Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

That genuinely looks absolutely awful to drive through.

Agreed, and I am comfortable driving on narrow Cornish roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly wish I knew a good method for keeping hands warm

I wear Thinsulate fingerless mitts at (almost) all times. I don't like varieties without even rudimentary fingers, they let in more cold air.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's not ageist to say that people shouldn't be given positions of massive global influence when they are desperately and murderously trying to hold onto an idea of how they understand the world to be. In Blair's case, neoliberalism. In Kissinger's case, nakedly evil US hegemony.

What's ageist is when you imply the problem is caused by people over 60 getting positions of influence, despite both your examples being poisonous, and achieving power, long before that age. I'd rather have Corbyn in power than Luke Akehurst, thanks.

Yes, wrinklies tend to be less mentally flexible; but saying women shouldn't do X because they tend to be weaker (or whatever) is sexist, and the same applies.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you had to keep slaves fed and clothed even when there wasn't work for them to do

No, you didn't. You could sell them. (Or let them starve for that matter, but selling them more profitable.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems just 6 are still alive with UK allegiance

No, that's not a complete list. There are thousands of male centenarians in the UK, who would mostly have been conscripted (plus of course women in the ATS etc).
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ians/2002to2019

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Had to rush out to retrieve neighbours'* wheelie bins from the road. Experienced lots of invigorating sea air in less time than usual, would recommend if firmly anchored down.

*Is there a better word for people with flats in the same house as you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is the cheap stuff false economy? I always assumed the premium was just for fancy weirdos with sports cars.

I tested it many times when doing the same journey and it was definitely worth getting premium for my 16-year-old hatchback. Obviously that would depend on how much more expensive premium fuel was, and I have sadly forgotten what the margin was, but in the days that I remembered it was always worth it.