed to charge and had to pay way more wholesale? I wasn't paying much attention

Yes. Or had locked in fixed price contracts not realising how prices were going to shoot up so they were losing money on them. Fixed price contracts go both ways, if fuel gets cheaper you're paying over the odds, if it shoots up and you're already in a contract then the energy companies lose money.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I liked the US office but not the UK one and I'm not sure Ricky Gervais is capable of playing anyone other than his actual self.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's amazing how little they seem to get the concept of monarchy, once he's got the big hat on Charles can give her the title Empress Of The Moon and force everyone to give her any spare buttons they have on their person when they meet her because that's what happens when you have monarchs.

The Glorious Revolution would like a word with you, mate.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

but then America also had a reason deeper than Special Relationship/Cold War stuff to ensure that former Spanish colonies didn't get the idea they were entitled to Spanish-claimed territory.

America's initial reaction to the Argentine invasion was to tell Britain to suck it up - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Events_leading_to_the_Falklands_War#Shuttle_diplomacy_and_US_involvement . Then we sort of pointed out that yes, this is the Cold War, we are half the letters in the GIUK gap, and you should probably actually pony up to your side of the 'special relationship' for once.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, that's it!
Bought my first computer from there - 40MB - wow HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE) hard drive, MSDos 3.3. B&W monitor :D
(For comparison, the work computer which each department was allowed to book 1 hour a week on and had Symphony Suite for spreadsheets used two 5.25" floppy drives - no hard drive.)

I am younger than you and my first computer was a ZX Spectrum (tape drive storage), and my second an Atari ST (single sided floppy disc, 720k) :shobon:

I didn't have a computer with a hard disc til 1996 and that was a 486 with a 1 gig drive, dual booting Windows 95 and Linux ;p

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

It can be fun to make fun of the people losing money. But yeah, its not all middle class tech bros.
https://twitter.com/mekkaokereke/status/1476357249840791553

I should very much like to see a cite or evidence of some sort for this '23% of all black US citizens own crypto' thing. Bearing in mind that includes, y'know, 5 year olds and also 90 year olds I find it a little hard to believe.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It was reported in USA Today sometime last year.

I'd imagine that was poll respondents rather than 5 year olds, but it's worth noting the disparity and why that might be.

The actual data appears to be here -

https://theharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Harris-Poll_Speculative-Investing_Data-Tables_March-2021.pdf

On average, people (not just black people, people in general) have 44% or so of their total investments in crypto? 36% in NFTs? 35% in 'meme' stocks? Really?

This sounds like the sort of poll where the only people who actually reply to it are the crypto nutbars.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Well, 'gone'. They can wait a couple of weeks for it all to die down and then restore it.

Meanwhile, Corbs is at a year+ still...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Scotland should immediately declare independence, we'll never get a better deal than with Irish Joe.

*cough* Scotland and (Northern) Ireland do um have a bit of a History, you know. It's not all the same place.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Lmao, it's actually extremely problematic that we still have captured swastika flags in our museums, in order to be truly woke we must return these to the descendents of their original owners.

Minnesota got it right - https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/minnesota-has-a-confederate-symbol-and-it-is-going-to-keep-it/

'You want it, come and take it back, we shot you last time we'll do it again'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't be so sure (and I can guarantee NATO commanders aren't so sure) about that. NATO hasn't fought a war without undisputed air supremacy... ever, really

To be a little bit pedantic, the Korean War, the brave Soviet aviators of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_Fighter_Aviation_Corps and their comrades in the Chinese People's Army's Air Force would like a word, here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I can't imagine a war in Ukraine would be very popular in Russia tbh, people still remember them being united in the Soviet Union and there's so many cross border family connections etc. I guess that didn't stop them annexing crimea though

The eastern bit of Ukraine is full of Russian speakers who largely consider themselves Russian - this was a Whole Thing politically in Ukraine before the Crimea thing, basically you had the 'Ukrainians party' and the 'Russians party' in elections. Annexing eastern Ukraine is easy to paint domestically as liberating Russians from Ukrainian domination. Some of the locals might well even agree.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I just don't get it, if my grandparents had moved to France from Britain and I was born in France and raised in France and spoke French, I'd be French, perhaps with British heritage, but definitely French. This doesn't seem very controversial to me, but would apparently be incomprehensible to lots of people, who seem to think that there's some permanent immutable distinction between 'nationality' tied to blood. Bizarre take.

Well, in the specific case we're talking about here, it's like you were raised in France and spoke English and mostly spoke to other people raised to speak English and spent your time down the local greasy spoon pounding soss and mash and bitching about the locals.

So I guess basically eastern Ukraine is Benidorm?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Well yeah, but you're only doing that because you have the weird ingrained idea that they're somehow 'different'! I get that new arrivals from Russia would be like that but it's incredible that even after generations they basically didn't assimilate at all. I feel like the great grandchildren of even the most gammony family moving to the Costa del Sol would be turn out pretty solidly Spanish, but who knows

It isn't 'great grandchildren' though, is it? Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union until about 30 years ago, well within my living memory for instance. There are plenty of people living there now who moved there from Russia proper when it was all the same country, and plenty of people who were already living there when it was all part of the same country but happened to speak a slightly different Slavic language/have different customs within that same, unified country.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

Yes and reducing Russia to a poo poo tier power that can't strongarm them into being its henchmen/buffer zone would be loving amazing for many of its neighbours

I mean, the neolib 'economists' the US sent over there in the early 90s sure had a go. But ultimately, Russia had nukes in 1991 too, there's a limit to how far anyone could have done to 'reduce' them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soo.

Omicron does not look likely to kill us all.

East London Goon Meat in Stratford at the gaming pub my abortive D&D game had session 0 at? (Sessions 1+ derailed by global pandemic). Maybe I dunno *draws times out of hat* Saturday March 5th 6pm?

https://www.escapebars.uk/stratford

Here iirc. I am double jabbed plus boosted, probably doesn't need saying in here but I would hope nobody with objections to vaccination is likely to show up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aipsh posted:

Did this place change name? I think I've been there a few times but it had a name like the knight's throbbing halberd or something

It was the Escape Bar 2 years ago, last time I met goons there :shrug: before that, I can't say.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Isomermaid posted:

Just toast the cut side the outer side goes weird and dry otherwise.

I would come to a UKMT meet, i would like to buy some of you a drink but I dunno if I'm too much of a lurker.

You would be welcome. Like I say, I met up with some folks from here just before Covid hit with the aim of starting a D&D game, Twisto for one, and Camrath. You can check with them and make sure I'm not scary ;)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

There is that one specific cartoon of the beardy guy in a big coat holding a cartoon bomb that basically looks like me yeah. Replace bomb with a pasty or something.

Now I want to make pasties for dinner.

Top crimped.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

Every time I think about going to Empire (friend of mine is trying to get a group going in the League) I go to the faction Facebook page, see people bickering about whether kit is ‘too 1600s’ or whatever and promptly reevaluate things ;p

I assume this is a LARP thing.

As a 1600s-knower, tell me more.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Haha I came to post this. I was reading the interview without looking at the name attached. The initial questions on trans issues seemed tame enough and made sense as Atwood's opinions on the issue are hard to pin down but when she kept going at it I scrolled up to check and actually laughed out loud when I saw it was Freeman.

Ugh. Of course it was. I remember when she used to write fairly harmless columns about fashion in the Graun like a decade ago but she really has gone full brainworms hasnt she?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I see. Well google said they were the same but I guess from what you say actually tater tots are just hash browns

Tater tots are, like, half an inch long. You can use a croquette, I have making tater tot casserole over here, but no they are not the same. Just like 'Canadian bacon' is not the same as proper British bacon despite what you would think stop saying that Americans.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mediaphage posted:

‘american cheese’ isn’t even the most popular cheese in america, lol

the only thing it’s good for is a grilled cheese and it’s disgusting everywhere else

I'm afraid to tell you your regular supermarket cheddar isn't much cop, either. Neither is our 'mild' but it's easier to find proper, crumbly (you know, cheddared!) mature cheddar here.
Though I gather things have improved somewhat.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

even then, I think the West would back down as they all know that they would most likely lose against Russia.

...it's not 1965 any more, dude.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

:rolleye:

If it ever came to that this tiny island is getting blanketed with nukes end to end and we'll get at best 4 minutes' warning of it - they're not going to drop just one. We're all dead. The only places not getting a direct hit are like the Yorkshire Moors and the Highlands and then enjoy starving to death before you die of radiation poisoning. The USSR Russia has more sense than to let us be an aircraft carrier for the yanks again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

I need a new phone because my motger binned mine, Glad.Have you considered a tablet that is alsoa phone?

I mean that sounds very Dom Joly

Edit: re laptop does it have an ssd and maybe a ram upgrade?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 26, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's an SSHD (500GB) 4GB ram.

That's not a lot of RAM these days, it's probably worth at least doubling it. 64 bit OS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^^^ I wonder how politely the armed men are 'asking' the civilians.

I mean, quite, but on the other hand if someone no longer has food (because the previous soldiers took it) they no longer have food, they can't magic it up, if Russia is seriously bad enough at war they can't actually supply their troops then that's going to hamper them.