Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Was trying to find out exactly what the Starmer / Saville thing was since I missed it and:

quote:

Sir Keir Starmer has accused Boris Johnson of peddling a “ridiculous slur by right-wing trolls”, after the prime minister repeated false allegations about the Labour leader’s involvement in the prosecution of Jimmy Savile.

Johnson used parliamentary privilege yesterday to accuse Starmer of failing to prosecute Savile when he was director of public prosecutions (DPP), even though the conspiracy theory, which has spread online in recent years, has been found to be baseless.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/keir-starmer-hits-back-at-boris-johnson-over-jimmy-savile-slur-2b38c5l05

Seems like quite strong language from The Times, they’ve started rolling out the same language they used to sort-of-not-quite call Trump a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

https://twitter.com/MinnieStephC4/status/1488473974245892097?t=QLr5pgvjgAHnQtA1lpt_Cw&s=19

Absolutely disgusting and completely unsurprising. Content note for racism, misogyny, homophobia, domestic violence in the report. How the gently caress do you reform that?
lmao "uncovered"

guys I've done an investigation and I've uncovered that despite what many leading websites will tell you, there is actually a distinct lack of hot singles in your area who want to meet tonight :monocle:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Also the word “joked” is being stretched to breaking point there. If you joke about rape but then also do rape is that not just called “planning”

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

hi I'm graham linehan and here's all the ways I've owned myself recently. anyway,

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

Eddie seems to boil a lot of piss, which is good
Not really? From what I understand it’s far more efficient to use a humidifier

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bug Squash posted:

I visited Cambridge a while ago and they had this exact set-up. So badly signposted and completely unexpected that I missed it and just drove through the buses only bit (luckily it wasn't enforced in any way).

I'm sure there's a right way for this kind of setup to be installed, but every time I hear about one it's always installed in a really stupid way.
Down near my parents’ house there’s a main road of the sort that encourages people to race down it faster than they should. To solve this, they installed a series of those narrow chicanes that only let one lane of traffic through at a time.

What they did not do was install any signs indicating who has right of way. So now the chicanes actually incentivise driving faster because 1) the road’s an even more exciting racetrack, and 2) right of way goes to whoever gets to the chicane first :waycool:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

if anything they should be going faster to minimise their time in the narrow bit thus reducing the chance of collision.
just need to go fast enough to clip right through it, get the watford any% WR

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Endjinneer posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60206564
Stop asking to be able to afford things you shits. It's pushing prices up.
Hopefully this works just as well as when they asked people to not panic-buy toilet roll

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/NetopiaEU/status/1489735177907712008

Threatening messages I can't see any issue with, but 'knowingly false'....?

Wouldn't that criminalise nearly every MP who has a twitter account?

quote:

The government said the bill would not prohibit "misinformation" as long as those spreading it were unaware that what they were saying was false.

It gave the example of a social media post encouraging people to inject themselves with antiseptic as a fake coronavirus cure.
thank gently caress I still know almost nothing about almost everything. gonna have a grand old time telling people how to fix their electrics or one weird trick to make your car go faster.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea because 96% of them are looking to stick a knife in his back.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jiggerypokery posted:

This whole lapse in judgement = bad person thing is loving dumb and does worse than nothing for the cause of building a movement based on actually caring about the impact you have on the world.
”Lapse in judgement” is more like Whoopi Goldberg’s situation IMO. If you’ve carefully scripted your hateful rhetoric and you’ve got a long track record of similar sentiments, then you’re just being continually hateful.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WhatEvil posted:

Since we're talking old computers I'll tell the story of how my Dad and his mate were probably the first people ever (and maybe some of the only people ever?) to be able to take a screenshot from a BBC micro.
One of our first computers was this beast:

One of the games we used to enjoy playing on it was Police Quest, part of which involves driving around a city following traffic rules. Because the screen was obviously monochrome we couldn’t tell red lights from green which meant we had to turn on the sirens and blast through every intersection to avoid an instant loss.

I remember my dad working for ages on some electronics project, until one day we could suddenly connect the computer to the TV and play Police Quest in glorious colour; I didn’t realise it at the time but he’d basically cobbled together a graphics output converter card which is retrospect is kinda cool

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

Yeah, but next time it might not be politicians. It might be refugees, or asylum seekers, or human rights lawyers, etc. This poo poo can’t be controlled once it’s unleashed and the targets are broadly going to be people that we actually care about.
next time? pretty sure I remember hearing about immigrants getting "GO HOME" notes and literal poo poo pushed through their letterboxes the instant the Brexit vote came through. This has been happening for a long time already

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jel Shaker posted:

once keir is pushed out by the new leader streeting i bet there will be articles about how keir was a throughly decent man brutally attacked by an antivax mob set on him by the lovable oaf boris, who gloriously led us through the first dozen covid waves as best as anyone could do
I’m still expecting them to make a tenuous connection between somebody in the crowd and JC so they can blame it all on furious Corbyinistas driven mad by his expulsion from the party.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s been posted before but honestly everybody should watch that Folding Ideas NFT video:

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

Yes, it’s loving long but it is an absolutely brutal, laser focused, and intimately researched takedown of the entire cryptocurrency scene. It’s ultimately shocking just how little effort is made to hide the absolute nakedness of the entire scam. It’s a top-tier watch and you will be 100% prepared to take on any credulous claims about cryptocurrency afterwards.

Guavanaut posted:

You could have bought internet drugs with this one tho
You still can 🤫

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i think train conductors ought to be stout and jolly folks who believe in well-funded public services and good schemes for the children and the young people :)
there was a train conductor on the very small, local service where I used to live who could 100% have been Santa Claus keeping busy during his off season. Big round-bellied chap, extremely smiley and jolly, A+

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm sure that blockchain will solve this, somehow

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

e: Speaking of boomers, if there is a resident thread linguist can they please explain their love of ellipsis for the love of god it's so annoying and sometimes even vaguely threatening.
Do they? gently caress, I love a good ellipsis. Can I still use semicolons and em-dashes?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ellipsis is three dots "..."
:eng101: Ellipsis has its own character: …
Saves you two characters when composing threatening tweets!

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 16, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pistol_Pete posted:

Prince Charles' ugly mug on all our coins and banknotes lol.
There is absolutely going to be a protest movement from people clutching on to all their Liz-fronted monies who can’t bear the thought of handling notes without dear old Queenie on the front and it’s going to be incredible.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

In a nutshell: "better things aren't possible" isn't just the centrist mantra, it's the fundamental plank of their existence.
It’s the political version of “I’d love to get fit but there’s just no time!” and then some prick from the office goes and invites you to go running with them on the weekend. Now I have to invent an entirely new excuse, gently caress you :mad:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

so-called "workers" are shifty and lazy (if they were not, they'd be managers or landlords)
they only do work if managers are there to scream at them and force them to work
managers aren't allowed into people's homes (thanks to the woke brigade!)
ipso facto, people "working from home" are doing nothing of the sort. probably posting 'memes' to their tick tock pages all day :ssj:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Yes. She also doesn't like "middle class parents" which sounds very suspicious given her "tennis players are more aspirational for children than footballers" ideas (but it really just means anyone who rejects her odd Victorian ideas on instruction).

https://twitter.com/slicedmind/status/1495373817832693761
✘ Centre-aligned lists
✘ with the ticky box on the right :mad:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I have seen the good robocop.
the only good robocop is a deactivated robocop

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I still have the NHS Covid app running on my phone (for all the good its done) and it just buzzed me a new notification

'COVID-19 Restrictions have been removed in England'

Woo, we beat the pandemic guys!
Literally had a friend tell us they got pinged this morning and we're going to put off seeing them this weekend now. I guess the app itself is still working (for the dozen people who have it installed)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This is absolutely going to be abused for totally mundane poo poo and/or get hacked and spam everybody in the country. Either way it's going to be the next big thing all my friends will be sick to death of me moaning about, very exciting