Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Speaking of ambiguously gendered TV characters, I finally got around to watching The Watch and I'm surprised I didn't see more complaints about it from the transphobes of Twitter considering the presentation of Vetinari and Cheery's character arc. Maybe they did complain but I was lucky enough not to see.

The show didn't 100% click with me but I thought it was a decent interpretation of Ankh-Morpork and the casting was good. I was pretty unhappy when Detritus dies in episode 2, even if there are hints he's not completely gone. More generally I had a bit of dissonance where familiar parts of the books were taken and moved and the timeline muddled, or elements from one story arc rearranged into another. Not that those are necessarily bad choices for the TV series, but if you've read and reread the books things just feel a bit off. If there's a second season I'll probably watch it, but I won't be too upset if there isn't one either.

I don't think anyone who is transphobic or liable to complain about gender swaps would go anywhere close to a Discworld property.

I do complain about the most recent adaptation though, since it misses a lot of the point of the characters. A female vetinari is perfectly fine (although no-one is ever going to top Charles Dance's Vetinari), but the Cheery we got manages to spectacularly miss everything central and important about her character. Not to mention that 5 minutes after we get the story of the pathos of Carrot being a human sized dwarf we get another human sized dwarf and it apparently wasn't an issue for them.

Just a confused production all round. It feels like they just stuck a Discworld skin onto an unrelated steam punk show they couldn'tget greenlit.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Things are still bad and all, but not that long ago the polls had the Torys with a 20 point lead despite constant scandals. And you know there's only going to be more scandals because the PM is a dipshit.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oops beaten but also that van has just got through it

I visited Cambridge a while ago and they had this exact set-up. So badly signposted and completely unexpected that I missed it and just drove through the buses only bit (luckily it wasn't enforced in any way).

I'm sure there's a right way for this kind of setup to be installed, but every time I hear about one it's always installed in a really stupid way.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

So they brought forwards three firings to distract from one real resignation, but forgot to media manage them and now it's a giant mess that makes them look like clowns?

Actually yes, that's very plausible for the Johnson government.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

*checks earpiece* Another SPAD has left the building

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

The older something like a house or furniture is, the more likely it is to tend towards being good, because the worst stuff would have fallen apart by now.

The Victorian stuff is murder on the electric bill though. Can't insulate the solid walls for poo poo, and your paying for all the heat that's wafting up into the high ceilings.

Built like a castle though. Your place won't be falling down any time soon.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You would need to get external wall insulation if you wanted to make a difference on the heating bill. That needs to be done on a whole building and is very expensive, but given the way prices are going it might actually become worthwhile.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's a neckbeard stereotype, but fingerless gloves are the absolute best thing for keeping hands warm and still be able to phone post or type.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Say what you like about Ricky Gervais but if you think the office was bad you're insane

It was overrated at the time, but it was a solid show. There's just always a rush when a performer outs themself as a poo poo to retroactively declare that anything they ever touched was poo poo.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

There's going to be absolutely no outrage during the next set of traveler clearances, is there. This is pure aesthetics.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I can also confirm induction hobs are great, but touchscreen controls on something that is liato get liquid slashing on it fairly frequently is high idiot design. Make sure you have a teatowel ready while cooking.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I dunno seems like a problem to me if right-wing weirdos are rioting and trying to kill people. Yes it's a chuckle that it was Kier this time, but people like Diane Abott are going to be solidly in the cross hairs of these freaks.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

It can be fun to make fun of the people losing money. But yeah, its not all middle class tech bros.
https://twitter.com/mekkaokereke/status/1476357249840791553
https://twitter.com/mekkaokereke/status/1476362820006465539

What naivety! No, the last round is debtors prisons, where you work for free.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Then you get to Dundee

Which is also actually quite nice and has the best looking landscape around it I've ever seen visible from a British city centre

Dundee has lowkey become very nice without anyone really noticing. Good rail links to Edinburgh and Aberdeen, a cool bridge, and Lemmings statues.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I suppose if you have to be invaded by Russia, having all your Nazis get immediately shot on the front line is the optimal course of action. At least the Russians will have slightly fewer bullets.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cookie Cutter posted:

So who's the expansionist?

Pretty sure the expansionist is Russia, what with it annexing territory from Ukraine.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

See the silly thing is, I wonder if most of the people in the post-Soviet countries would, in the early 1990s, have been more than happy to remain united with one another. Obviously there were exceptions like in the Baltics, but the CIS always felt like a top down imposed thing to me for many. If you asked your average Ukrainian back then if they wanted independence, I'd be shocked if a majority said yes. Most of the USSR was against the breakup at the time, but a minority of nationalists were able to force through secession in all the chaos.

Obviously that has no bearing on 2022 politics, but it's interesting to think that had things gone only slightly differently the idea of a Russia-Ukraine conflict would be a laughable absurdity.

I'd be willing to hear from someone with opinion polling to the contrary, but given Ukraine's history within the USSR has seen multiple forced famines and mass killings to try and pacify the region I would be very surprised to hear if many people living there had a great opinion on the Moscow government during the breakup.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

It would be badly mishandled by Biden and massively boost trumps reelection chances too.

More importantly... if 9/11 was the tipping point, an undeterred Ukraine invasion would mark the definitive end of the US as the dominant superpower.

That already happened though. Putin invaded and annexed Crimea, and Trump Obama did jack poo poo. Russia knows it no longer faces any opposition from the American far right, so they can act with this kind of impunity now.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 14, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

I know the past few years have felt longer than any others, but Crimea happened in 2014, on Obama's watch.

poo poo me

Edit: I think my brain was remembering Trump cancelling the sanctions or something

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Controversial suggestion: change the result of the referendum on the Alternative Vote referendum. Take one step forwards in unfucking the foundations of British politics.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Capital cities breed a special kind of rear end in a top hat the world over. So far Reykjavik has been the only exception in my experience.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

All Jimmy Carr had to do was keep his head down for a week and now no-one cares.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I seriously doubt Bill Bailey is racist

Edit: 85 BC was the first Mithridatic war. The success of Sulla against Mithradates would pave the way for his rise and fatal weakening of the Republican traditions of Rome.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 21, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't think it is necessary to get all "both sides"-ey about terfs and normal people tbh.

I don't think it's so much a "both sides" thing so much as there being a small minority of ostensibly lefty people who are just enjoy being the bully. Meanwhile that describes 100% of TERFs.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

No-ones complaining about straight talking interviews, it's this system of trying to trick people into agreeing or disagreeing with a hyperonline dogwhistle or shibboleth when they have no idea what it means.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

The hard evidence is often the dumbest part at least, like Hadley saying every living thing is male or female

It's such a stupid thing to say, when you can go out and just buy a plant easy, or look at that stick insect on the BBC that had a different sex on each side of It's body.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I'm also ignorant, but that's my take on things too.

I think the only chance of the West getting involved militarily is if Putin pushes forward into Nato protected territory, and even then, I think the West would back down as they all know that they would most likely lose against Russia.

There's literally zero chance of Nato letting Russia invade a member nation, that would invalidate the entire organisation as a mutual defence pact.

There's also no chance that Russia could defeat the combined European Nato armies, let alone the American forces. They have a big enough army to bully their neighbours, but not much beyond that. The reason they're so threatened by Ukrainian Nato membership is that it would prevent then invading.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Quit posting and go watch Robocop. Not directed at anyone, we should all do this.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Yup, and it saddens me that so many people on the left think Russia is their friend, and digest anything from RT/Sputnik news as gospel.

I honestly think we're overestimating how many leftists think that. From what I've seen it's just a handful of nobodies and dimwits, but they're getting a lot of screen time from people dunking on them.

It's a lot more common on the right. The Russian strategy of funding far right groups is paying dividends now.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I'm basing my point of view from observing my social media feed. It's certainly not a majority of leftists, but it's a significant amount.

Sounds like you've got some purging to do. If someone is falling hook line and sinker for RT then their not worth your time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I need to play more Crusader Kings.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Apparently paratroopers have taken the airport outside Kyiv and tanks are on the way from Belarus and Crimea. So it's either going to be full annexation or a puppet dictator if they're going for the capital.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Deketh posted:

Do you use it in your bedroom? Mine is pretty damp, get some mold growth around the window. You couldn't sleep with one running though I imagine?

I used mine in my bedroom. I just leave the door open and it dehumidifies the whole house. I turn it off at night, but it just becomes white noise after a while and I've managed to accidentally fall asleep with it running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was pretty certain they were just going to walk into Eastern Ukraine and call it a day. Easy win, few ugly optics, maybe trade them for international recognitionof Crimea. Going full rogue state feels like it's going to be a big miscalculation in the long run. Yes, they can do it since the Ukrainian military is bad, but the blowback is a lot more severe especially if they start rolling tanks through Kyiv.